HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Second half a mystery to Vanek

Old
04-09-2012, 02:54 AM
Royisgone

vCash: 500
Lots of love and excuses for Vanek, eh?

So where's his dislocated shoulder or some other hidden major injury?

Lots of guys are dinged up and playing through stuff all season long. I expect more than that to account for Vanek's poor 2nd half.

Ruff's tirade in that last practice makes more sense now, in terms of how he obviously called out Vanek. I told you it suggested Vanek was not nursing some big injury.

I'd love to say it's time to move Vanek, but who's going to take his salary? We're stuck with a whole bunch of players for a while, for varying reasons. Roy couldn't be moved last offseason b/c he's worthless and Regier grossly overvalues him. Leino will be here forever as he is another mediocrity and thanks to Darcy's poor management, he's now a highly overpaid mediocrity.

Vanek will never fetch the value Regier (and on one else) thinks he is worth.

As it is, I'll be content with Roy somehow being moved by next year. That's a start! Won't change the team a ton, but it's a start.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:24 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
It's definitely frustrating as a fan. I too think a lot of it is mental. Vanek certainly comes across as the kind of guy who just gets super down and hard on himself when things don't go his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
Leino will be here forever as he is another mediocrity and thanks to Darcy's poor management, he's now a highly overpaid mediocrity.
The big positive about Leino is that his next season can't possibly be anything but better than this season... right?

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Hockeyfan6781
Jack's Place

Paul Hamilton on the radio just a few mins ago seems to believe Vanek has finally had enough of Lindy Ruff and possibly quit on him. He mentioned other players telling him Lindy rides Vanek harder than others on and off the ice (locker room). If true, one or both has to go imo.

Hockeyfan6781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Him getting "sucked in" to the funk just shows he's a complimentary piece to a team and not a lead figure. Someone who's taking control of a team will rise above the rest of the team sulking, see: Pominville, Jason. Vanek going down with the ship just shows he's another player who needs someone to lead him.
Very well stated. I like Vanek, but he's become rather expendable to me this season for exactly that reason. Another dressing piece from the Rochester core that often disappoints down the stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan6781 View Post
Paul Hamilton on the radio just a few mins ago seems to believe Vanek has finally had enough of Lindy Ruff and possibly quit on him. He mentioned other players telling him Lindy rides Vanek harder than others on and off the ice (locker room). If true, one or both has to go imo.
If that's true, they can both go. If Vanek is half-assing it, then he's quitting on the team and the fans as well as Ruff. I don't mind losing talent like that to get some guys with some more winner and less loser in them.

The culture of this hockey club still has some changing to do. I don't necessarily WANT to see Vanek traded, but it's time to start acknowledging that he's not going to be a leader on this team.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:53 AM
punkr0x

I think a lot of it has to do with Lindy tinkering the lines. Vanek - Adam - Pominville were so hot to start the season, but not responsible enough defensively. So the lines get shuffled, I think Vanek probably played with everyone on the team at some point this season and that probably makes consistency tough to achieve.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
If that's true, they can both go. If Vanek is half-assing it, then he's quitting on the team and the fans as well as Ruff. I don't mind losing talent like that to get some guys with some more winner and less loser in them.

The culture of this hockey club still has some changing to do. I don't necessarily WANT to see Vanek traded, but it's time to start acknowledging that he's not going to be a leader on this team.
I'm not so sure...it depends on just how and why Ruff is on his case so much. I can see after 3-4 years of that, eventually it could wear any player down mentally. I wouldn't mind if Vanek had an Ivan Drago moment, where he picks up his manager and tosses him like a rag doll into the stands, and shouts to the rafters that he fights for himself, not the manager. Obviously there's a slightly different outlook (instead of himself, the team) in hockey but still, maybe Vanek SHOULD tell Ruff to **** off.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'm not so sure...it depends on just how and why Ruff is on his case so much. I can see after 3-4 years of that, eventually it could wear any player down mentally. I wouldn't mind if Vanek had an Ivan Drago moment, where he picks up his manager and tosses him like a rag doll into the stands, and shouts to the rafters that he fights for himself, not the manager. Obviously there's a slightly different outlook (instead of himself, the team) in hockey but still, maybe Vanek SHOULD tell Ruff to **** off.
One could make the argument that's what the second half of this season was.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:11 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
I think he gets wayyyy too much heat for leading our team in goals the past 5 years....lol..
Seriously? He didn't this year... but yea.

Satan was here for 8 seasons; led the team in goals in 7 of the 8 and was 2 goals behind Audette in the other; yet he was berated every chance someone got. Streaky, slumpy, showed up when it didn't matter. Just like Vanek.

I really started to like Vanek earlier this season. I seriously fell into the trap thinking he could be the leader this team needed. Bull. ****ing. ****. Shame on me.

Same ol' Vanek.

Ruff is at fault for a lot of things. But if Vanek hates Ruff, he needs to stand up to people in charge and make it known. Playing like dog crap isn't going to do any good.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:17 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan6781 View Post
K. Whats his excuse every other year?

My problem is this guy never puts in a full season.

I know guys are going to have ups and downs and that scoring all 82 games is impossible; but 2 points in the month of December? 6 in January? Not good enough.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Sabresfansince1980

You can cherry pick low points of LOTS of other players around the league. Putting blame on any of them is easy if the TEAM misses the playoffs, but that ignores other issues too. Vanek can and does shoulder blame, if the team was any better or healthier last season, he would've gotten more credit for the season he had (which IMO was his best). It was problems below the first line and elsewhere that had much more to do with this disappointing season. Vanek will never be the player that some want him to be and will never produce to his contract, but he is a player that any team would want and maybe the only player on the Sabres that consistently paid the price to get around the crease and take abuse for dirty goals.

Yes he can be better, but overall, with a better team in roster spots that are much more lacking, Vanek would be a valuable piece to a Cup contender.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with Lindy tinkering the lines. Vanek - Adam - Pominville were so hot to start the season, but not responsible enough defensively. So the lines get shuffled, I think Vanek probably played with everyone on the team at some point this season and that probably makes consistency tough to achieve.
What?

Vanek played with Pommer right up until early March. Adam and Roy were their centers for most of that time. The pairing of Vanek/Pommer were about as consistant as it gets. Then Vanek was put with Hodgson and they stayed together for the rest of the season.

Vanek started struggling at the start of January. Getting moved away from Pommer in early March had nothing to do with him struggling. In fact getting him off the top line and on to the 3rd line (with Hodgson) eventually got his game going again (at least a little bit).

Not have continuity or getting shuffled with a ton of different linemates was not Vanek's problem at all.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I think one good solution would be to play a capable scoring winger with him, whether he stays at LW or moves to RW.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Kruschiki

Who would you rather have in his prime? Thomas Vanek or Miro Satan?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Very well stated. I like Vanek, but he's become rather expendable to me this season for exactly that reason. Another dressing piece from the Rochester core that often disappoints down the stretch.

"but it's time to start acknowledging that he's not going to be a leader on this team.... as long as Lindy Ruff is around"

:shrug:

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote