Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Not any time soon

I know I dont have the $, and definitely not the expertise.

I just find it sad the city, fans, team staff, volunteers et al have had to put up with years of fumble farting around.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
StungbySting

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Ive been following this thread and some very good points have been brought forward. This team has been running in circles for years.
The biggest, best is that it starts at the top.
Well run organizations at any level in any sport have a trickle done effect. Good or bad. I think the REAL issue is obvious and Fanofdo and others have hit the nail on the head.

Sell, Sell, Sell I think is the best the fans can hope for
As long as sell, sell, sell...means the new owners don't relocate the team

Old
09-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Sec108

Relocating would be un realistic at the moment.Only 2 spots open in my mind could be Hamilton at the Copps or NorthBay if they have an arena.Chatham has potential but unlikely could support a team and no arena.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:38 AM
aresknights

Sarnia deserves a team, and a new ownership. No doubt I think it could be real successful here with a new group in charge. In no way should they be moved, but I guess it would be a possibility. Cant see it thou

A new owner could really do well here, if things are done right.

Bring in a fresh group, with good organizational skills, an ability to hire quality people and retain them at all levels, an ability to plan and stick to it, a group that gets this is a community driven product and acts as such, a management group that lets the staff do theyre jobs ect...... and theyd have no prob raking in the $ in Sarnia town.

If they did move you could always adopt the Knights as your team

Old
09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Relocating would be un realistic at the moment.Only 2 spots open in my mind could be Hamilton at the Copps or NorthBay if they have an arena.Chatham has potential but unlikely could support a team and no arena.
Expanding on this, the league will not let this franchise move. Period.

Any move needs to be approved by the league - the league will not approve a move for the following reasons;

- Sarnia has a quality complex, the right size with all the facilities i.e. boxes, parking, dual surface, etc...

- They have supported this team very well despite very poor results. In fact, a well run team will most likely be in the top 25% of attendance. The OHL is not going to give up this location.

- As you pointed out, there is no where to go right now. North Bay does not have the facility and did not support a team. For whatever reason, Hamilton hasn't supported junior hockey and any team will need to compete with the AHL. There isn't another viable facility in Ontario, does not seem to be the interest in the US.

- Even if another location without a team comes up with a facility, there are other franchises potentially willing to move. Franchises that have had success but are not supported. (read; Metro Toronto Teams)

- On the small chance they did move, another team would quickly come in.

It isn't going to happen.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Expanding on this, the league will not let this franchise move. Period.

Any move needs to be approved by the league - the league will not approve a move for the following reasons;

- Sarnia has a quality complex, the right size with all the facilities i.e. boxes, parking, dual surface, etc...

- They have supported this team very well despite very poor results. In fact, a well run team will most likely be in the top 25% of attendance. The OHL is not going to give up this location.

- As you pointed out, there is no where to go right now. North Bay does not have the facility and did not support a team. For whatever reason, Hamilton hasn't supported junior hockey and any team will need to compete with the AHL. There isn't another viable facility in Ontario, does not seem to be the interest in the US.

- Even if another location without a team comes up with a facility, there are other franchises potentially willing to move. Franchises that have had success but are not supported. (read; Metro Toronto Teams)

- On the small chance they did move, another team would quickly come in.

It isn't going to happen.
What about Cornwall?

Old
09-25-2012, 02:18 PM
krauss72

Probably won't happen until the owners son is no longer eligible to play. We drafted him this year.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:35 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
What about Cornwall?
I don't know Cornwall's situation - they did have a team at one time but really don't seem to be mentioned too loudly as a potential destination recently.

Having said that I don't think they recently built a new facility. Over the past few years the OHL has been trying to find a home for at least one of the Metro Toronto teams, Cornwall didn't step up to the plate then, I can only assume they wouldn't now.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
I don't know Cornwall's situation - they did have a team at one time but really don't seem to be mentioned too loudly as a potential destination recently.

Having said that I don't think they recently built a new facility. Over the past few years the OHL has been trying to find a home for at least one of the Metro Toronto teams, Cornwall didn't step up to the plate then, I can only assume they wouldn't now.
Funny enough I looked up the Sarnia history and they were originally a Cornwall franchise in the Q! The rink they played in still exists, capacity 5,000. Link below.

Ultimately though, you need an owner to put the team in a city.....just yakking!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornwall_Civic_Complex

Old
09-25-2012, 08:47 PM
honey bee

Does anyone know why we do not do the "YUUUUUUP" when the boys score? I kind of thought that was something original we had here in Sarnia. Maybe Jacques did not approve?

Old
09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey bee View Post
Does anyone know why we do not do the "YUUUUUUP" when the boys score? I kind of thought that was something original we had here in Sarnia. Maybe Jacques did not approve?
Other than the fact that it was annoying as hell and unoriginal..bordering on embarrassing...I can't think of any other reasons...just an outsider's opinion of course.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
No idea but the fans seemed to really enjoy it. It was one of the few times there was noise in the crowd haha

Old
09-25-2012, 09:12 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post

No idea but the fans seemed to really enjoy it. It was one of the few times there was noise in the crowd haha
I don't know...whenever i'm in the rink(one of my top 3 to visit) I prefer to sit in Sec 101..that goal horn is friggin loud

Old
09-25-2012, 09:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I don't know...whenever i'm in the rink(one of my top 3 to visit) I prefer to sit in Sec 101..that goal horn is friggin loud
I trust Windsor and the WFCU is your 1st choice especially with yours truly as your host lol

Old
09-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Sempron

Quote:
probly the case. i remember hearing rumblings last year how pissed he got when the noisy yuuuppp sections got there own tshirts made without his approval. i think he thought he could fire the fans also. maybe he thought he should have got a cut of those tshirts.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:24 PM
the4thHansonbrother

Quote:
Really, not much Jacques does approve, but I think it is up to the fans to continue it...otherwise, grab a book and enjoy the library folks!

Old
09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
dansk55

Quote:
I think there may be a cease and desist order. It was a copyrighted slogan that was ripped from TV. I am sure that may be a factor....
However, the printing of unapproved tshirts may be a good reason too... Jock has a company that sells tshirts to the sting store. Other than a conflict of interest, what does that tell ya.

Marketing and promotion is a bit sad. Programs are outdated. Cover photo is horrific..
Kinda reminds me of Kingston's poor promotions.
Look at the PR debacles. Parking ... ill conceived and poorly planned, and the Mater wording. Does no one read this stuff before it goes out the door?
You gotta do the little things right. Being successful is a full time job, and when i say with a team, it means more than one hatchet man.
Soon the players will think he's a joke...if they don't already...
And about someone's comment about the billet not getting a player cuz they complained to management...really, isn't that what the parent or agent is for? If anyone, they should be taking the lead if they have a problem with management's treatment of their child or their client.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Baldy

More Yakupov news: He is suspended from playing in KHL while IIHF investigates his eligibility to play in KHL.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406137

Old
09-26-2012, 11:57 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
More Yakupov news: He is suspended from playing in KHL while IIHF investigates his eligibility to play in KHL.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406137
Was Yakupov drafted by another team in the KHL? I am sure he was drafted by someone.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:58 AM
krauss72

By default maybe we'll see him back in Sarnia? I wish. Although he has made it known he really doesn't want to be here. He could bring a kings randsome though if he would agree to be traded.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Baldy

I'm sure Yakupov's KHL team will pay whatever fine is levied against them and then the paperwork will be finalized. Having said that though, how much would they be willing to pay knowing that Yakupov will be returning to Edmonton if this lockout ever ends.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:17 PM
NHL Fanatic

Not the brightest move on Hockey Canada's part. Regardless if he's declined its highly doubtful he returns to Sarnia. He has nothing left to prove in the OHL. Both Sarnia and Edmonton had no problems with Yakupov going to the KHL. And to make it worse it was only filed on Yakupov but not Jensen or Khokhlachev.This will make it more difficult to recruit Europeans players to the CHL who are under contract. (i.e. Vasilevski)

Old
09-26-2012, 01:13 PM
the4thHansonbrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Not the brightest move on Hockey Canada's part. Regardless if he's declined its highly doubtful he returns to Sarnia. He has nothing left to prove in the OHL. Both Sarnia and Edmonton had no problems with Yakupov going to the KHL. And to make it worse it was only filed on Yakupov but not Jensen or Khokhlachev.This will make it more difficult to recruit Europeans players to the CHL who are under contract. (i.e. Vasilevski)
Here is some info on the situation

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...2332--nhl.html

Basically from all the digging I have done, it seems Hockey Canada may believe since Yakupov is still technically under contract for another season, they feel they can keep him in OHL if he is not to play in the NHL. Yakupov has however said, he is looking at other markets, and will just play there instead. He has no desire to return to Sarnia whatsoever, he wants to play with Men, not boys.

There is an appeal started on Yakupov's behalf, it will depend on why Hockey Canada did not sign his ITC as to whether he suits up again in the KHL.

Old
09-26-2012, 06:55 PM
PdashOw

Just spoke to Beaulieu. Not much in here that's earth shattering, but he's denying involvement: http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/09/26...-from-khl-play

Old
09-26-2012, 07:34 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
+1

How many coaches has Sarnia gone through? How many Scouts have come and gone. Alot of what Jacques did last year was at the prompting of ownership. He wasn't the one pushing to bring in every vet in the world.

I get the need for fans to focus their anger. Those who have friends or relitives on the team will focus right away on the Coach, however he has a boss, and last year he managed his boss's plan.

Keep calling for the firing of the coach all you want, but you did that last year, and the year before and the year before.

At what point do you look deeper then that?
If you've been a regular follower of this thread, I think you'll see that a lot of the fans here have been pointing the finger at the owners for a long time, as the main reason for the long term failure of the team . However, I'd have a hard time buying that the recent mortgaging of the team's future by trading last year's number one pick and seven second rounders and three thirds was their idea alone. It's much more likely that it was a combined effort.

If I owned a piece of this franchise right now I'd be seriously considering hitting the bid (if one does indeed exist) because like RIM this is one stock that's going to continue to drop.

Closed Thread