HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Biggest Problem with the Leafs

Old
04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Cruiser008

vCash: 500
The Biggest Problem with the Leafs

As a non-leafs fan I think you guys have a lot of potential with a roster sprinkled with promising young talent. The thing that hinders their development though has nothing to do with the team or the coaching staff. Rather it has everything to do with the media attention and the pressure from the Leafs nation. The fact is that playing for the Leafs is like spending 8 months straight in a proverbial fishbowl with not a single day off, and this IMO is particularly difficult for most hockey players who shy away from the limelight (and well as being detrimental to young player development). There are very few professional franchises in North America that face similar levels of scrutiny, and the ones that do like the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Knicks and Cowboys generally have personnel (typically stars and veterans) who are better equipped to 'take the heat'. The lone exception is the Canadians and, well, they're in an even worse position with the added issue of having to appease the French-speaking media.

Keep in mind this isn't the only problem with the Leafs, but it's a problem that is unique to Toronto's situation.

Last edited by Cruiser008: 04-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

I would argue 10 years of mis-management has played a signficant role in the Leafs current playoff draught.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:48 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

I hope you don't get flamed OP, but i am expecting a lot of people posting "They're professionals, THEY SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH IT" etc.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser008 View Post
There are very few professional franchises in North America that face similar levels of scrutiny, and the ones that do like the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Knicks and Cowboys generally have personnel (typically stars and veterans) who are better equipped to 'take the heat'.
Jeter - drafted and developed by the Yankees.
Rivera - ditto
Posada - ditto
Petite - ditto (left as a free agent and came back later)

Kobe - drafted and developed by the Lakers

Aikman - drafted developed by the Cowboys
Smith (Emmit) - ditto
Irvin - ditto

Youkilis - drafted and developed by the Red Sox
Pedroia - ditto
Ellsbury - ditto

I won't mention the Knicks. They are the NBA version of the Leafs.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Cruiser008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Rivera - ditto
Posada - ditto

Smith (Emmit) - ditto
Irvin - ditto

Pedroia - ditto
Ellsbury - ditto

A number of the players you mentioned were big-time talents before they were stars and grew up in the spotlight. Also virtually every player you mentioned RELISHES the spotlight.

Old
04-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

One Word: Incompetence.

If AA ran this team, do you think he'd do a better job? Hell yes. We need someone with a smart sense, some fire and the will to win. Burkie is a stubborn ***** who only thinks he's the greatest GM in his own mind.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Cruiser008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
I hope you don't get flamed OP, but i am expecting a lot of people posting "They're professionals, THEY SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH IT" etc.
I don't care if I do to be honest. It's pretty obvious that the being a Leaf is almost like being in a reality show. Not to easiest thing to get used to even if you're a professional athlete.

Old
04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
As a non-leafs fan I think you guys have a lot of potential with a roster sprinkled with promising young talent. The thing that hinders their development though has nothing to do with the team or the coaching staff. Rather it has everything to do with the media attention and the pressure from the Leafs nation. The fact is that playing for the Leafs is like spending 8 months straight in a proverbial fishbowl with not a single day off, and this IMO is particularly difficult for most hockey players who shy away from the limelight (and well as being detrimental to young player development). There are very few professional franchises in North America that face similar levels of scrutiny, and the ones that do like the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Knicks and Cowboys generally have personnel (typically stars and veterans) who are better equipped to 'take the heat'. The lone exception is the Canadians and, well, they're in an even worse position with the added issue of having to appease the French-speaking media.

Keep in mind this isn't the only problem with the Leafs, but it's a problem that is unique to Toronto's situation.
So there is an exception but it's still "unique"? Yea ok.

I live in Calgary and can state there is a lot of media pressure here with the Flames. It's the same in a lot of cities.

The only real difference is the fact that a national network like TSN [Toronto Sports Network] spends so much time on the Leafs and it gets broadcast to a national rather than simply a local market.

Thanks for caring though.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Leafs03

Biggest problem with this team? easy! TRADING THEIR DRAFT PICKS! if they kept our picks, we'd be one of the top teams in the prospect pool! but nope, we trade our picks away and than whine and Bytch about how we suck and shyt...

Media attention has nothing to do with this, how come Habs don't have a problem with it? They have just as big of a media than us...Its just that leafs dont draft and develop their own players.. nuff said.

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

The people who pay the bills are at fault here, I'm glad we can clear this up, everybody start chearing for different eteams because its to hard for people to play her

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Cruiser008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Biggest problem with this team? easy! TRADING THEIR DRAFT PICKS! if they kept our picks, we'd be one of the top teams in the prospect pool! but nope, we trade our picks away and than whine and Bytch about how we suck and shyt...

Media attention has nothing to do with this, how come Habs don't have a problem with it? They have just as big of a media than us...Its just that leafs dont draft and develop their own players.. nuff said.

The Habs DO have problem with it, and it is probably comparable to Toronto (although I don't know for sure 'cause I don't live there). It's not that the media in Toronto/Montreal are more intrusive, it's that when you combine local and national media, there is a greater number covering the Leafs and Canadians than any other professional hockey team in the world. This is not an issue that can ever be solved.

Last edited by Cruiser008: 04-09-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old
04-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post

Montreal? Yeah, like finishing dead last in the eastern conference is impressive. They've got problems too.

Problem with the Leafs is much more than draft picks, it's incompetence. No high ceiling talent on this team besides Kessel (who we didn't draft). The thing we do have is an abundance of good 2nd/3rd liners on the Marlies. And we got much tougher... Broll & Ross are players to watch out for. Also, he defense could improve with Blacker, Holzer and Percy.

Old
04-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Leafs03

Quote:
The Habs DO have problem with it, and it is on par if not worse than Toronto. It's not that the media in Toronto/Montreal are more intrusive, and that there is a greater number of media covering hockey in Toronto and Montreal than any other city in the world. This is not an issue that can ever be solved.
How do the habs have a problem with it? They made the playoffs 4 times since the lockout unlike the leafs none.. I do think media is a factor but not as much as building your own team from the draft. We always end up trading our picks, and we alawys end up drafting terrible.. We need a GM who has patience and builds this team with our picks...

Old
04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Leafs03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Montreal? Yeah, like finishing dead last in the eastern conference is. They've got problems too.
what about the other years, they made it. Why are you looking at this year? Habs had a terrible roster this year..

Old
04-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

You're right. I like Price and Subban, but the rest are underachievers, including Gomez. *COUGH*

Old
04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Rivera - ditto
Posada - ditto

Smith (Emmit) - ditto
Irvin - ditto

Pedroia - ditto
Ellsbury - ditto

I'm pretty sure Kobe was drafted elsewhere and traded to the Lakers.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:55 PM
zapy

Quote:

These are professional atheletes for god sakes....they get paid millions of dollars to play a game.

I can't believe all the excuses people have for the Leafs sucking.

I'm just sick of it.

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:58 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I'm pretty sure Kobe was drafted elsewhere and traded to the Lakers.
he was drafted by Charlotte but was traded to LA almost imidiately for Divac, so basically it would be like Edmonton drafting Galchenyuk then trading him to the leafs this summer so in a sense your right but Kobe has never played a game for another team other then the Lakers.

edit: tho I don't know if it's one of those weird deals in the NBA where you can't trade picks so you make the trade and then tell the team who to draft and then when the trade freeze lifts the trade actually goes through but I don't think so.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

I actually wish the biggest problem with the Leafs was media coverage. In fact it seems like a silly thing to suggest. We've got deeper problems unfortunately. Nothing we can't overcome.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
The biggest problem to me isn't a #1C, #1D, #1 goalie, media attention or anything like that.

When I see the Leafs play...even when they win games they're just happy to be there. They don't look like a team that wants to put in the effort every night and do whatever it takes to win a hockey game.

If they happen to win, they're happy, if they lose, the excuses are at the tip of their tongue.

If you don't have very many talented players you can't afford to take nights off.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Mansfield
nazzzzzzzty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
One Word: Incompetence.

If AA ran this team, do you think he'd do a better job? Hell yes. We need someone with a smart sense, some fire and the will to win. Burkie is a stubborn ***** who only thinks he's the greatest GM in his own mind.
yeah, he can just put arencibia in net, that'll help

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Space Cowboy44

Scotty Bowman would have made the Leafs contenders in the amount of time Burke has.

Space Cowboy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:38 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy44 View Post
Scotty Bowman would have made the Leafs contenders in the amount of time Burke has.
nope

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy44 View Post
Contenders for playoffs like the Flames.

Pyromaniac3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Erdinger

As a fan I accept full responsibilty for the incompetence and futility of the Leafs organization since 1967. Thanks to the OP for making me realize this.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote