HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Random Thoughts on some AHL level prospects

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2004, 10:24 PM
CorneliusBennet

vCash: 500
Random Thoughts on some AHL level prospects

I have seen about 20 AHL games this year, mostly Chicago Wolves and Grand Rapids Griffins games, as well as several Milwaukee Admiral, St.John's and San Antonio games. I thought I'd pass my notes taken in-game. Take them for what they're worth. Please keep in mind that due to geography I cannot/do not see *any* Eastern Conference teams play, much to my lament.

The Good:

Nicklas Kronwall - the BEST AHLer I've seen all year, easilly. He stands out head and shoulders above any of the others, from Ryan Suter to Nathan Horton to Kari Lehtonen (I've seen every game he's played this year by the way.) He is going to be an all-star shortly after he enters the league and IMO will play at *near* Lidstrom like levels for a long time. He's is so far superior to Carlo Colaiacovo, Suter, Klein, Hamhuis and even Bouwmeester, that it's hardly fair. The single best player in the league that I've seen. His vision of the ice is outstanding, his passing incredibly accurate. He's as smart a player as they get. He can play a physical style and does NOT shy away from physical contact. He clears the front of the net with some authority and can display a nasty side, but nobody, IMO will every really *fear* him physically. His defensive play is, like Lidstrom's, technically perfect. He reads plays as well as any of them and uses his stick effectively in the passing lanes. He's a great find for the Wings.

Of the other young dmen I mention I was impressed by Hamhuis as being a guy who is all around capable in both ends, plays an intelligent game and should be a very solid top 4 dman for years to come. He's one of those guys that does everything well but no one thing exceptionally. He lacks the high end offensive instincts that Kronwall and others have shown. He's solid defensively and you can tell he's only going to get better in that regard. I don't see true number one dman in his future, though.

Matt Stajan - I am not a big fan of the Leaf's prospects playing at the AHL level after having seen (only) a handful of their games. I am following with interest the thread on Wellwood. I don't see him as an NHLer of impact but I was going to get to him later. Stajan I like. I like his one step acceleration, his hockey smarts and his play in all 3 zones. I like the fact that he can create chances off the forecheck and finish them. He can beat the occasional defenseman to the outside and he's not afraid to go to the net. I like his shot, particularly a couple of wristers he unleashed in the games I saw. I can bet his coaches like him as he seems very coachable. Wouldn't shock me to see him get both PP and PK time at the NHL level. (but probably not first line PP time. Although I bet he could turn into a very solid PKiller)

Jean-Franc Racine - I've seen him play twice and he was on in both games. I was very surprised. He was great against the Wolves the first time I saw him. Very solid fundamentally, played his angles well, kept his compsure. Got beat high glove on the lone Wolves goal (pun intended I guess) but was very solid all the way around. Certainly proved he can play at the AHL level, IMO.

Kari Lehtonen - as I've said, I've seen every game he's played so far this year. He's just really big and quick and sound fundamentally. All the tools you need to be a world class goalie. Great glove hand, quick pads. He started slow because basically the Wolves are very mediocre and they were bad defensively in front of him at the beginning of the year. He's come on as of late. He was scratched (given the day off) yesterday (and the kid behind him played well as the Wolves whipped a sad sack San Antonio team, who I was going to mention in a minute...) but he was on a hot streak as the Wolves regrouped as a team. His play has rounded into form. I wasn't that impressed early on as he let in some pretty soft goals at the beginning of the year. I get the feeling he's probably frustrated to be back at the AHL and not playing his first full NHL season. He's just about everything they say he is in net. Fun to watch, too. And he has images of half naked women on his helmet, too.

The Bad:

Carlo Colaiacovo - sorry, Leafs fans, I just don't get the hype... he plays a dumb game, IMO. I've seen him on several occasions and have watched him very closely and if I were his coach, I'd have slapped him silly (or would have wanted to) on many occasions. He either plays it lazy or flat out stupid. He makes boneheaded reads, bad passes, pulls up in pursuit of the puck and in general displays the upside of a 2nd rate prospect. I can see the natural skills: he's a solid skater, nice size, good shot, can make the nice pass on occasion. He taunts with that package of skills and he's young so maybe he'll put them all together, the talent level is high although not nearly the elite level (Kronwall-level) of some of his peers. He could turn into a very solid top 4 or he could just as easilly become a guy who floats from team to team, never putting it together or simply lacking the character or hockey sense to be a top end player at the NHL level. We'll see. I'll put it to you this way, if he were my teams top prospect, I'd not be thrilled.

Jay Bouwmeester - I have not been impressed w/Jay in the 4 or 5 SA games I've seen so far. Again, you can see truly high end talent there. He's a great skater (Coffey was better, though) and his size is, well, he's just plain huge. Pronger big. But he really does not use his size effectively and still makes bad reads on defense. I watched a young Chris Pronger come into the league and develop and the one thing about Pronger is you could tell he was just plain nasty to play against, even if he blew coverage. He hurt people, mostly with his stick, but he still was nasty to play against. I don't see that in Jay. He lacks the instinct to hurt his opponents the way Pronger does. Also I'm not sure Jay has the same composure that Pronger displays, which is what sets Chris apart, that and his amazing outlet passes and great defensize zone coverage. Jay will learn the defensize zone assignments in due time but I don't think he'll ever have that nasty edge that makes opposing players fear him and therefore takes him to the next level. Offensively he's still developing although the tools are there. He could make decisions a bit quicker on the power play and move the puck a bit better, IMO, which is perhaps one of the reasons SA has had such a hard time scoring goals.

I was going to talk about Wellwood, Kevin Klein, Nathan Robinson (intriguing prospect) Stephan Weiss and Shishkanov but I'll save that for another post.

In summation, the best TEAM I've seen so far has pretty much been Milwaukee. Grand Rapids has some skilled players and they're fun to watch but they're really small and easilly pushed around. Chicago is mediocre in every way execept with Lehtonen in net. I expected signifigantly more from SA than I've seen, too.

Old
11-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Carlo Colaiacovo - sorry, Leafs fans, I just don't get the hype... he plays a dumb game, IMO. I've seen him on several occasions and have watched him very closely and if I were his coach, I'd have slapped him silly (or would have wanted to) on many occasions. He either plays it lazy or flat out stupid. He makes boneheaded reads, bad passes, pulls up in pursuit of the puck and in general displays the upside of a 2nd rate prospect. I can see the natural skills: he's a solid skater, nice size, good shot, can make the nice pass on occasion. He taunts with that package of skills and he's young so maybe he'll put them all together, the talent level is high although not nearly the elite level (Kronwall-level) of some of his peers. He could turn into a very solid top 4 or he could just as easilly become a guy who floats from team to team, never putting it together or simply lacking the character or hockey sense to be a top end player at the NHL level. We'll see. I'll put it to you this way, if he were my teams top prospect, I'd not be thrilled.
Sorry, but this is complete garbage.

Old
11-30-2004, 12:07 PM
LesCanadiens

Whats the matter, Pep. That seems like a pretty objective "one mans opinion". Although the same can be said for almost every young, offensively minded D-Man prospect playing in any league on earth.

In my opinion I was reasonably impressed with him during his short stints in the bigs.

Most young offensive D-men take time to build their patience level and decision making skills.

Who knows for sure? He could turn out to be one of:
  1. Paul Coffee
  2. Gaston Gingras
  3. Jason Herter

Old
11-30-2004, 12:20 PM
mooseOAK*

You do know that Colaiacovo wears number 8 don't you? It seems that you are describing maybe Regan Kelly.

Old
11-30-2004, 01:03 PM
CorneliusBennet

I will always welcome constructive criticism of my opinions. "This is garbage" doesn't really qualify, though.

CC is vastly overrated, IMO. I've stated my reasons why. I've seen him play a bunch of times. He has a long way to go for the reasons I mentioned. Sorry I couldn't tell you your top prospect is golden. From what I saw, he's not even one of the top 10 young dmen in the AHL.

Old
11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
You do know that Colaiacovo wears number 8 don't you? It seems that you are describing maybe Regan Kelly.
I venture a guess that I've seen CC at the AHL level as much as most people on this board have... I base my opinions on watching the prospects play, which is more than I can say for a LOT of posters on this board.

I could give you about 3 pages of notes on the St.John's games I've seen this year.

Old
11-30-2004, 01:09 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusBennet
I venture a guess that I've seen CC at the AHL level as much as most people on this board have... I base my opinions on watching the prospects play, which is more than I can say for a LOT of posters on this board.

I could give you about 3 pages of notes on the St.John's games I've seen this year.
I have seen a number of St. John's games this season also which is why your comments are so baffling to me.

Old
11-30-2004, 01:23 PM
leafaholix*

lol...

I've heard better reviews of Colaiacovo from Hab fans.

Old
11-30-2004, 01:24 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
I have seen a number of St. John's games this season also which is why your comments are so baffling to me.

I wrote a fairly lengthy analysis of CC's game and it's shortcomings. I have yet to recieve a response that even comes close to a reply of the same content, to be honest. All you guys have done so far is say "you're wrong" but you haven't given a shred of evidence or supported your statements with any kind of analysis. Tell me specifically where you think I'm wrong, I'd be glad to listen. I personally don't care one way or the other about Leafs prospects and how they turn out, so I have no agenda other than an honest evaluation of players as I see them.

Old
11-30-2004, 01:44 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I wrote a fairly lengthy analysis of CC's game and it's shortcomings. I have yet to recieve a response that even comes close to a reply of the same content, to be honest. All you guys have done so far is say "you're wrong" but you haven't given a shred of evidence or supported your statements with any kind of analysis. Tell me specifically where you think I'm wrong, I'd be glad to listen. I personally don't care one way or the other about Leafs prospects and how they turn out, so I have no agenda other than an honest evaluation of players as I see them.
Your analysis is so far out in left field it is extremely difficult to know where to begin a rebuttal which is why you get a response like "it's garbage". Colaiacovo is playing 30 minutes a game with a rookie as his partner, against the other teams' best players, producing offensively, playing physically, makes an excellent first pass out of his zone, in short doing everything a no. 1 defenceman is supposed to do. And, his team is winning.

If you knew his coach, Doug Shedden, at all you would know that if there was a fraction of truth to the way you see Colaiacovo we would hear it from him first and a long time ago.

Old
11-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Hey Cornelius, you forgot about some good Manchester guys...

Old
11-30-2004, 02:15 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Hey Cornelius, you forgot about some good Manchester guys...
I only comment on players I've seen play. I only get to see Western Conference games.

Old
11-30-2004, 02:18 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Your analysis is so far out in left field it is extremely difficult to know where to begin a rebuttal which is why you get a response like "it's garbage". Colaiacovo is playing 30 minutes a game with a rookie as his partner, against the other teams' best players, producing offensively, playing physically, makes an excellent first pass out of his zone, in short doing everything a no. 1 defenceman is supposed to do. And, his team is winning.

If you knew his coach, Doug Shedden, at all you would know that if there was a fraction of truth to the way you see Colaiacovo we would hear it from him first and a long time ago.
I'm very aware of the circumstances he's playing in/under, etc. He's no different than about 10 or so other young dmen (minimum) in the AHL so I don't really cut him any special slack. I respond to what I see on the ice. He's a young, raw dman who definately has some nice skills and good size but so do a LOT of young prospects. I am saying that in the games I've seen him I've been very unimpressed with his decision making and defensive zone coverage, but will cut him some slack as a young, rookie dman in his first professional season. What I didn't particularly care for was what I believe to be his lack of effort (*this happened several times*) at various parts of the game and, again, his poor decision making. He has some developing to do.
Looking at a guy like Kronwall or even Suter and you see far more polished players.
Just my opinions.

Old
11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I'm very aware of the circumstances he's playing in/under, etc. He's no different than about 10 or so other young dmen (minimum) in the AHL so I don't really cut him any special slack. I respond to what I see on the ice. He's a young, raw dman who definately has some nice skills and good size but so do a LOT of young prospects. I am saying that in the games I've seen him I've been very unimpressed with his decision making and defensive zone coverage, but will cut him some slack as a young, rookie dman in his first professional season. What I didn't particularly care for was what I believe to be his lack of effort (*this happened several times*) at various parts of the game and, again, his poor decision making. He has some developing to do.
Looking at a guy like Kronwall or even Suter and you see far more polished players.
Just my opinions.

Okay, but to clarify he is in his second pro season. In his first he made the AHL all star game.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:00 PM
bruins4777*

Its good to know kari's regrouped.

It kinda sucks that bouwmeester is doing so poorly. It sounds like he might be unhappy or something...I don't see why so many are so obssesed with this "mean streak". Lidstrom doesn't have a mean streak. I realize he is huge and doesn't use his size, but come on you don't HAVE to have a mean streak to be a dominant dman. I personally think bouwmeester is a better skater than paul coffey, but thats just my opinion. O well, i hope bouwmeester regroups from what your saying i KNOW he is better than that. The mean streak thing you pointed out is something i'm not suprised by, but he really doesn't NEED to have it to be a great dman. And the thing about him making poor defensive responses is VERY suprising...

also, your saying bouwmeester isn't showing poise? very weird....

Anyways, its good to know hamhuis is doing great. How's shishkanov, upshall, and suter?

Old
11-30-2004, 03:06 PM
BuppY
100% Aloe Vera

Dude!!

Carlo is over-rated, have you watched him lately, he is getting great reviews from his Head coach and he has said he has improved a lot from last year.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:09 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777

It kinda sucks that bouwmeester is doing so poorly. It sounds like he might be unhappy or something...I don't see why so many are so obssesed with this "mean streak". Lidstrom doesn't have a mean streak. I realize he is huge and doesn't use his size, but come on you don't HAVE to have a mean streak to be a dominant dman. I personally think bouwmeester is a better skater than paul coffey, but thats just my opinion. O well, i hope bouwmeester regroups from what your saying i KNOW he is better than that. The mean streak thing you pointed out is something i'm not suprised by, but he really doesn't NEED to have it to be a great dman. And the thing about him making poor defensive responses is VERY suprising...

Anyways, its good to know hamhuis is doing great. How's shishkanov, upshall, and suter?
Yes, to be honest I was suprised by Bouwmeesters "lack" (wouldn't call it a lack of poise but I had my expectations pretty high for him at the AHL level) of poise, and by that I mean the ability to control the play, like Pronger does, to slow it down or open up space with an outlet pass, etc. The kid is still young. All the tools in the world. I do have to see more of him, as we all do, in order to judge, of course.

I was going to get to Shiskanov, upshall and suter in a later post. I have to find my game notes though.

And yes, it was my horrible mistake to forget CC spent last year in the AHL. Oh, gee... I'm sure none of you have had such minor mental lapses.

I base all my posts and opinions on having watched players play, nothing more, nothing less. That he played at the AHL level last year for the entire year affects my feelings regarding his play this year not in the least. I realize that all Leafs fans simply will ignore or attempt to invalidate any opinions that run contrary to what they want to hear, it's human nature. I'm am telling you, though, that CC is not a 'sure thing' to develop into a top 3 NHL dman. Certainly not like Kronwall or even Suter or Hamhuis are.

MY OPINIONS. Thanks.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:14 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Yes, to be honest I was suprised by Bouwmeesters "lack" (wouldn't call it a lack of poise but I had my expectations pretty high for him at the AHL level) of poise, and by that I mean the ability to control the play, like Pronger does, to slow it down or open up space with an outlet pass, etc. The kid is still young. All the tools in the world. I do have to see more of him, as we all do, in order to judge, of course.

I was going to get to Shiskanov, upshall and suter in a later post. I have to find my game notes though.

And yes, it was my horrible mistake to forget CC spent last year in the AHL. Oh, gee... I'm sure none of you have had such minor mental lapses.

I base all my posts and opinions on having watched players play, nothing more, nothing less. That he played at the AHL level last year for the entire year affects my feelings regarding his play this year not in the least. I realize that all Leafs fans simply will ignore or attempt to invalidate any opinions that run contrary to what they want to hear, it's human nature. I'm am telling you, though, that CC is not a 'sure thing' to develop into a top 3 NHL dman. Certainly not like Kronwall or even Suter or Hamhuis are.

MY OPINIONS. Thanks.
thats really weird...that is what i consider one of bouwmeester's strengths. I've seen him take the puck rush it up crank it off the post and then regroup perfectly and slow down the play and put the puck right on the stick of a player and generate a goal. I've seen him carry the puck up slow everything down, speed it up again and dominate...meh this is weird.

Anyways, i've always had my suspicions about CC, these only further confirm them.

And leafs guys you have to realize that this is just a guy's opinion, don't blast a guy just cause of his opinion. Anyways, i'd like to say i really like how cornelius laid out his opinion. Rather than act arrogant, he simply said many time JUST MY OPINION. You guys need to lay off.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:19 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
thats really weird...that is what i consider one of bouwmeester's strengths. I've seen him take the puck rush it up crank it off the post and then regroup perfectly and slow down the play and put the puck right on the stick of a player and generate a goal. I've seen him carry the puck up slow everything down, speed it up again and dominate...meh this is weird.

Anyways, i've always had my suspicions about CC, these only further confirm them.

And leafs guys you have to realize that this is just a guy's opinion, don't blast a guy just cause of his opinion. Anyways, i'd like to say i really like how cornelius laid out his opinion. Rather than act arrogant, he simply said many time JUST MY OPINION. You guys need to lay off.

I really should have prefaced my comments on JB by mentioning that he has not had the best start at the AHL level this year by all accounts. I refuse to make any kind of binding assertion on his future, which is as bright as they get in the league, but I may have caught him on his bad games. Sort of in the same situation with Nathan Horton, a player who I won't pass along any of my game notes just because I get the feeling I've seen every one of his bad/mediocre games this year and none of his good ones. Hard to get a feel for a player under those circumstances. Just like I've seen jf racine's good games and probably slightly overrate him based on it.
by the way I have my own opinions on why SA has struggled all year long, particularly scoring goals but I'd love to hear from others who have seen them play what *they* think the problem is... talent-wise SA should be among the top teams in the AHL.

Last edited by CorneliusBennet: 11-30-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old
11-30-2004, 03:32 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:

Suter - he is a carbon copy of Gary. It's just weird. He seems a little bigger, though. I also get the feeling he's just as mean. He plays the game with confidence that are beyond his years which is a great sign for a young dman. He's positionally sound. All the tools you need: very good skater (not elite level but a notch below. Strong stride, great lower body strength) and a very good outlet passer. Developing an awareness on the power play. Accurate shot. Could be a bit more creative offensively. Joins the rush with intelligence and doesn't sacrafice defensively to do so, which I think shows great maturity and understanding of the game. Pretty obviously top 4 dman potential, that goes without saying. Really gotta love Hamhuis, Suter and Klein's potential as a group.

Shishkanov - I've really enjoyed watching him play as he is one of the truly potential 'high end' prospects up front for Milwaukee. I see a lot of potential there, starting with his size and his ability to use it. He suffers the classic symptom of young 'power forwards' (of which he can become) by taking shifts off (gotta be demanding to play that role EVERY shift) and his concentration seems to wane at various points throughout the game. Still, I've seen a few shifts which, were I a Preds fan, I'd be pretty happy with. He's a great skater and has great size and has a great shot. Not sure where his head is at a lot of times, though. Seems like he only plays at a high level when he feels motivated to and that is incredibly frustrating for teammates. I commented to a friend that you could take Tootoo's attitude and heart and put it in Shish's body and you'd have a monster on your hands. Shishkanov will aggravate fans with his inconsistency but if he turns it on you'll have a top 6 forward and a pretty good one at that. If not... as with most of these kids, a bunch have skill, but it's oftentimes character and dedication that seperates them from the pack.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
I wrote a fairly lengthy analysis of CC's game and it's shortcomings. I have yet to recieve a response that even comes close to a reply of the same content, to be honest. All you guys have done so far is say "you're wrong" but you haven't given a shred of evidence or supported your statements with any kind of analysis.
Evidence? Do you think what you posted constitutes "evidence" of anything to any greater degree?

You got the reply you deserved, at least from me, because your "lengthy analysis" is so completely out to lunch it doesn't merit anything more serious.

I don't know when you watched Colaiacovo play, but it can't have been recently. Dumb game? Lacks hockey sense? Lacks character? 2nd rate prospect? Where are you getting this crap from buddy?

You claim to have watched him play, but I really can't believe that based on your opinions.

I could really care less if you like Carlo or not, but posting flat-out lies about players is going to result in you getting called on it.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
He's watched him play and has stated his opinions. No one in this thread has proved him wrong, they have only called him names.

The evidence he is asking for is stats or factualy posts. Not a pissing match.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:49 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Evidence? Do you think what you posted constitutes "evidence" of anything to any greater degree?

You got the reply you deserved, at least from me, because your "lengthy analysis" is so completely out to lunch it doesn't merit anything more serious.

I don't know when you watched Colaiacovo play, but it can't have been recently. Dumb game? Lacks hockey sense? Lacks character? 2nd rate prospect? Where are you getting this crap from buddy?

You claim to have watched him play, but I really can't believe that based on your opinions.

I could really care less if you like Carlo or not, but posting flat-out lies about players is going to result in you getting called on it.
I agree here, his "opinion" is so far off from what we've seen from Colaiacovo that it can be considered "made up". I think most people who saw the guy play just this past weekend will tell you he's not a 2nd rate prospect.

I can post that I think Dion Phaneuf will never be a top 4 player in the league because he lacks size, strength, and is shy when it comes to physical play... and then say it's JUST MY OPINION, but I'm going to get called on it and ridiculed because I was either making it up or mistook Phaneuf for another player throughout the games.

Even though all that is false, I don't think Phaneuf is weak, small, or shy.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:50 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese

that's hilarious. there's not a single falsehood in any of my posts. I've watched him play numerous times this year, I've made a fairly lengthy analysis of his strengths and weaknesses as a player as I see them. Really no possibility for any 'lies' to be there, anyway, as I've repeatedly stated these are just my opinions. I've seen him play, I've given my opinion. For you to call me a liar really makes you an obnoxious punk from my vantage point. But that's off topic. If you don't care for my opinions, don't reply. You're certainly in no position to call me a liar, though, buddy.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:53 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I agree here, his "opinion" is so far off from what we've seen from Colaiacovo that it can be considered "made up". I think most people who saw the guy play just this past weekend will tell you he's not a 2nd rate prospect.

I can post that I think Dion Phaneuf will never be a top 4 player in the league because he lacks size, strength, and is shy when it comes to physical play... and then say it's JUST MY OPINION, but I'm going to get called on it and ridiculed because I was either making it up or mistook Phaneuf for another player throughout the games.

Even though all that is false, I don't think Phaneuf is weak, small, or shy.

by the way I did NOT see him play this past weekend. I haven't seen him in over a week at this point. He may have started slow, but that would just prove my point about his play. I've never denied that you can see the talent level, just that he was making bad decisions and blowing coverage. If that's changed in the last week, great... again, doesn't refute a SINGLE THING I've said about the guy. Although if he were *my* teams 'top prospect' I'd still not be thrilled. Maybe that's the part that upsets you the most.

Closed Thread