Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Caught another Elgin-Middlesex game yesterday. 6-1 win for Elgin

I was extremely impressed with Andrew Kim. Excellent skater who makes strong and smart decisions. Reliable in both sides of the puck. He outplayed Konecny which is a strong statement. Konecny was good too but made some high risk plays that didn't pan out.

Cody Mayo certainly looks like a top prospect

Crouse is an extremely opportunistic scorer. His skating is rough to watch but he gets from point A to B well. He scored twice

Worrad was strong as well

Carroll on D was excellent as he played a solid two-way game

Cal Horvat ('98) was brought up from the Major Bantams and he was arguably elgin's 2nd best defender...and he was playing his off side on the point. Looks like Bo's little brother has game too

Sarnia wasn't much of a challenge but Elgin looks very strong and should compete with London for top spot. Others who impressed:
Travis Moore (Sarnia)
Brookshaw (EMC)
Josh Coyle (EMC)
Broomhead (EMC)
I believe this is his first year of Triple A hockey.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
checkmate3

Was great hockey to watch! Also take in to consideration that both Oakville Rangers and Marlies had missing players. The Rangers had 12 skaters, two of the D moved up to Offense, hence they had 4 Defenseman I noticed. And the Marlies ended up with three D due to a players game misconduct at one point, from what I understand, hence they called up a player. 7 or 8 games in 3 or 4 days is alot of hockey for that small of a roster. They're not five and six year olds anymore. Very impressive all in all!

Old
09-12-2012, 08:00 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Does anyone have any insight regarding Dennis Yan? He's orginally from Russia but played last year with the Lambton Jr. Sting and will be playing with Belle Tire's midget major team this year. He participated in the US Select 15 festival this summer which indicates he's an American citizen. Is he a good bet to head to the OHL after this year? Is he another Larionov client? Thanks.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:57 PM
wingman22

Yan was born in Alaska. He participated in the NTDP. He will most likely be entering the draft and at the moment he is not affiliated with Larionov. He was living with Cicerrelli's in Sarnia

Old
09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
walker33

can anyone tell me about the top players from the OMHA particularly the ETA and SCTA like whitby, peterborough, york simcoe, markham, south central, central ontario wolves, kingston and barrie?

Old
09-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Hockey Fan 19

Kyle Dubas and the Soo Greyhounds recently hosted a showcase for the Northern Minor Midget teams:

http://www.sootoday.com/content/spor...ls.asp?c=47164

Old
09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
puckaddict17

beyond the obvious picks...

There has been lots of chatter early on about players such as Stephens (Marlies)
Konetcy (EMC) Strome (Marlies)
etc...but there are clearly secondary tiered players that may challenge for top
rounds selection come the 2013 OHL
Priority draft.

I've personally watched and I've spoken to coaches and officials that have
highlighted the following players as
"potential upper tier" picks.
In no particular order they are the following:

Troy Henley 6"1 201 (Oakville) Defense
Troy is a big physical presence on the ice. He has good vision and handles the puck
very well. Very good skater and
posseses great balance.

Brett McKenzie 6"2 175 (Oakville) Forward
Brett is a very smooth skating highly skilled foward that can score. Once he fills in his large frame he can develop in a power forward role.

Matt Spencer 6"2 185 (Oakville) Defense
Matt is a steady and strong D-man. He possesses all the tools you need in a potential #1 or #2 D. Poised with the puck and is aggressive.

Connor Walters 6"2 195 (Welland/STA) Defense
Connor is a good skating urable Dman. He logs a ton of minutes on this STA team. Potentially a top 3 round pick.

Michael Davies 6"1 195 (Welland/STA) Forward
Michael skating can be deceiving. Has great acceleration and has a shoot first mentality. Great release of puck and can score in bunches. Hasn't always looked motivated to compete at all times but may be on a better overall team.

Korostelev Nikita 6"0 175 (Toronto JRC) Forward
Nikita is a pure shooter. Has a great release and with great accuracy. Pure goal scoring ability. Nikita could be a top 3 pick come the spring.

Troy Timpano 6"0 170 (Toronto Titans) Goalie
Troy is your prototypical big goalie that cuts angles down well. Best goalie in the GTHL by far and possibly top 3 goalie in Ontario. Handles the puck well and can and has stolen games.

Jessi Saban 6"3 205 (Toronto Red Wings) Defense
Jessi is a faily good skating D. He has a very good shot from the point. Jessi possesses good hockey sense but needs to work on conditioning. Tends to run out of fuel with more ice.

Robert Monti 6"1 165 (Toronto Red Wings) Defense
Robert is a very agile smooth skaing D. He handles the puck fairly well and shows a lot of poise with the puck.

Hayden McCool 6"2 190 (Whitby) Forward
Hayden is a potential power forward that can score. He handles the puck very well and possess soft hands.

Sam Hunter 6"2 195 (Mississauga Senators) Defense
Sam is a good skating shut-down D. He can play very physical and will punish forwards on the rush or in front of net. Can become a go-to shut down D.

Christian Rajic 5"8 148 (Mississauga Rebels) Forward
Christian is a dynamic player and an excellent skater. Despite his size he is a fierce competitor and will go to the dirty areas. Needs to work on consistency as he doesn't always play to his potential.

Matthew Kreis 5"10 155 (Halton) Forward
Matthew has incredible speed. Arguably one of the quickest skaters eligible for the draft. He handles the puck and protects it well however does not move or pass it at the appropriate moment.

Garrett McFadden 5"10 185 (Grey Bruce) Defense
Garrett is a hidden gem in the north. He skates exceptionally well and shoots the puck as good as any of the top prospects in this class. He can control the game from the back end.

Domenic Procopio 6"0 180 (Halton) Forward
Domenic is a throw back hockey player. Has an above average wrist shot and plays the body well. Tenacious forechecker. His skating although improved can improve more.

Benjamin Blacker 5"10 155 (Brampton) Goalie
Benjamin is arguably the best goalie prospect in this draft. He is a great competitor and doesn't give up on any play. He is a game changing goalie. Teams play differently against him. Handles puck exceptionally well.

Stevie Mariani 5"11 205 (Brampton) Forward
Stevie is a pure goal scorer. He skates very well for a big forward however tends to play harder from the blue line to the goal. Overall conditioning needs to improve.

Old
09-20-2012, 06:17 AM
hockeyonice

Very good assesment of some quality players and i'd also like to add a few that i've seen play lately

Marcus Semaio YSE goalie solid tendy good rebound control moves well on his feet

Jesse Schoeman STA goalie one of the best physically fit goalies excellent agility and skating

Sam Harding YSE solid solid forward always brings his game great speed and hands

Connor Schlichting YSE defence great puck movement out of his own zone good size great zone coverage

Aaron St. Pierre HBD defence great shot from the point good size aggressive in the corner

Other notables to keep eye on
Mike Baird STA forward
Brennan Smith HBD forward
Scott Smith HBD goalie
Colin Martin Kit Ran forward
Tyler Randerson wat Wolves forward
Gary Mantz Wat Wolves forward
Jake Smith SCC forward

Old
09-20-2012, 02:41 PM
mapleleaf979

F- Donovan Ott (PA/USA) Selects Hockey Academy U16
F - Nikita Korostelev (ON/RUS) Toronto JR Canadiens
F - Denis Yan (MI/RUS) Detroit Belle Tire
F - Mitchell Stephens (ON) Toronto Marlboros
F - Dylan Strome (ON) Toronto Marlboros
F - Brett Primeau (ON) Sun County Panthers
F - Ryan Moore (MI) Detroit Belle Tire
F - Karch Bachman (MI) Detroit Belle Tire
F - Matt Tkachuk (MO) St. Louis Amateur Blues
F - Jordan Greenway (NY) Shattuck St. Mary Sabres
D - Zach Werenski (MI) Detroit Belle Tire
D - Josh DeFarias (ON) Toronto Marlboros
D- Charles McAvoy (NY) Long Island Gulls
F - Jeremy Bracco (NY) Long Island Gulls
F - Garrett Jenkins (MI) Detroit Compuware
D - Zach Osburn (MI) Detroit Honeybaked
D - Troy Henley (ON) Oakville Rangers
F - Josh Wilkins (NC) Carolina Jr. Hurricanes
F - Blake Speers (ON) Soo thunderbirds
F - Brett McKenzie (ON) Oakville RAngers
F- Travis Konecny (ON) Elgin Middlesex Chiefs
D - Jake Behse (ON) Thunder Bay Kings
D - Ryan Hunt (ON) Toronto Marlboros
F - Matt Caruso (ON) Soo Thunderbirds
D - Cameron Lizotte (ON) Nickel City Sons Minor Midget AA
F - Aaron Luchuk (ON) Greater Kingston Jr. Frontenacs
F - Luke Kirwan - EJHL Islanders Hockey club

* Kirwin is 6-3 210 and is still 14 (sept 23,97) he already has D1 scholorships offered.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 10-13-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old
09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
HockeyGuy56

Should consider a couple 96's . I watched Ryan Gruszka and Matt Kenny in Lambton Shores Jr. B and they both have should been in this last year. Kenny played for Lambton last year, playing for London AAA and Gruszka played for the Notre Dame Hounds,now for Windsor.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:33 PM
dantheleaffan

I'd like to know if anyone knows big names coming out of whitby who will be drafted and what round approximately.

Old
09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
puckaddict17

whitby

McCool and Sarris both 2-4 round picks

Old
09-26-2012, 11:04 AM
walker33

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckaddict17 View Post
Will Scott is probably the best player at least offensivley a tad small but the kid can score

Old
09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
dantheleaffan

Quote:
Yea I've heard Ryan Sarris is pretty good can anyone tell me more about his game? I'd like to know, any chance he can sneak into the 1st round? I think he will surprise most, he's dominant from what I hear

Old
09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
puckaddict17

I don't think 1st round is in the cards. There are many other D man than will go higher. I think 4-8th round is more appropriate. Depends on his progression and growth during the season...

Old
10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Agree. Both are very good.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
mapleleaf979

Austin Cho Toronto Marlboros: I like this kids game. He is pretty steady. He has good size. He has good stick work, poke checking, knocking pucks away. I can see alot more growth come out of his game this year. His backward skating jumped out at me. His backward crossover is technically sound and helps him change angles very well. With that skill, driving wide on him is very difficult. He closes the gap well. He makes some good decisions too, nice outlet passes. He is inconsistent at times.

Christian Rajic Rebels: Its impossible not to notice this guy. His skating stride is effortless. He is a excellent skater with very good speed. He seems to love the game, he wants to make a difference. He is very shifty and possesses great puck skills. He is very dangerous with the puck. He has a very good hockey IQ. The only knock is his size, I believe he is only 5-6 right now. He has the high end skill of a first rounder but his size is an issue. Reminds me of David Miller a little bit.

Ethan Wiseman Rebels: Hard worker, good on the forecheck. He has high energy levels. He is an agitator out there and sticks up for his team-mates. He has good size. Provides and creates a ton of room for Rajic to work. Wiseman shows some decent board work. Skates well but doesnt possess alot of high end skill but his grinding/forechecking is an important piece to a successful line.

Rocky Kaura Rebels: I like this kids battle level in all areas of the ice. He needs to improve his feet a little bit. He seems to have a mean streak to him. He battles hard for the puck, goes into dirty areas willingly. He has a big, big shot. Good on the PP. Makes good decisions . Everytime I watch this kid he stands out. Reminds me a little bit like Jon Duchesne(Vaughn Kings 96)

Mitchell Stephens Marlboros: He could easily be a top 3 pick for the 2013 ohl draft. His skating speed and explosion are top tier. He has excellent stick handling. He has a shoot first mentality. His shot is heavy and has excellent release and accuracy. His one on one moves on breakaways are excellent. He plays the Left point of the PP showing his big shot and pinches constantly down low from the left point to create chances. He doesnt show alot of 2 way game. He needs to work on his conditioning. Needs to improve his decision making at times.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 10-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old
10-07-2012, 11:22 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Christian Rajic Rebels: Its impossible not to notice this guy. His skating stride is effortless. He is a excellent skater. He seems to love the game, he wants to make a difference. He is very shifty and possesses great puck skills. He is very dangerous with the puck. The only knock is his size, I believe he is only 5-6 right now. He has the high end skill of a first rounder but his size is an issue.
Last name sounds of Yugoslav origin, I think he should grow, not to many of them are short.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Last name sounds of Yugoslav origin, I think he should grow, not to many of them are short.
Croatian actually, careful with the Yugoslav......

Old
10-09-2012, 01:29 AM
mapleleaf979

Adam Craievich reminds me of Dave Andreychuk the way he hangs out 5-10 feet from the net and just pots goals. He is tough to move in front of the net thats for sure. He has a good pair of hands. Its pretty clear his skating needs work at this point.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:50 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Croatian actually, careful with the Yugoslav......
Well he could have been Serbian, Bosnian Slovenian, I wasn't sure so I didn't know how else to word it.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Well he could have been Serbian, Bosnian Slovenian, I wasn't sure so I didn't know how else to word it.
No offence, just trying to give you a heads up that some might not like it.....best way is EX-Yugo or Balkans.....kinda like the middle east, too much history! Stay well.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:11 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
No offence, just trying to give you a heads up that some might not like it.....best way is EX-Yugo or Balkans.....kinda like the middle east, too much history! Stay well.
Yes Balkans was the word I was looking for, and believe me I didn't look to offend anybody !

Old
10-10-2012, 08:59 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Nicolas Sicoly of the Soo Greyhounds, he's 2014 eligible, read good things about him last season but how's his performance in minor midget so far in this young season?

Old
10-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Hockey Fan 19

Sean Fortune says this about Sicoly:

"Quick 2014 OHL Draft alert. 98 born Nicholas Sicoly of the 97 Soo Thunder is really, really good. "

Closed Thread