HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To Bourque or not to Bourque

Old
04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The Montreal Canadiens, the place where teams can dump their crap. Not sure why we couldn't just listen to Kelly Hrudey.

All we can do now is pray that Timmins can do something with that 2nd. Even if he does though, this is STILL a dumb trade.
Since when is Hrudey a great hockey mind?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:15 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
To a fanbase that wants Roy & Mcguire in charge Hrudey is hockeys version of Einstein.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
38 games reguardless of circumstances is definitly enough to write a player off forever. Hell Plekanec had a bad season, shame we didn't dump him like a hot bag of crap.
I totally wrote Plekanec off too. Mind you, his bad season wasn't remotely close to Bourque's.
Quote:
Funny how in one breathe you will whine about Bourque being bad for 38 games and how we should move him but in the next breathe whine about how we moved players like Latendresse, Higgins, SKost, AKost etc too soon.
I'm not sure I'm whining about Bourque being bad for 38 games. Just pointing out the obvious, which we all observed. And then proposing how I'd react to it if I was in the GM seat (and if any other GM in the league would accommodate me). I'm not even really "whining" about the trade, since I'm ok with Holland and a 2nd for Cammalleri.

Not sure what makes you think I am all that perturbed about all those other trades? I think I would have kept Latendresse, certainly not traded him for Pouliot anyway. Higgins was done, although everybody hated the Gomez trade regardless of Higgins' presence in it or not. SKost was kind of a shame all around, but a move there had become inevitable and not particularly whine-worthy. AKost was a good trade IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
So having Cammalleri here grabbing his ass and sooking while taking 6 mil of cap space would be better?
Actually... yes. I would think that's fairly obvious but...
Quote:
Sure Bourque sucked ass after he got here but it didn't help that him and Plekanec basically had nobody to play with and had to play against all the top lines.
Bourque sucked ass because of Bourque. Not because of Plekanec or anyone else. The guy was invisible except that he was -10000 for us. That's pretty much the only thing that sticks out about him.
Quote:
Before giving away a 25+ goal scorer with a good cap hit I think the smart move would be to get a new coach, give him a RW and a kick in the pants and see what he does. Not sure what this obsession is with getting rid of everybody. Yes we need changes but SMART ones not just changes for the sake of change.
All that is beside the point.
Quote:
I don't think you have to be a great hockey mind to know that Bourque sucked and Calgary couldn't wait to get rid of him. Everyone else on the panel agreed. I'm just surprised they spent so much time pointing out the obvious. And the only reason they did was because of his total lack of effort.

Hrudey is a former player. And he was pissed off to see how this guy couldn't have cared less. He got his money and now it doesn't matter how he plays...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I totally wrote Plekanec off too. Mind you, his bad season wasn't remotely close to Bourque's.

I'm not sure I'm whining about Bourque being bad for 38 games. Just pointing out the obvious, which we all observed. And then proposing how I'd react to it if I was in the GM seat (and if any other GM in the league would accommodate me). I'm not even really "whining" about the trade, since I'm ok with Holland and a 2nd for Cammalleri.

Not sure what makes you think I am all that perturbed about all those other trades? I think I would have kept Latendresse, certainly not traded him for Pouliot anyway. Higgins was done, although everybody hated the Gomez trade regardless of Higgins' presence in it or not. SKost was kind of a shame all around, but a move there had become inevitable and not particularly whine-worthy. AKost was a good trade IMHO.
Akost was a good trade? What?

Come on man, don't let me down like this. Usually I like reading your posts.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

Seems like it was the best they were going to get. I'm ok with AKost in general (he's a lot better than Bourque! )... but he was also an impending UFA and I don't think he fits the "warrior upgrades" we could stand to make either. It would be nice to think our GM could have found a better return, but it's fair also to think that there just wasn't *that* much interest, and what he got was simply the most that the market had to offer. Sure, if the Habs had obtained a 1st for him, I'd have been really happy and called it a great trade or something. But it was good enough.

The key now, however, is that the new GM has to find a way to get the necessary calibre of replacement player. For AKost. He's going to be a bit harder to replace than a departed Bourquian non-entity would be.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Seems like it was the best they were going to get. I'm ok with AKost in general (he's a lot better than Bourque! )... but he was also an impending UFA and I don't think he fits the "warrior upgrades" we could stand to make either. It would be nice to think our GM could have found a better return, but it's fair also to think that there just wasn't *that* much interest, and what he got was simply the most that the market had to offer. Sure, if the Habs had obtained a 1st for him, I'd have been really happy and called it a great trade or something. But it was good enough.

The key now, however, is that the new GM has to find a way to get the necessary calibre of replacement player. For AKost. He's going to be a bit harder to replace than a departed Bourquian non-entity would be.
Why not just keep AK? We've got holes on the wings now and he's 27 or 28 years old. Not great but certainly good enough for the 2nd line.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafleurs guy View Post
why not just keep ak? We've got holes on the wings now and he's 27 or 28 years old. Not great but certainly good enough for the 2nd line.
Unrestricted free agent.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Unrestricted free agent.
Who came out months earlier asking for an extension.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

Quote:
Asking for an extension certainly killed his trade value. Other teams knew there would be new management in Montreal soon enough and that was where he wanted to play.

I hope he returns in the off-season.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Just wondering....is that discussion still on? Isn't it clear that, okay we hated him this year, but he's not going anywhere because of his contract and awful performance, so we'd hope he gets it going with a new coach and be on a tight leash?

Thought that was obvious...unless it went in a total different direction I'm not aware of....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
lol, I didn't know there were still people who believed what players say in interviews.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just wondering....is that discussion still on? Isn't it clear that, okay we hated him this year, but he's not going anywhere because of his contract and awful performance, so we'd hope he gets it going with a new coach and be on a tight leash?

Thought that was obvious...unless it went in a total different direction I'm not aware of....
"... Isn't it clear that, okay we hated him this year, but he's not going anywhere because of his contract and awful performance..."

No.

No way.

I am not willing to throw the towel (or label him as awful) after 38 games (especially with the Cunneyworth effect)... particularly if you factor in the fact that, during some of those games alongside Plekanec and Darche, he provided us with a very solid shutdown line. Did you miss it?

---------------
Am I the only one in here who noticed how good, defensively, the Bourque - Plekanec - Darche line was?
---------------

Plus, contrarily to Blind Gardien ("... But he showed no sign whatsoever that he's capable of repeating it..." – the guy is 30... not 43!) and Ohashi_Jouzu ("... Some good bounces playing with good players in roles that he hasn't earned here yet..."... good bounces... two seaons in a row!), I am not willing to completely dismiss - just before joining us - two back to back 27 goals seasons . Bourque scored 18 goals in 2011-12.

Imo Bourque (I was saying the same thing about Andrei Kostitsyn btw) is worth the effort. He is the incarnation of "secondary scoring". Plus he is able to assume D duties.

2012-13:

3. Moen – Eller – Bourque...

PS back to VAN vs LA! Good game.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 04-16-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:03 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

I still can't understand why some people here are so worked up about the AK trade. He gonna be UFA for crying out loud. And if he really wants to play here, he can sign with Montreal this summer.

It's just mindblogging why we are whining about it still.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Bourque sucked ass because of Bourque. Not because of Plekanec or anyone else. The guy was invisible except that he was -10000 for us. That's pretty much the only thing that sticks out about him.

I don't think you have to be a great hockey mind to know that Bourque sucked and Calgary couldn't wait to get rid of him. Everyone else on the panel agreed. I'm just surprised they spent so much time pointing out the obvious. And the only reason they did was because of his total lack of effort.

Hrudey is a former player. And he was pissed off to see how this guy couldn't have cared less. He got his money and now it doesn't matter how he plays...

Obviously he didn't suck ass the 3 years before when he was scoring 75 goals in 211 games.

Basing player evaluations on a small sample(less than half a season) in a bad situation is a stupid way to base your roster moves.

For whatever reason Bourque this season wasn't the same player he was the 3 years before. Instead of just getting rid of him so we can read 548 threads on here on how the Habs gave away another player having success elswhere, let's hire a good coach and see what effect that has on Bourque. I'd also challenge him by adding another top 6 winger.

The problem with the AK trade is they should have showcased him the 2-3 weeks before insrtead of burying him on the 4th line with Gomez.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Since when were we prohibited from re-hashing the obvious? It's like Week 2 into the long summer of our discontent. The re-hashing has barely begun!

Old
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Funny that people are not ready to throw the towel on Bourque after his 38 games 8pts and -16 rating and are all ready to give up on Gomez's 38 games 11 pts and -9 rating.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
mikelong11

IMO, it's hilarious that there's an 8 page thread dedicated to debating whether Bourque sucks or not. The fact that most can't even make a solid point that he's better than AK46 - combined with his salary and term - says everything.

He's terrible. Whoopdeedoo, he scored near 20 goals. Funny how when saying that people ignore his 6 assists this year. 6! Think about that. He had 6 assists in 76 games averaging near 18 minutes a game. It's mind blowing. How is it even possible to only have 6 assists with that ice time and games played? Because he's the most useless and selfish player I've ever watched in my life. I'd take Scott Gomez at the same salary every day of the week.

Complete bum.

/rant.

mikelong11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Obviously he didn't suck ass the 3 years before when he was scoring 75 goals in 211 games.
Not for all of it, but certainly for some of it. You didn't watch enough of the Flames over the past couple of years, you had no idea, and that's fine.

Quote:
Basing player evaluations on a small sample(less than half a season) in a bad situation is a stupid way to base your roster moves.
See the above. Frustrations with Bourque's compete level stretch back into last season with the Flames, despite what you infer from his goal totals. It's just that some of you only had 38 games to witness it for yourself.

Quote:
For whatever reason Bourque this season wasn't the same player he was the 3 years before. Instead of just getting rid of him so we can read 548 threads on here on how the Habs gave away another player having success elswhere, let's hire a good coach and see what effect that has on Bourque. I'd also challenge him by adding another top 6 winger.

The problem with the AK trade is they should have showcased him the 2-3 weeks before insrtead of burying him on the 4th line with Gomez.
I've outlined my suspicions as to why he's no longer the same player, and it has to do with frustration with injuries and suspensions from playing the type of physical game that used to open up space for him on occasion. Not motivated/physically involved enough -> no openings -> no scoring. "Simple" as that. And the results were even worse in the defensive zone, imo, where he contributed very little to making opponents work hard for space/shots.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Funny that people are not ready to throw the towel on Bourque after his 38 games 8pts and -16 rating and are all ready to give up on Gomez's 38 games 11 pts and -9 rating.
Not really surprising though as it shouldn't be. Bourque had back to back 27 goal seasons, then sucked, Gomez sucked last year and then was much worse this year at more then double the salary and cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelong11 View Post
IMO, it's hilarious that there's an 8 page thread dedicated to debating whether Bourque sucks or not. The fact that most can't even make a solid point that he's better than AK46 - combined with his salary and term - says everything.

He's terrible. Whoopdeedoo, he scored near 20 goals. Funny how when saying that people ignore his 6 assists this year. 6! Think about that. He had 6 assists in 76 games averaging near 18 minutes a game. It's mind blowing. How is it even possible to only have 6 assists with that ice time and games played? Because he's the most useless and selfish player I've ever watched in my life. I'd take Scott Gomez at the same salary every day of the week.

Complete bum.

/rant.
Scoring 20 goals is huge for the Habs though, as they seem unable to find consistent 20 goal scorers. Bourque was terrible since he came over but when you have lots of holes to fix, it's going to time time to clean up the mess. Perhaps it was just a bad year for him, maybe he can bounce back to some degree, if not then hopefully the new gm will address the issue at some point.

But to say you'd take Gomez over Bourque at even salary seems overdoing it to me, as the rate at which Gomez has declined means he's likely going to put up -25 points next season if my calcs are correct.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Not really surprising though as it shouldn't be. Bourque had back to back 27 goal seasons, then sucked, Gomez sucked last year and then was much worse this year at more then double the salary and cap hit.

Scoring 20 goals is huge for the Habs though, as they seem unable to find consistent 20 goal scorers. Bourque was terrible since he came over but when you have lots of holes to fix, it's going to time time to clean up the mess. Perhaps it was just a bad year for him, maybe he can bounce back to some degree, if not then hopefully the new gm will address the issue at some point.

But to say you'd take Gomez over Bourque at even salary seems overdoing it to me, as the rate at which Gomez has declined means he's likely going to put up -25 points next season if my calcs are correct.
Gomez's rating was -9 and Bourque's was -16, it's more relevant in that matter of speaking that Bourque would of had a -32 rating and Gomez a -18 rating. Players don't control their salaries but what they do on the ice and I would give Gomez more chances to bounce back than Bourque because of what he has shown in his career and because of what Bourque hasn't shown in his career. The baseline is that they both sucked as equally.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Asking for an extension certainly killed his trade value. Other teams knew there would be new management in Montreal soon enough and that was where he wanted to play.

I hope he returns in the off-season.
I don't see how it would hurt his trade value. Esp if he's going to Nashville to play with his brother.

What hurt his value was the way we cut his icetime to practically zero and publicly threatened him with a benching. That's not smart when you're looking to deal players away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
lol, I didn't know there were still people who believed what players say in interviews.
Why would he lie? There's absolutely no reason to do that in this case?
Quote:

You can try to dress this up however you want. The fact is that the Flames couldn't wait to get rid of him and we wasted an asset on a player nobody else wanted... again. Bourque doesn't do anything for us and the fact that he's had effort issues in the past should've been enough to keep us away.

Again, a club wanted to get rid of a player and we paid a premium... for no reason.
Quote:
That's one problem. Again, I'm okay with us dealing him (I think we just should've kept him) but not for a 2nd rounder. Pathetic return on a player who's 27 and wanted to stay with us. Decent 2nd liner who showed chemistry with Pleks.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Why would he lie? There's absolutely no reason to do that in this case?
No player is ever going to say "yea I cant wait to get the F out of here" on record.

Quote:
That's one problem. Again, I'm okay with us dealing him (I think we just should've kept him) but not for a 2nd rounder. Pathetic return on a player who's 27 and wanted to stay with us. Decent 2nd liner who showed chemistry with Pleks.
Too bad there's no cure for stubborness.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:49 AM
uocooco

It's not his lack of production that people don't like about Bourque, it's his lack of compete level. He's just a bad influence on everybody.

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
AreYouHockey

We need more heart and less "if he plays like this every game"

Not to bourque is my choice. Whatever we can get is good, anyway we have the 2nd pick in 2013

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
bsl

Quote:
I don't think they were "pure luck". But he showed no sign whatsoever that he's capable of repeating it.

Well, not *all* 20 something goals scorer are of the streaky type who contribute nothing else to the game. Some are. Some work harder or do other things, and nobody really cares if their 10 goals or 20 goals are streaky or not. The streakiness is magnified when the player has no other significant redeeming traits in his game, that's all.

Anyway, Bourque was a 10-goal-per-season scorer for us... also with no other redeeming traits. So I think that hits the threshold where I'd cut and run. And it's not like he wasn't given every chance. He got good icetime and good opportunities for those 10 goals.

I don't mind looking at him now as the salary dump that Calgary needed to make in order to take on Cammy's big contract. I would try to build a winning team. And that means not taking chances on question mark players or salary dump players if I don't need to. Maybe he comes back and plays well, maybe not. My preference would be to build a team where I don't have to worry about that stuff, at least not overtly. I don't want the glaring question marks hanging around before the season even starts.

One thing that will impress me most off the top with a new GM is if he gets right to business with these underachieving/overpaid players like Gomez, Bourque, and Kaberle. He doesn't owe them anything, and their success here has no bearing on his reputation. If he's committed to winning, it would be a great start if he was able to act decisively to remove these sub-standard players.
I like this post . A lot. Especially bold above. This is exactly what the new GM should do. Purge the team of losers. He'll have one chance to do so.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote