Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
mike bowman

vCash: 500
I'm not sure why you gentlemen all hate the GNML so much . First they've been around for over 25 years providing a league for boys from Northeaster Ontario to play competitive hockey . Their mandate at the formation of the league was to allow the higher skill level players , officials and coaches the opportunity to develop closer to home if they choose to . The league does not mandate how teams run tryouts , the OHF and Hockey Canada have rules that must be followed and as far as I know they are . No team would force a player to play there if they didn't want to . That would be foolish and counterproductive . If the Soo Thunder and the North Stars agree that all players should be made available to the major team first that is their concern and not the GNML's . The team and city are hosts to the All Canadian Championships and would like to have the best team possible . The North Stars run a fantastic program and have routinely sent more players to the OHL than any other program at any level in the region . Any player on that team will get more development and exposure than most players in Ontario . They have an aggressive tournament schedule in Southern Ontario and it is the one city in the region that OHL , NCAA and NHL scouts visit on a regular basis . I have found through my own dealings with scouts that they are just as impressed with how a minor player competes with older players on a major squad as they are with how they compete with the ones their own age . Sometimes moreso . In the case of Brett Hargraves as a bantam playing for the North Bay AAA team I witnessed in excess of 35 scouts watching him play as at a tournament in Ottawa several years ago . It was clear by their talk that he was already considered a high first round pick in the past draft regardless of where he played his minor year . If you concern is politics in minor hockey then you should concentrate more on those issues in the Toronto area . Most of the issues of recruitment and such stem from the Toronto area push to ice teams for their own egos . Why else would a minor league have a rule allowing imports . It certainly isn't to develop their own local players , it's about money and politics and bragging rights . Hockey now at all elite levels is businesses first and sport second . If you don't believe that then you are gullible . The GNML has attempted to address the minor midget issue for 5 years now without much support from the other factions of the NOHA . They ran the OHL cup program for a number of years and shared the expense of the team . They have proposed in recent years the formation of a select team from the league to attend the minor midget tournaments . That was rejected for political reasons by the membership of the NOHA . They have supported the formation of the same concept called The Gold Cup Team , for players from the NOHA regardless of affiliation this season that ,is being run by the NOHA itself . They have agreed to release any players on member teams to play for this Gold cup team . They have supported the NOHA's attempt to form a minor midget AAA division / league starting next season and have offered to help in any way they can to make it a success . The move to minor midget AAA may have been slower than some may have liked here in the north but it is a work in progress and will be completed as soon as next season . How it works out given the lower number of players in the region and distances involved will be interesting to watch . As for the OHL , given the recent Windor situation , you can now see that the players and their development re not really the focus of the league as much as they would like to believe it is . It is a business and if a player isn't what they want he can be moved . In spite of all the money and scouting they really don't have a great success ratio in identifying who will be the better prospect later on . All these minor midget AAA leagues , tournaments and team do is make it easier and less costly for them to see players . I'm sure they appreciate somebody else doing all the work to make their jobs easier . In closing a good friend of mine told me after his son played a year of minor midget AAA that it was the biggest waste of time and money he had ever made . It didn't improve his sons draft stock or his level of skill whatsoever . He was told by the team that drafted his son that he was their pick at that spot after they saw him play bantam hockey the season before . Have a good season and feel free to discuss between yourselves because I think you're all delusional and I don't really care about this site and it's foolishness anymore .

Old
08-18-2012, 10:43 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I was able to catch the Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs vs Sarnia jr Sting exhibition game Friday night

To put it bluntly? Elgin dominated winning 8-0 (it's only August though).

I didn't have a roster on hand so it was tough to find out names but i recognized a few

The only players that stood out to me on Sarnia were the goaltender and. #91 (small but very smart). Again, help me out if you can

Track Konecny was a great to watch. His game is so appealing to any hockey fan. His fundamentals are great, he's aggressive, he wants the puck, he hits and he may have one of the best releases at his age that I've come across. Oh, he recorded 4 assists

Drew Worrad had a very strong game recording a hat trick scoring 3 different ways - EV, SH and PP. He is a good skaters with good instincts and showed some great puck skills scoring a cpl highlight reel goals.

Cole Mayo didn't register any points that I'm aware if but he is fun to watch on D. Great skater that shows tremendous patience with the puck.

Lawson Crouse netted a hat trick. Moves pretty well for a big kid. Good touch around the net. Physically, he out muscled the opposition

I'm not sure if I heard this name pronounced right (I'm just getting into following the MM level) but "Brookshaw" (???) was very good. He showed good pick pursuit and was especially dangerous inside the hash marks. He wore #8

I look forward to following this age group and will post as i take in games.

Old
08-19-2012, 02:53 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I'm not sure if I heard this name pronounced right (I'm just getting into following the MM level) but "Brookshaw" (???) was very good. He showed good pick pursuit and was especially dangerous inside the hash marks. He wore #8
My guess would be Carson Brookshaw. He's always played in Huron Perth, so I'm not quite sure how he landed in Elgin Middlesex this year.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:59 AM
hockeyonice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channer33 View Post
Of these names who is projected to be drafted.

Thanks
top two are Blacker and Schoeman others could be late rounders

Old
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Pioneer5

Alot of talk about goalies from SCTA. What are the top goalies from the GTHL.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Hockey Fan 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyonice View Post
First tournament starts 4 weeks from today lots of good teams out there to watch
gthl alliance eta scta north
Marlies EMC York Simcoe Oakville Soo Thunder
Rebels London gold Whitby Brampton
Jr. Can Kingston Southern tier

Plus many more should be a great start to the year
We may need to scratch the Soo Thunder from this list as it is rumoured that the NOHA has put up a road block at the 11th hour that may have them missing the Toronto Titans tournament. For an organization that should be partnering with their teams, it appears as though they are more concerned about their rules and process than they are at getting the kids on the ice and in competitive tournaments. It is quite obvious that political agendas are overshadowing their responsibilities to kids and promoting successful hockey programs in the north.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan 19 View Post
We may need to scratch the Soo Thunder from this list as it is rumoured that the NOHA has put up a road block at the 11th hour that may have them missing the Toronto Titans tournament. For an organization that should be partnering with their teams, it appears as though they are more concerned about their rules and process than they are at getting the kids on the ice and in competitive tournaments. It is quite obvious that political agendas are overshadowing their responsibilities to kids and promoting successful hockey programs in the north.
Not shocked. It seems as thou those in the GNML seem's more intent on keeping themselves relevent vs. the development of players, which is why we have seen so many in that leauge up in arms about the growth of minor midget. I've been saying it for years, but something needs to change up north.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Hockey Fan 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Not shocked. It seems as thou those in the GNML seem's more intent on keeping themselves relevent vs. the development of players, which is why we have seen so many in that leauge up in arms about the growth of minor midget. I've been saying it for years, but something needs to change up north.
I don't think it's the GNML in this case Tigers. My understanding is that the Minor Midget team will be granted although the administrative red tape in putting this final approval in place will not be done in time for the Titans tourney which is more than 2 weeks away. The NOHA office apparently does not go outside their timeline bounds for any team. I wonder if the Marlies have this same problem with the GTHL.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I don't think it's the GNML in this case Tigers. My understanding is that the Minor Midget team will be granted although the administrative red tape in putting this final approval in place will not be done in time for the Titans tourney which is more than 2 weeks away. The NOHA office apparently does not go outside their timeline bounds for any team. I wonder if the Marlies have this same problem with the GTHL.
Nope, they don't.

And I would be shocked it the GNHL was not part of the issue. They have been putting pressure on the NOHA to have the AA program scrapped due to it taking prospects away from them, aka, the 'they don't play within the system' (the system being the GNHL) rhetoric that was coming out of the GNHL a few years ago with the 95 Sudbury team, who also was denyed card's for the OHL Cup.

When I heard that the GNHL had put in place the rule that every player had to tryout for their teams before the 97 teams, I knew we where going to see more of the same. Two weeks later, the 97's already have an issue.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Hockey Fan 19

Quote:
Nope, they don't.

And I would be shocked it the GNHL was not part of the issue. They have been putting pressure on the NOHA to have the AA program scrapped due to it taking prospects away from them, aka, the 'they don't play within the system' (the system being the GNHL) rhetoric that was coming out of the GNHL a few years ago with the 95 Sudbury team, who also was denyed card's for the OHL Cup.

When I heard that the GNHL had put in place the rule that every player had to tryout for their teams before the 97 teams, I knew we where going to see more of the same. Two weeks later, the 97's already have an issue.
Can Hockey Canada not step in to ensure that the best interests of the kids are protected?? Seems logical but not much in Minor hockey makes sense these days. There no doubt that tournament organizers want to see the Thunder in their tournaments....who is the NOHA to decide otherwise??

Old
08-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Can Hockey Canada not step in to ensure that the best interests of the kids are protected?? Seems logical but not much in Minor hockey makes sense these days. There no doubt that tournament organizers want to see the Thunder in their tournaments....who is the NOHA to decide otherwise??
Organizers, scouts, GM's, everyone wants them. It just makes so much sense. But, those who have something to loose continue to work behind the scenes to make sure they don't loose. Im a pretty balanced poster as others can attest, but I have zero room for playing with the future of 15 year old kids in the name of holding into there perceived importance.

Not much to be done other then put pressure on the NOHA, but It appears as thou they are already have yielded to one side thou.

Old
08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
nickels

Quote:
I made some calls...the Soo will not be getting their cards until after The Titans Tourney so they are out...Also North Bay will also be pulling out of the Titans Tourney (their team folded )because the major team needs players so the NOHA will not give them cards for a minor team

Old
08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I made some calls...the Soo will not be getting their cards until after The Titans Tourney so they are out...Also North Bay will also be pulling out of the Titans Tourney (their team folded )because the major team needs players so the NOHA will not give them cards for a minor team
So disapointing.....Why the Major Midget team takes proirity is beyond me. There are more then enough kids to play U18.

I have heard for years that players up north don't get enough exposure, so individual organizations put in programs to help that. Once the GMHL find out that may take away some of their top draft eligible players, they work to put a stop to it.

The absolute definition of politics holding back its talent.

EDIT: Hopefully the U16 players on North bay find roster spots. If they could field a team, but the Major Midget team didn't have enough players, maybe the Major Midget team should have folded. I get that would never happen, but it should. The U16 team organizers did their job.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 08-21-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old
08-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Lucac

Past weekend I saw a good 97 team from North Bay playing at a Canlan touney in Toronto. Is this the Minor Midget team that folded?

Old
08-22-2012, 07:44 AM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucac View Post
Past weekend I saw a good 97 team from North Bay playing at a Canlan touney in Toronto. Is this the Minor Midget team that folded?
I'm thinking that it was them....they probably used this tourney to make their team and prepare for the Titans tourney

Old
08-25-2012, 12:52 AM
scout97

The Scouting news pre season draft rankings has a 98 underage U.S defencemen playing up a year ranked #1 overall for the next OHL draft. I can't really see exceptional status being granted again this year to anyone, especially a U.S kid who might only report to certain teams

Old
08-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
The Scouting news pre season draft rankings has a 98 underage U.S defencemen playing up a year ranked #1 overall for the next OHL draft. I can't really see exceptional status being granted again this year to anyone, especially a U.S kid who might only report to certain teams
Careful about The Scouting News. Its a pay to play magazine. There are a few other sites that are much, much more reliable/honest.

Old
08-25-2012, 01:25 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Quote:
Careful about The Scouting News. Its a pay to play magazine. There are a few other sites that are much, much more reliable/honest.
I wouldn't give much weight, if any, to The Scouting News for this reason but I'd guess the prospect in question is Chad Krys, a defenseman that will be playing for the Connecticut Oilers U-16 team this season. Krys is already 6'0, 165lbs and USHR says he's on the same level as Noah Hanifin ('97 US d-man that USHR gushes about) so it's certainly high praise and Krys apparently dominated the recent UNH hockey camp. Krys' father is actually Canadian (Mark Krys, from Timmins) and played at Boston University. Jack Parker is already following Krys so those ties may be tough to break. He's so young though so much can happen.

08-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I wouldn't give much weight, if any, to The Scouting News for this reason but I'd guess the prospect in question is Chad Krys, a defenseman that will be playing for the Connecticut Oilers U-16 team this season. Krys is already 6'0, 165lbs and USHR says he's on the same level as Noah Hanifin ('97 US d-man that USHR gushes about) so it's certainly high praise and Krys apparently dominated the recent UNH hockey camp. Krys' father is actually Canadian (Mark Krys, from Timmins) and played at Boston University. Jack Parker is already following Krys so those ties may be tough to break. He's so young though so much can happen.
Sean Day is another strong candidate. But ya, US born players won't apply for exemptional status. Ranking them as such is moot.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
That's probably Sean Day. He was an absolute man-child last year for Honeybaked. He should also dominate playing a year up this year with the 97's. He looked like he could have played Minor Midget last year.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:00 AM
walker33

saw yse vs waterloo the yse goalie numbe r70 very good, sam harding, schlichling and corello looked awesome as well

Old
08-27-2012, 08:49 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Caught another Elgin-Middlesex game yesterday. 6-1 win for Elgin

I was extremely impressed with Andrew Kim. Excellent skater who makes strong and smart decisions. Reliable in both sides of the puck. He outplayed Konecny which is a strong statement. Konecny was good too but made some high risk plays that didn't pan out.

Cody Mayo certainly looks like a top prospect

Crouse is an extremely opportunistic scorer. His skating is rough to watch but he gets from point A to B well. He scored twice

Worrad was strong as well

Carroll on D was excellent as he played a solid two-way game

Cal Horvat ('98) was brought up from the Major Bantams and he was arguably elgin's 2nd best defender...and he was playing his off side on the point. Looks like Bo's little brother has game too

Sarnia wasn't much of a challenge but Elgin looks very strong and should compete with London for top spot. Others who impressed:
Travis Moore (Sarnia)
Brookshaw (EMC)
Josh Coyle (EMC)
Broomhead (EMC)

Old
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
scout97

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
saw yse vs waterloo the yse goalie numbe r70 very good, sam harding, schlichling and corello looked awesome as well
Both teams should be strong this year. What was the score of that game if you don't mind me asking

Old
08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
walker33

Quote:
Both teams should be strong this year. What was the score of that game if you don't mind me asking
5-2 for YSE and they looked like men amongst boys, much better team then waterloo

I was surprised that sinclair of YSE was so good for how small he is.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:24 AM
walker33

York Simocebeating marlies and oakville in shootouts to win the titan tourny!!!!!

Closed Thread