*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2012, 04:36 PM
king sirus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
This team isn't going to be competing to win the Western conference and Gally clearly won't be back next year. Why not move him for picks and younger players? Why let him walk for nothing? Sounds like one of those bricks might have landed on your head if you can't figure that out.

Sorry, I didn't think I would have to explain this to you, I gave you to much credit thinking you would understand my sarcasim, my bad.
I know they won't be competitive this year and that they might as well make trades for the future but my point was Miller comes in we have a 3 year plan, McQueen comes in we have another 3 year plan, now with Jocko we will have another 3 year plan, my point being new manager say old story blah blah blah.

Now do you get it. Sheeeeesh

Old
08-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Sting Fire

So we will need a new Captain, my money is on Hottot being named, what do others think!

Old
08-29-2012, 05:17 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Lavy and Tigers are on the right page. I'm sure Sarnia would love to keep Gally and co. Until the deadline. Hell the team would too but partnof asset management is getting the most value and that would be sooner than later. Plus, you'd hate to see injuries strike these assets that make them virtually untradeable.

I'm guessing the Beaulieu looked at his squad during camp and realized that it's further behind than he'd like (prospect development, etc) and decided to act sooner than later. It sucks for the fans losing these kids but it also opens up spots for other kids to shine and there are a few that could do just that this season.

It will be interesting to see if any other dominoes fall

As for captain, if Hottot stays then he's a no brainer. If not, Alberga or Sarault would be good too

Old
08-29-2012, 06:35 PM
krauss72

Murphy would be a good one to although he probably will be traded as well this year.

Old
08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
fanofdo

This is one of those situations that everyone is correct. Tigers and dean are correct that you need to trade older assets sometimes to rebuild.

HOWEVER - two years out of the playoffs, one in, win two games, now another rebuilding session? ".......and let's raise prices well in excess of inflation????? Hmmmmmmm. the point is, we have seen this poor act before, all lavy is saying is break this pathetic cycle once in this century.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Sempron

bang on fanofdo!

Old
08-29-2012, 07:28 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
bang on fanofdo!
.....unfortunately....for the loyal fans.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Goal Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
bang on fanofdo!
NOT a good week what with being DELETED .I will try and be nice to Jacko did not know he was so thin skined I to will miss char great young man , but a good move for him. I think you will see one more move to Owen Sound yet, Alberga name is out there, And how long can/will we keep DeAngelo. Being true to my word must say i hope you have a good day Jacko

Last edited by Goal Mouth: 08-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old
08-30-2012, 07:45 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
This is one of those situations that everyone is correct. Tigers and dean are correct that you need to trade older assets sometimes to rebuild.

HOWEVER - two years out of the playoffs, one in, win two games, now another rebuilding session? ".......and let's raise prices well in excess of inflation????? Hmmmmmmm. the point is, we have seen this poor act before, all lavy is saying is break this pathetic cycle once in this century.
The raise in the ticket prices is because of the city of Sarnia adding a surcharge to it. Also, it is the city that is charging for parking not the Sting.

Old
08-30-2012, 08:20 AM
NewStingfan

Quote:

I have one question. Why do you continue to follow the team? As I mentioned I am new to the Sting and this will be my second year as a season ticket holder and follower of this board. Every comment you make is negative towards the management and ownership which is your right. We get it! But your schtick is getting old. Although I disagree with some of the moves made by ownership and management, I still enjoy watching the Sting and the OHL. If I had as much anger and negativity as you, I would stop going to games and following the team. I enjoy reading some of the posts by some of the regular contributors like dean youngblood, sempron and krauss and the others. Their posts are not always positive but they give us insights to the team and league. Your posts don't contribute anything other than your anger towards the management and ownership.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:11 AM
krauss72

Welcome. All fans, new and old are welcome. The truth of the matter is some of us have been around forever. We've seen the cycle and how teams operate both successful and nonsuccessful ones. I'll bet in ten years you to may have more insight as you gain more experience with are organization as well as the league. Fan actually does have some good insight. Not that we always have to agree but he is a very informative poster. Occasionally we all get so frustrated and spill are inner thoughts. Some of us have been around long enough to see patterns and us not learning from are mistakes. I think that is what Fan is referring to.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStingfan View Post
I have one question. Why do you continue to follow the team? As I mentioned I am new to the Sting and this will be my second year as a season ticket holder and follower of this board. Every comment you make is negative towards the management and ownership which is your right. We get it! But your schtick is getting old. Although I disagree with some of the moves made by ownership and management, I still enjoy watching the Sting and the OHL. If I had as much anger and negativity as you, I would stop going to games and following the team. I enjoy reading some of the posts by some of the regular contributors like dean youngblood, sempron and krauss and the others. Their posts are not always positive but they give us insights to the team and league. Your posts don't contribute anything other than your anger towards the management and ownership.
Sorry pal this is no schtick this is reality. You are receiving the insight of a long time fan that has seen years and years of futility(18 years as opposed to 2 !) with one constant - the ownership of the team. Other than maybe the Frontenacs there isn't a team in the league that can even come close to the level of futility that the Sting have achieved since 1994. The best way to describe would be an Epic Failure. Hate to be a wet blanket - but the fan is 100 per cent correct - until ownership changes hand nothing will change. The team looks to have good talent this year but will likely not finish better than middle of the pack in the West with an early exit in the playoffs for the reasons stated above. This team with the Hunters running the show could win the West if the situation was handled right. GONG.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Stevie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
The raise in the ticket prices is because of the city of Sarnia adding a surcharge to it. Also, it is the city that is charging for parking not the Sting.
You might want to call City Hall and double check that. The mayor is pretty surprised with the charge for parking from what I have heard and isn't too fond of the idea. As for the raise in ticket prices I am not sure on the extra surcharge but you may be right about that.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Stevie04

Does anyone have a list of the player cut or players left in camp?

Old
08-30-2012, 10:22 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Just guessing here:

Notable Known Cuts: Cam Ashley, Brett Dalton, Patrick White, Ryan Vendramin, Zach Core

Sticking around would be: Anderson, Barrick, Hottot, Sarault, Alberga, D.Brown, Latta, Bryan Moore, Nikandrov, Mater, Dundas, Boucher, Basso, DeAngelo, Duininck, DiPaolo, Kuzmyk, Murphy, Nemecek, Goldobin

Unknown: Hnatiw, Chapman, j. King (team liked what they saw but he's likely a year away), Brothers (no room), Sproviero (ditto), Neal. I'm guessing only Chapman could stick around as an extranD but even that might be a stretch

Old
08-30-2012, 11:33 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

$8 for a cup of beer ? guess some people just have to have that beer in their hand during a hockey game.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:51 AM
fanofdo

I have one question. Why do you continue to follow the team?
As much as I would like to, I go now to watch other teams and individual players – both for the Sting and other teams.

As I mentioned I am new to the Sting and this will be my second year as a season ticket holder and follower of this board. Every comment you make is negative towards the management and ownership which is your right.

Not so, but most are and they deserve it. Results speak for themselves.

We get it! But your schtick is getting old.

No, I don’t think you really do. People are once again on the bandwagon to fire the coach – now that is getting really old. I don’t have the data to back it up, but I doubt there is any other OHL franchise that has paid out more contracts due to firings or made more coaching changes due to firings over the last 15 years. If there is I would like to see who it is.

Although I disagree with some of the moves made by ownership and management, I still enjoy watching the Sting and the OHL. If I had as much anger and negativity as you, I would stop going to games and following the team.

You shouldn’t be giving me advice as to what I should do – it could go both ways. If I was as uniformed as you…

I enjoy reading some of the posts by some of the regular contributors like dean youngblood, sempron and krauss and the others. Their posts are not always positive but they give us insights to the team and league. Your posts don't contribute anything other than your anger towards the management and ownership.

Not true, quite a few positive comments back – both on the board and U2U. The truth is that in many cases, I back up what I say with fact. Last year I took the time to compile stats from 2000, on wins, playoff games played and playoff games won. Quite a few people were stunned just how bad the Sting’s record was and were very complimentary. Additionally, I have been very positive the players and chose not to criticize those that aren’t progressing as much as they would. Add to that, go back and read my posts – quite accurate in predicting what would happen – last year for instance, I pointed out several times that the team needed at least one other shutdown defence – in the end they got beat in the playoffs when they couldn’t contain Saginaw’s bigger forwards. There are tons of other examples.

In the end, you don’t have to read my posts – could really care less.

For those that are interested, I have updated the previously mentioned stats;

Number of Wins since 1999 / 2000
London 1093
Plymouth 1060
Kitchener 1043
Windsor 982
Ottawa 974
Guelph 949
St Mikes / Missy Majors 939
Belleville 921
Barrie 918
Brampton 918
Soo 871
Owen Sound 858
Peterborough 837
Erie 833
Saginaw/nb 820
Sarnia 820
Sudbury 797
Kingston 795
Missy/Niagara 782
Oshawa 759

Playoff games played since 1999/2000
Plymouth 160
London 155
Ottawa 151
Barrie 140
St Mikes / Missy Majors 133
Kitchener 127
Windsor 127
Belleville 118
Guelph 106
Brampton 102
Sudbury 101
Missy / Niagara 99
Erie 81
Soo 74
Peterborough 71
Oshawa 70
Saginaw / nb 67
Owen Sound 62
Sarnia 51
Kingston 38

Playoff Wins since 1999/2000
London 97
Plymouth 89
Ottawa 82
Barrie 78
Kitchener 71
Windsor 70
St Mikes / Missy Majors 70
Belleville 68
Missy / Niagara 49
Sudbury 48
Guelph 46
Brampton 46
Erie 42
Peterborough 38
Owen Sound 31
Soo 31
Oshawa 31
Saginaw / nb 23
Sarnia 14
Kingston 9

Old
08-31-2012, 08:33 AM
NewStingfan

Quote:
I have one question. Why do you continue to follow the team?
As much as I would like to, I go now to watch other teams and individual players – both for the Sting and other teams.

As I mentioned I am new to the Sting and this will be my second year as a season ticket holder and follower of this board. Every comment you make is negative towards the management and ownership which is your right.

Not so, but most are and they deserve it. Results speak for themselves.

We get it! But your schtick is getting old.

No, I don’t think you really do. People are once again on the bandwagon to fire the coach – now that is getting really old. I don’t have the data to back it up, but I doubt there is any other OHL franchise that has paid out more contracts due to firings or made more coaching changes due to firings over the last 15 years. If there is I would like to see who it is.

Although I disagree with some of the moves made by ownership and management, I still enjoy watching the Sting and the OHL. If I had as much anger and negativity as you, I would stop going to games and following the team.

You shouldn’t be giving me advice as to what I should do – it could go both ways. If I was as uniformed as you…

I enjoy reading some of the posts by some of the regular contributors like dean youngblood, sempron and krauss and the others. Their posts are not always positive but they give us insights to the team and league. Your posts don't contribute anything other than your anger towards the management and ownership.

Not true, quite a few positive comments back – both on the board and U2U. The truth is that in many cases, I back up what I say with fact. Last year I took the time to compile stats from 2000, on wins, playoff games played and playoff games won. Quite a few people were stunned just how bad the Sting’s record was and were very complimentary. Additionally, I have been very positive the players and chose not to criticize those that aren’t progressing as much as they would. Add to that, go back and read my posts – quite accurate in predicting what would happen – last year for instance, I pointed out several times that the team needed at least one other shutdown defence – in the end they got beat in the playoffs when they couldn’t contain Saginaw’s bigger forwards. There are tons of other examples.

In the end, you don’t have to read my posts – could really care less.

For those that are interested, I have updated the previously mentioned stats;

Number of Wins since 1999 / 2000
London 1093
Plymouth 1060
Kitchener 1043
Windsor 982
Ottawa 974
Guelph 949
St Mikes / Missy Majors 939
Belleville 921
Barrie 918
Brampton 918
Soo 871
Owen Sound 858
Peterborough 837
Erie 833
Saginaw/nb 820
Sarnia 820
Sudbury 797
Kingston 795
Missy/Niagara 782
Oshawa 759

Playoff games played since 1999/2000
Plymouth 160
London 155
Ottawa 151
Barrie 140
St Mikes / Missy Majors 133
Kitchener 127
Windsor 127
Belleville 118
Guelph 106
Brampton 102
Sudbury 101
Missy / Niagara 99
Erie 81
Soo 74
Peterborough 71
Oshawa 70
Saginaw / nb 67
Owen Sound 62
Sarnia 51
Kingston 38

Playoff Wins since 1999/2000
London 97
Plymouth 89
Ottawa 82
Barrie 78
Kitchener 71
Windsor 70
St Mikes / Missy Majors 70
Belleville 68
Missy / Niagara 49
Sudbury 48
Guelph 46
Brampton 46
Erie 42
Peterborough 38
Owen Sound 31
Soo 31
Oshawa 31
Saginaw / nb 23
Sarnia 14
Kingston 9
I apologize if you thought my post was an personal attack. I certainly understand the stats you provided and the Sting's performance can only be categorized as ugly and awful. My point was why do you continue to follow them? I know if something bothered my that much, I certainly wouldn't continue to pay $$ or spend the time or energy to follow them. You don't have to answer as I understand your position. Thanks. NewStingFan

Old
08-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Baldy

Roster as per Sting website:
http://www.sarniasting.com/roster/li...r/2011/team/17 and from the Observer:
http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/08/31...e-roster-moves

Last edited by Baldy: 08-31-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add link
Old
08-31-2012, 10:21 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
$8 for a cup of beer ? guess some people just have to have that beer in their hand during a hockey game.
Why is it wrong for people to drink at a hockey game? If beer is offered at a game by the concessions what's so wrong with buying one. I would prefer it not to be 8 dollars but I can always ask my friend to sneak in a couple tall cans in her purse, cheaper and I enjoy hockey.

Old
08-31-2012, 04:33 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie04 View Post
You might want to call City Hall and double check that. The mayor is pretty surprised with the charge for parking from what I have heard and isn't too fond of the idea. As for the raise in ticket prices I am not sure on the extra surcharge but you may be right about that.
Maybe the team needs money----heard that alot of players that were drafted didn't even receive a jersey, found that kind of funny.

Old
09-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Stevie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
Maybe the team needs money----heard that alot of players that were drafted didn't even receive a jersey, found that kind of funny.
The facility is apparently hurting for money. If your money is that tight dont go upgrading all this stuff to make it nicer for the players. Yes it is nice and great and helps attract players but if you can't afford it, it isn't very smart to try and pass it off on your fans but increasing prices on a team that has never won a championship.

Old
09-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Stevie04

Alright so there are some people complaining on facebook that the Sting got blown out 8-2 last night in a pre season game. Pre-season is a good tool to help coaches assess where players are and what needs to be worked on so to me losing in pre season isn't a big deal at all.

Also someone said that this is mostly the same team from last year so to argue that here is the following:

Returning Forwards: Alberga (OA), Hottot (OA), Sarault (OA), Dundas, Boucher, Hottot, Latta , Galchenyuk (maybe)

New forwards: Bryan Moore, Brett Hargrave, Davis Brown*, Alexendre Renaud, Daniel Nikandrov*, Nathan Mater*, Nikolay Goldobin (import), Jordan Addessi

So you basicially have half and half mix of new and old up front.
* Brown only saw 14 games last year, Nikandrov saw 7 games, Mater saw 19 games. Even in those games those players saw very limited ice. So to say that those players were there and played is not really all that accurate in my opinion.

The defensive core will pretty much be the same but losing Chiarlitti is a problem that will hurt the blue line and I don't think anyone can argue that. The addition of DiPaolo as a regular and import Nemeck is really the only change to the back end. But when all your players don't know your system getting trapped in your zone is pretty easy to do.

Old
09-01-2012, 07:42 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie04 View Post
Alright so there are some people complaining on facebook that the Sting got blown out 8-2 last night in a pre season game. Pre-season is a good tool to help coaches assess where players are and what needs to be worked on so to me losing in pre season isn't a big deal at all.

Also someone said that this is mostly the same team from last year so to argue that here is the following:

Returning Forwards: Alberga (OA), Hottot (OA), Sarault (OA), Dundas, Boucher, Hottot, Latta , Galchenyuk (maybe)

New forwards: Bryan Moore, Brett Hargrave, Davis Brown*, Alexendre Renaud, Daniel Nikandrov*, Nathan Mater*, Nikolay Goldobin (import), Jordan Addessi

So you basicially have half and half mix of new and old up front.
* Brown only saw 14 games last year, Nikandrov saw 7 games, Mater saw 19 games. Even in those games those players saw very limited ice. So to say that those players were there and played is not really all that accurate in my opinion.

The defensive core will pretty much be the same but losing Chiarlitti is a problem that will hurt the blue line and I don't think anyone can argue that. The addition of DiPaolo as a regular and import Nemeck is really the only change to the back end. But when all your players don't know your system getting trapped in your zone is pretty easy to do.
Who was in nets last night?

Old
09-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Sting Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Who was in nets last night?
Brodie Barrick 1st half 2 goals allowed, Knicholas Dawe last half 6 goals allowed

Closed Thread