HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Paul Hamilton - "Lindy doesnt want a strong captain"

Old
04-10-2012, 09:40 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
So if Lindy doesn't put a C on a guy's jersey, that guy isn't allowed to backtalk him? The C is purely symbolic, and I think if you're not looking at it from the perspective of "who will challenge Ruff the most," Pominville is obviously the guy. Nobody had any problem with him being captain until Paul Hamilton came up with this angle.

I think there are guys in the locker room who will question Lindy. Derek Roy gets accused of being one of Lindy's favorites, yet his comments at locker cleanout show he's not afraid of speaking his mind. You think Ryan Miller doesn't have some say when we keep Patrick Lalime for another year just to keep him happy? You think it's entirely Lindy's decision to play Miller every game when we're in a playoff race? What about Leino and Ehrhoff, these guys came into the locker room already signed to long term deals, do you really think they're afraid to talk back to Lindy? Supposedly it was Leino's decision to move back to wing when center wasn't working.

No, I think some of our players have too much input into the game plan. The only ones questioning Lindy on a consistent basis should be James Patrick, Teppo Numminen and Kevyn Adams. What exactly did Drury and Briere say to him that lead to two ECFs? Ridiculous.
Well, just because there are guys in the locker room who would challenge Lindy doesn't mean that they are as likely to without the C or that their voices are as well heeded as the captain's. Players are people and people tend to be influenced by designated leaders. There's some political gravity to the captaincy.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:40 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
We could have had this discussion without anything from Hamilton. Why are so many Sabres fans in denial about this organization? We dont have people in place to have a 1st class organization, and until we figure that out we wont.
You know what's pretty annoying? This fallback argument that anyone who has a different opinion about something is 'in denial', 'accepting mediocrity' , 'drinking the kool aid', or some other half baked insult.

It's tiring.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:21 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

I don't necessarily agree with this.

Not saying Paul is wrong by any means just that it seems to be pure speculation. Especially when you consider this:

Ruff let the players choose Rivet to be Captain the one season.

Drury was an obvious choice and known for his leadership skills.

Pomminville has long been consistent and smart. A guy ANY young player could look to.

I think the problem is more in line when guys don't play Ruff's system, captain or not.

Hamilton made it sound like Ruff would put personal interests above winning. To me that is simply not the case.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
If only the world could be based on fact exclusively...

Please, enlighten me to what the OP was based on then. I must have heard the original interview wrong this morning I guess.
I guess you did because Hamilton made several comments in regards to Lindy throughout the interview that built up to the comment about the captain.

Around the 5min mark he was responding to White's confusion over Lindy ripping the players after the loss to Philly. Hamilton talked about how Lindy had changed after the Olympics and was a lot less negative. He remembered Grier talking about how different Lindy was in Grier's 2nd stint with the Sabres. He wasn't the coach any more that would hammer players with negative comments during a long 1 on 1 video session. Instead he would bring more positive videos to the sessions or would let the players do their video work on their own. He would also just make a few comments after a tough loss and let the players sort things out themselves. Whereas in the past he would lay into them himself.

So later in the interview when Hamilton was asked if he thinks there will be a discussion about Pommer as captain(among the coachs/management) he said this;

"If its the Lindy Ruff that I hear is in the lockerroom, he doesn't want a strong captain.

Thats why you get Stu Barnes and Jason Pominville and that kind of thing."

"If its the Lindy he hears is in the lockerroom", meaning he thinks the old hard driving Lindy may be back, In Hamilton's mind that Lindy doesn't want a strong captain and he offers up Stu Barnes and Pommer as proof of this.

Couple of problems with this assertion on Hamilton's part.

1). He's not 100% sure if Lindy has gone back to being like that. He was hedging his bets with the IF the Lindy I HEAR is in that lockerroom. Because the only things I've read that the players didn't like was his comments after the Philly loss.

2) Even if 'hard driving" Lindy has returned. He didn't come back until the season had already started, likely the 2nd half. Hence it would have had ZERO impact on who he chose for captain before the season started.

3) The style of coaching that Hamilton is speculating Ruff may have reverted back to was how he coached pretty much from the day he was hired until the Olympics. That version of Ruff did choose Barnes as a captain. But that version of Ruff also chose Briere/Drury as co-captains and allowed the players to choose Rivet. So how can Hamilton then argue that version of Ruff doesn't like captains that will challenge him? The facts say otherwise. Its also worth noting that none of us have any idea how Barnes or Pommer dealt with Ruff.

Part of my problem with the OP is he takes Hamilton's take as being the truth then starts ripping Ruff. Other posters follow with comments that are mad Ruff thinks this way. Nevermind the fact that there was little evidence presented to say he does think that way. Even worse was some posters actual thought Hamilton's comment was a direct quote from Ruff

In that same interview Hamilton puts this beauty out there. He thinks Vanek's struggles in the 2nd half may have actually been Vanek finally quit on Ruff. What exactly does he base this on? Believe it or not he bases it on the fact that Vanek played in the last game of the season. As Hamilton put it; "If he was nursing an injury he wouldn't have played in the last game"

Keep in mind I generally like Hamilton. I'm also used to his occassional ramblings and his penchant for having specific players he loves to single out. But he was in rare form yesterday IMO.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-10-2012 at 11:37 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
beerme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Part of my problem with the OP is he takes Hamilton's take as being the truth then starts ripping Ruff. Other posters follow with comments that are mad Ruff thinks this way. Nevermind the fact that there was little evidence presented to say he does think that way. Even worse was some posters actual thought Hamilton's comment was a direct quote from Ruff

In that same interview Hamilton puts this beauty out there. He thinks Vanek's struggles in the 2nd half may have actually been Vanek finally quit on Ruff. What exactly does he base this on? Believe it or not he bases it on the fact that Vanek played in the last game of the season. As Hamilton put it; "If he was nursing an injury he wouldn't have played in the last game"

Keep in mind I generally like Hamilton. I'm also used to his occassional ramblings and his penchant for having specific players he loves to single out. But he was in rare form yesterday IMO.
I can understand your frustration at posters thinking it was a quote although it is entirely Hamiltons opinion. Something he is paid for and certainly entitled to do. Cant blame him if he gets taken out of context or misinterpreted. It was cleaar to me he is stating his beliefs.
To that point Im not sure I understand your confusion on the Vanek point at all. Guys that are nicked up shouldn't/wouldn't have played that game. Why did Boyes play? Why did Miller not? So if someone was nursing injury I would have fully expected them to be out of the lineup. Vanek was in. I can go along with the thought easily that Vanek quit based on the way I saw him play and the effort he appeared to show AND the lack of production from him through the second half although he did have a brief spurt. He was certainly not as willing to hang around the front of the net as he usually does where he gets the crap beat out of him.
One could surmise because he quit on the coach from that fact alone. Hell we are used to seeing him squinting and huffing and puffing once he gets to the bench. Didn't see that too much cause he was never busting his ass to get back a lot of times
Keep in mind Vanek is saying he wasnt hurt enough to affect him production wise. I see it as waffling. Even moreso after seeing the comments that he really was nicked up.

I guess the disclaimer is that I like Hamilton and have gotten to appreciate his insight and I believe honesty with his opinions. But hey, we all have em right!

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote