2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Garyboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I love the fan/family support for PEAC Russia. The full size flag being waved, the passion they have is unbelieveable. Incredible to see that Patriotism and love of the game from any country. The tradition of hand shakes before the game with the gloves off to player and coaching staff, its fantastic.
That's great to hear. The Moscow Selects saluted the crowd after they beat the Marlies, which was nice to see as well.

Is PEAC Russia listed as the Moscow Silver Sharks on the tournament website?

Old
12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Is PEAC Russia listed as the Moscow Silver Sharks on the tournament website?
Yes they are. Did u watch anymore 98's today?

Old
12-28-2012, 07:09 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Strome is like Dal Colle, but not as good. Dal Colle was the star in every one of his games, and was very noticeable. Strome to me is invisible most of the time. His skating is avg, and he is a good playmaker, but thats where it ends for me. Strome gets alot of notice because of his last name.

The Dman- Burns on Oakville is quite impressive. He can skate, has vision and isnt a liability in his own end. I can see him as a late 2nd round pick.
If u keep watching him, I believe u will see it. Strome can appear to be having an average game, but the scoresheet has #16 all over it. I dont think his name matters. Things I see: Minimal turnovers, Excellent QB on the right half wall on the PP, Excellent shot accuracy, Ice water in his veins, does not take selfish penalties, One of the smartest 97 born hockey players(proven by the decisions he makes) and top 3 playmakers in this draft. U take Strome off this team, its not in the Top 3 in the GTHL, it does win or make the semi's at Silver Sticks. He is the backbone of that team.

Burns jumped out at me too this tourney.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Yes they are. Did u watch anymore 98's today?
Unfortunately not. Going to go to Chesswood tomorrow for the round of 16 in the afternoon. Kept tabs on the scoreboard though. Teams that have advanced so far are as follows.

Selke Conference

Moscow Selects
St. Louis Blues
Buffalo Regals
**Marlies have guaranteed themselves the top wild card seeding by way of their 6 points and goal differential. Two divisions still up for grabs.

Legge Conference

Jr. Canadians
Honeybaked
Comcast
Southern Tier Admirals
Long Island Gulls
**Little Caesars tied the Jr Canadians and should likely end up with 7 points, thus ensuring themselves of the top wildcard berth.

Tomorrow should be a lot of fun considering all the heavy hitters are advancing.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:32 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
If u keep watching him, I believe u will see it. Strome can appear to be having an average game, but the scoresheet has #16 all over it. I dont think his name matters. Things I see: Minimal turnovers, Excellent QB on the right half wall on the PP, Excellent shot accuracy, Ice water in his veins, does not take selfish penalties, One of the smartest 97 born hockey players(proven by the decisions he makes) and top 3 playmakers in this draft. U take Strome off this team, its not in the Top 3 in the GTHL, it does win or make the semi's at Silver Sticks. He is the backbone of that team.

Burns jumped out at me too this tourney.
We agree to disagree. He's on the scoresheet because he is always on key situations, including pp, and they play in a weak loop. If you take Strome off the team, the Marlies are still in the top 3 of the GTHL. You take Korostolev off Cdns and they are 5th or 6th in the GTHL.

Today they struggled in their first game, until Stephens was set free on a breakaway and scored. Strome didnt have significant influence on the win.

The Marlies play a good system and game, and thus will always be able to compete. They play well as a team, and it isnt 1 specific person that fuels the team, like Konecny on Elgin Middlesex. That is why, when either Stephens or Strome dont show up, they still win.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:10 PM
willy29

Marlies over Eastern Ontario Wild 5-1 - on to the Qrts

Old
12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Marlies over Eastern Ontario Wild 5-1 - on to the Qrts
Looks like an Oakville/Marlie final, unless upsets.

I liked Barrie to be a sleeper from the onset.

YSE can also beat Oakville as they did in the Early Bird Tourny, but I would think since then, Oakville has matured tremendously.

I cant believe Elgin Middlesex mucked the bed again. Barrie is a strong team, but Elgin was flying during the preliminary rounds.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:48 PM
KillerHockey

I couldn't make any games today and I see Thunder Bay Kings lost out.

How did #7 #16 #9 and # 4 do?

Old
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
mapleleaf979

I wont be surprised to see the Rebels beat the Marlboros .

Old
12-29-2012, 08:28 PM
wings5

Hearing Denis Yan might join the NTDP for next season, are these legitimate rumours?

Old
12-29-2012, 10:19 PM
ontohockey

Quote:
I wont be surprised to see the Rebels beat the Marlboros .
JRC beat the Rebels 2:0 without Korostelev only 2 weeks ago. Yet they played very badly with Korostelev on board throughout the tourney?

Old
12-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Garyboy

I watched the Rebels beat the Marlies 2-0 in the quarters. Like mapleleaf says, Strome does remind you of Del Colle, but in my opinion it's a poor man's Del Colle. The hockey IQ and skill set is strong, but not on Del Colle's level. De Farias is a tremendous skater. Rebels just seemed hungrier. Nobody really stood out.

The '98 Marlies were throttled 5-1 by the Moscow Selects in the quarters. It honestly could have been 7 or 8-1. The Marlie goaltender stopped three breakaways. Moscow just plays such a great puck possession game, and they have some forwards that are head and shoulders better than anyone on the Marlie roster. #17, German Rubstov is phenomenal. Big bodied forward with tremendous speed and puck skills that dominated anytime he was on the ice. # 7 Valerii Naumenkov is a small and speedy forward that was constantly beating the Marlie D. #4, Mikhail Shabanov and #88, Alexander Poleutkin and built like absolute tanks that are power forwards with great skill and speed. All 4 are definite names to keep an eye on, as I'm sure we'll see them on the international stage soon enough.

The semi's are : Ottawa Valley vs Moscow Selects, Detroit Honeybaked vs Team Comcast

I caught the tail end of Honeybaked's 3-1 victory of the Junior Canadians. #71, Adam Mascherin on the Junior Canadians is an incredibly skilled forward. I'm assuming he's considered the number 1 '98 in Ontario, as he looked considerably better than anyone on the Marlies. Defenseman, #98, Victor Mete is a very gifted player that looked great as well. Honeybaked was just a little too big and skilled.

Assuming all goes to hoyle in the semi's, a Honeybaked/Moscow Selects Grand Championship should be a tremendous game. Will be interesting to see if Honeybaked can handle Moscow's obscenely talented forwards. Moscow just has a little too much of everything for Honeybaked to deal with, in my opinion.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:45 PM
chewerjones

Hey Garyboy, I said the exact same thing about Strome to mapleleaf979 in a prior post. I think Strome is more a product of his environment and not catalyst, like McDavid or Fabbri last year.

Korostolev didnt impress during the prelim rounds, but he was rusty and has a poor team around him, so we can give him a mulligan.

Konecny was the best player in the prelims, but wasnt able to push his team to the quarters.

Strome and Stephens came up against a hungry Rebels team, with really no stars (no first rounders), and werent able to lift them to the semis.

I am not surprised to see Oakville and Barrie in the Semis. YSE must be a clutch team as they seemed to get it done when needed.

I would like to see Barrie vs Oakville in the finals.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:55 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
I watched the Rebels beat the Marlies 2-0 in the quarters. Like mapleleaf says, Strome does remind you of Del Colle, but in my opinion it's a poor man's Del Colle. The hockey IQ and skill set is strong, but not on Del Colle's level. De Farias is a tremendous skater. Rebels just seemed hungrier. Nobody really stood out.

The '98 Marlies were throttled 5-1 by the Moscow Selects in the quarters. It honestly could have been 7 or 8-1. The Marlie goaltender stopped three breakaways. Moscow just plays such a great puck possession game, and they have some forwards that are head and shoulders better than anyone on the Marlie roster. #17, German Rubstov is phenomenal. Big bodied forward with tremendous speed and puck skills that dominated anytime he was on the ice. # 7 Valerii Naumenkov is a small and speedy forward that was constantly beating the Marlie D. #4, Mikhail Shabanov and #88, Alexander Poleutkin and built like absolute tanks that are power forwards with great skill and speed. All 4 are definite names to keep an eye on, as I'm sure we'll see them on the international stage soon enough.

The semi's are : Ottawa Valley vs Moscow Selects, Detroit Honeybaked vs Team Comcast

I caught the tail end of Honeybaked's 3-1 victory of the Junior Canadians. #71, Adam Mascherin on the Junior Canadians is an incredibly skilled forward. I'm assuming he's considered the number 1 '98 in Ontario, as he looked considerably better than anyone on the Marlies. Defenseman, #98, Victor Mete is a very gifted player that looked great as well. Honeybaked was just a little too big and skilled.

Assuming all goes to hoyle in the semi's, a Honeybaked/Moscow Selects Grand Championship should be a tremendous game. Will be interesting to see if Honeybaked can handle Moscow's obscenely talented forwards. Moscow just has a little too much of everything for Honeybaked to deal with, in my opinion.
I agree with u Garyboy, Dal Colle last year, is better than Strome is right now, the similarities in there game are there from my view. The 97 draft class cant touch the 96's. Strome is still in the #6 to #12 range for this draft right now. Stephens hasnt gotten much better this year in my opinion, all the skill in the world, dis-engaged at times.

The Marlboro Defensive depth drops off after Defarius and Maclean. I posted a message here after the first period suggestting a loss and I could sense they didnt want this game at all. Rebels they play as a team and have hunger and thats the difference last night. The Rebels roster on paper does not match up at all with the Marlboros. Good coaching/system helps a team progress over the season and a not so good coach helps the team regress. #91 Clapham (REbels) fantastic tournament so far. Ziepierri and Rajic are also very key pieces. They play a tight defensive game.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-30-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 12:13 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Hey Garyboy, I said the exact same thing about Strome to mapleleaf979 in a prior post. I think Strome is more a product of his environment and not catalyst, like McDavid or Fabbri last year.
Just for the record I never said Dal Colle and Strome were equal, its all here in the thread. They remind me very much of one another. I dont think they are miles apart either at the same point in there minor careers. He is having a great year, didnt have his best game tonight and was clearly frustrated at times maybe with the lack of help? Winning Silver Sticks and MVP is still a huge accomplishment. He is over 2 points a game over the season. Great prospect.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:39 AM
mapleleaf979

If the draft were held tomorrow and assuming everyone reports this is the top 5 for me. Ive also heard Yan isnt coming to the OHL. Not sure about the rest of the US boys right now, so here it is. These 5 have created some separation.

1. Day
2. Werenski
3. M.Spencer
4. Konecny
5. Mckenzie

#6 through #15 U have about 20 guys who could be slotted in those areas. The draft is going to be very unpredictable.

* If Konecny was 6-0, he would go #2. Konecny real size is 5-9, maybe 5-8.5 and 145 pounds soaking wet. His physical presence/play now is gone next year. I wont be surprised to see him slide a little more or if #2 or #3 has a certain player not reporting, than Konecny could be bumped up a spot or two. IT will be interesting.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
checkmate3

#3 is listed way to high, have seen better - too individualized for a defenseman
#5 is inconsistent and should be way more aggressive on the puck for his size
Imo, those two are top 20 but not top 5 at all.
Quote:
If the draft were held tomorrow and assuming everyone reports this is the top 5 for me. Ive also heard Yan isnt coming to the OHL. Not sure about the rest of the US boys right now, so here it is. These 5 have created some separation.

1. Day
2. Werenski
3. M.Spencer
4. Konecny
5. Mckenzie

#6 through #15 U have about 20 guys who could be slotted in those areas. The draft is going to be very unpredictable.

* If Konecny was 6-0, he would go #2. Konecny real size is 5-9, maybe 5-8.5 and 145 pounds soaking wet. His physical presence/play now is gone next year. I wont be surprised to see him slide a little more or if #2 or #3 has a certain player not reporting, than Konecny could be bumped up a spot or two. IT will be interesting.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:43 PM
KL14

Titans 98

I guess Honey Baked don't need to worry about the Russians as they feel the Ottawa Valley Titans 2-1...GO TITANS GO.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:21 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
#3 is listed way to high, have seen better - too individualized for a defenseman
Mackenzie is definitely top 10, no questions about it.

Spencer is the best and most ready prospect in Ontario right now. As I have indicated, he is in the same level as Mckeown, and has more end to end ability.

Konecny and Korostolev are the next best prospects in Ontario.

I have seen Day play and no one can deny his ability, in regards to size, skating ability and vision. I have not seen Werenski play, so I cant make an opinion of him.

But if they are better than Spencer, then you may have 3 franchise dmen going top 3 in the OHL draft. Depends on the team drafting, and some may draft by need and some by Best Player Available.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:14 PM
mapleleaf979

York Simcoe is the Marlboro classic champion for minor midget. 2-1 in overtime.
YSE was winning in the third 1-0 with 6 seconds left with a faceoff in YSE end of the ice, Rebels win it and #57 Topatich one times it in off the post and in. 1-1 tie game with 2.8 second left. YSE wins in overtime- Goal by #9 Yaremko. Yaremko was tourney MVP. The net was knocked off the post at basically the same time as they scored it was a bang bang play. Rebels believed it wasnt the right call. Ref swears it was. I think it was. Very evenly matched teams.

YSE stand out performers were:

#6 Schlichting- huge. but not physical. Needs more speed. silky smooth, no panic, always tape to tape
#91 Harding- nice skater, good on the cycle game, digs hard for the puck, bomb of a shot
#97 Barrow- wide based skater, nice speed, made a nice impact, bomb of a shot
#84 Knott: love this kids compete level, very courageous, gives it all. Nice feet, average puck skills, hungry on the cycle game. A load to deal with at times. #1 pk unit. Hard workers are usually on the PK.

#70(G)Semaio: This goalie is not very big. He is so ice cool in the net. His glove hand is excellent, but most impressive are his rebound control. Low shots are kicked in the corners all game long, out of danger. Awesome to watch this. That goalie gives YSE so much confidence. Id say he was game MVP. REbels tried to run him to get him off his game, it didnt work.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
mapleleaf979

Detroit Honeybaked won the bantam tourney. 3-1 vs Ottawa Valley Titans. Ottawa's goalie Dods is smaller stood out in this game, very good goalie. I watched the first 2 periods. I was in awe of #29 Michael LaTorella(goalie). This kid looks like a star. Ottawa had some excellent scoring chances in the first period, this goalie made these chances look pedestrian. He has unbelieveable rebound control well beyond his years. He is excellent at handling the puck. U can see how well he skates leaving his net. Dump and Chase he is comes out like a 3rd Dman and will burn u on a poor line change. He also constantly settles the puck behind his net on dump ins. Big Goalie, his angles were perfect. Very calm, Very efficent. Tight butterfly. High shots were always caught or smoothered against his body.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Fair enough. Who is this better #3 pick? Dont put Konecny there because your just moving my names around and avoiding the missing name. #5 can be argued 100%. I could make a case with 3-4-5 names at the #5 spot. Henley is not going #3 by the way.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
H44

Thanks to Mapleleaf, Chewer Jones, and Garyboy for the excellent reports on the Marlies Classic.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
ImaBullsfan

Very interested in some early mock drafts as the league sits now. I don't get out to see the top prospects enough so, I'm relying on the knowledge of all you posters!

Old
12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
wings5

Is Ottawa Valley the best team in Ontario amongst the 98s?

Closed Thread