*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
All the Sting get for Alberga is a 6th rounder? Seems a little light for a guy that the coach gave liberal icetime to both on the PK and the second unit PP.Didn't they give up a 4th rounder to aquire him ? Kind of makes you think that the rest of the league didn't put anywhere near the value on this player as the GM did. Glad it isn't my money financing this.
He had 2 years worth of eligibility left at that point, now he has one. Fairly obvious to the decline in return.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:16 AM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Wrong OA? How so? Everyone of these OAs have good value but, with all due respect to Alberga, he was probably the most expendable

- Sarault led the team in points and was damn impressive in camp. Plays ALL minutes
- Hottot (local boy) bleeds competitiveness, can score, fight, so on and so on
- JP Anderson, ticket sales and wins rest on the back of him last year

I think Jacques made the right decision here. Its not good that we have to see another great kid and team player like Alberga leave but when you have 5 similar OAs then someone has to go.

I get that Sarnia fans (especially long term ones) are down in the dumps but not everything needs negative light shed on it. Good trade. Had to be done. Don't see how this needs to
Be criticized too.

I like the way this team is coming together
Totally agree with your assessment. Add that this is the right thing to do by the player. If Sarnia keeps 4, one must sit, hard to do when you were a regular player and there are spots in the league. Dom is an example of the many good hockey players in the OHL that might not have the big stats.

I believe it was fair value for the trade if you look at history.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out - what would this team look like with Kujo and a bunch more picks in the cupboard? The way it is shaping up is that we again won't be developing a younger goalie.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Baldy

I was watching the CTV news out of Kitchener last night and there was a segment on the Sting. JB was interviewed and he gave it pretty hard to the media for negative reporting. He mentioned that last year was the 1st time in 4 years that the Sting had more than 35 wins, which was something considering the amount of loss time to injuries.
The most interesting part was when JB mentioned that Yakupov would be here in town this/next week and it was still uncertain where he would be playing this coming year in the event of an NHL lockout. Beaulieau and CTV made it sound as if Yakky could wind up in a Sting uniform again. I'm not sure I believe that is a possibility. Yaky would take a roster spot from someone else and it is guaranteed that he would be gone the second NHL clubs opened camps. Larionov also said earlier that Yakky was going to the KHL in the event of a lockout. Could he dress for Sting pre-season games??

Old
09-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Mark Glavin ‏@Glav75
Also received word this morning that Nickolay Goldobin has obtained his Canadian VISA and flight is being booked for this weekend.

I believe during the lockout you can carry 3 European's, but only 2 can play. At least that is the case in the Q as the Remparts have Grigorenko/Kucherov/Sorensen right now and it's OK because Kucherov is out until November with an injury.

So in theory, if the rules are the same in the O, Yakupov can play with the Sting right now. 1 of Goldobin/the Czech D would have to sit.

here's the video talked about from CTV:

Old
09-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Baldy

Thanks for the link. Damned if I could find it this morning.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Mark Glavin ‏@Glav75
Also received word this morning that Nickolay Goldobin has obtained his Canadian VISA and flight is being booked for this weekend.

I believe during the lockout you can carry 3 European's, but only 2 can play. At least that is the case in the Q as the Remparts have Grigorenko/Kucherov/Sorensen right now and it's OK because Kucherov is out until November with an injury.

So in theory, if the rules are the same in the O, Yakupov can play with the Sting right now. 1 of Goldobin/the Czech D would have to sit.

here's the video talked about from CTV:

From what I understand is that you can carry 3 imports but only 2 can play. The first two that play are the only 2 you can dress that season, the other can remain on your roster until dealt or released.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:50 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Totally agree with your assessment. Add that this is the right thing to do by the player. If Sarnia keeps 4, one must sit, hard to do when you were a regular player and there are spots in the league. Dom is an example of the many good hockey players in the OHL that might not have the big stats.

I believe it was fair value for the trade if you look at history.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out - what would this team look like with Kujo and a bunch more picks in the cupboard? The way it is shaping up is that we again won't be developing a younger goalie.
I understand the 4 player and three play rule, but IMO the only reason Hottot was kept...hometown boy. Jock gave up 40 points and aggressive forchecking for a 6th. And wasn't the sixth we got back the sixth we gave away for someone who really didn't pan out?

Old
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Talus

will Yakupov get the playing time he needs if he goes to the KHL.

all the top Russian players plus the Swedes and some N.A players will

be headed to the KHL.

Yakupov could be doing a lot of bench warming as i see it.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
I understand the 4 player and three play rule, but IMO the only reason Hottot was kept...hometown boy. Jock gave up 40 points and aggressive forchecking for a 6th. And wasn't the sixth we got back the sixth we gave away for someone who really didn't pan out?
Have to agree about hometown boy.alberga had a bigger heart for sure and only a 6th round to boot.if u r going to give him away at least give him to another division.mark my words he will come back to haunt us this year

Old
09-06-2012, 08:39 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Have to agree about hometown boy.alberga had a bigger heart for sure and only a 6th round to boot.if u r going to give him away at least give him to another division.mark my words he will come back to haunt us this year
Maybe it's possible that one of the other OAs wasn't willing to move. Maybe Hotter didn't want to leave home in his final season. If true then he would carry no value. However? Give me Hottot over Alberga. I like his all-around game much better, even though both are great players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus View Post
will Yakupov get the playing time he needs if he goes to the KHL.

all the top Russian players plus the Swedes and some N.A players will

be headed to the KHL.

Yakupov could be doing a lot of bench warming as i see it.
Really? Benched? Doubtful.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:19 PM
krauss72

Quote:
One of many who may or will come back to haunt us. The list continues to grow. Good luck to Dom. Another great character lad.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:04 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
One of many who may or will come back to haunt us. The list continues to grow. Good luck to Dom. Another great character lad.
How will this haunt Sarnia? He's was one of 5 OAs. You can only carry
3. Explain which other OA you'd rather have leave? Anderson? Sarault? Hottot? Hard to believe it will haunt anyone considering this IS his last year

I'm interested in your explanation. Because Hottot can do everything Beergy did, plus score more and fight more.

To its fans, this franchise can't do anything right in their eyes.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:46 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
3. Explain which other OA you'd rather have leave? Anderson? Sarault? Hottot? Hard to believe it will haunt anyone considering this IS his last year

I'm interested in your explanation. Because Hottot can do everything Beergy did, plus score more and fight more.

Great post Dean, I am an Alberga fan, but I would take Hottot over Alberga any day. The only difference that I see between the 2 is Hottot will drop the gloves with anybody to protect a teammate. Also being that he will be the captain this year, he wasn't going to be traded.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:59 AM
CoyotesHFNHL

i dont understand how recieving a 6th round pick for OA Dominic Alberga is a bad thing? Especially when the team won't be battling the London's Kitchener's and Plymouth's this season. Especially when they have 4 OA's pre-trade. Not contending so let a kid take Albergas spot on the third line.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:03 AM
massey

Quote:

Sorry,guess no fan is to question JB on his choices or have an opinion.no need for this site.JB choices worked well last year.
Watched most of this years training camp,Sarault and Alberga hands down very strong,Hottot stood at center ice waiting for a pass instead of working,captains should show by example.Made every game last year,yes hottot stood up for his players but many stupid penalties especially at end of his shifts.No discipline.goal scoring abilities equal,and finally who was the first player to give up playing last year.End of this discussion.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
krauss72

I was just stating my opinion. I said nothing about Hottot of which I am a big fan of as well. I simply think Dom brings a lot of heart and soul to this team. Or used to anyhow and I'm certain he will do that in Kitchener now to. And to be honest while I like all of are OAs there are others that would help restock the barren cupboards a little quicker. Guess it was just a rant as I feel Dom brought character to this team.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:21 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
I was just stating my opinion. I said nothing about Hottot of which I am a big fan of as well. I simply think Dom brings a lot of heart and soul to this team. Or used to anyhow and I'm certain he will do that in Kitchener now to. And to be honest while I like all of are OAs there are others that would help restock the barren cupboards a little quicker. Guess it was just a rant as I feel Dom brought character to this team.
Krauss72, which one of the OA do you think JB should have traded instead of Alberga?

Old
09-07-2012, 01:14 PM
krauss72

I am not biting. There is no specific answer that will please everyone so this old man will keep his opinions just that, his opinions. Truth be told in the end whoever can and will bring the most in return would be the smartest thing to do for another rebuild. Give these young lads the ice time they need to develop and keep vets with character to help mentor them.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:18 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
I am not biting. There is no specific answer that will please everyone so this old man will keep his opinions just that, his opinions. Truth be told in the end whoever can and will bring the most in return would be the smartest thing to do for another rebuild. Give these young lads the ice time they need to develop and keep vets with character to help mentor them.
Let me say that I definitely understand where you are coming from but it wasn't stated clearly in the post I quoted above. Sarault and Anderson definitely would have brought more in return but it would have angered a ton of fans (already upset fans) as trading Anderson and/or Sarault
Would have hurt the teams season success tremendously. Ideally, you trade the OAs with most value (Sarault/Anderson) but at the same time, they still have to sell tickets. Tough situation. I still think you see Sarault moved if (and only if) Sarnia falls out of playoff contention. Of course, that depends on return value

Old
09-07-2012, 10:30 PM
massey

Quote:
Let me say that I definitely understand where you are coming from but it wasn't stated clearly in the post I quoted above. Sarault and Anderson definitely would have brought more in return but it would have angered a ton of fans (already upset fans) as trading Anderson and/or Sarault
Would have hurt the teams season success tremendously. Ideally, you trade the OAs with most value (Sarault/Anderson) but at the same time, they still have to sell tickets. Tough situation. I still think you see Sarault moved if (and only if) Sarnia falls out of playoff contention. Of course, that depends on return value
I agree dean,Sarault should have a great year.What r ur thoughts if he would trade galy also at that time also if he could get something in return if they fall out of contention as this could easily be his last jr season

Old
09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
I agree dean,Sarault should have a great year.What r ur thoughts if he would trade galy also at that time also if he could get something in return if they fall out of contention as this could easily be his last jr season
Trading Galchenyuk is a no brainer especially if a contender is willing to overpay (and they should be). If Sarnia wants to avoid another long rebuild then Gally won't play a full season in Sarnia...unfortunately.

Old
09-08-2012, 08:08 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Since I am the one who sort of launched the final OA tiff...Hottot should be traded...based on the assessment of Massey...he was spot on... exactly what I saw...however, hottot would not go anywhere if traded ... If he doesn't want to work, certainly don't rub salt in the wound and make him captain...although YB and a few others would have u think otherwise about his value to Sarnia, he gets in a fight once in a while, more rare these days, tries hard sometimes, and knows he has the upperhand. If you try and trade him, he'll play B.
Alberga, and most other OAs at least give it all.. Sarault and Anderson are keepers...just wish the team had a support system for these two OAs, and not on life support... which looks it is going into rebuild X.
BTW, what's this colorado kid like?

Old
09-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Sting Fire

For what it's worth:

Sting Refuse To Acknowledge Fans’ Complaints and Hush Up Media

http://www.theobserver.ca/ur/story/499250

Old
09-08-2012, 12:49 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Fire View Post
For what it's worth:

Sting Refuse To Acknowledge Fansí Complaints and Hush Up Media

I do agree with some of the comments in this article but not all.Tickets prices though,this is a take it or leave it.If u dont like them then please dont buy.I am a season ticket holder and have visited London numerous times,we r still cheaper overall for a hockey game.Parking-This has been a PR communication nightmare for the Sting.Don't wait till AFTER the season tickets were p/u to announce.IF the ownership is loosing money as was announced only AFTER the jacking of prices,then please communicate BEFORE the price increase announcements.Now if u r going to charge the 2$ parking,at least hire staff to handle this job.We went to Elton John concert last nite,the 2$ fee was charged AFTER the event.We went early to avoid the lineups but Long lineups to get out afterwards.What a dog show.Apparantly they eventually quit charging after they had long lineups that were not moving.

Old
09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Fire View Post
For what it's worth:

Sting Refuse To Acknowledge Fansí Complaints and Hush Up Media

The original blog, before deleted, referred to two more Sting employees axed.
slippery slope for observer...but it was up long enuff for someone to read it.

Closed Thread