HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Old
04-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Congo Jack
Get lost Pavarotti!

vCash: 500
The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

I thought this could be a way to vent/reflect on the season that has past

The Good: Radar and Landeskog proving to the league that we can and will compete for a playoff spot

The Bad: Nothing to look forward to this summer. With our pick gone and no playoffs, we'll be left with no Avs until June 23rd.

The Ugly: Duchene and SOBs end of the year. Duchene was injured and in a slump which trashed our expectations of him and SOB, while good at the start, was horrid in our last few games and will most likely be looking for a new team this summer.

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

The Good- Our goaltending situation is in good shape for the first time in 10 years.

The Bad- Our main offensive threats Duchene and Stastny had down years.

The Ugly- Our defense still needs work and we don't have too many quality pieces to fix it besides cap space.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
PAZ

The Good - RECsGuy has stopped posting.

The Bad - We had to deal with RECsGuy for half the year.

The Ugly - The Jerseys.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:32 PM
CunniJA

The Good:

- Goaltending is leaps and bounds better
- Defense holds its own and can usually win games provided a good enough offensive effort nowadays
- Penalty kill was fantastic for stretches, and greatly improved from recent years in general
- No trouble generating shots whatsoever
- Breakout years for O'Reilly and Landeskog
- Stellar year on faceoffs
- Shootout master team

The Bad:

- Can't seem to draw any penalties whatsoever (lowest number of PP chances for a team in one season in over 30 years, which is really too bad, because the PP% was 9th in the league)
- 42.2% win ratio when outshooting the opposition, 59.5% when getting outshot
- Shootouts not included in ROW

The Ugly:

- Shane O'Brien
- Matt Duchene being hurt basically all season
- Record against the Northwest
- Losing twice to Columbus at critical times
- Too many gingers and/or people of Irish/Scottish descent

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Avs71

The Good:
-Landeskog exceeding everyone's expectations
-O'Reilly proving that he is more than just a great checking center
-Varlamov rebounding after an ugly stretch to close out the season well
-Johnson's development over the course of the year.
-Mueller overcoming his injuries
-Deadline acquisitions McGinn & Downie, giving up next to nothing
-The year 2011 being over for Stastny
-Giguere showing he has some left in the thank
-The PK improvement

The Bad
-Not having a player hit 60 points or 30 goals
-All the young guys missing out on playoff experience
-Potential off-season surgeries for Downie/Duchene/Johnson
-Hejduk's 20 goal season streak is over
-Duchene's year
-Elliott's play

The Ugly
-The "Duchene is a bust talk" that will continue all summer
--->The reaction to the first fish Duchene tweets
-Hejduk most likely retiring after a disappointing year
-6 months of Stastny trade proposals.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Mr Green

The Good:

-O'Reilly and Landeskog
-Our Goalkeeping down the stretch
-Clint Eastwood

The Bad:

-Our NW division record
-O'Brien and his penalties
-Lee Van Cleef

The Ugly

-Duchene's injuries
-Our play in the last two games
-Eli Wallach

Mr Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:19 PM
shadow1

The good: The Avalanche played defense this year
The bad: They sacrificed a lot of offense for defense
The ugly: There are enough unknowns on the team that I could easily see them being terrible next year

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

The Good - THE SPEED AND THE YOUTH AND THE GRIT
The Bad - THE INEXPERIENCED YOUTH
The Ugly - KNOWING THE DEFENSE IS PROBABLY GOING TO STRUGGLE ANOTHER YEAR

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:50 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

I don't get the Kobasew hate. He was a great bottom 6-er and provided a lot of physical play and energy.

Back when we had zero winger depth, he definitely struggled in the top 6.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Razor29
0-0-0

vCash: 50
The Good:

Beer on the patio season begins.

The Bad:

Hockey season is over.

The Ugly:

The random girls I will probably wake up to after having too many beers on the patio.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
freeboy

I think the team flipped from a terrible special teams team to a good one and from a good 5-5 team to a really poor pne.. we just needed more killer offense, the offense that get a point or two and wants to go to ten points .. the mindset is what I hated this year.. lets just coast allong wioth these two point leads etc....
I dissagree about the goalteadning, as posted, look at the goalies we lost, Theodor, Eliot and Anderson all doing well, it was always a D problem....
So, thats much better... seems we need some team offense... can anyone spell Weber> Suter? Pronger or many many other big powersful two way d men as assets ew should look at... the minors are great for the long term, but in the what we need now catagory I do not see anything coming up from minors NEXT year to help the D be a better attacking corps! my 25cents worth...
Go Avs...

freeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

vCash: 50
im just gonna say the avs proved alot of ppl wrong. cant wait till next season with a better duchene and ect.

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Good:

- Landeskog, McClement, O'Reilly, McGinn, Downie. This 'new-look' offense is fantastic... I've always loved the hard-working players, and while I find grinding systems pretty boring, players who can bring an offensive edge while being fantastic on the forecheck, making the other team work hard and keep their heads up... that's good hockey.
- Greg Sherman. The unassuming accountant who has basically not made a bad trade yet... lots of criticism around his ballsy moves last year and this offseason, but I don't think you'll find many on this board who still doubt his ability to manage this team.
- EJ/Varly... the big pieces from the 2 big trades. I hope to God they lock EJ up for 5 years this offseason, he's shown flashes of brilliance since he first got here but he's only getting more consistent, and the harsh words he's gotten on these boards will make it all the sweeter when suddenly we're getting stupid trade proposals for him every 2 days. As for Varly... who's left that doesn't get that we have our best goalie since Roy?
- The penalty kill! Holy fk, we HAVE to have been top 10 after the ASG, even if it wasn't reflected in the overall numbers... I've never felt so confident watching the Avs PK as I did second half this year. You can chalk that up to good point #1, I suppose.

The Bad:

Duchene... is the obvious choice. Tough season. Injuries, early season line juggling, playing out of position to fill a hole in our top-6, lack of confidence as a result of all those factors. All I'll say is that those who are talking about trading him are disgracefully short-sighted... this kid is a talent. He'll bounce back and in a big way.

Shano: To his credit, he played pretty well for the first 3/4 of the year, particularly after finding his role in the team (3/4D, not Bobby Orr incarnate), but it fell apart in the end of the year. Seriously I think there was a point where in 6 or 7 games it must have been only Shane and Mark Olver getting ANY penalties... and even then I'm willing to cut Olver some slack because that's a part of his game, which helps us more than hurts us. O'Brien down the stretch... not so much. I'd like to see him brought back if we can somehow relegate him to the 3rd pairing, but with as many great D-prospects as we have, he might get a short contract at best.

The Ugly: Seeing all the "season over" posts after every goal against for the last 15 games... we need to have some G.D. faith in this team boys (and girl)! Living in Edmonton, I can reeeally appreciate a team that finished in 29th last year nearly making the playoffs. Look at the standings, we WON more games than LA! If Duchene has a bounce-back season that isn't offset by a massive sophomore slump for Lando, we'll be in the playoffs next year, don't even worry. Not calling anyone out or accusing anyone of being a bad fan, I guess I'm just a little more optimistic than some on here.

The Real Ugly: I'm likely going to be playing guitar on a cruise ship next year during October-March/April, and in a timezone that will make it damn near impossible to follow the Avalanche as closely as this season... looks like a year of highlights and following these forums to get any idea of what's going on with the team

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:14 PM
AVSfan2daMAX

Good: this team isn't very far at all. This is one of the best young cores in the league. They finally have a legit top end defenseman, a star goalie in the making in Varlamov and depth down the middle most teams are envious of. Add in the tremendous season by Landeskog and this team is giving me lots to be excited about.

Bad: This team is still very young and need to learn some things. They have a bunch of kids playing a man's game. Their defense is far improved from last year, but they still stand to improve quite a bit.

Ugly: The irrational reactions from fans concerning certain players.

AVSfan2daMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

The good:
- Ryan O'Reilly showing leadership and a breakout season. Our hardest working player outside of...
- Landeskog: Great draft pick and cornerstone player for the franchise. He showed us he is the real deal.
- EJ got stronger and stronger as the season went along. Also believe he is our future captain. Next season will be huge for him.
- McClement: solid overall season. Best defensive forward/Pker on this team since Yelle's prime days.
- Trades: Varly, Downie, and McGinn all look like very solid moves by Sherman.

The bad:
- Staz not kicking it into high gear until we were on life support. He's got to put a full season together, especially for how much more he makes than everyone else on the roster.
- Duchene had a bad season. He obviously played injured down the stretch so let's hope next season we see #9 play like we know he can.
- Inconsistant tendencies of a young hockey team.

The ugly:
- Our division record. This has to improve or we just won't make the playoffs. Imagine where the Avs stand if they had a decent divisional record? Playoffs, that's where.
- Defense: Yes, we got bigger on D. Problem is, we still lack another solid top 4 defenseman and we are relying on 5-6 type guys to play top minutes. Not a playoff calibre D.
- Cap floor Hug: Enough is enough... invest in this team.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote