HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-11-2012, 11:40 AM
  #251
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Nicolas Sicoly of the Soo Greyhounds, he's 2014 eligible, read good things about him last season but how's his performance in minor midget so far in this young season?
Sicoly is an impressive player. Possibly Exempt status good. I could see those rumblings get louder as the season goes along. I hope he chooses the OHL when that time comes. Last Summer he said that he had wishes of playing at U.Notre Dame like his uncle Mark Sicoly. Soo Thunder have a few impressive players. Blake Speers, Matthew Caruso, Adam McPhail and several more.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-11-2012, 11:59 AM
  #252
Hockey Fan 19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Some other quotes from the Scout.ca during the recent Hamilton Tim Hortons Tourney:

Sean Lafortune ‏@SeanLafortune

Speers is a shifty, elusive forward with great offensive instincts. Impressed me at the All Canadians game in July.

Another player to watch from the Thunderbirds will be Matthew Caruso, a player who brings a great work ethic and strong mobility

Lizotte is a favourite of mine. Really like the progression year over year. Potential shut down defenceman with offensive upside

Scott Villeneuve is a hard work, aggressive forward who works the boards well. Good shot on the power play. Impressive thus far

Also impressed with Adam McPhail from the Thunder. Well sized, aggressive, works the boards well. Done untapped offensive potential there

Great showing from 2 Northern Ontario teams and the Thunder won the final decisively.

Hockey Fan 19 is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 08:08 AM
  #253
HockeyScout23
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy56 View Post
Should consider a couple 96's . I watched Ryan Gruszka and Matt Kenny in Lambton Shores Jr. B and they both have should been in this last year. Kenny played for Lambton last year, playing for London AAA and Gruszka played for the Notre Dame Hounds,now for Windsor.
I know this is the 97's year, however you are correct. I watched Gruszka in the Border City Cup,hes fast, really fast. its unfortunate no one knows about him, and i haven't got to see Kenny play yet.

HockeyScout23 is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 09:52 PM
  #254
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Jr Canadiens have some pretty good players. 3 potential first round picks.

#55 Nikita Korostelov 18 points in 7 games. Stronger than his peers. Shoot first player, needs to pass a tad more. Has a physical side to his game. Very Heavy shot with an excellent Release. Good speed. A little erratic at times.

#3 Zach Wilkie. Skates well, good first pass. Offensive defenseman with a physical side to his game. NOt too many holes in his game. Plays real hard. Protects the front of the net. Plays first unit on the PP and PK. Good size.

#5 Noah Jordan. 10 points in 8 games. 6 foot 5. Skates very well for his size. Has good puck handling skills. Protects the well during the cycle game. Needs to become more physical.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 08:40 PM
  #255
ScoutReel65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Caught alot of the green gold tourny, host gold had lots of strong players and same with York Simcoe

ScoutReel65 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
  #256
scout97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutReel65 View Post
Caught alot of the green gold tourny, host gold had lots of strong players and same with York Simcoe

Who ended up winning that tournment ? I heard the Toronto marlbros had a bad weekend and didn't advance to quarters, same with Barrie.

scout97 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 09:02 PM
  #257
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
Who ended up winning that tournment ? I heard the Toronto marlbros had a bad weekend and didn't advance to quarters, same with Barrie.
Elgin Middlesex Chiefs 3-2 (3ot) over York Simcoe Express. I think thats Yorks Simcoe's first loss of the season.

Semi Finals were:

Elgin vs Toronto Titans (3-2)
York simcoe vs London knights GOLD (3-2)

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-14-2012, 10:29 PM
  #258
GoalieGuy35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutReel65 View Post
Caught alot of the green gold tourny, host gold had lots of strong players and same with York Simcoe
If you caught "a lot" of the tournamant, could you please provide more information on specific player insight...

GoalieGuy35 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 03:35 PM
  #259
ScoutReel65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieGuy35 View Post
If you caught "a lot" of the tournamant, could you please provide more information on specific player insight...
Sorry about my bad grammar but specific players

London Gold - Chambers, Brulotte, Szpula, Vande Sompel, Fox, White

Chiefs - Coyle, Mayo, Blue, Kim, Konecny(obviously), Crouse

York Simcoe - Barrow, James, Sinclair

ScoutReel65 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 11:25 PM
  #260
Northofusa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
First Post

I have a kid playing in the Alliance . Im not sure If the situation is the same in the OMHA or the GTHL however I have noticed throughout this early season that the head shot penalties are up so high that it doesnt even seem like its actually hockey . I randomly picked a game on bladenet and looked up how many penalty minutes were issued to both teams for head checks . The total was 32 minutes not including the odd slash or trip which may have been another 6 minutes . It is my observation that most of the minor midget alliance games are being refereed the same way . Fortunately for my son he plays on the power play however there are some kids on his team and other teams across the league that are not on any special teams. This means that some of the kids that are in their draft year are averaging about 4 or five shifts per game .Im really not sure if this is truly preparing the kids for any level of Junior. I watched a OHL game on the weekend and there was not one head check call and I would say 100% that the hits were comparable to the head shot calls in the Alliance . So what is really to be gained when scouts are trying to access the talent pool out of the alliance .I have seen some good hockey players not mentioned on the previous lists and Im not really sure if the rules for these kids is giving all the kids a fair kick at the can .

Northofusa is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 09:38 PM
  #261
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
The Scouting news pre season draft rankings has a 98 underage U.S defencemen playing up a year ranked #1 overall for the next OHL draft. I can't really see exceptional status being granted again this year to anyone, especially a U.S kid who might only report to certain teams
If they think he is worthy, it will happen again. There are already rumours of 3 players possibly wanting exceptional status. 2 are from the USA and 1 from the GTHL. Do u recall who the 98' that was #1 ranked? Im guessing it was Chad Krys. It would be interesting if u could post there top 10.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 09:58 PM
  #262
scout97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
If they think he is worthy, it will happen again. There are already rumours of 3 players possibly wanting exceptional status. 2 are from the USA and 1 from the GTHL. Do u recall who the 98' that was #1 ranked? Im guessing it was Chad Krys. If u could post there top 10 maybe that could generate some discussion.
Chad krys was ranked #1. Sean day from the U.S, Mikey Mcleod form the Toronto marlboros, brandon saigeon from the Hamilton Jr bulldogs, and Nicholas sicoly from the Soo have also been considered possible exceptional players for the past couple of years. Also here was the scouting news top 30 (not the most reliable source) its a free blog on the scouting news so everyone can read it online for free if you wanna check it out.

1. Chad krys
2. Zach werenski
3. Travis konecny
4. Brendan warren
5. Jordan Greenway
6. /TIE/
Mitchell stephans
Jeremy bracco
7. Brett McKenzie
8. Luke kirwan
9. Matt Spencer
10. Cole Mayo
11. Garret McFadden
12. Dylan strome
13.Dennis yan
14. Aaron luchuck
15. Noah Bushnell
16. Lawson crouse
17. Grant Gabrielle
18. Sam Harding
19. Connor schlichting
20. Connor Walters
21. Justin lemcke
22. Cameron lizzotte
23. Matthew tkachuk
24. Colton white
25. Donovan ott
26. Maurizio colella
27. Mitch vande simple
28. Andrew peski
29. Jake Henderson
30. /TIE/
Christian evers
Adam craievich
Blake speers
Vasill kolias
Joe masonius
Troy dello


Last edited by scout97: 10-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
scout97 is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
  #263
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
Chad krys was ranked #1. Sean day from the U.S, Mikey Mcleod form the Toronto marlboros, brandon saigeon from the Hamilton Jr bulldogs, and Nicholas sicoly from the Soo have also been considered possible exceptional players for the past couple of years. Also here was the scouting news top 30 (not the most reliable source) its a free blog on the scouting news so everyone can read it online for free if you wanna check it out.

1. Chad krys
2. Zach werenski
3. Travis konecny
4. Brendan warren
5. Jordan Greenway
6. /TIE/
Mitchell stephans
Jeremy bracco
7. Brett McKenzie
8. Luke kirwan
9. Matt Spencer
10. Cole Mayo
11. Garret McFadden
12. Dylan strome
13.Dennis yan
14. Aaron luchuck
15. Noah Bushnell
16. Lawson crouse
17. Grant Gabrielle
18. Sam Harding
19. Connor schlichting
20. Connor Walters
21. Justin lemcke
22. Cameron lizzotte
23. Matthew tkachuk
24. Colton white
25. Donovan ott
26. Maurizio colella
27. Mitch vande simple
28. Andrew peski
29. Jake Henderson
30. /TIE/
Christian evers
Adam craievich
Blake speers
Vasill kolias
Joe masonius
Troy dello
Interesting. Thanks. Nikita Korostelev should be there.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 10:00 AM
  #264
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Interesting. Thanks. Nikita Korostelev should be there.
Don't think this list is very good. When draft time comes around there will be many changes. Dylan Strome #12? LOL.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
  #265
scout97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Interesting. Thanks. Nikita Korostelev should be there.
Defiantly agree. He's a top 5 pick IMO. josh defarias was also hyped to be a possible top 10 pick last year but I haven't heard much of him this year.

scout97 is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
  #266
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Interesting. Thanks. Nikita Korostelev should be there.
Hes not officially eligible yet, however he will be soon. That said, I doubt thats not why he was included, as there is one player who is not eligible on that list. Buyer beware with that site.

There are a few sites out there who are very lazy with their OHL Draft coverage, but I think those involved with the OHL know who those are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Don't think this list is very good. When draft time comes around there will be many changes. Dylan Strome #12? LOL.
Everyone I know has him in the top 5, but its early.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM
  #267
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Im not sure which American Kids will be coming to the OHL draft openly or which ones are silently letting teams know. Time will tell. There are 3 Detriot Belle Tire prospects that are very highly regarded right now. Zach Werenski(Detroit Belle Tire) is considered by many to be a top 3 pick in the draft. Dennis Yan(DBT) and Ryan Moore(DBT) are other top potential top 10's. Jordan Greenway (Shattuck St Mary Sabres) is another American kid with potential to be a top 5-10 pick. Luke Kirwan has OHL teams buzzing bigtime as well. Kirwan has already been offered full D1 scholarships.


Last edited by mapleleaf979: 10-17-2012 at 07:04 PM.
mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
  #268
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Ive watched Mitch Marner Don Mills Flyers, several times so far this year and Ive always came away impressed. Dont judge a book by its cover with him. He is similar to Rajic on the Rebels as far as size and being noticed out there. Marner wants to make an impact out there. Doesnt take a shift off. He seems to play with a playoff mentality every game. He is highly competitive and u always notice him on the ice. IF he was close to 6-0 , he would No doubt be mentioned with the top high end prospects. He is 5-6 or 5-7 and weighs about 130. He is fearless, will take hits and drive to the net hard. He is one of the most elusive/shifty players. His feet are excellent. Just an excellent skater with good speed. He has excellent hockey sense. He always seems to have the puck. Great puck skills. Has an accurate shot. Size is the only issue I see with this player.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:47 PM
  #269
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Im not sure which American Kids will be coming to the OHL draft openly or which ones are silently letting teams know. Time will tell. There are 3 Detriot Belle Tire prospects that are very highly regarded right now. Zach Werenski(Detroit Belle Tire) is considered by many to be a top 3 pick in the draft. Dennis Yan(DBT) and Ryan Moore(DBT) are other top potential top 10's. Jordan Greenway (Shattuck St Mary Sabres) is another American kid with potential to be a top 5-10 pick. Luke Kirwan has OHL teams buzzing bigtime as well. Kirwan has already been offered full D1 scholarships.
Werenski doesn't play for Belle Tire anymore. He's playing for Little Caesars Midget Major squad.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:56 PM
  #270
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Werenski doesn't play for Belle Tire anymore. He's playing for Little Caesars Midget Major squad.
Your right, my bad. Thanks for correcting that. He's on the Little Ceasars (Midget U18).

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 07:13 PM
  #271
PanthersFan1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Luke kirwan

He's easily the best '97 forward in the country. Where do you think he'll end up next year?

PanthersFan1980 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
  #272
scout97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan1980 View Post
He's easily the best '97 forward in the country. Where do you think he'll end up next year?
Who is ? Werenski is defence

scout97 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 09:58 PM
  #273
puckaddict17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Jr Canadiens have some pretty good players. 3 potential first round picks.

#55 Nikita Korostelov 18 points in 7 games. Stronger than his peers. Shoot first player, needs to pass a tad more. Has a physical side to his game. Very Heavy shot with an excellent Release. Good speed. A little erratic at times.

#3 Zach Wilkie. Skates well, good first pass. Offensive defenseman with a physical side to his game. NOt too many holes in his game. Plays real hard. Protects the front of the net. Plays first unit on the PP and PK. Good size.

#5 Noah Jordan. 10 points in 8 games. 6 foot 5. Skates very well for his size. Has good puck handling skills. Protects the well during the cycle game. Needs to become more physical.
Nikita Korostelov is NOT ohl draft eligible FYI

puckaddict17 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 06:51 AM
  #274
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckaddict17 View Post
Nikita Korostelov is NOT ohl draft eligible FYI
You are correct. Id exect that to be corrected soon thou. Putting him on any list is jumping the gun.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 12:26 PM
  #275
vedder1haleneddiernr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
i concur scouting news is not the most reliable source at all whatsoever---a '98 #1? warren at #4? he has 5 points in 6 games this year playing up at u16?--brocco 1 dimetional never gets physical--donovan ott? big yes but not much overall talent at all--jake henderson #29? he had 1 point at the usa festival u15 over the summer---where is colin white and nolan aibel? 2 of the top forwards in usa --noah hanifin and casey fitzgerald defensemen--and dennis yan as well as strome are much too low on this totum pole--

vedder1haleneddiernr is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.