HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Manchester: What will the team look like next year?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Manchester: What will the team look like next year?

Assuming there's an NHL next season, I fully expect Cam, Brown, Barney, Gleason & Garon to be with the Kings. That's not even considering Clarke, Kostopulous and Smythe, who may be 3rd/4th liners on the Kings.

So where does that leave the Monarchs?

Well, I'd like to see their lines next year look something like the following....

Forwards:

Tambellini/Lehoux/Tukonen (will he even be old enough to play in the AHL?)

The above assumes that Tambs foregoes his senior year, as Cam did. Also, Lehoux should probably get one of those 10-games-stint things with the Kings. Sure, he's playing like a deity right now, but now is a long way off from next season and the NHL. He still has much to prove. If Tuk isn't old enough to play in the AHL next year, then replace him with Hogeboom. The latter's wasting away on the fourth line, regardless of whether or not he's injured.

Karlsson/Pushkarev/Kanko

Sure, call it the Swedish/Russian/Chech-connection! After spending all of 2004/05 on the Monarch's 3rd line, Kanko will be ready to show that he can succeed in a top-6 capacity at the AHL level. The same goes for Karlsson, who's spent the last two season atrophying on Frolunda's 4th line. If nothing else, his presence would lend much-needed size to a Push/Kanko unit.

Third and Fourth lines: the jury's still out. However, Matt Ryan should be there as well as Hogeboom (unless he's on the top line, of course). Still not sold on Steckel. There are a few "lifers" that might very well still be on Manchester this time next year in Schmidt, Guiliano, Welch, and Parros. All things being equal, though, I'd rather have Flinn in LA!

Defense:

Grebeshkov/Lyubushin

Now, this is only because they'll be a log-jam at defense in LA, but I do believe another year would work wonders for Grebeshkov. Lyubushin was paired with Grebs in Russia before the latter came over here. I believe Grebs' presence in Manchester would be a catalyst towards Lyubushin's success at the AHL/NHL level. Well, it would at least help him with the transition in the short run.

Rullier/Petiot

Yes! This is Petiot's last year of college! Let's see what the guy can do in the AHL paired with big Joe. If nothing else, Petiot will learn first hand how to hold down a job in the AHL without ever ascending to the NHL....'Doh! Huge dig at Rullier there, but whatever!

Weaver/ ???....Nolan? Milam? Gabinet???.... Mantayla??????

Goaltenders:

Hauser/ ???....Brust? Marsters? Zaba???.......Fukufuji????????

Anyway, that's my take on the future of the Monarchs. What do you guys think? Oh hell, I forgot to mention Connor James. Oh well, I guess he can take Tamb's spot should he choose to play out his senior year.

Old
11-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks

Karlsson/Pushkarev/Kanko
Man, that would be a nasty line. All of those guys are agitators.

However, none of them are centers.

11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
King Blazer

I'm more concerned with what the Monarchs are going to look like next week, let alone next year...They've got a home and home series with Providence on Friday and Saturday and wrap-up the weekend with Hartford on Sunday. Hell, now I'm concerned with what they'll look like this Saturday...

Last edited by King Blazer: 11-29-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old
11-30-2004, 12:43 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I'd like to see a line of Clarke - Lehoux - Pushkarev, myself

Old
11-30-2004, 02:01 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Lehoux
I hope AM will give this kid a chance

Grebeshkov
Denis will be in LA

Pushkarev
Will stay in Calgary for at least another season

Boudreau said in an interview that Hogeboom and Ryan will be top 6 forwards next season and so will Kanko. Smyth has a 2 year contract so he'll still be in Manchester. I hope the Kings will finally bring Karlsson in NA, I think it's about time.

Old
11-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Lehoux
I hope AM will give this kid a chance

Grebeshkov
Denis will be in LA

Pushkarev
Will stay in Calgary for at least another season

Boudreau said in an interview that Hogeboom and Ryan will be top 6 forwards next season and so will Kanko. Smyth has a 2 year contract so he'll still be in Manchester. I hope the Kings will finally bring Karlsson in NA, I think it's about time.
Concur with Albi here, but Lehoux will really have to impress AM in order for that shot. I don't see him being a successful 3rd-4th line guy, he has shown this year that he needs to be playing with the offensive talent. Munce will fight for the backup role with Brust. If Jens doesn't come over next season he may never come over.

Old
11-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Concur with Albi here, but Lehoux will really have to impress AM in order for that shot. I don't see him being a successful 3rd-4th line guy, he has shown this year that he needs to be playing with the offensive talent.
Yanick has the talent to be a succesful top6 in the NHL. He just has to keep playing this way, with this consistency. AM asks a lot to his players, but he's not so crazy to keep out of the lineup a good scorer. I think Yanick has turned the corner, now he has to follow this track and constantly improving.

Old
11-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Lehoux still has a lot to prove. Anyone can have a career year or a hot streak. The hard part is to keep it going.
I can confidently tell you that ther Kings are watching Lehoux very closely and Boudreau is telling AM and DT everything he does.

Old
11-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Yanick has the talent to be a succesful top6 in the NHL. He just has to keep playing this way, with this consistency. AM asks a lot to his players, but he's not so crazy to keep out of the lineup a good scorer. I think Yanick has turned the corner, now he has to follow this track and constantly improving.
*cough* *cough* Pavel Rosa *cough* *cough*

Old
12-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Grebeshkov
Denis will be in LA.
Well, the thing is this:

Norstrom
Vishnovski
Miller
Dempsey
Quintal
Gleason

Zizka
Corvo

Where is there room for Grebs? Granted, I can see Grebs eventually taking Miller's spot when he's traded but, until that happens, it doesn't make sense for Grebs to make the team as an unplaying, 7th defenseman.

Quote:
Boudreau said in an interview that Hogeboom and Ryan will be top 6 forwards next season and so will Kanko.
I can definately see it in Kanko & Hogeboom, but Ryan? This very website lists Ryan's potential as a "4". I'd rather have Connor James as a Monarch top 6.

Old
12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Albi

Quote:
Well, the thing is this:

Norstrom
Vishnovski
Miller
Dempsey
Quintal
Gleason

Zizka
Corvo

Where is there room for Grebs? Granted, I can see Grebs eventually taking Miller's spot when he's traded but, until that happens, it doesn't make sense for Grebs to make the team as an unplaying, 7th defenseman.
I'm not sure if Miller will be traded or not, but on the other hand Quintal signed a 1 year deal, which means next summer he'll be an UFA. About Denis chance to be in LA, I think it's just up to him. He just has to show he belongs there and AM will find a place for him. Oh, well...who knows what will happen before next Summer...

Quote:
I can definately see it in Kanko & Hogeboom, but Ryan? This very website lists Ryan's potential as a "4". I'd rather have Connor James as a Monarch top 6.
I know where this website listed Ryan, but I also know Boudreau puts him often on the ice when the game's on the line and the kid is doing pretty well (couple of GWs on consecutive nights, one in OT). It's his rookie campaign and he's putting up surprising numbers, I don't think anybody will be shocked to see him on the first 2 lines next season if he keeps playing this way...

Old
12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Fat Elvis

Grebs is better than both Ziska and the women beater and it wouldn't shock me to see him get the nod over them. Quintal is more of a injury fill-in than a #5-6 guy at this point of his career. Miller is hurt for 50% of each season.
That leaves us with Matty, Vis, Gleason, and Dempsey as our best 4. If this is the case, Grebs will get plenty of ice and pp time imo. The dude is good and should play over the not good and broken down (sounds like my car ). I think there will be some changes to youth when the next season starts, just my opinion.

Old
12-03-2004, 08:15 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I honestly don't care about seeing Quintal or Dempsey in the defense pairings when the NHL is resumed. I would want to see:

Visnovsky-Corvo
Norstrom-Miller
Gleason-Grebeshkov

My reasoning for having Corvo > Dempsey, is because I like the way Corvo plays. He can move the puck, and so can Dempsey, but Corvo IMO just does more.

Old
12-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Chartrand

I thought Dempsey played quite well in his limited stint in Los Angeles?

It seems like the depth is solid, just that there's a lack of high end talent.

Old
12-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Fat Elvis

Corvo is horrible, and last season he stank something aweful. You remember the 2 game winning goals he had and forgot about the 250 he was personally responsible for in his own zone. Go back and look at the many threads that were started because of his crappiness. You can only upgrade from him. Dempsey is 5x the player as Joe.

Old
12-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Corvo is horrible, and last season he stank something aweful. You remember the 2 game winning goals he had and forgot about the 250 he was personally responsible for in his own zone. Go back and look at the many threads that were started because of his crappiness. You can only upgrade from him. Dempsey is 5x the player as Joe.
I think eventually Corvo could be as good as Dempsey, but at the moment he is no where near as good....

Old
12-03-2004, 09:33 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I think eventually Corvo could be as good as Dempsey, but at the moment he is no where near as good....
Corvo was brutal last year. Let's see if he could be as good as Holland, first. Right now, his game is very one dimensional, and even that dimension needs vast improvement (he has a great shot, but the boards cringe more than the goaltender since that's where the puck's more likely to go).

I would be happy to trade Corvo. I would be happier if Corvo smartened up and earned a spot on the team and developed into a worthwhile defenseman. One can only hope.

Old
12-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Corvo was brutal last year. Let's see if he could be as good as Holland, first. Right now, his game is very one dimensional, and even that dimension needs vast improvement (he has a great shot, but the boards cringe more than the goaltender since that's where the puck's more likely to go).

I would be happy to trade Corvo. I would be happier if Corvo smartened up and earned a spot on the team and developed into a worthwhile defenseman. One can only hope.
Yes, yes he was. Trust me, watching him night in and night out from my seat at Staples made me realize just how bad he is defensively. He's got a wicked shot, that as you said, hits the boards more often then the back of the net, and the guy is just constantly having to bust his ass to get back into position. Someone always needs guys like Corvo. I think he still has upside, but I'd rather see him do it somewhere else. I wish we could trade him.

Old
12-04-2004, 02:27 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
I think you've mistaken him for Jaraslav Modry?

Old
12-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
No, both of them stunk last year, but it was very easy to distinguish the 2....

Old
12-04-2004, 05:09 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
Modry was 3 times the player Corvo was last year.

Old
12-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Year before maybe. Modry was really bad last year.

Old
12-04-2004, 08:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Dempsey is definetaly a better player than Corvo right now. Zizka might get moved and Quintal will be the 7th d-man.

Tukonen can play in the AHL right now if he was signed, because he is not under the CHL jurisdiction because he doesn't play in it.

Old
12-04-2004, 12:00 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
I really can't find a valid reason to say that Dempsey, and Modry were better than Joe Corvo. Throughout the year I can't remember THAT many defensive mishaps by him. With Modry I can remember him get beat out of the corner a bunch of times.

Maybe you guys are right about Dempsey, but I don't think that its that much of a difference. I like Corvo's offensive talents over Dempseys. But Nathan is probably a little bit more reliable in our own zone.

Old
12-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Fat Elvis

Ties, it has been a long time since we've gotten to see them play. Dempsey has a good offensive side to his game. Corvo played as poorly on defence as Carter did on offence, but you liked him as well. I know I can't convince you that Carter blows, so I'm sure we can't talk you out of how bad Corvo played. That's fine and respectable, it's good to root for an underdog.

Closed Thread