Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Loosie

vCash: 500
If Branch was really 'all about the players' he would see that another year in the OHL would do NOTHING for Yakupov, he just wants to be able to sell..'Look NHL lockout..We still have Yakupov'

If the CHL and Hockey Canada continue to push you can say goodbye to the KHL and Russian Hockey Federation allowing Russian players to break their contracts and come and play over here.

Oh and this little gem from Branch:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406137

Quote:
"Some of us were a little surprised when Yakupov appeared in a couple of games on the weekend in the KHL without any prior knowledge of anybody with Hockey Canada, the CHL and/or the Sarnia Sting," said Branch.
I'm sorry that's the biggest load of BS ever...EVERYONE knew that Yakupov was going to Russia to play in the event of a lockout. He pretty much said he wasn't coming back to Sarnia. He's got nothing left to prove at the OHL level.

Oh and to the poster that asked about who drafted him in the KHL...it was Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, 1st round 19th overall in 2010

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=21228

Old
09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Hivehound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
If Branch was really 'all about the players' he would see that another year in the OHL would do NOTHING for Yakupov, he just wants to be able to sell..'Look NHL lockout..We still have Yakupov'

If the CHL and Hockey Canada continue to push you can say goodbye to the KHL and Russian Hockey Federation allowing Russian players to break their contracts and come and play over here.

I'm sorry that's the biggest load of BS ever...EVERYONE knew that Yakupov was going to Russia to play in the event of a lockout. He pretty much said he wasn't coming back to Sarnia. He's got nothing left to prove at the OHL level.

Oh and to the poster that asked about who drafted him in the KHL...it was Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, 1st round 19th overall in 2010

I think the point is he has a contract. He signed it in good faith, now fulfill it. Sorry about his luck, lockout wise. He should be playing for Edmonton, he can't, so he plays for Sarnia or whoever he is traded to in the OHL. Obviously he has nothing left to prove, but the doesn't matter one bit. What if every other prospect from Europe came over, got themselves drafted and then decide to piss off back to their homeland for the last year or two of their eligibility and make a little cash before their shot in the NHL. The CHL is doing the right thing here, imo.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Hockey Canada ‏@HockeyCanada
From Tokyo and the IIHF Congress, Bob Nicholson provided the following update on Nail Yakupov’s request for a transfer card . 1/3

BN “Hockey Canada cannot sign the international transfer card for Yakupov until the Sarnia Sting releases this player from his contract."...

BN “If Sarnia advises Hockey Canada that it has released the player, Hockey Canada will sign his transfer card.” 3/3

Old
09-26-2012, 09:15 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Moving forward it's in Sarnia's best interest to release Yakupov from his contract. The CHL as a whole will benefit from it in the long run.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivehound View Post
I think the point is he has a contract. He signed it in good faith, now fulfill it. Sorry about his luck, lockout wise. He should be playing for Edmonton, he can't, so he plays for Sarnia or whoever he is traded to in the OHL. Obviously he has nothing left to prove, but the doesn't matter one bit. What if every other prospect from Europe came over, got themselves drafted and then decide to piss off back to their homeland for the last year or two of their eligibility and make a little cash before their shot in the NHL. The CHL is doing the right thing here, imo.
I dont agree with above post but need more info.His contract was signed with the Oilers.He is not an Oiler today because they chose to lock him out and now anything on this contract is null and void.So then he has to follow some things on his contract and not others the oilers dont want to pay for.Remember he has no contract because the oilers decided to lock him out and not fulfill his contract.I would do the same thing if was myself.I am not a lawyer but that would make sense.His contract is not with the CHL,OHL or Sarnia Sting and Dave Branch as much as Branch thinks it is.Read the post on here about the Sting and no one in there right mind would want to come back in his position.As far as trading him in the OHL,would you want to be responsible for that trade that would come back to haunt you.I will guarantee the Sting management is happy he is gone so they dont have to deal with it one way or the other.As a sting fan I would love for him to come back but after spending last season with he and his family,I appreciate his love for his family and going back home to his home town makes sense during the lockout.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:20 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
From Tokyo and the IIHF Congress, Bob Nicholson provided the following update on Nail Yakupov’s request for a transfer card . 1/3

BN “Hockey Canada cannot sign the international transfer card for Yakupov until the Sarnia Sting releases this player from his contract."...

BN “If Sarnia advises Hockey Canada that it has released the player, Hockey Canada will sign his transfer card.” 3/3
Good info.Thanks

Old
09-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Baldy

Quote:

Not sure I understand how all this works. The Sting have been in deny mode all day, basically saying they have nothing to do with it. Now HC is saying that Sarnia has to release him from his contract. Have the Sting been caught in a lie, did they not know what was required or is this some game that they are playing with a kid's career? Did the Sting really think that he was going to come back??

Old
09-26-2012, 11:24 PM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Not sure I understand how all this works. The Sting have been in deny mode all day, basically saying they have nothing to do with it. Now HC is saying that Sarnia has to release him from his contract. Have the Sting been caught in a lie, did they not know what was required or is this some game that they are playing with a kid's career? Did the Sting really think that he was going to come back??
I don't know all the legalities involved but here is this old mans opinion. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Short term it obviously would be best for the Sting if Yaki were back or could trade him for a kings randsome. Long term if we don't release him it would adversely effect the Sting as we would have totally pissed off Larinov enough for him to no longer help us bring in Russian talents like Yaki and Galy in the future. Not to mention another another black mark against the reputation of are club for basically holding a player hostage. Yaki has made it well known how much he dislikes Jacko and does not want to be here and therefore I unfortunately can see Jacko returning the favour by holding his career hostage. While Yaki is a superior talent if the lad doesn't want to play here I am not sure its in the teams best interest. If it turns out he has no other choice maybe we trade him and recoup some of the future that Jacko pissed away last year. That might keep Larinov and his client happy and replenish are draft cupboard. But there we are. Back to common sence. BUT with the lockout and a expired collective bargaining agreement I don't think the old conditions would be enforceable. So we wait and see.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:13 AM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
My understanding of the situation, for what it's worth and based on what I've been told is something like this:

1)Yakupov's contract with Sarnia is signed through 2012-13.
2)The Sting, while not expecting him back this season, placed him on their protected player list, in case the situation where he would come back arose.
3)Edmonton sent Yakupov back to junior before the lockout started (meaning he isn't a locked out NHLer). Yakupov's NHL contract contains the same clause they all do whereby a CHL-eligible player has to play in the CHL or the NHL.
4) (And here's where it gets murky). The CHL/Hockey Canada decide to try to enforce Yakupov's contract with Sarnia/their arrangement with the NHL/their arrangement with the IIHF and the other int'l bodies to make Yakupov honour his contract and play in Sarnia. They do this, according to Beaulieu, without any prompting from the team, though Jacques also said he was confused as to how Yakupov was getting around these transfer rules to go to Russia.
5)The story breaks, and Hockey Canada says that they are willing to sign the transfer card if Sarnia gives up its rights and releases Yakupov from his contract.

As far as I can tell, that's what's actually happened/what people are saying has happened.

This isn't necessarily catching Sarnia in a lie. For example, if we take everyone at their word, Hockey Canada could have blocked the transfer in order to protect the validity of all their Euro contracts (with Yakupov's situation being the hill to die on) without any prompting from Sarnia, but they can't make Sarnia release Yakupov from his contract. Nicholson could simply mean something like "As long as a player is under contract in our jurisdiction, we are going to fight to enforce that contract. Now, if that contract were to go away, we would be willing to let him go to Russia."

It could also be a case where Hockey Canada asked the Sting if they were going to release Yakupov from his contract, they said "No" to protect their rights and interests, and so HC felt they had no choice but to then enforce this, even though the Sting never really expected Yakupov back.

To answer your ancillary question as best I can, I believe they never seriously thought Yakupov would be back, certainly not after meeting with him in the preseason.

I (and everyone else) will be following this today, so I'm sure we'll have more info emerge. I think part of the issue is that this broke in Russia, then we had all the translations, then Beaulieu was in OHL meetings most of yesterday and unavailable, and Nicholson was in Tokyo for this IIHF thing, so there hasn't really been a consistent source of info all coming at the same time if for no other reason than time zones and time commitments.

Hope that helps.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:45 AM
dansk55

[QUOTE=PdashOw;54613863]My understanding of the situation, for what it's worth and based on what I've been told is something like this:

2)The Sting, while not expecting him back this season, placed him on their protected player list, in case the situation where he would come back arose.
3)Edmonton sent Yakupov back to junior before the lockout started (meaning he isn't a locked out NHLer). Yakupov's NHL contract contains the same clause they all do whereby a CHL-eligible player has to play in the CHL or the NHL.
4) (And here's where it gets murky). The CHL/Hockey Canada decide to try to enforce Yakupov's contract with Sarnia/their arrangement with the NHL/their arrangement with the IIHF and the other int'l bodies to make Yakupov honour his contract and play in Sarnia. They do this, according to Beaulieu, without any prompting from the team, though Jacques also said he was confused as to how Yakupov was getting around these transfer rules to go to Russia.
5)The story breaks, and Hockey Canada says that they are willing to sign the transfer card if Sarnia gives up its rights and releases Yakupov from his contract.

Thanks for the 411.
If Yakupov received any $ from Oilers, he accepted their terms and conditions. I am sure he did.
As for #4, how did he get around the rules? Good question. How did the entire family move to Canada last year?
IMO, he signed and cannot void a valid contract unless released. No doubt he will not play in Sarnia again, and if the lockout continues, he has little option. Sarnia trades him somewhere and gets something back.

Will it hurt Igor and piss him off? yes. and that may break the bond with the Sting and not recommend players come to Sarnia.
However, if Russian hockey is pissed and refuses to release players to NA, two things happen. Igor has no client base, so that is a moot point, and kids here will get a chance to play. It doesn't bother me either way.
If he wants to play with men, he needs to manup and accept the decision. Don't sign your name without reading the terms of the contract.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post

Didn't they have a "Yakupov" appreciation night in Sarnia a little bit back-Yakupov apparently sat in one of the suites with his agent, and this is what confuses me:

Can someone tell me what exactly happened between Sarnia and Nail? Did he simply say "I'm not coming back?" The fact Sarnia (at least in local media) seems to make no big deal that Yaks is playing in the KHL struck me as odd-what happened over there?

Old
09-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdashOw View Post
My understanding of the situation, for what it's worth and based on what I've been told is something like this:

As far as I can tell, that's what's actually happened/what people are saying has happened.

This isn't necessarily catching Sarnia in a lie. For example, if we take everyone at their word, Hockey Canada could have blocked the transfer in order to protect the validity of all their Euro contracts (with Yakupov's situation being the hill to die on) without any prompting from Sarnia, but they can't make Sarnia release Yakupov from his contract. Nicholson could simply mean something like "As long as a player is under contract in our jurisdiction, we are going to fight to enforce that contract. Now, if that contract were to go away, we would be willing to let him go to Russia."

It could also be a case where Hockey Canada asked the Sting if they were going to release Yakupov from his contract, they said "No" to protect their rights and interests, and so HC felt they had no choice but to then enforce this, even though the Sting never really expected Yakupov back.

To answer your ancillary question as best I can, I believe they never seriously thought Yakupov would be back, certainly not after meeting with him in the preseason.

I (and everyone else) will be following this today, so I'm sure we'll have more info emerge. I think part of the issue is that this broke in Russia, then we had all the translations, then Beaulieu was in OHL meetings most of yesterday and unavailable, and Nicholson was in Tokyo for this IIHF thing, so there hasn't really been a consistent source of info all coming at the same time if for no other reason than time zones and time commitments.

Hope that helps.
This answers some of questions, thanks-still baffled how a) Yaks ended up in the KHL instead of Sarnia and b), how the Sarnia media (from what I could see) seemed to make little to no deal of it, like it was expected or something-the fact they had a Yakupov "appreciation night" (as said above) baffles the HECK out of me-so Sarnia must have known something....

Old
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post

As for #4, how did he get around the rules? Good question. How did the entire family move to Canada last year?
IMO, he signed and cannot void a valid contract unless released. No doubt he will not play in Sarnia again, and if the lockout continues, he has little option. Sarnia trades him somewhere and gets something back.
Well, technically he didn't get around the rules, which is why he's been suspended and the federation (or the team) has been fined.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:17 AM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
This answers some of questions, thanks-still baffled how a) Yaks ended up in the KHL instead of Sarnia and b), how the Sarnia media (from what I could see) seemed to make little to no deal of it, like it was expected or something-the fact they had a Yakupov "appreciation night" (as said above) baffles the HECK out of me-so Sarnia must have known something....
A)He got on a plane and left. It was done, according to IIHF rules, illegally, which is why we're in this situation.

B)I was told early on he wouldn't be in camp, probably wouldn't be back etc. The Sting seemed to have moved on, and so did I. No one from the team ever brought up these transfer issues with me, but I also never asked "How is it possible for him to go to the KHL" or anything like that. In hindsight, I dropped the ball by acting like it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to the KHL if there was a lockout and nothing would stand in his way.

By the way, there wasn't really a Yakupov appreciation night. He was staying with Larionov in Detroit and came to visit old friends etc. They had him drop the puck and he did some interviews and stuff, but it wasn't really an appreciation night or anything like that. There's a bit on it in here: http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/09/09...sting-big-guns

Old
09-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Didn't they have a "Yakupov" appreciation night in Sarnia a little bit back-Yakupov apparently sat in one of the suites with his agent, and this is what confuses me:

Can someone tell me what exactly happened between Sarnia and Nail? Did he simply say "I'm not coming back?" The fact Sarnia (at least in local media) seems to make no big deal that Yaks is playing in the KHL struck me as odd-what happened over there?
Yakupov did the ceremonial puck drop thing during a pre-season game. Believe it was prior to lock-out. He was also in attendance at the last pre-season home game on the 13th of Sep with Larionov. They were sitting in the owners suite with Ciccarelli. Two days later (15th of Sep) he tweeted that he was heading to Russia (that day). Did something happen between the 13 and the 15th to make him decide to go to Russia? I have a very hard time believing the Sting and the OHL did not know he was going to Russia before this.
As for what happened between Yakupov and the Sting...I don't know myself, just what is posted on this board. I do know there appeared to be some issue during the last game of the playoffs against Saginaw last year. Mr. Yakupov appeared very agitated and pissed off at something. The family always sat together during the Sting regular season games, but Mr. Yakupov sat alone in another section in Saginaw, and appeared to be fuming at something. It could have been your garden variety family squabble, but it certainly appeared there was something going on. It was unusual.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Tinalera

Thanks to Baldy and PdashOw for the info and correction about the "puck drop".

Sounds like its a real fog, and I guess everyone just figured "oh, they must worked something out" and as was said, everyone just went on.

Hopefully we get some answers the next little bit.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:53 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Well, technically he didn't get around the rules, which is why he's been suspended and the federation (or the team) has been fined.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...evelopment-cox

another view...and i agree with the part that still has something to prove...i was not blown away last year by any means...saralt was by far the best player most nights.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Sempron

you would have to ask the yakupov family why but it was obvious they did not like jb and they didnt hesitate in telling you so. there was also article written after the playoffs and before the draft where nail shares his thoughts about jb.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:14 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
you would have to ask the yakupov family why but it was obvious they did not like jb and they didnt hesitate in telling you so. there was also article written after the playoffs and before the draft where nail shares his thoughts about jb.
There was an issue with JB.Part of the issue was no discipline with the other players,stupid penalities,Basso skated down the ice not passing the puck and then loosing it only to be scored upon,50 min practices,no time to practice power plays nothing,The players just never meshed together because of continuous changing on the lines.Now to be fair there was a pile of injuries that didnt help.How many times last year did u see JB pat a player on the back and say good job.NEVER,Respect is not given BUT earned.He didnt earn the boys respect and look what happen during the playoff's,the boys just quit on him and Yaki was blamed.It also appeared to the Yakupov family that JB traded the players that were closer as friends to Nail.Was it on purpose??? From what I have seen this year with JB's arrogance,it could actually been true.The family had told us on numerous times they appreciated what the Sting done for them and their family.They also really loved the Sting fans as they told us numerous times.There was never a Sting fan that left w/o an autograph from him.He signed thousands of items for sting fans.Lots of pictures also.We had personally spent a fair bit of time with them at the arena and at their home.

I cant believe everybodies shock that he went back to Russia after the lockout.Both he and Igor have said for weeks that if there was a lockout he was going home to play for his hometown.All of a sudden everybodies shocked???Anybody from the Sting organization or the CHL that didnt hear that must of had their head in the sand.I think no one brought up these issues as the CHL and Sting had lots of time so they could embarass him.Also a power trip for JB and the Sting.Thats fine but make a fool out of Igor and kissed the Russian players goodbye.Like the imports or not,that is very impressive having a 1st rd 1 & 3 NHL draft picks from same agent and Jr team.If Gali was healthy last year I still say it would have been 1 & 2 with Gali first overall.He also has a very impressive rookie here also in Golo.It appears Oilers knew what they were doing to send him back to the Sting but also why would the Oilers say they wanted him to play in the KHL???

Old
09-27-2012, 01:19 PM
bobbygore

Quote:

The majority of owners of the KHL franchises are generally very, very flush. Most of the franchises are operated at substantial losses. At the end of the day I'd bet a not insubstantial amout of cash will change hands and Yakkie will get his release. There's no way in hell he'll be back in Sarnia. Probably why Yakkie tweeeted what he did.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Zipper89

So Yaks will refuse to come back to the Sting regardless of the outcome why not just sign the kids card and let him play in the KHL? Honestly yes he is a great player and brings people to the games, but the league has many of those kind of players with enormous potential (Galchenyuk would be another).

That being said i don't know how long the Sting will stay in contention for the playoffs and even sneaking in around 7th or 8th is that worth a quick exit and not "re-stocking" your talent? Galchenyuk can fetch a kings ransom but i think you would get more for him sooner rather than later.

Wouldn't a team like Barrie who is going to be a excellent team in the east this year benefit from having a player like Galchenyuk on the roster especially when it comes to battling London, Kitchener ect... from the west.

Would a package of say Zach Hall, Jonathan Laser, additional picks (Barrie may try to drop an OA as well since they have a surplus) but Sutch would bring a good physical presence to this Stings lineup.

Just a random thought...

Old
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper89 View Post
So Yaks will refuse to come back to the Sting regardless of the outcome why not just sign the kids card and let him play in the KHL? Honestly yes he is a great player and brings people to the games, but the league has many of those kind of players with enormous potential (Galchenyuk would be another).
In order for the KHL to recognize the transfer, he needs to be released from his OHL contract. To do so, he would have to go through league wiavers to be released.

OHL wants to ensure that no one claims him before the waiver process starts. The leauge is trying to get that to happen so that Yakupov can do what he wants. Sting are also working with the league. All will be settled soon.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:28 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper89 View Post

That being said i don't know how long the Sting will stay in contention for the playoffs and even sneaking in around 7th or 8th is that worth a quick exit and not "re-stocking" your talent? Galchenyuk can fetch a kings ransom but i think you would get more for him sooner rather than later.

Wouldn't a team like Barrie who is going to be a excellent team in the east this year benefit from having a player like Galchenyuk on the roster especially when it comes to battling London, Kitchener ect... from the west.

Would a package of say Zach Hall, Jonathan Laser, additional picks (Barrie may try to drop an OA as well since they have a surplus) but Sutch would bring a good physical presence to this Stings lineup.

Just a random thought...
Last time the Sting did a deal with Barrie it almost ended up in a lawsuit so I doubt these teams will be doing any deals anytime soon.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:50 AM
CoyotesHFNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
Last time the Sting did a deal with Barrie it almost ended up in a lawsuit so I doubt these teams will be doing any deals anytime soon.
The last time Sarnia did a deal with Barrie was Dean Pawlaczyk.

The issue was with Marty Williamson whow as Barrie's GM at the time.

And apparently he isn't holding anything against Sarnia because he gave 3 2nd round picks for Brett Ritchie.

I wouldn't excuse any team from being a participant with Sarnia in a deal at this point.

But with that said in reference to a Hall+Laser+Picks for Galchenyuk, I think the Sting would be insane to entertain that deal.

When and IF Sarnia moved Galchenyuk, they won't be inheriting spare parts from another team with picks. Laser probably wouldn't make top 6 on this blueline. Hall is an OA next season so that wouldn't really be restocking the cupboard. Barrie would be looking at giving up something like Perlini+Yuill+Picks. I'm sure not many Barrie fans would like that idea, nor would any other team if you look at a realistic return for Galchenyuk. I would assume IF Sarnia would move Galchenyuk it would come after the WJC. Whoever is going after Galchenyuk would likely be looking at giving up their first round pick from this past draft and/or a very good 95. Just my opinion.

Old
09-28-2012, 06:17 AM
fanofdo

Quote:

Hope that helps.
Good post.

Closed Thread