HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fairy Tale Ending for Staubitz

Old
04-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
If I was the GM the first guy I would re-sign is this guy. It's a sign of respect for these guys who have a tough job and sacrifice their face for the team.

And he would be easy to sign. 600K 2-way 1 year, take it or leave it.
What's really important is that it seems that the guys playing on the team enjoy having him around. I suppose it's nice to have a BIG Brother watching your back.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:58 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Not against a team like Boston-Philly, gotta remember were in the East. That means you need to intimidate sometimes...well, sometimes. & that's a dozen important games right there!
i completely agree. but saying that staubitz is 'everything darche is and more' is, to put it nicely, false.

he is something else, a useful piece, one that we need, but different entirely. to be honest, i was surprised at how staubitz performed. i wish he was a better fighter though....

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i completely agree. but saying that staubitz is 'everything darche is and more' is, to put it nicely, false.

he is something else, a useful piece, one that we need, but different entirely. to be honest, i was surprised at how staubitz performed. i wish he was a better fighter though....
Nobody's saying the team couldn't carry both or both types. We are talking about the 4th line & you mix and match vs opponents. We can carry 23 men & play 21 under this CBA.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:19 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Nobody's saying the team couldn't carry both or both types. We are talking about the 4th line & you mix and match vs opponents. We can carry 23 men & play 21 under this CBA.
i agree with everything you said and the team should carry both types... for all his shortcomings, darche has the ability to be moved up the lineup (injuries et cetera) that guys like staubitz don't have.

not sure what were arguing about now

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i agree with everything you said and the team should carry both types... for all his shortcomings, darche has the ability to be moved up the lineup (injuries et cetera) that guys like staubitz don't have.

not sure what were arguing about now
No argue, just think that in the East the Tough guy is more important & that perhaps the Darche type should be someone better & younger in our system. But if we stayed pat we could keep both. The 2 would be at Minimum, so it's easy.

Old
04-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Adamcrazy3

Staubitz > Darche anyday!

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

While I liked him, I think it is possible to do better. There has to be some people out there who still can play hockey and really confront the big boys of the league. And while I liked how he defended his teamates this year and it was great to see that, after this organization tried to explain how having players like that were not important, there's one thing I wished he'd do....confront Malone and pound the *******. But if we can't do better, of course bring him back. He wasn't a liability out there.

Other than that, he was a good addition and it was great to finally see that kind of toughness with the Habs. Took a long time for them to understand though...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Teufelsdreck

A nice sentimental story but the fact that his solitary goal was an empty netter tells us that the Habs, who can use secondary (or tertiary) scoring, should look elsewhere.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Good, likable, guy. Hope to never see him in a Habs jersey again. Just not close to NHL caliber.

If he's back, I think we should be worried about the next GM putting sentimentality ahead of winning.
I forget that he was the reason for oh so many goals against last season.

The man did his job like he had too when he was here. He took care and stood up to all the players that usually piss off our entire team for 60 min. He and White brought respect for the logo back, the era of turning the other cheek bullcrap is done. ALL good teams in the eastern conference are equipped to punish and defend, it's time we do the same. If we resign Staubitz, the only thing the Habs will lack physically is a big bruising defenseman. Hopefully either Tinordi is ready or we sign one of Allen/Carkner.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-09-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: merge
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
billy piton

staubitz is an awful player. i'd prefer someone who can play hockey.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:35 AM
sampollock

why would not the boys like him, finally a gent that can take care of business, stops guys like clutterbug, and orr, and guys from being knobs at the bell centre.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Marchy79

I like him and do hope he's back for next year, to fill in the # 13 forward position.
He's a great fill in for teams that want to intimidate us... and is a decent fighter... When his piston arm starts going... man, look out!

He's got some fighting skill, and IMO is a good addition to the team.
I for one am very happy he got the chance to pop the final goal of the season...

The guys respect him, and IMO he is a tough customer... He makes this team stronger IMO...

A mix of him and Darche would be fine by me... Darche has the PK skills, as well as the scoring ability to play, and is of an age where I am not sorry to leave him in the press box to let 'Stubby' play some.

Starting the year next season... 4th line LW between those 2 guys is not a bad thing.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I wouldn't mind seeing him back, if nothing else, to see Mathman turn blue in the face.

Seriously though, he's played his role to perfection. Yes, it would be nice to have a bigger guy than him but he's willing and capable of doing the job required on him.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
I like him and do hope he's back for next year, to fill in the # 13 forward position.
He's a great fill in for teams that want to intimidate us... and is a decent fighter... When his piston arm starts going... man, look out!

He's got some fighting skill, and IMO is a good addition to the team.
I for one am very happy he got the chance to pop the final goal of the season...

The guys respect him, and IMO he is a tough customer... He makes this team stronger IMO...

A mix of him and Darche would be fine by me... Darche has the PK skills, as well as the scoring ability to play, and is of an age where I am not sorry to leave him in the press box to let 'Stubby' play some.

Starting the year next season... 4th line LW between those 2 guys is not a bad thing.
That's right. i would re-sign them both,too.

Next GM must find a reliable 4th line centreman, or asked White or Dumont to practice their face offs' skills.

Blunden, Geoffrion or Moen can complete this 4th line.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I dunno, it feels a bit deja vu. We had guys like Vukota, or Odjick, Jim Cummins, Todd Ewen, I don't know, the ultimate Darren Langdon even... and while they become beloved at first, don't we always just end up realizing... well... they suck? I mean, some cool guys, by no means very many repetitions of the Laraque bust in there, and varying degrees of middle-heavy weightness, and full credit to them for being awesome players to get to the NHL and put their face on the line and all that.

But did any of them really help us win? Really? Or just make us feel a bit better in the midst of our losing?

I liked Staubitz too. I can't help feeling like we'll be better off having better players filling up our roster, though. Not that at that level of the roster it's likely to make or break us either way.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:48 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I dunno, it feels a bit deja vu. We had guys like Vukota, or Odjick, Jim Cummins, Todd Ewen, I don't know, the ultimate Darren Langdon even... and while they become beloved at first, don't we always just end up realizing... well... they suck? I mean, some cool guys, by no means very many repetitions of the Laraque bust in there, and varying degrees of middle-heavy weightness, and full credit to them for being awesome players to get to the NHL and put their face on the line and all that.

But did any of them really help us win? Really? Or just make us feel a bit better in the midst of our losing?

I liked Staubitz too. I can't help feeling like we'll be better off having better players filling up our roster, though. Not that at that level of the roster it's likely to make or break us either way.
Its a long season...........

1993 MONTREAL CANADIENS: Jesse Belanger, Brian Bellows, Patrice Brisebois, Benoit Brunet, Guy Carbonneau, JJ Daigneault, Vincent Damphousse, Eric Desjardins, Gilbert Dionne, Paul DiPietro, Donald Dufresne, Todd Ewen, Kevin Haller, Sean Hill, Mike Keane, Stephan Lebeau, John LeClair, Gary Leeman, Kirk Muller, Lyle Odelein, Oleg Petrov, Andre Racicot, Rob Ramage, Mario Roberge, Ed Ronan, Patrick Roy, Denis Savard, Mathieu Schneider. (Head Coach: Jacques Demers)

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:27 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Its a long season...........

1993 MONTREAL CANADIENS: Jesse Belanger, Brian Bellows, Patrice Brisebois, Benoit Brunet, Guy Carbonneau, JJ Daigneault, Vincent Damphousse, Eric Desjardins, Gilbert Dionne, Paul DiPietro, Donald Dufresne, Todd Ewen, Kevin Haller, Sean Hill, Mike Keane, Stephan Lebeau, John LeClair, Gary Leeman, Kirk Muller, Lyle Odelein, Oleg Petrov, Andre Racicot, Rob Ramage, Mario Roberge, Ed Ronan, Patrick Roy, Denis Savard, Mathieu Schneider. (Head Coach: Jacques Demers)
Of course Todd Ewen played a grand total of one playoff game that season.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:42 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

God I hate Dave Stubbs.

He hasn't written a proper word about the former GM of the Canadiens, a man - who for better or worse - spent nine years in the organization , but instead chooses to write over-wrought pieces about scrubs.

Don't get me wrong, I like Staubitz and would prefer to keep him in the organization but I don't care about him over an objective profile of such a divisive figure like Gauthier. The man that Stubbs, Hickey and Boone's weasel-like weekly columns would hit at and they don't have the journalistic integrity to give him a proper article.

Quote:
There was general disappointment over the last-place finish in the Eastern Conference, a recognition by some players that they could have done better and a number of players who echoed Brian Gionta’s belief that there is the core of a winning team in the dressing room.

The new general manager will decide whether he agrees with Gionta’s assessment, but the captain is right. When healthy and motivated, this is a better team than the one that reached the Eastern Conference final in 2010 and the one that gave Boston its toughest test en route to the Stanley Cup a year ago.
That has nothing to do with Goat does it. Nope, he was the worst GM in hockey history.

The Gazette is just a piece of **** rag, so glad I cancelled my subscription.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:59 AM
OneSharpMarble

Staubitz was a good pick up, shame it has taken so god damn long before the talented guys had someone who could bring a bit of pain against the mouthiest teams out there. Staubitz brings back a little bit of the dignity that gainey gave away when he refused to build the team into anything with a spine.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:21 AM
uocooco

Staubitz is a perfect 13th forward;

he's in the top 10 of Hockey Fights dot com, he protects our skilled players, he commands respect from opposing team, our players play bigger because of him, he's a good mentor for White, great in the locker room, ...

Every team needs a player like him to get through the regular season.

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

One thing about Staubitz he never hurt the team ,and knows the role and does it well.

For sure i bring him back, anyone saying we shouldn't has a undiagnosed concussion .

The fact all the team loves the guy ,that alone is worth it ,
a great locker room guy .

You need that , and again he doesn't hurt our 4th line no way .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:29 AM
charlie

Another good move by PG.
Hope the next GM keeps him.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:57 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

I think you are right. But I feel like searching for a Lucic-Neal-Kassian type is probably one of the harder mission out there, probably the most elusive. They are so rare. That's why for the right price, keeping Staubitz as the 13th forward and playing him when it's needed doesn't bother me too much. I would like our power play to come back to it's glory days so we punish teams in the best way possible anyway.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
God I hate Dave Stubbs.

He hasn't written a proper word about the former GM of the Canadiens, a man - who for better or worse - spent nine years in the organization , but instead chooses to write over-wrought pieces about scrubs.

Don't get me wrong, I like Staubitz and would prefer to keep him in the organization but I don't care about him over an objective profile of such a divisive figure like Gauthier. The man that Stubbs, Hickey and Boone's weasel-like weekly columns would hit at and they don't have the journalistic integrity to give him a proper article.

That has nothing to do with Goat does it. Nope, he was the worst GM in hockey history.

The Gazette is just a piece of **** rag, so glad I cancelled my subscription.
I personally love Stubbs. He's intelligent, funny and knows what he's doing out there. I have a feeling that you don't like him because his beliefs might go against yours too often. It happens. It doesn't make him wrong or bad for that reason though.

I've been disappointed by Hickey in the last couple of years especially. Not because of him particularly, but by the topics he chooses and the delivery.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
SeriousHabs

There has to be a fighter out there that can also play some kind of hockey. For example, we could try to land a fighter that is able to make or receive a pass. If we can't find that player, then Staubitz can resign here I guess.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote