Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Baldy

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Now that the Sting have ended the 2011 season in familiar fashion, I suppose it is time to move on to the upcoming season.
Any thoughts on the draft? How did we do? Should we have picked more D'men, or should we be looking for JB to be making some trades for some toughness in the back end, or is he thinking about just outscoring the opposition and damn the defence and goaltending?

Old
04-09-2012, 08:55 AM
NewStingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Now that the Sting have ended the 2011 season in familiar fashion, I suppose it is time to move on to the upcoming season.
Any thoughts on the draft? How did we do? Should we have picked more D'men, or should we be looking for JB to be making some trades for some toughness in the back end, or is he thinking about just outscoring the opposition and damn the defence and goaltending?
I don't know much about any of the picks except Josh Jacobs. He was the number one rated defenseman available in the entire draft ahead of Mckeown that went to Kingston according to OHL Central Scouting and second only to Connor MacDavid. He will be a stud! He has not accepted an invite to the under 17 program in the US which is very encouraging for Sting fans. He will be able to step in right away in the top 4 and sets up the back end for years to come. Let's hope we get him.

Old
04-09-2012, 08:02 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

http://ohldraft.ilap.com/ps2012/

http://www.sarniasting.com/article/s...onger-in-draft

Old
04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
krauss72

Jacob's twitter says he can't wait to play for Michigan State. Jim also indicated in that article he isn't committed to coming to OHL yet which is probably why he dropped so far in the draft. Time for are Michigan connection to get busy. I think Hopey and Boucher came from the same honey baked club.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:48 PM
jwalk

IMO Jocko did some very good things early on as a GM by recruiting guys like Murphy, and Boucher (MacQueen's picks), and by trading for Sarault, and Basso. These were no small accomplishments, however as the injury list built he hit the panic button and significantly overpaid for some of his later aquisitions . Make no mistake this was the payoff year for Sting fans. Long time fans waited for years for this.It was a failure mainly due to the fact that the coach couldn't get his collection of players to play as a team.

The only saving grace is that hopefully the GM will be able to recoup some of these valuable picks he traded away with the some of the extra 92's on the roster.

One thing I can see going forward is that because Jocko is a very polarizing figure (a lot of people already really don't like this guy and its likely to get worse) is that if the team struggles early next year there will be a lot of heat on both him and the Ciccarelli's . Could be a bit of a gong show next year if things start off poorly. Hard to say what the ultimate end result might be.

Personally, I'm not optimistic.The same dismal cycle has repeated itself over, and over. You build thru the draft in this league and the Sting's prospects have been significantly weakened over the next few years because they went for it all this year.The fact that the management regards this year as "successful " is a joke.Team should be reasonably competive next year but being realistic I can't see the team improving on this years finish. Like the Leafs, and the Clippers, and the Bengals some teams are destined to be also rans because of chronic mismanagement.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Sempron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
IMO Jocko did some very good things early on as a GM by recruiting guys like Murphy, and Boucher (MacQueen's picks), and by trading for Sarault, and Basso. These were no small accomplishments, however as the injury list built he hit the panic button and significantly overpaid for some of his later aquisitions . Make no mistake this was the payoff year for Sting fans. Long time fans waited for years for this.It was a failure mainly due to the fact that the coach couldn't get his collection of players to play as a team.

The only saving grace is that hopefully the GM will be able to recoup some of these valuable picks he traded away with the some of the extra 92's on the roster.

One thing I can see going forward is that because Jocko is a very polarizing figure (a lot of people already really don't like this guy and its likely to get worse) is that if the team struggles early next year there will be a lot of heat on both him and the Ciccarelli's . Could be a bit of a gong show next year if things start off poorly. Hard to say what the ultimate end result might be.

Personally, I'm not optimistic.The same dismal cycle has repeated itself over, and over. You build thru the draft in this league and the Sting's prospects have been significantly weakened over the next few years because they went for it all this year.The fact that the management regards this year as "successful " is a joke.Team should be reasonably competive next year but being realistic I can't see the team improving on this years finish. Like the Leafs, and the Clippers, and the Bengals some teams are destined to be also rans because of chronic mismanagement.
three picks for robertson who barely played due to injury. five picks plus maxwell for jp yet max totally outplays jp on a much younger team. the brown trade for a pick and nievens. and kujo for for the three months of spooner. panic button for sure.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStingfan View Post
I don't know much about any of the picks except Josh Jacobs. He was the number one rated defenseman available in the entire draft ahead of Mckeown that went to Kingston according to OHL Central Scouting and second only to Connor MacDavid. He will be a stud! He has not accepted an invite to the under 17 program in the US which is very encouraging for Sting fans. He will be able to step in right away in the top 4 and sets up the back end for years to come. Let's hope we get him.
Best player will be Pat White. Only reason he wasn't drafted earlier was his size.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
StungbySting

If JB can convince Michael Downing and Josh Jacobs to commit next year I will be impressed. Maybe that`s why he didn`t draft too many defenceman. Maybe he knows something he hasn`t made public yet. Purely speculation on my part

Old
04-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
If JB can convince Michael Downing and Josh Jacobs to commit next year I will be impressed. Maybe that`s why he didn`t draft too many defenceman. Maybe he knows something he hasn`t made public yet. Purely speculation on my part
I believe Jacobs has signed a tender to Indiana USHL.....so I think he is out...

Old
04-11-2012, 11:13 AM
upnorth

No pink slip yet what a joke how can he keep his job. Have some balls ownership and get rid of this guy no matter what it takes and replace him with a broom and you'll be better off.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:59 PM
mesh

hey golf68 i do not think any players jack traded would bash him when he probably done them a favour

Old
04-11-2012, 03:28 PM
upnorth

i've told him to his face and he knows how i feel so lets make that very clear. He only acts tough to the kids not someone his age. He still deserves a pink slip

Last edited by Majik1987: 04-13-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: let not talk about another poster
Old
04-11-2012, 03:54 PM
krauss72

Well golfer, it looks like all of us get to hit the greens early again this year. Fact is, we all have the right on these forums to express are opinions. There has been many a poster come and go but one thing remains constant, the passion for the Sting. Simply put, if you don't like a post, best advice I can give is to ignore it. Some posters have a little more inside info than most of us STH's, so it's hard to know motives and fact from fiction. Truth is, upnorth is not a fan of Jacko while you seem to have a more favourable opinion. But I do agree with Jwalk in that Jacko has been a very polarizing figure, one way or the other. Regarding the draft, yes, on paper it looks ok. We finally got some size which we desparately need especially after trading away Ritchie and Kuj and losing Rensfeldt. I am really excited about Hargrave but think Renaud may be a project. Jacobs would be a huge land but my buddy in the states says hes not coming. But we also heard that last year with Boucher and Murphy. Last year is in the past, its history. Unfortunately, history seems to repeat itself around here as you should well know. Jacko went for it all this year and the next year or two will indicate how costly that decision was. Now we get to see if he is capable of player development or if he will continually try and trade/buy himself a team. In this old mans opinion we had way to much player turnover and he tried to win it all in his first year. I am thrilled that I finally got to go see the Sting in a PO round. Was hoping for more like 2-3 rounds but......

I posted this a while back when we were still in the PO, I think in response to one of your first posts.

The coaching issue is simply that Jacko, like him or not, is being outcoached. Feel free to convince me otherwise. Anyone can assemble great players and compile them on a roster. It takes a whole different skill set to get the team buy into your systems, manage all the egos, build team chemistry, motivating the team individually and collectively, gain players respect, build and maintain confidence, ice a competitive team that wins yet develops the youngins, play the chess game of matching lines, Pk, Pp, etc...... plenty of examples in the league of outstanding coachs. I just don't see Jacques of that caliber YET. I am glad to hear theres a player that speaks highly of Jacko. Again glad he has someone in his corner. But most of these lads publicly know how to answer questions so as not to ruffle feathers.

My personal opinion has not changed. My hope is that Jacko learns from this year and has the character to honestly self reflect on what went well and what didnt. You know that article in the paper was a show. What else are Cicerellis going to say? We all know they to are very disappointed. There are some obvious issues that need to be adressed and if we dont, we Sting fans will be dealing with the same history repeating itself over and over. What do you think about this. What if we had kept Kuj and Ritchie. Would there size have helped contain Sag's big line? Did the big name trades actually help us that much? Last I checked, Maxwell is statistically the league leader in POs. Ritchie is playing huge minutes on Niagara's shut down line and Kuj ended up being more than a PPG player, once he was given the oportunity. Kuj and Ritchie BOTH could have still been here next year and in my estimation without the trades we would have faired the same and kept how many picks? Add there size to the size of are new 1 and 2 picks.......I wasn't a fan of all this player movement as you can see. Trades are only as good as there results right?

Old
04-11-2012, 06:17 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Doesn't appear that Jacobs will be joining the Sting (not this year at least) if you follow his love for Michigan State on twitter.

The difference between Jacobs and Murphy/Boucher was that the latter were drafted into the NHL so I am sure their NHL organizations put some pressure on them to join the Sting for developmental reasons. Sarnia may get Jacobs to report but I am pretty sure it won't be this year.

As for Jacko, sure he didn't have the greatest of years but he won't be getting his walking papers right now...not after only one year. Give him another year to see what he can do with this team and it's new players.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:05 AM
mkraayen

Sting Rookie Mini-Camp

Typically the Sting have a rookie mini-camp the weekend following the draft, but with the draft having been moved ahead a whole month, is that happening this weekend? Or will they wait until May when things in junior hockey have nearly come to a halt?
If it's this weekend, does anyone know on-ice practice & scrimmage times?

Old
04-12-2012, 07:23 PM
dansk55

As for Jacko, sure he didn't have the greatest of years but he won't be getting his walking papers right now...not after only one year. Give him another year to see what he can do with this team and it's new players.[/QUOTE]

It became apparent the team had no heart down the stretch. While yaki is a star, he collapsed. Spooner was a huge waste of talent. Afraid of being hit. Kujo should have been kept. As for the other trades, Brown? no value. JP? played well considering the weakness in front of him. Getting rid of Ritchie was a no brainer, but swapping a zillion picks for JP, plus Maxwell. Wow.
Was Jock oblivious to what was going on? If had the gonads, he would have benched Yaki and spooner and the other carpetbaggers in at least one game when they showed no inspiration. All the kids were doing was mocking him and he had no clue how to handle it, or what to do.
He should have spent more time coaching, or learning, than running the beer stands and ordering toilet paper. Coach and manager is one thing, but add building manager to that, and you are asking for trouble, and that's what we got.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Sempron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
As for Jacko, sure he didn't have the greatest of years but he won't be getting his walking papers right now...not after only one year. Give him another year to see what he can do with this team and it's new players.
It became apparent the team had no heart down the stretch. While yaki is a star, he collapsed. Spooner was a huge waste of talent. Afraid of being hit. Kujo should have been kept. As for the other trades, Brown? no value. JP? played well considering the weakness in front of him. Getting rid of Ritchie was a no brainer, but swapping a zillion picks for JP, plus Maxwell. Wow.
Was Jock oblivious to what was going on? If had the gonads, he would have benched Yaki and spooner and the other carpetbaggers in at least one game when they showed no inspiration. All the kids were doing was mocking him and he had no clue how to handle it, or what to do.
He should have spent more time coaching, or learning, than running the beer stands and ordering toilet paper. Coach and manager is one thing, but add building manager to that, and you are asking for trouble, and that's what we got.[/QUOTE]

agree. 100%.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:17 AM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
He should have spent more time coaching, or learning, than running the beer stands and ordering toilet paper. Coach and manager is one thing, but add building manager to that, and you are asking for trouble, and that's what we got.
agree. 100%.[/QUOTE]

I personally don't think Yaki had fully recovered from his last blow to the head. I know there's tests and he was supposedly cleared but I also feel like he was rushed back or pressured to play due to play offs or draft status. It was obvious from game one he just wasn't himself. Spooner on the other hand looked dis interested and hoping to just move on. That trade and the Anderson trade might be just as stupid as the Campbell trade. It's amazing what GM's do when they panic and get desperate. Both first year guys trying to make a name for them self in year one. Indeed they did. Not sure it's a favorable one though.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:02 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraayen View Post
Typically the Sting have a rookie mini-camp the weekend following the draft, but with the draft having been moved ahead a whole month, is that happening this weekend? Or will they wait until May when things in junior hockey have nearly come to a halt?
If it's this weekend, does anyone know on-ice practice & scrimmage times?
I've been informed by management that they will likely make an announcement about mini-camp next week on dates/times.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Miller4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
No pink slip yet what a joke how can he keep his job. Have some balls ownership and get rid of this guy no matter what it takes and replace him with a broom and you'll be better off.
He didn't trade upnorth himself, but....

Ill say this. Upnorth is known to those who spend some time in the Sarnia parent group this year. I don't think its to hard to figure out if you know the personalities of the group.

Most of the resentment/anger comes from a personal site, not one that sits back and takes a look unemotionally. I also wish he would just go to Jacques himself and air out his laundry, but he is no longer with the team, so that may be hard.

Keep in mind, his messages comes out of spite.

Last edited by Majik1987: 04-13-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
04-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Sempron

lmao. parent group? what POPS? pissed off parents-sarnia. i think upnorth said he confronted jacques so hes not hiding. the problem is ive herd of more people pissed off this year than in the last several years. so im not sure your discritpion helps much other then hes not with the team no more.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:09 AM
dansk55

Interesting view from Barry Trotz G and Mail. He was a hard ass but found it got know where. Sound familiar? ... After you read below, I think he, and many others, need to learn how to deal with the Y generation...They want a say, and they want to be led by example. Workshop and seminars are available...lol.. no really they are...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2402461/
As a side note, are we saying UPnorth is part of the fan club that smoozes and drools over players or he has a parental interest?

“At first, I'd be barking at guys and losing my mind when things weren't going real well, and I noticed, when I did that, they got worse and worse,” Trotz said. “I hadn't figured out, these were all fringe players from all the other teams. What I've learned is if you're like that, it gets old in a hurry.

“I really think that coaching now is like being a business leader; you've got to create an environment where people feel they have a voice. It's not the old days, where it was ‘my way or the highway.' Players are owners in the clubs now ... and my job is to get these 23 or 24 individual businesses to work together.”

Old
04-14-2012, 12:01 PM
krauss72

Interesting. One that Jacko might want to read. Looks to be a proven model. Some of are leagues newer coaches have figured it out and look how they have there teams performing (Gilbert, Walker) as well as some veteran coaches (Spott, Velucci).

“According to Poile, what separates Trotz from others caught in the revolving, hired-to-be-fired coaching door is his self-awareness and the fact that “there are no airs about him. There is no vanity. He’s self-deprecating. He’ll poke fun at himself if the situation is there. For me, more than anything else, I seized on how good a person he is. That trumps everything. Barry’s got a saying and I use it all the time too. He says, ‘always do the right thing.’ That’s what Barry’s always about. He always does the right thing.”
“It’s not about tearing it apart when you lose some games. It’s about bringing it together. When things aren’t going well, it’s easy to jump off the ship. The harder thing is to hold on to the ship in difficult waters – and keeping it on course.”
Trotz says the strategy to empower the players is deliberate: “We give the players ownership. We don’t micromanage them. We ask them for their input and listen to their input and make it work. That’s part of the culture.”
“the one thing that should be equal is respect. Coaching, at this level, is not about X’s and O’s. The people at this level all know the X’s and O’s of the game. It’s about getting people to buy in to what you’re doing as a group. I have one simple rule. ‘I want you to get better because that makes us better. I want you to have a good career. I want you to have an understanding of what your potential is.’”

Old
04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
mkraayen

NJ Devils have signed Reid Boucher to an amateur tryout with AHL affiliate, Albany. Good news is, he won't be using the USA-loophole and playing in the AHL full time a year early, as a 19 year old.
"We will most likely sign both for next year, but Boucher will go back to junior," Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said.
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...her_to_am.html

Old
04-15-2012, 12:52 PM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraayen View Post
NJ Devils have signed Reid Boucher to an amateur tryout with AHL affiliate, Albany. Good news is, he won't be using the USA-loophole and playing in the AHL full time a year early, as a 19 year old.
"We will most likely sign both for next year, but Boucher will go back to junior," Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...her_to_am.html
Congratulations Boucher! Well deserved. That lad was one of are better players against Saginaw.

Closed Thread