HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Game Day Notes: Utah vs's Chicago

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2004, 12:35 AM
bruins4777*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusBennet
he's been a bright spot at times for the Wolves. He's one of the few truly 'finesse' oriented forwards on an otherwise NAmerican-styled, gritty team so he needs to contribute for the Wolves to have success. Which I guess is pretty obvious based on his mixed success and that of the Wolves as well. He's played better as of late but so has the entire team. Travis Roche has really impressed me. When Chicago wins they do so by outworking the other team and by simply hitting them and jumping on the turnovers they create. Oh and Lehtonen. They could become a better team if they REALLY gave themselves over to being a 'defensive first' team but there are veteran guys who sort of seem to just want to, I wouldn't say 'have fun' but... you get the feeling they know they're a middling team, which they are. I've come to respect them as a team as the season has gone on. No NHL prospects whatsoever except KL. Seriously, not one. I'm trying to think whether Kevin (Baby) Doell qualifies, or however you spell his last name. I know he's a youngster. He's not nearly a top prospect, skill wise although you gotta love his attitude. Much like the Wolves themselves. Something tells me there are a lot of good times being had on road trips by the Wolves players.
Well Vigier's in the NHL already...he played on the 2nd line a bit, but mostly a 3rd liner. He didn't play special teams at all, but at times he demonstrated fantastic chemistry with kovalchuk. He had this one amazing play against raycroft. he pulled the puck about 3 or 4 times and scored. The same game he came in pulled a beautiful deke shot it raycroft made a save rebound came to another person raycorft made yet another save back to vigier another great save back to another great save again. then once again to vigier who FINALLY finishes it and scores on raycroft. It was insane. It all happened so quick.

Anyways, i agree with you though. They are all career AHLer's and not even good ones at that except for larsen and maybe roche. I think vigier will be a solid 3rd liner in the NHL. He showed he can handle it. And kari. Well we all know how dominant he will be

Old
12-02-2004, 12:41 AM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
Well Vigier's in the NHL already...he played on the 2nd line a bit, but mostly a 3rd liner. He didn't play special teams at all, but at times he demonstrated fantastic chemistry with kovalchuk. He had this one amazing play against raycroft. he pulled the puck about 3 or 4 times and scored. The same game he came in pulled a beautiful deke shot it raycroft made a save rebound came to another person raycorft made yet another save back to vigier another great save back to another great save again. then once again to vigier who FINALLY finishes it and scores on raycroft. It was insane. It all happened so quick.

Anyways, i agree with you though. They are all career AHLer's and not even good ones at that except for larsen and maybe roche. I think vigier will be a solid 3rd liner in the NHL. He showed he can handle it. And kari. Well we all know how dominant he will be
I haven't really bothered becoming familiar w/the Wolves past as players (aside from ones who have had some extended time at the NHL level) so I wasn't aware the Vigier played a signifigant role in Atlanta. I would have guessed he'd suffice on an expansion NHL team in need of scoring depth. As you said, he can make thinks happen offensively. Still, he's not top 9 forward material on a *good* NHL team (no offense, Atlanta fans.) He's a tweener, of which the Wolves are loaded and of which the AHL is loaded.
I heard from one GM that the think about finesse players is not whether or not they can ON OCCASION play at the NHL level and make plays, etc, but whether or not they can do it consistently and whether or not they can do it in tighter spaces, against more physical players. I guess I don't see that in Vigier. He may produce in spurts at the NHL level... so may a lot of guys, though. We'll see.

Old
12-02-2004, 12:52 AM
roadrunner

Thanks a whole lot, CB! Awesome job. We in Phoenix need hockey news like the desert needs the rain, lemme tell ya! Nothing really going on here these days. Stupid NHL!

Old
12-02-2004, 08:08 PM
rowall

Send a message via MSN to rowall
Watch out for Gelech. He will continue to impress as the seaon progresses. The tougher the opposition the better he plays. And you will notice that his goals usually come at critical points in the game. He is also an excellent penalty killer. I was his billet for the four years he played in Kelowna. If you could make it to the NHL on attitude alone, he would be the number one pick. He's a late bloomer but as he adjusts to the pro levels he will be turning some heads. Nice report. Your impressions of the last two games were very insightful. Ronnie.

Old
12-03-2004, 03:18 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusBennet
I haven't really bothered becoming familiar w/the Wolves past as players (aside from ones who have had some extended time at the NHL level) so I wasn't aware the Vigier played a signifigant role in Atlanta. I would have guessed he'd suffice on an expansion NHL team in need of scoring depth. As you said, he can make thinks happen offensively. Still, he's not top 9 forward material on a *good* NHL team (no offense, Atlanta fans.) He's a tweener, of which the Wolves are loaded and of which the AHL is loaded.
I heard from one GM that the think about finesse players is not whether or not they can ON OCCASION play at the NHL level and make plays, etc, but whether or not they can do it consistently and whether or not they can do it in tighter spaces, against more physical players. I guess I don't see that in Vigier. He may produce in spurts at the NHL level... so may a lot of guys, though. We'll see.
What you said about him is true, he produces in flashes. Right now he only made the 2nd line on occasion because he played with kovalchuk and he played well with kovalchuk, but for the most part he was a 3rd liner.

Atlanta wasn't at their best last year, mainly because of inconsistency, but i think once the season roles around playoffs won't be too hard to get.

Old
12-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Tekneek

I don't think Vigier would have gained nearly as much NHL experience with a different organization. He has to be barely hanging onto his NHL roster spot, and signing with Chicago probably did win him some points with Atlanta's GM.

Closed Thread