HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 NHL Playoffs: (8) LA Kings vs (6) NJ Devils SCF

Old
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurdocktor View Post
But what if the turnbuckle was exposed?
Unless there is a steel chair involved you play on.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I can't shake the feeling that somebody who isn't Weber gets a game.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Color me surprised, thought for sure that was gonna get him a game.
He probably would have had Zetterberg not went down like he'd taken a gunshot to the left temple. C'mon, it was a very dirty hit, but the embellishment was just terrible, it rivaled the twins, Kesler and the diving nucks.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
He probably would have had Zetterberg not went down like he'd taken a gunshot to the left temple. C'mon, it was a very dirty hit, but the embellishment was just terrible, it rivaled the twins, Kesler and the diving nucks.
I'm not sure that had anything to do with it. It wasn't as bad as some people are making it sound, but there's nothing remotely hockey-like about slamming a player's head into the glass. The act itself was egregious, even if Zetterberg did sell the call. Shannahan blew this one, big time.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
I'm not sure that had anything to do with it. It wasn't as bad as some people are making it sound, but there's nothing remotely hockey-like about slamming a player's head into the glass. The act itself was egregious, even if Zetterberg did sell the call. Shannahan blew this one, big time.

I agree. I am not happy with the kind of message it sends that this is ok.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:23 PM
hbk

Honestly I'm sick of the crying for supplemental discipline all the time. The playoffs are a war. A flat out knock em drag out fight to the finish. Settle it on the ice and don't worry about Shanaban and his videos.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:16 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

An amusing thought that occurred to me. Weber makes $7.5m, and was fined $2.5k, coming to 1/3000th of his salary. He played 2,040 minutes on 2,297 shifts this season. So he was fined the equivalent of 0.76 shifts worth of salary or 41 seconds of playing time.

edit: fixed math, had my fractions reversed

Last edited by mouser: 04-12-2012 at 06:27 PM.
mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:19 PM
XX
... Waiting

A non hockey play that can potentially result in an injury should always be a suspension. One game without Weber isn't going to decide the series. It would be worth it to send a message. But I have a feeling that Shanahan realizes the rough stuff, however borderline, is part of the playoffs and is good for business.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
An amusing thought that occurred to me. Weber makes $7.5m, and was fined $2.5k, coming to 1/3000th of his salary. He played 2,040 minutes on 2,297 shifts this season. So he was fined the equivalent of 1.3 shifts worth of salary or 88 seconds of playing time.
Sadly lots people who make way less end up getting fired for less and often lose if not everything but almost everything they have after the firing.

What a world eh?

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
A non hockey play that can potentially result in an injury should always be a suspension. One game without Weber isn't going to decide the series. It would be worth it to send a message. But I have a feeling that Shanahan realizes the rough stuff, however borderline, is part of the playoffs and is good for business.
technically every high stick falls under that category. i maintain that we need to get past this supplemental discipline for every time a player takes a hit. Settle it on the ice.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:39 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
technically every high stick falls under that category. i maintain that we need to get past this supplemental discipline for every time a player takes a hit. Settle it on the ice.
How so? A stick is part of the equipment used to play the game. There's no hockey play where taking your opponents head from behind and smashing it into the glass is appropriate like that. That was some hollywood street fight crap.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
hbk

Quote:
How so? A stick is part of the equipment used to play the game. There's no hockey play where taking your opponents head from behind and smashing it into the glass is appropriate like that. That was some hollywood street fight crap.
hitting an opponent with a stick is not a "hockey play". Neither is punching a player in the face.

I don't like the crybaby nature of what hockey is becoming. You don't like how you are being treated on the ice then do something about it. Running home to tell mommy doesn't cut it for me. I'm not a fan of that type of mentality.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
hitting an opponent with a stick is not a "hockey play". Neither is punching a player in the face.
Nonsense hbk. A high stick is reasonably expected to happen, whereas what Weber did is clearly not.

Quote:
I don't like the crybaby nature of what hockey is becoming.
I don't either, but there's a difference between a borderline/dirty hockey play and what Weber did.

Quote:
You don't like how you are being treated on the ice then do something about it. Running home to tell mommy doesn't cut it for me. I'm not a fan of that type of mentality.
First off, it's the Red Wings. They don't fight. Secondly, I know you'd be up in arms if a Hawk purposefully stomped on a Coyote on the ice or did something similarly dirty. Neither belongs in the game. Period.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:50 PM
hbk

Quote:
Nonsense hbk. A high stick is reasonably expected to happen, whereas what Weber did is clearly not.

I don't either, but there's a difference between a borderline/dirty hockey play and what Weber did.

First off, it's the Red Wings. They don't fight. Secondly, I know you'd be up in arms if a Hawk purposefully stomped on a Coyote on the ice or did something similarly dirty. Neither belongs in the game. Period.
I'd want my team to stand up for themselves.

Yes it's a penalty. Maybe even suspendable. I just don't think that I would want my team crying to league to get a player out of the game.

The Red Wings may not fight but that's their choice. The Predators do and if you are going into a 7 game war with them then you better be prepared to get a little dirty. The Red Wings cannot rely upon the league to save them from getting physically destroyed in this series. If they do they will lose in 4 games.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:56 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Yes it's a penalty. Maybe even suspendable. I just don't think that I would want my team crying to league to get a player out of the game.
I haven't seen any lobbying through the media by the Red Wings or 'crying.' Feel free to correct me if you have found something that shows otherwise. I mean that sincerely.

Old
04-12-2012, 07:02 PM
hbk

Quote:
I haven't seen any lobbying through the media by the Red Wings or 'crying.' Feel free to correct me if you have found something that shows otherwise. I mean that sincerely.
I'm commenting on fan sentiment. The minute a player takes a hit there's a post calling for a suspension. I'm sick of that mentality.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
I'm commenting on fan sentiment. The minute a player takes a hit there's a post calling for a suspension. I'm sick of that mentality.
That I can agree with but to suggest what Weber did was in anyway acceptable within the confines of the game is more than a stretch. He grabbed a players head and slammed it into the glass. The fact that Zetterburg is ok doesnt change that.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I think the shots are something like 26-7 in favor of the Bruins right now. The Bruins are really good, but with all of the weapons Washington has, that's pretty pathetic.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Muppet
Howlin' For You

Lol @ Turris being a -3 against NYR today.

edit: Oh typical, he gets a secondary assist with 3 minutes to go.

Last edited by Muppet: 04-12-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Muppet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Rangers in 4-2

San Jose and St Louis appear to be heading to OT as well as Bos and Washington as the Caps goalie is playing good.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:37 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
That I can agree with but to suggest what Weber did was in anyway acceptable within the confines of the game is more than a stretch. He grabbed a players head and slammed it into the glass. The fact that Zetterburg is ok doesnt change that.
I have never indicated that I believed the Weber hit wasn't at the very least a penalty. I'm just tired of the constant crying from fans every time a player from their team is hit.

Edit: My first response is I want my team to take care of the issue. If it was say Vermette or Whitney who was the victim of the hit I would want someone to dump the puck into Weber's corner the next game and send Torres in at full speed. That would send the message. I view the playoffs as a full out war though.

Last edited by hbk: 04-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old
04-12-2012, 09:45 PM
SweYote

Blues-Sharks OT to watch during intermission. Nice.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Sharks win the the 2nd OT.

Rangers Boston and SJ win tonight.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

The Pacific division is sure off to a good start this playoff season.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Tonights games

Game 1 NJ vs FLA
All Game 2's

Pittsburgh vs Philly
Detroit vs Nashville
LA vs Van