*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Stevie04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdashOw View Post
So with the season opener less than 48 hours away, do you think JB is going to start the season with everyone he has, or downsize it a bit more.

There will be a brief item about this in my Observer article that will be online later today (and in print tomorrow), but the answer is he's carrying all 25 guys currently on the roster. 14F, 8D, 3G, basically for the same reasons he gave (or doesn't give) in this article: http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/09/12...l-roster-spots
Basically it boils down to depth: He didn't like how they scrambled to deal with injuries last season and he wants more bodies around to start this year.
I believe for a guy like Dawe, they can keep him 5 games before they have to card him, so it could just be a start of the year thing to ensure Anderson is healthy. (THIS LAST IS SPECULATION, NOT SOMETHING I'VE BEEN TOLD)
Anyword on Captains in this article? or they just dont want to say anything?

Old
09-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Sarnia Sting ‏@StingHockey
The new Captain of the Sarnia Sting is Alex Galchenyuk @AGally94

Alternate Captains are Craig Hottot @Hottot16 , Charlie Sarault @sarault12 , Connor Murphy @Cmurphy5 and Reid Boucher @ReidBoucher

Hottot and Sarault will wear the A's at home for the first half of the season, Murphy and Boucher on the road

Old
09-20-2012, 04:58 PM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie04 View Post
Anyword on Captains in this article? or they just dont want to say anything?
There will be something else up on the captains today, but as of yesterday they were being closed mouthed about it. I knew it was coming, but didn't know who it would be.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:49 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The new Captain of the Sarnia Sting is Alex Galchenyuk @AGally94

Alternate Captains are Craig Hottot @Hottot16 , Charlie Sarault @sarault12 , Connor Murphy @Cmurphy5 and Reid Boucher @ReidBoucher

Hottot and Sarault will wear the A's at home for the first half of the season, Murphy and Boucher on the road
Excellent choice for sure. I agree with the above.Go Sting

Old
09-20-2012, 08:51 PM
CP31

Is there any where games are livestreamed for free?

Old
09-21-2012, 05:06 PM
johnnydrum

Hello all my friends in Sarnia!
Happy New Season!
When all the pros are letting themsleves down, thank goodness we have these good, young, outstanding athletes to follow.
Congrats to Alex Galchenyuk on being names Captain.
Enjoy the game!

Old
09-22-2012, 12:17 PM
StungbySting

How many games is Hottot sitting out to start the season?

Old
09-22-2012, 01:30 PM
lazyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
How many games is Hottot sitting out to start the season?
3 games. 1 down, 2 to go

Old
09-22-2012, 01:43 PM
StungbySting

He didn't get anything for the head check in pre-season?

Old
09-22-2012, 01:51 PM
lazyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
He didn't get anything for the head check in pre-season?
Actually I forgot about that...I was at that game and thought he probably should, but I just checked the OHL site which is right up to date and it did not list anything for that incident. I guess he/we got away with one for that.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:27 PM
StungbySting

In happened right in front of us (was sitting in section 109 and I'm shocked he didn't get anything. Got away with one I guess

Old
09-23-2012, 03:50 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Is Alex Basso injured? Got him in my OHL pool...just questioning to see if anyone knows how long he'll be out if he's in fact hurt.

Old
09-23-2012, 03:55 PM
krauss72

Rumour at the rink is out with a concussion.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Zippy316

How's Boucher looked?

Old
09-23-2012, 05:20 PM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Rumour at the rink is out with a concussion.
Yes. 4-5 days at minimum, Jacques said.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:09 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

The season has started and now this thread becomes quiet. I had to miss the opening two games so I can't chime in but I'd like to hear some chatter on how some guys did

Heard JP stood on his head vs KIT

Tough opening weekend against two powerful teams

Old
09-24-2012, 09:28 AM
krauss72

You are correct JPA stood on his head. We are in a world of hurt if he ever goes down. Boucher looked good as did Sarault.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:26 AM
fanofdo

Despite getting one point out of four, Sarnia did not look bad and certainly could have won both games.

The good;
- Conner Murphy is a rock out there as is JP. I donít really think people fully appreciate how valuable Murphy is out there. JP played great as did Murphy. Murphy is probably the most talented defence this organization has seen to date. I donít even want to think about this team without either.

- I predict Reid Boucher will lead the world with shots at the net. He will shoot from anywhere and is dangerous from almost anywhere. Has been robbed a couple of times already. His play at the defensive end has improved.

- The rest of the defence has played well, vulnerable to larger forwards though as mentioned below.

- DeAngelo Ė still 16? Wow. What a skater and puck handler Ė compare him head to head with Murphy from Kitchener and I think he will be better.

- Hargrave, liked the way he played Friday Ė size, can shoot and not afraid to get into the greasy areas of the rink. Played much better than the reports on this board from the pre season. Would have liked to see him play more on Sunday.

The not so good;

- PP - The need for one or more people to be able to fire a one timer is evident. There was good puck movement on the PP, missing the one timer shot to open ice and create scoring chances.

- This team has trouble with the cycle against teams with bigger forwards, especially when Murphy is on the bench. To compensate, JB brings the forwards in tighter, opening space for the D. Add to this, teams are pounding the front of our net Ė it is obvious that they want to get into JPís face.

- We need to go harder to the net Ė watch how many times there are 3 opposition forwards in front of our net banging away and how many times our forwards are doing the same.

The really bad;

- Attendance Ė worse than even I imagined. 3278 on opening night, an all time low, Sunday, 2458. I predicted that average attendance will fall below 3000 this year, if this trend continues it could end up as low as 2800. Any lower and we can move back into the Barn.

For what it is worth, I am predicting that this year will be the year that the owners sell. I could be wrong but here is my reasoning;

- The value of the franchise has been going down due to attendance and will continue to go down. It will most likely drop below 3000 as mentioned and while there are certainly individuals worth the price of admission, that only sells so many tickets. Team success will always account for really successful seasonís ticket sales.

- If you watch NON subsidize teams (teams with owners that donít care if they lose money), 2500 seems to be the average attendance number that owners sell at. We are headed there.

- There isnít really a bright light at the end of the tunnel next year and possibly the year after. Whatever happens this year will probably be worse next year, and maybe even the year after. It looks like Sarnia has grown tired of this act and the $2 parking fiasco, even though it was reversed has undoubtedly contributed to people staying away. This stupidity of this move shows why their record is what it is.

Igor?

Old
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Sting Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Despite getting one point out of four, Sarnia did not look bad and certainly could have won both games.

The good;
- Conner Murphy is a rock out there as is JP. I donít really think people fully appreciate how valuable Murphy is out there. JP played great as did Murphy. Murphy is probably the most talented defence this organization has seen to date. I donít even want to think about this team without either.

- I predict Reid Boucher will lead the world with shots at the net. He will shoot from anywhere and is dangerous from almost anywhere. Has been robbed a couple of times already. His play at the defensive end has improved.

- The rest of the defence has played well, vulnerable to larger forwards though as mentioned below.

- DeAngelo Ė still 16? Wow. What a skater and puck handler Ė compare him head to head with Murphy from Kitchener and I think he will be better.

- Hargrave, liked the way he played Friday Ė size, can shoot and not afraid to get into the greasy areas of the rink. Played much better than the reports on this board from the pre season. Would have liked to see him play more on Sunday.

The not so good;

- PP - The need for one or more people to be able to fire a one timer is evident. There was good puck movement on the PP, missing the one timer shot to open ice and create scoring chances.

- This team has trouble with the cycle against teams with bigger forwards, especially when Murphy is on the bench. To compensate, JB brings the forwards in tighter, opening space for the D. Add to this, teams are pounding the front of our net Ė it is obvious that they want to get into JPís face.

- We need to go harder to the net Ė watch how many times there are 3 opposition forwards in front of our net banging away and how many times our forwards are doing the same.

The really bad;

- Attendance Ė worse than even I imagined. 3278 on opening night, an all time low, Sunday, 2458. I predicted that average attendance will fall below 3000 this year, if this trend continues it could end up as low as 2800. Any lower and we can move back into the Barn.

For what it is worth, I am predicting that this year will be the year that the owners sell. I could be wrong but here is my reasoning;

- The value of the franchise has been going down due to attendance and will continue to go down. It will most likely drop below 3000 as mentioned and while there are certainly individuals worth the price of admission, that only sells so many tickets. Team success will always account for really successful seasonís ticket sales.

- If you watch NON subsidize teams (teams with owners that donít care if they lose money), 2500 seems to be the average attendance number that owners sell at. We are headed there.

- There isnít really a bright light at the end of the tunnel next year and possibly the year after. Whatever happens this year will probably be worse next year, and maybe even the year after. It looks like Sarnia has grown tired of this act and the $2 parking fiasco, even though it was reversed has undoubtedly contributed to people staying away. This stupidity of this move shows why their record is what it is.

Igor?
Excellent post!

A couple comments:

Good: Liked Dipaolo playing forward, this kid is one of a few that actually finishes his checks. Like him at this position

Bad: Jocko on Nathan Mater

He felt it was too much of a grind juggling school and hockey,Ē said Beaulieu. ďItís unfortunate because thereís plenty of local kids who would die to play for the Sting. It makes no sense to me.Ē
Shows that Jocko doesn't get it. The local kid is playing locally with the Legion and has put school as a priority, so why do you throw the kid under the bus?.

Maybe he didn't like the coaching at the Junior A level.

Old
09-24-2012, 01:40 PM
krauss72

I read that to and was not impressed. Maybe there is a bit more to the Mater story than Jacko wants known. Good for the lad for keeping school the priority while still playing the sport he loves.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post

The good;

The not so good;

The really bad;

Igor?
Have to agree with this post.About the attendance,here is a recipe on how to loose $250,000.00 as quoted by management

Fri night game,we went early to support the home opener,waited in line for a burger and hot dog for 20 min to be told all sold out,ate pizza inside, then went to the bar behind sec 105 for a rum and coke,sorry sir we don't have here yet,go to the bar,went to the bar,waited for 10 min to be served and left w/o anything.Friends went to the bar instead of burgers,for supper and showed up with 5 mins gone in first period because they couldnt get their bill.

Sun,went to the arena,went to buy a program,sorry they didnt make enough,no problem,went over to sting store to book the kingston, ottawa and belleville trip and order a Galchenuk sweater and talk to Jason,was told Jason was fired,no one knew anything about the trip so forget that idea,not sure the jersey ordered will be right as they didnt know much.Trust me not blaming staff here.They are trying and only working with what they have.Sent email to RBC management with no response.surprise

Hard to blame fans for not wanting to go.I am a 2 season ticket holder and getting very frustrated

Old
09-24-2012, 02:23 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Fire View Post
Excellent post!

A couple comments:

Good: Liked Dipaolo playing forward, this kid is one of a few that actually finishes his checks. Like him at this position

Bad: Jocko on Nathan Mater

He felt it was too much of a grind juggling school and hockey,Ē said Beaulieu. ďItís unfortunate because thereís plenty of local kids who would die to play for the Sting. It makes no sense to me.Ē
Shows that Jocko doesn't get it. The local kid is playing locally with the Legion and has put school as a priority, so why do you throw the kid under the bus?.

Maybe he didn't like the coaching at the Junior A level.
I agree - I would did notice him and more finished checks this year. Not enough to give me the warm fuzzy though!

Too bad about Mater - again, I am not ready to blame the coach and I don't really think people understand how much influence the owners have over the coach. To go a bit further, I really think the 'team' will end up trying to ride their talent too much in order to get into the playoffs. This is a knee jerk reaction to fan support or lack of to be more specific.

The end result will be younger players ill prepared when we need them and older players over tired and susceptible to injury. At this point I think, as I said before, the best course of action is to start on a program of development, not reaction. Admit you previous blunders, suck it up and start on a course of success. IT WILL BE PAINFUL, but no more so than what we have gone through.

Abercrombie was on the pre-game and pointed out that they drafted for some size this year and pointed to how much he liked Plymouthís team. MacQueen had the same opinion. What was the problem then? The organization didnít follow through on the plan Ė knee jerk reactions trying to get into the second round of playoffs, trading valuable assets and picks, only to fail.

Drafting bigger players takes patience Ė you have to play them. Hargrave was on the bench WAY too much on Sunday. Why? He and his line played well on Friday. I am not advocating equal ice - you have to give the top two lines more ice Ė we must have a much better development plan.

Are we going to ride the heck out of our number one goalie? AGAIN? Our back up MUST play one game for every three game weekend. He needs to get AT LEAST 15 games this year, ideally 20 if we want him to start next year.

Tired players get hurt more easily, tired players donít play as well. Players on the bench donít develop, they donít get stronger, they arenít ready for more ice when the tired players get hurt.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:12 PM
krauss72

Once again you are bang on fan!

But it is not going to happen, those of us who have been around awhile know its probably wishful thinking. I love the Sting, have supported them from day one, but one can only take so much. I am tired of beating my head against the wall watching us make the same mistakes year after year. With the lockout this cant be the only team I support or I'll end up losing what little mind I have left. Maybe I'll go watch Mater and the boys a bit more or start following a second team that seems to know how to run a program and develope players. Need more cow bell.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I was greatly disappointed to hear that Jason (gift shop) was no longer with the team. He was especially accommodating to the fans...something that's hard to find

Was this Mater news released somewhere? Again, disappointed

Old
09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
krauss72

Mater comment is on Sting website. Read article about are season opener v Bulls.

Closed Thread