2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 03:35 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
To clarify my point was specific to the fact my son has played in both the GTHL and OMHA and specifically the pressure I referred to was from parents and team administrators in the GTHL. Given that league has always been very much a recruiting league, each player learns very quickly if you don't produce you'll need to find a new team by December (not so in the OMHA and Alliance for the most part given restrictive rules around transfers)! Further, within the game if you don't produce you'll be sitting.

Based on our own expereince and knowing families in both leagues, the game environment wasn't even close in the OMHA (although for my kid it was the preferred route)......given the pressure to win in the OHL it seems to me the environment in the GTHL most closely matches the OHL. Just my two cents and observations....
Excellent point. Also from my perspective the GTHL is more heavily scouted in recent years.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:48 PM
puckaddict17

NEWS AND NOTES IN MINOR MIDGET....

Nikita Korostelev
From what I've been told the JRC goal scorer is awaiting to see if he has a displaced fracture of his wrist/arm. If displaced Nikita may need surgery further prolonging his return. I would expect another 6-8 additional weeks for recovery, minimum. JRC will be tested without the Ovechkin like player.

Michael Davies
After confirming with the Southern Tier staff we understand that Michael is suffering from mono. He has been sidelined for about 2 almost 3 weeks now and mass possibly miss the Silver Stick tourney in Whitby. 6-8 weeks of being shelfed may be in the cards for Michael from the onset of the ailment.

Domenic Procopio
The gritty left winger has reportedly been released from Halton and has joined the Rebels in the Gthl. This may prove to be a good pick up for the Mississauga squad. A player of quality will help his new team.

Michael Baird
The STA power forward will be missed as he has picked up 8-11 games in suspensions costing him an opportunity to play at the Silver Stick as well. This is also a significant loss for this gritty team. Reminds me of a similar suspension given to Max Domi couple seasons ago. A very hard nosed player that will be missed.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:16 PM
The Scouting Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckaddict17 View Post
NEWS AND NOTES IN MINOR MIDGET....

Nikita Korostelev
From what I've been told the JRC goal scorer is awaiting to see if he has a displaced fracture of his wrist/arm. If displaced Nikita may need surgery further prolonging his return. I would expect another 6-8 additional weeks for recovery, minimum. JRC will be tested without the Ovechkin like player.

Michael Davies
After confirming with the Southern Tier staff we understand that Michael is suffering from mono. He has been sidelined for about 2 almost 3 weeks now and mass possibly miss the Silver Stick tourney in Whitby. 6-8 weeks of being shelfed may be in the cards for Michael from the onset of the ailment.

Domenic Procopio
The gritty left winger has reportedly been released from Halton and has joined the Rebels in the Gthl. This may prove to be a good pick up for the Mississauga squad. A player of quality will help his new team.

Michael Baird
The STA power forward will be missed as he has picked up 8-11 games in suspensions costing him an opportunity to play at the Silver Stick as well. This is also a significant loss for this gritty team. Reminds me of a similar suspension given to Max Domi couple seasons ago. A very hard nosed player that will be missed.
You're correct, Procopio is now a Mississauga Rebel. Pretty good November addition for them and it should help them get out of this mini-rut they've had.

We have our 2nd OHL Draft spotlight up with three new scouting reports to check out.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...wford-timpano/

Old
11-04-2012, 08:10 PM
puckaddict17

You are correct. Good forecheck helped Rebels hand Jrc their first lost of the season and to take a share of 1st in the Gthl standings.

Old
11-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
I know they never got the one boy from Halton as he could not get his release.....Copabianco also moved to Oakville, so that hurt.

Tough to add a quality d-man or two at this stage.
I don't think Gagne ever wanted to have more than 5 d-men on the roster. Maybe a little nepotism????

Old
11-07-2012, 08:33 AM
usascout1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
I think White,Hanifin and Fitzgerald are from Mass. they would be drafted in the Q, Might be wrong though.
Just saw several top American prospects play within the last 3 weeks. It is correct that White, Hanifin and Fitzgerald are QMJHL eligible this year. White, Hanifin playing U18 Midget Major until their prospective prep school season's start. Fitzgerald playing U16 Midget Minor until his high school season. Hanifin at 6'3 200 lbs was very consistent and dominant from the blue line as a 15 year old against several top U18 USA Midget Major teams. Should be a top 2013 Qmjhl pick. White has grown and is now playing at 6'1 175 He showed tremendous speed in both zones and continues to be highly skilled. He is the sleeper of all the USA forwards. Could be very successful in the QMJHL at a young age if handled correctly. Fitzgerald on the smaller side at about 5'10 170 excellent skater and defenseman instincts. Made very few errors and showed at the U16 level he could also be an offensive force when he chose to.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:39 AM
checkmate3

Quote:
Originally Posted by usascout1 View Post
Just saw several top American prospects play within the last 3 weeks. It is correct that White, Hanifin and Fitzgerald are QMJHL eligible this year. White, Hanifin playing U18 Midget Major until their prospective prep school season's start. Fitzgerald playing U16 Midget Minor until his high school season. Hanifin at 6'3 200 lbs was very consistent and dominant from the blue line as a 15 year old against several top U18 USA Midget Major teams. Should be a top 2013 Qmjhl pick. White has grown and is now playing at 6'1 175 He showed tremendous speed in both zones and continues to be highly skilled. He is the sleeper of all the USA forwards. Could be very successful in the QMJHL at a young age if handled correctly. Fitzgerald on the smaller side at about 5'10 170 excellent skater and defenseman instincts. Made very few errors and showed at the U16 level he could also be an offensive force when he chose to.
Oakville Rangers Dman, #4 Henley, top OHL pick for sure. Hands down 1st rounder.
His ability to create a play is unreal; hardest blows and skating speed is one of his top strengths. He skates with a "vengeance" style which noticibly intimidates his opponent.
Unreal player for his age.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:30 AM
hockeyanalyst

GTHL top prospects for the 2013 OHL Priority Selection:

Toronto Marlboros forwards:
#16 -Mitchell Stephens
#27 -Dylan Strome

Toronto Jr. Canadiens forwards:
#16 -Carmine Alberga
#54 -Nikita Korostelev

Don Mill Flyers forward:
#87 -Mitch Marner

Don Mill Flyers defenseman:
# 4 -Liam Dunda

Toronto Red Wings forwards:
#13 -Nicolas Vlahos—Forward—Toronto Red Wings
#87 -Jake Avidan—Forward—Toronto Red Wings

Toronto Red Wings defenseman:
# 3 -Jessi Saban

Mississauga Rebels Forward:
#12 -Jacob Hayhurst

Toronto Titans forward:
#15 -Marcus Minichiello

Old
11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
wingman22

To date First Round Thoughts no particular order. I think teams will choose their needs. This year appears to be Defensemen Heavy but these players I think can play next year. Its a obviously a tougher transition for Defensemen.

Fwds: Konecney (Ont), Yan (US), Strome (Ont), Stephens (Ont), Kirwin (US), Greenway (US) Davies (Ont) Mackenzie (Ont)

Def: Wierensky (US), Spencer (Ont), Schlickting (YSE), Henley (US/Ont), McFadden (Ont), Hill (Ont), Peski (Ont), Mayo (Ont), Walters (Ont)

Old
11-09-2012, 11:41 PM
scout97

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
To date First Round Thoughts no particular order. I think teams will choose their needs. This year appears to be Defensemen Heavy but these players I think can play next year. Its a obviously a tougher transition for Defensemen.

Fwds: Konecney (Ont), Yan (US), Strome (Ont), Stephens (Ont), Kirwin (US), Greenway (US) Davies (Ont) Mackenzie (Ont)

Def: Wierensky (US), Spencer (Ont), Schlickting (YSE), Henley (US/Ont), McFadden (Ont), Hill (Ont), Peski (Ont), Mayo (Ont), Walters (Ont)
Agree with all of those players, other players who have a good shot at cracking a ohl lineup next year are D/Cameron lizzotte , D/kyle capobianco, D/josh defairis, D/colton white, F/Aaron luchuck , F/ Lawson crouse, F/Sam harding, F/Adam craivech, F/ Noah Bushnell, F/ blake speers ... if Daniel sprong and Nikita korostelev become ohl eligible then they are almost certain to be playing in the ohl next year

Old
11-10-2012, 03:31 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyanalyst View Post
Toronto Marlboros forwards:
#16 -Mitchell Stephens
#27 -Dylan Strome

Toronto Jr. Canadiens forwards:
#16 -Carmine Alberga
#54 -Nikita Korostelev

Don Mill Flyers forward:
#87 -Mitch Marner

Don Mill Flyers defenseman:
# 4 -Liam Dunda

Toronto Red Wings forwards:
#13 -Nicolas Vlahos—Forward—Toronto Red Wings
#87 -Jake Avidan—Forward—Toronto Red Wings

Toronto Red Wings defenseman:
# 3 -Jessi Saban

Mississauga Rebels Forward:
#12 -Jacob Hayhurst

Toronto Titans forward:
#15 -Marcus Minichiello
How is Vlahos? He used to live near me in Quebec.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:43 PM
scout97

Watched abit of the brantford Boston pizza cup tournement a few players I liked were-

F/James mckeown/ Chatham - great hands, average size, creates scoring chances for his teammates and himself. Probly a mid round draft pick

F/Mctrick / thunder bay - undersized, great speed, great edge work, good offensive skills, plays much bigger then his size, will need to grow and get stronger but defiantly a player to watch.

F/Tanner ferraira/ London green - great skater, works hard , good shot, great speed to beat defenders wide.

D/Jake behse - good size,physically strong, gets shots on net. Great hard tape to tape passes in all 3 zones. Great neutral zone transtions. Skating could use some work. He could be a top 3 round draft pick.

F/ #7 captain dont know the name/ thunder bay - powerful skating stride, great shot, strong against boards and down low, solid overall player

Last edited by scout97: 11-10-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 04:21 PM
wings5

How is the North looking this year? Does Sudbury have a good age group this year?

Old
11-11-2012, 08:14 PM
scout97

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
How is the North looking this year? Does Sudbury have a good age group this year?
Only seen a couple of teams in tournements. North bay is very week, currently dead last place in Ontario. Thunder bay has a pretty good team, big, strong, physical and move the puck well. I suspect a few of them with strong tournament showings will get drafted. Soo has a very good team with 2-4 kids that could be top 3 round picks. Haven't seen copper cliff or sudbury so no report on them.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:40 AM
no Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
Watched abit of the brantford Boston pizza cup tournement a few players I liked were-

F/James mckeown/ Chatham - great hands, average size, creates scoring chances for his teammates and himself. Probly a mid round draft pick

F/Mctrick / thunder bay - undersized, great speed, great edge work, good offensive skills, plays much bigger then his size, will need to grow and get stronger but defiantly a player to watch.

F/Tanner ferraira/ London green - great skater, works hard , good shot, great speed to beat defenders wide.

D/Jake behse - good size,physically strong, gets shots on net. Great hard tape to tape passes in all 3 zones. Great neutral zone transtions. Skating could use some work. He could be a top 3 round draft pick.

F/ #7 captain dont know the name/ thunder bay - powerful skating stride, great shot, strong against boards and down low, solid overall player
Kings captain is Zach Grzlewski

Another I would think to watch from Thunder Bay is Kavanaugh.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:06 AM
scout97

Quote:
Originally Posted by burki15 View Post
Kings captain is Zach Grzlewski

Another I would think to watch from Thunder Bay is Kavanaugh.
What # is he. There was a coup me more kids I liked but I couldent remember names or #

Old
11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
no Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
What # is he. There was a coup me more kids I liked but I couldent remember names or #

They have a nice squad. Should be interesting to see how they do when they play against some of the higher ranked teams

Old
11-13-2012, 12:32 PM
DBHockey15

I was looking for information on how the Kings made out this weekend and I came across this site. Some very interesting information on here and some very informed posters.

Since I'm here, I thought I'd inquire some educated minds on the prospects on the Kings.

What are the top 5 players chances on the Kings of getting drafted and how high?

Forwards : Grzelewski #7
McKay #16
Kitt #10

Defence: Kavanaugh #22
Behse #3

Thanks for any insight that you may have.

Last edited by DBHockey15: 11-13-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
11-13-2012, 05:25 PM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHockey15 View Post
I was looking for information on how the Kings made out this weekend and I came across this site. Some very interesting information on here and some very informed posters.

Since I'm here, I thought I'd inquire some educated minds on the prospects on the Kings.

What are the top 5 players chances on the Kings of getting drafted and how high?

Forwards : Grzelewski #7
McKay #16
Kitt #10

Defence: Kavanaugh #22
Behse #3

Thanks for any insight that you may have.
The boys had a great weekend...the coach is a scout with London and Hunter was there for a few games ...he was impressed with some players...tough to predict because it was their first showing to the southern scouts...and played the lower tier of teams
#7 Grzelewski can sneak in the top 20 if he continues to put points up... 2-3 round
#16 Mckay 3-5 round #10 Kitt 7-10 round
#22 Kavanaugh (offensive) 5-7 round #3 Behse(defensive) 7-10 round
Ask me this question after the Marlies tourney ...it may change...they need to continue to impress against stronger teams...still early

Old
11-13-2012, 05:36 PM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
The NOHA has formed a All Star team from the North to participate at the OHL Cup and the Gold Cup ...you can go on their website and see the roster...the team will have potential first rounder Lizotte (Sudbury) and Spears (Soo)...their are many good players on that list

Old
11-14-2012, 02:52 PM
KillerHockey

What about #9 Hamlin from the Kings very fast great hand very physical for 5'8" and shoots the puck really well. Any thoughts

Old
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM
ScoutReel65

There was something about Graham Brulotte that made me take notice initially. His skating ability. It is up there. A smooth skating forward that can start and stop without missing a step. A bit on the smaller side of the equation but it doesn’t diminish his ability to handle the puck whether in close, or trying to work around a defender. Can find the open space and can create it.

Listed at 6’approx 200 pounds, Steve Mariani is just a force on skates. His balance and strength is something that is very impressive, so much so that I seen players look to hit him, and then bounce off Mariani. Shades of Devante Smith-Pelly. Steve is more than a big body as his skating is what impresses, smooth strides with the ability to find a higher gear when needed. The way he cuts the ice and uses his momentum towards the front of the net is the skill set of a much older player. Mariani has a nice quick shot when in close and has good vision on the ice which helps create options for him when he has the puck. Steve has a good rounded game and possesses the one thing that is unteachable. Size.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Garyboy

Very weird to see the Marlies ranked as low as they are this season, after the last four seasons of having the best Minor Midget teams ('93,'94,'95,'96) in Ontario.

I noticed they only have an honorable mention in this weeks OHL Cup rankings? Are they really not as good as a lot of these teams, or does the ranking have to include a few from each league to look like they're being fair? I just can't picture 10 teams in Ontario being better them. I won't see them until the Silver Stick, so informed opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Also, has anyone seen Compuware this season? I know they have the big '98 potential star in Sean Day playing for them. Looking forward to seeing them in Whitby, too.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:28 PM
HatTrick97

I think the Marlies will regain their swagger. They seem to take a lot of needless penalties though.
They need a bit more scoring from their 2nd and 3rd line as well.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:41 PM
scout97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno607 View Post
What about #9 Hamlin from the Kings very fast great hand very physical for 5'8" and shoots the puck really well. Any thoughts
He can shoot the puck pretty hard, needs to work on accurcey though. Pretty good skater, long strides and has strong legs to drive wide. Has good puck skills. Overall he plays a simple but effective game, but at the same time has pretty good puck skills. If he can continue to impress in big tournements I bet he will have a good shot at getting drafted.

Closed Thread