HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Can Mike Smith be just as good next season or better?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2012, 01:57 AM
  #1
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,158
vCash: 500
Can Mike Smith be just as good next season or better?

Mike Smith had a great season for this team and he was able to be great without having the pressure with high expectations. Next season is going to be different as the bar will be set higher(not just for him of course) than ever before owner or no owner. Despite this great season, Smith has had many issues that would make it seem his career in the NHL is done and anything short both the Division title and WCF birth next season will have others seeing him more as a fluke or a flash in the pan.

Thoughts?

I will say that for sure that in case Smith fails or gets hurt somewhere along the way, we need to have a much better back-up goalie in place in case the worst happens. Also, he could be offered an extension as well before the start of the season.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:06 AM
  #2
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
Either way, we need a better back up.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:23 AM
  #3
Guest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
I think it's pretty hard for him to have a better season next year, but I don't think there will be anything to tarnish his reputation from this season next year. I would expect the Coyotes to be another playoff team that isn't wowing anybody due to their style of play.

The fact is, even if there is a new owner in place there may not be a lot of options to dramatically improve this team. It's not like we can make changes necessary to be considered a contender going into next year.

It's like they say, no one ever remembers who finishes 2nd place. In this case they surely won't remember who finished 4th. The Coyotes might gain a slight bit of respect, but they will probably be recognized for what they are now, and not underestimated like they had been the past few years.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:28 AM
  #4
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,158
vCash: 500
Not going into next year, sure. But with the draft, trades, and FA Signings we can become a Cup Contender late in the season.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:50 AM
  #5
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs
 
Sindiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
DeMo finished the year strong after whatever his "family" issues were resolved and played ok. He's played better in the playoffs, so we'll have probably a better year from him, a slightly better year from Yandle and an improved OEL.

Add in steady Klesla, mix in a couple youngsters (Gormley/Stone/Summers) and sprinkle in a "older" veteran and the defense should improve.

The biggest thing I see is that Boeds has taken the step to "knowing" he's a good player and the Boeds/Vermette/Doan line is gonig to be good, very good next season. I think the only thing we're missing is the following (not in any order of importance)

1 - Get rid of Biz and bring in someone who understands that sometimes it's ok to be the only guy getting a 5-min major call.

2 - Can we get by with Vermette as our #1 center? Yes, but I'd prefer to go get an entire 1st line and then have Bods/Vermette/Doan & the Prime Line as our 2 and 3 lines

3 - We need to begin working on the PP now. It will take that long to find something that works.

4 - Need to replace LOL, I wouldn't mind paying Giguere $1.25 to be the backup. As competitive as the playoff race is, you can't throw out LOL every 4/5 game and expect to make it. Plus, Smith may revert to his injury proness and then we'd be screwed without a competent back up

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:03 AM
  #6
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris
 
TeamTippett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phx
Country: United States
Posts: 5,325
vCash: 500
We need a back up that plays a similar style to Smith, I think one of the biggest cluster ****s is defenseman having to adjust their play to two different styles of goalies. Brodeur is a free agent?!

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
  #7
steveott x29*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
We need a back up that plays a similar style to Smith, I think one of the biggest cluster ****s is defenseman having to adjust their play to two different styles of goalies. Brodeur is a free agent?!
turco ?

his puck playing is still the best !!!!!!

steveott x29* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
  #8
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
One of many questions headed into next year. Another year in the system with most of the same core D-men (AA and Rosie probably bothe gone), another year with Burke assuming they resign him and hopefully a bit more maturity in the way he plays......will all lead to another terrific outcome.

Next year, teams will plan to get under his skin, as the Kings did, how he and is teammates handle those situations will be interesting. One guy who might be a great additon is John Scott, NHL's biggest and baddest man, his presence on the ice.....even if only every 3rd or 4th game......could pay dividends. Scott's a UFA.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:01 PM
  #9
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
I wonder if Columbus would part with Mason cheaply if they are read to move on. There probably aren't a great deal of teams willing to take on his cap hit. Steve Mason seems like the perfect reclamation project for Sean Burke.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:18 PM
  #10
Scottrocks58*
Six
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 500
Our backup should never be the difference between making the playoffs and not. Keep Labarbara and spend money where we need it. The LA Kings exposed us in our own end. We could not handle their forecheck. Our top defensemen could not handle Williams, Brown and Kopitar.

We need a big stay at home shut down defenseman. We need bigger (and more skilled) forwards. We don't have to worry about our backup goalie.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:10 PM
  #11
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
Don't let the Cinderella run give you amnesia. If it weren't for a magical late season run, we may have ended up where Dallas did. We got to qualify for the playoffs before we can make it to the finals. It won't he any easier next season, and Mike Smith doesn't have a fantastic injury history. If we have to go with LaBarbera for a 20 game stretch, we will lose fifteen of them and fail to make the post season.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:24 PM
  #12
ScottsdaleYote
Registered User
 
ScottsdaleYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Exactly - if it weren't for our piss poor record when Smith sat, we wouldn't have had to even sweat making the playoffs, and would have run away with the division. Now a few bad bounces the last week of the year, and we don't even make the playoffs. Backup goalie is a position where we can really improve our team without spending a lot of money.

ScottsdaleYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:17 PM
  #13
Guest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
A backup goalie is an insurance policy. You want someone that can keep you in games when he does play. Every team would love to have a young stud as a backup ready to split at a moments notice, or even to push the starter, but it's less common than desired. Most teams in the NHL are in trouble if their starting goalie goes down for any period of time greater than 4 weeks. Many GM's will try to make a move at that time to improve their goaltending depth. As it is, I am not sure Barbs is a competent backup. He didn't really keep the team in games this year, and he's not a guy that you want to give more games to either to help his consistency.

I'm not 100% certain he's a goner, but it'd be nice if they could upgrade the position. I don't expect a move unless they have a trade lined up for Barbs, as they won't carry 3 goalies and they aren't likely to buy him out. We may be able to trade for a more expensive and reliable backup as part of another trade, otherwise I don't see it happening.

Barbs and Smith actually seem to have a pretty good relationship from the interactions I have seen between the two. I can't help but feel Barbs is one of those guys that might be really good in the locker room. There is just something about his personality, and he was the one that got the team to start handing out that WWE belt to the game's MVP. When you add it all up and count that he's a Maloney guy I doubt he's leaving. I hope he's able to rise to the occasion this year.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:43 PM
  #14
Scottrocks58*
Six
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
A backup goalie is an insurance policy. You want someone that can keep you in games when he does play. Every team would love to have a young stud as a backup ready to split at a moments notice, or even to push the starter, but it's less common than desired. Most teams in the NHL are in trouble if their starting goalie goes down for any period of time greater than 4 weeks. Many GM's will try to make a move at that time to improve their goaltending depth. As it is, I am not sure Barbs is a competent backup. He didn't really keep the team in games this year, and he's not a guy that you want to give more games to either to help his consistency.

I'm not 100% certain he's a goner, but it'd be nice if they could upgrade the position. I don't expect a move unless they have a trade lined up for Barbs, as they won't carry 3 goalies and they aren't likely to buy him out. We may be able to trade for a more expensive and reliable backup as part of another trade, otherwise I don't see it happening.

Barbs and Smith actually seem to have a pretty good relationship from the interactions I have seen between the two. I can't help but feel Barbs is one of those guys that might be really good in the locker room. There is just something about his personality, and he was the one that got the team to start handing out that WWE belt to the game's MVP. When you add it all up and count that he's a Maloney guy I doubt he's leaving. I hope he's able to rise to the occasion this year.
This. Barbs' value to the team is off the ice. He had a bad year. It happens. Mike Smith seems to me to be a bit of a hand grenade. Barbs helps keep the pin in. Nothing posted has changed my mind that our most important upgrades are big forwards (sorry, Andy) and a big stay at home defenseman or two.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:00 PM
  #15
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
Exactly - if it weren't for our piss poor powerplay, we wouldn't have had to even sweat making the playoffs, and would have run away with the division. Now a few bad bounces the last week of the year, and we don't even make the playoffs. The powerplay is an area where we can really improve our team without spending a lot of money.
Fixed...

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:09 AM
  #16
Stump
Registered User
 
Stump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cupcake Summit
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Our backup should never be the difference between making the playoffs and not. Keep Labarbara and spend money where we need it. The LA Kings exposed us in our own end. We could not handle their forecheck. Our top defensemen could not handle Williams, Brown and Kopitar.

We need a big stay at home shut down defenseman. We need bigger (and more skilled) forwards. We don't have to worry about our backup goalie.
To be fair, in these playoffs, no team has been able to do much except get out of the Kings way.

It's not a reflection of the Coyotes IMO, though I agree they could use a bruiser back there.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:49 AM
  #17
ScottsdaleYote
Registered User
 
ScottsdaleYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Fixed...
I thought that was a no-no?

Our poor powerplay only cost us 10 goals over an 82 game season. So while yes we need to improve it - those 10 goals probably costs us a few points. Backup goalie cost us more...but you know what? Why can't we fix both??? I don't see how it's an either/or proposition.

...and I appreciate that Barbs is a good locker room presence, but if that's all he is then pay him the minimum salary.


Last edited by ScottsdaleYote: 06-04-2012 at 08:55 AM.
ScottsdaleYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
  #18
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
I thought that was a no-no?

Our poor powerplay only cost us 10 goals over an 82 game season. So while yes we need to improve it - those 10 goals probably costs us a few points. Backup goalie cost us more...but you know what? Why can't we fix both??? I don't see how it's an either/or proposition.

...and I appreciate that Barbs is a good locker room presence, but if that's all he is then pay him the minimum salary.
Barbs has a guaranteed salary this year. I doubt we can move him and we aren't going to just eat his salary. We have a back-up goalie. We have young guys ready to play to replace the Dmen whose contracts are up. We don't have any top line forwards. We can build very solid 2 through 4 lines with the guys still under contract (considering Doan should be back). If we can put a dangerous top line together, we're cup contenders. That's the first place I want us to spend cash. If we can add a banger on D and a replacement for Biz (although Maloney and Tip obviously want to keep him so I doubt he goes anywhere) that would be great but not without at least trying to put together a top line first.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
  #19
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
I wouldn't say its a foregone conclusion that Maloney and Tippett are keen on keeping Bissonnette. I feel like Maloney is sure we need an enforcer and Tippett is less sold on the idea. Concerning Bissonnette, specifically, I don't think Tippett trusts him enough on the ice for him to be even the least bit effective. His leash is so short and his margin for error is so slight. Even with all of the injuries and suspensions, Bissonnette played a total of eight minutes and two seconds in the post season. Over three games, he averaged less than three minutes of ice time per game. And he was not effective at all.
He only managed to dress for 31 games and he averaged less than six minutes per game.

He's so restricted by his coaching staff that he barely even fought. He had just a handful of boughts and none were crucial to momentum or to police duties. Bissonnette said early in the year that he'd like to modify his game and be a player who can skate a regular shift, help the penalty kill, and draw penalties by being an active body checker. Good goals. Goals I think he can accomplish. Dave Tippett obviously doesn't believe in his ability.

I actually feel this is a good time for the Coyotes and Bissonnette to part ways. We need to acquire the kind of player who has proven to be capable of playing the role Bissonnette described for himself. A Mike Brown or BJ Crombeen. Bissonnette will get another chance and I'm sure there are a few teams that would love to have him. I still believe he can be an effective player. I don't believe he can be an effective player for this team.


Last edited by rt: 06-04-2012 at 10:43 AM.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
  #20
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I wonder if Columbus would part with Mason cheaply
rumor has it that the BJ's are thinking of buying him out. After reading Spector this morning, I was thinking about a scenario where Rick Nash becomes a Coyote (yes, it would take a lot of luck, like other teams not stepping up, like RN changing his mind about coming to AZ, GJ wanting to make a significant trade to stimulate the fan base after taking control of ownership).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I wouldn't say its a foregone conclusion that Maloney and Tippett are keen on keeping Bissonnette. I feel like Maloney is sure we need an enforcer and Tippett is less sold on the idea. Concerning Bissonnette, specifically, I don't think Tippett trusts him enough on the ice for him to be even the least bit effective.
I would like the Coyotes to try to acquire a player or 2 that can drop the gloves, but can also play Coyotes type of hockey and make Bissonette expendable. Chipchura and Torres last season pretty much made Biss obsolete, but i wouldn't say a liability, just not a factor in winning...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
  #21
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.
 
Devils Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,682
vCash: 500
Maybe someone should start a thread to discuss whether or not the Coyotes should look for a different backup goalie, and we can post our thoughts on what kind of season we expect from Mike Smith next season?

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
  #22
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
You bumped a ten day old thread to say that?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.