HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Random Thoughts on some AHL level prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2004, 07:35 PM
bruins4777*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
if we are talking about defensive prospects then we might as well include Denis Grebeshkov he doesnt score as much as Kronwall but is as solid defensivly as there is in the AHL.
Listen to this guy, i can't believe nobody's brough this guy up. He's outstanding. His offense is coming along he has definite potential offensively.

Old
12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
The starter of this thread mentioned that he's only seen Western Conference teams.

Old
12-02-2004, 07:37 PM
rowall

Send a message via MSN to rowall
He was just inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame. You call yourself a hockey fan? I'm not a fan of basketball but I sure as hell know of Micheal Jordens accomplishments.

Old
12-02-2004, 07:44 PM
rowall

Paul Coffee!!!!!!

Quote:
who the hell is Paul Coffee?
He was just inducted to the Hall of Fame. What have you been smokin'?

Old
12-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
By the time Colaiacovo is that age the AHL will be a distant memory.
Yeah, by that time he'll be an assistant manager at Burger King and will have long forgotten about the AHL.

Old
12-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowall
I think you mean Paul Coffey.

Old
12-02-2004, 08:21 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
I think you mean Paul Coffey.
Hmmm....you mean not the guy related to Carlo Cappucinovo? Crap...gotta run...time for a latte!

Old
12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Yeah, by that time he'll be an assistant manager at Burger King and will have long forgotten about the AHL.
No, you'll have a different boss.

Old
12-02-2004, 09:38 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habdul
Hmmm....you mean not the guy related to Carlo Cappucinovo? Crap...gotta run...time for a latte!
lol, funny

Old
12-02-2004, 09:44 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusBennet
Jay Bouwmeester - I have not been impressed w/Jay in the 4 or 5 SA games I've seen so far. Again, you can see truly high end talent there. He's a great skater (Coffey was better, though) and his size is, well, he's just plain huge. Pronger big. But he really does not use his size effectively and still makes bad reads on defense. I watched a young Chris Pronger come into the league and develop and the one thing about Pronger is you could tell he was just plain nasty to play against, even if he blew coverage. He hurt people, mostly with his stick, but he still was nasty to play against. I don't see that in Jay. He lacks the instinct to hurt his opponents the way Pronger does. Also I'm not sure Jay has the same composure that Pronger displays, which is what sets Chris apart, that and his amazing outlet passes and great defensize zone coverage. Jay will learn the defensize zone assignments in due time but I don't think he'll ever have that nasty edge that makes opposing players fear him and therefore takes him to the next level. Offensively he's still developing although the tools are there. He could make decisions a bit quicker on the power play and move the puck a bit better, IMO, which is perhaps one of the reasons SA has had such a hard time scoring goals.
San Antonio sucks cause no one wants to play there. Horton doesn't have a strong desire to perform well there and I'm very disgusted with JBO's attitude down in SA. He thinks he's too good for the AHL, which may be true, but at least show it in the AHL instead of just sulking.

He doesn't have that aggressive edge, and I don't think he ever will. It's sad, because he could be one of the best dmen in history if he used his size. I know several players who didn't naturally have that aggresive edge, despite having everything else, and they never ever got it.

Horton just got back from a major injury. So did Weiss. Kolnik should be producing more. Globke has sucked with like no points usually. Sad situation in SA. I think they should fire Ludzik and bring in an offensive oriented coach.

Old
12-03-2004, 12:51 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowall
Paul Coffey was inducted into the HOF. Now Paul Coffee, i really have no idea who he is. man some of you really need to lighten up, lol.

Old
12-03-2004, 10:39 AM
rowall

Your right!

Quote:
Paul Coffey was inducted into the HOF. Now Paul Coffee, i really have no idea who he is. man some of you really need to lighten up, lol.
Sorry I didn't pay attention to the mispelling of his name. Not to many guys that ever played that had names that sounded like a beverage. Although I played junior with a guy named Miller. We used to call him "high life". I also coached Coffey as a Junior in Toronto. So pardon me if I sounded a little heavy. I have a lot of admiration for his accomplishments.

Old
12-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Pulfy14

The Bad:

Carlo Colaiacovo - sorry, Leafs fans, I just don't get the hype... he plays a dumb game, IMO. I've seen him on several occasions and have watched him very closely and if I were his coach, I'd have slapped him silly (or would have wanted to) on many occasions. He either plays it lazy or flat out stupid. He makes boneheaded reads, bad passes, pulls up in pursuit of the puck and in general displays the upside of a 2nd rate prospect. I can see the natural skills: he's a solid skater, nice size, good shot, can make the nice pass on occasion. He taunts with that package of skills and he's young so maybe he'll put them all together, the talent level is high although not nearly the elite level (Kronwall-level) of some of his peers. He could turn into a very solid top 4 or he could just as easilly become a guy who floats from team to team, never putting it together or simply lacking the character or hockey sense to be a top end player at the NHL level. We'll see. I'll put it to you this way, if he were my teams top prospect, I'd not be thrilled.

Jay Bouwmeester - I have not been impressed w/Jay in the 4 or 5 SA games I've seen so far. Again, you can see truly high end talent there. He's a great skater (Coffey was better, though) and his size is, well, he's just plain huge. Pronger big. But he really does not use his size effectively and still makes bad reads on defense. I watched a young Chris Pronger come into the league and develop and the one thing about Pronger is you could tell he was just plain nasty to play against, even if he blew coverage. He hurt people, mostly with his stick, but he still was nasty to play against. I don't see that in Jay. He lacks the instinct to hurt his opponents the way Pronger does. Also I'm not sure Jay has the same composure that Pronger displays, which is what sets Chris apart, that and his amazing outlet passes and great defensize zone coverage. Jay will learn the defensize zone assignments in due time but I don't think he'll ever have that nasty edge that makes opposing players fear him and therefore takes him to the next level. Offensively he's still developing although the tools are there. He could make decisions a bit quicker on the power play and move the puck a bit better, IMO, which is perhaps one of the reasons SA has had such a hard time scoring goals.

I was going to talk about Wellwood, Kevin Klein, Nathan Robinson (intriguing prospect) Stephan Weiss and Shishkanov but I'll save that for another post.

In summation, the best TEAM I've seen so far has pretty much been Milwaukee. Grand Rapids has some skilled players and they're fun to watch but they're really small and easilly pushed around. Chicago is mediocre in every way execept with Lehtonen in net. I expected signifigantly more from SA than I've seen, too.[/QUOTE]

i really like these 2 dession but i agree with the rest

Old
12-03-2004, 05:14 PM
gangstajerome

milwaukee admirals/ predators

I was just wondering what everybody thinks about Scotty Upshalls shots of getting called up when/if the NHL starts up again.

Also, what does everyone think about Jordin Too Toos future?

Old
12-06-2004, 03:19 AM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangstajerome
I was just wondering what everybody thinks about Scotty Upshalls shots of getting called up when/if the NHL starts up again.

Also, what does everyone think about Jordin Too Toos future?

are you kidding? Upshall is a LOCK to play at the NHL level if/when that league ever resumes. Tootoo is a comedy act, IMO. He isn't fit to be at the NHL. He makes Tyson Nash look like Wayne Gretzky. If he wasn't an Inuit and the novelty wasn't there he'd have never set foot in the NHL. He's terribly gutless and brings nothing at all to the ice. And yes, I've seen him play a LOT.

Old
12-06-2004, 10:01 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
are you kidding? Upshall is a LOCK to play at the NHL level if/when that league ever resumes. Tootoo is a comedy act, IMO. He isn't fit to be at the NHL. He makes Tyson Nash look like Wayne Gretzky. If he wasn't an Inuit and the novelty wasn't there he'd have never set foot in the NHL. He's terribly gutless and brings nothing at all to the ice. And yes, I've seen him play a LOT.
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

An organization in Nashville playing a Native Canadian because of where he's from?

As if the fans in Tennessee have a sentimental attachment to a 21 year old kid from Nunavut.

Old
12-06-2004, 11:50 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix

An organization in Nashville playing a Native Canadian because of where he's from?

As if the fans in Tennessee have a sentimental attachment to a 21 year old kid from Nunavut.

As for Upshall...I wouldn't call him a "lock," and actually he's far from it. He plays in the stacked RW position, and while he's had a good season this year, the coaches feel that he needs to get a little stronger before he's ready. I think of all Milwaukee players, Simon Gamache has made the strongest case for himself. He's becoming practically unstoppable, especially in the clutch. Shishkanov and Pivko are two that make a strong case for themself as well...and once McKenzie is gone, I'd love to see Yablonski in Nashville as our enforcer. The guy has yet to lose a fight,and has won almost every fight decisively.

Last edited by ratsgirl: 12-06-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old
12-06-2004, 12:05 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule
San Antonio sucks cause no one wants to play there. Horton doesn't have a strong desire to perform well there and I'm very disgusted with JBO's attitude down in SA. He thinks he's too good for the AHL, which may be true, but at least show it in the AHL instead of just sulking.

He doesn't have that aggressive edge, and I don't think he ever will. It's sad, because he could be one of the best dmen in history if he used his size. I know several players who didn't naturally have that aggresive edge, despite having everything else, and they never ever got it.

Horton just got back from a major injury. So did Weiss. Kolnik should be producing more. Globke has sucked with like no points usually. Sad situation in SA. I think they should fire Ludzik and bring in an offensive oriented coach.
Remember Globke is getting his first taste of pro hockey. I know very little of Globke but you got to give him a chance. It doesn't help when you are playing on a team who is very defensive. Why are SA defensive anyways. They have high quality offensive d-men, good core of talented fowards and yet they seem to have low scoring games. They also suck at shootouts. Must be real frustrating for them.
And CC isn't a top prospect. No more than a solid d-man.

Old
12-06-2004, 12:27 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:

awww, you're just upset because I railed on your top prospect. You need a pretty serious attitude adjustment, kid.

Old
12-06-2004, 12:42 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

I'll only say this once, and it applies to everyone:

:playnice:

Old
12-06-2004, 12:50 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl
I'll only say this once, and it applies to everyone:

:playnice:
thanks for removing the personal attack directed at me in a post in this thread. I appreciate it. I hope the poster has been informed of his violation of the boards policies. I see they're a mod, too. Nice.

Old
12-06-2004, 12:53 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
As for Upshall...I wouldn't call him a "lock," and actually he's far from it. He plays in the stacked RW position, and while he's had a good season this year, the coaches feel that he needs to get a little stronger before he's ready. I think of all Milwaukee players, Simon Gamache has made the strongest case for himself. He's becoming practically unstoppable, especially in the clutch. Shishkanov and Pivko are two that make a strong case for themself as well...and once McKenzie is gone, I'd love to see Yablonski in Nashville as our enforcer. The guy has yet to lose a fight,and has won almost every fight decisively.
Simon Gamanche is not going to amount to anything at the NHL level. I'd venture a guess I've seen him play a LOT more than you have and he's simply way too small, plays a tiny, tiny game and doesn't have such a high end set of skills that it will overcome his massive shortcomings. I've seen a dozen of Simon Gamanche's during my 30 years of watching hockey. Upshall will play at the NHL level, SG simply won't. At least not for very long and not with any level of production unless he gets a ton of pp time on a weak team. At least he's in the right organization for him to at least make it to the NHL, right?

Old
12-06-2004, 12:55 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
awww, you're just upset because I railed on your top prospect. You need a pretty serious attitude adjustment, kid.
No, your comment was ignorant and stupid.

Nobody in Nashville, Tennessee is keeping Tootoo around because he's a Native Canadian, they're keeping him around because he can play the game and can play a role. Of all places in North America, you think people in Tennessee have a sentimental attachment to a Native kid? Check back on some American history... and look at the type of communities in and around Nashville, I'm not sure the Native community has a big say in the game of hockey.

Old
12-06-2004, 01:02 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
No, your comment was ignorant and stupid.

Nobody in Nashville, Tennessee is keeping Tootoo around because he's a Native Canadian, they're keeping him around because he can play the game and can play a role. Of all places in North America, you think people in Tennessee have a sentimental attachment to a Native kid? Check back on some American history... and look at the type of communities in and around Nashville, I'm not sure the Native community has a big say in the game of hockey.

okay, you're entitled to your opinon regarding my post. Fine. However, living in the states as I do and following hockey in all the cities where it is played you cannot have helped but notice that there was a GREAT DEAL OF MEDIA COVERAGE given in the us hockey markets to Tootoo's heritage and his status as the first to play in the NHL from his people. Yes, it was a big deal and yes in Nashville, where they do need to generate interest in the team and players it WAS PLAYED UP A GREAT DEAL.
As for Tootoo as a player, he's a talentless little puke who isn't fit to play at the NHL level. He's as classless as Darcy Tucker and has less skill. Hey, he'd make a perfect Maple Leaf now that I think of it. Maybe that's why you so ardently defend him.
Any other personal insults you feel you want to throw my way do so in private messages, not on the boards.

Old
12-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Get over yourself.

Closed Thread