Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2012, 10:01 AM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
This part I do understand but allot of it has to do with the fact Phoenix have an amazing facility in Glendale which we didn't have (all be it in the wrong area) and they have had a city underwriting the losses for the past two seasons.
Just to clarify, the Coyotes played their first several seasons in an old basketball arena right in Phoenix (not Glendale) with a few thousand seats that did not have a full view of the ice surface...

So, their original arena was probably worse than the old Winnipeg Arena. At least in our old barn every seat had a view of the complete ice surface

Old
04-20-2012, 10:03 AM
angrymnky

vCash: 500
I'll still hate Bettman, he's the top guy whether it's fair or not. Makes more sense to me than blaming Phoenix.

In the girlfriend analogy Bettman was the best friend who told the woman she was better off without our sorry ass and to cut ties quick with no looking back. But when there's trouble with the new guy(Bettman's best friend), it's don't be rash, work it out, hey you need some cash to help smooth things out?

Old
04-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Just to clarify, the Coyotes played their first several seasons in an old basketball arena right in Phoenix (not Glendale) with a few thousand seats that did not have a full view of the ice surface...

So, their original arena was probably worse than the old Winnipeg Arena. At least in our old barn every seat had a view of the complete ice surface
I remember plenty of seats that were right behind huge pillars and when the play went up the ice you had to go from looking at the ice, to looking at TV's attached to the pillar, to looking back at the ice or else you would miss everything in the middle of the ice...of course I was super young so I might be wrong on that.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:07 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I remember plenty of seats that were right behind huge pillars and when the play went up the ice you had to go from looking at the ice, to looking at TV's attached to the pillar, to looking back at the ice or else you would miss everything in the middle of the ice...of course I was super young so I might be wrong on that.
You are not wrong
Most of the seats in the upper deck could only see part of the ice surface

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
04-20-2012, 10:09 AM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I never went to a game at their old arena - but know some people who did. These people also attended games in quite a few other NHL cities. They said the old Phoenix rink was the worst arena in the league at the time - largely because of what you mentioned.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
No you are totally right I ****in loathed those seats.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:12 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
You are not wrong
Most of the seats in the upper deck could only see part of the ice surface
Not to mention, they were a SCARY proposition to try to get to - those stairs were STEEP! Bought many tickets for Jets games when I was an impoverished student in the upper deck. Almost like a two for one: got to watch hockey, and scare yourself shirtless getting to your seat.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:15 AM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Not to mention, they were a SCARY proposition to try to get to - those stairs were STEEP! Bought many tickets for Jets games when I was an impoverished student in the upper deck. Almost like a two for one: got to watch hockey, and scare yourself shirtless getting to your seat.
I believe he was talking about the upper deck in the old Phoenix arena where you couldn't even see the ice surface...

At least in our old arena - you had a birds-eye view of the entire ice surface from your seat. And yes, the stairs were VERY steep

Old
04-20-2012, 10:36 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

All the series in the West are now 3-1. Assuming no epic comeback stories, the second round should be:

(2) St. Louis vs. (8) Los Angeles
(3) Phoenix vs. (4) Nashville

I'm predicing a Nashville vs. Los Angeles conference final.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Has anyone seen this abortion of a video?

***WARNING, MAY INDUCE PROJECTILE VOMITING

Please for the love of god eliminate the Canucks on their own turf. PS why the hell do we have to wait til SUNDAY FFS?

04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post

100% agree I was referencing at the time the teams were (are) under duress for sale purposes. Winnipeg didn't have an acceptable arena..........Phoenix has a top notch facility

Old
04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Now I am going to have to apologize for continuing this in the playoff thread, but I had to comment on the bolded. It's basically my number 1 beef with the NHL.

Winnipeg did have an ownership group step up. If you can find the articles regarding John Loewen and MEC, the story is that they presented a group ownership structure to the NHL and the NHL rejected it. The NHL's stance was that they wanted 1 deep pocket owner.

And then, less than a few years later they let Calgary and Edmonton create ownership groups.
Yea this is the one spot they had blood on their hands I think. At best they learned from their mistake with us.......at worst they were more motivated to punt on us than they were on Edmonton. Edmonton was lucky in that they had a facility that worked for another 15 years but past that there was a clear double standard. I still think we were in extreme long shot range but your point is fair. As I mentioned in another post whether its Atlanta vs. Phoenix........Winnipeg vs. Edmonton.......it does feel like each deal is approached differently. Since Quebec, Hartford, and Winnipeg heading for the South the NHL has gotten away more protective or markets.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Lets steer this back on track guys. The Phoenix discussion and how we lost the franchise can be discussed (and has been) elsewhere.

I really hope that Chicago can find a way to come back in the series but I just don't see it atm.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:01 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Lets steer this back on track guys. The Phoenix discussion and how we lost the franchise can be discussed (and has been) elsewhere.

I really hope that Chicago can find a way to come back in the series but I just don't see it atm.
They need to find a goalie

Old
04-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Wow were those two overtime goals that Crawford let in weak.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:

Please for the love of god eliminate the Canucks on their own turf. PS why the hell do we have to wait til SUNDAY FFS?
Apparently Coldplay are to blame for the Sunday start.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
That's cool. I really hate the situation too. To this day I still get upset to think about how quickly the Jets were gone, and how not only did the NHL not really step up to help is out, when a group of Winnipeggers put together a group ownership plan the NHL killed it. And then they let Edmonton and Calgary have Group Ownership!!

I just think when people say F Phoenix, it would be hard for someone from Phoenix to not take that personally.

I know when someone says F Winnipeg that I take that a little personally.
Having the Jets leave was a sad time.
However, for a few years prior to them leaving the vocal minority was very adamant that no public money should be used to help the franchise. This was a time that government's were trying to get spending under control.
The Jets had a arena that couldn't support a NHL team. I'm pretty sure the team made no money on concessions at the games. That was a WEP cash cow. Player salaries were escalating and there was no end in sight. The leagues parity was awful and the teams that couldn't spend the money on players to win would get less fans which would mean even less money to spend on players.
Unless the government had been willing to cover losses I don't think anyone could have kept the franchise afloat in Winnipeg at that time. To think otherwise is wishful thinking.
Pheonix got the team. Someone was going to get it and it doesn't really matter which city got it.
It was only after Winnipeg and QC lost their team that people in Canada woke up and realized that if the franchises weren't provided support it would soon be down to three Canadain teams. This realization is the reason that the Oilers, Flames, and Sens stayed in Canada. Unfortunately Winnipeg was the wake up call to the Country.

Just be happy the Jets are back and people all over Canada realize that if they don't support hockey with their $$$ then they will be watching on TV only.

Like I said. I hope Pheonix keep their team and QC gets a expansion team. If you were a Coyotes fan you would be pissed too. Winnipeg fans were circling around the team like vultures for years and made no secret of it. The fans have had to put up with poor management and then the last years of this relocation, no relocation, BS. How strongly would you support a team you thought would be gone the next year?

Old
04-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Yeah, I've been saying that for 2 years. But no, they play Crawford. Are they even aware that they had the most overstacked superteam since the lockout when they won with Niemi?(And frankly, I prefer Niemi over Crawford)

Old
04-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Having the Jets leave was a sad time.
However, for a few years prior to them leaving the vocal minority was very adamant that no public money should be used to help the franchise. This was a time that government's were trying to get spending under control.
The Jets had a arena that couldn't support a NHL team. I'm pretty sure the team made no money on concessions at the games. That was a WEP cash cow. Player salaries were escalating and there was no end in sight. The leagues parity was awful and the teams that couldn't spend the money on players to win would get less fans which would mean even less money to spend on players.
Unless the government had been willing to cover losses I don't think anyone could have kept the franchise afloat in Winnipeg at that time. To think otherwise is wishful thinking.
Pheonix got the team. Someone was going to get it and it doesn't really matter which city got it.
It was only after Winnipeg and QC lost their team that people in Canada woke up and realized that if the franchises weren't provided support it would soon be down to three Canadain teams. This realization is the reason that the Oilers, Flames, and Sens stayed in Canada. Unfortunately Winnipeg was the wake up call to the Country.

Just be happy the Jets are back and people all over Canada realize that if they don't support hockey with their $$$ then they will be watching on TV only.

Like I said. I hope Pheonix keep their team and QC gets a expansion team. If you were a Coyotes fan you would be pissed too. Winnipeg fans were circling around the team like vultures for years and made no secret of it. The fans have had to put up with poor management and then the last years of this relocation, no relocation, BS. How strongly would you support a team you thought would be gone the next year?
I agree with what you are saying. I'm only choked that when Winnipeg did have an ownership group step up, it was denied by the NHL, but a few years later when Calgary and Edmonton did it, it was allowed.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Listen to Jet guys, back on topic. You don't want to get him angy, you wouldn't like him when he is angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Yeah, I've been saying that for 2 years. But no, they play Crawford. Are they even aware that they had the most overstacked superteam since the lockout when they won with Niemi?(And frankly, I prefer Niemi over Crawford)
I always liked Crawford, but he has been downright terrible most of this season and especially in these playoffs. That ot goal last night...

Old
04-20-2012, 02:04 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Wow were those two overtime goals that Crawford let in weak.
100% agreed
terrihorribad

Old
04-20-2012, 03:25 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Has anyone seen this abortion of a video?

***WARNING, MAY INDUCE PROJECTILE VOMITING

This is painful to watch...........why does if feel like government dollars were probably used to make this video??

Old
04-20-2012, 05:03 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Damn you Coldplay!
Was hoping to see the Canucks elimination tonight.

If you had told me last October that the final 4 in the West would be Kings/Preds/Yotes/Blues ..... I would have taken that bet, no way that was going to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Apparently Coldplay are to blame for the Sunday start.

Old
04-20-2012, 05:16 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/

Spin the Wheel of Justice and determine the suspension!

Old
04-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Damn you Coldplay!
Was hoping to see the Canucks elimination tonight.

If you had told me last October that the final 4 in the West would be Kings/Preds/Yotes/Blues ..... I would have taken that bet, no way that was going to happen!
I think everybody knew the Predators and Kings were damn good. I had both winning their divisions to be honest. Coyotes I thought would fall well out of playoffs Blues were a wildcard, I would have had them 6-10.

Closed Thread