HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

So what was your favorite moment of the regular season?

Old
04-07-2012, 06:40 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

vCash: 500
So what was your favorite moment of the regular season?

Even though he had a setback afterwards, I may have to go with Sid scoring that ridiculous backhand goal after being on the shelf for 11 months with people speculating his career might be over.

What say you?

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:42 PM
66-29-33

Crosby's comeback against the Islanders.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Saku11

Matt Cooke turnround is one of them for sure...

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Nearly all of it. It's been a memorable season and one that can only get better if we do well in the play-offs.

It's gone quickly too.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:47 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Even though he had a setback afterwards, I may have to go with Sid scoring that ridiculous backhand goal after being on the shelf for 11 months with people speculating his career might be over.

What say you?
Geno's third period in the game he played at Tampa.

Just four days before, the Pens had fallen out of the playoffs. Just two days before, there was the Crosby captain article. Then, that night, the Pens won at Florida to snap a six game losing streak. BUT, the team was really fragile at that moment.

So, the Pens go into Tampa and take a 3-0 lead. Early in the third, the Bolts erase it in spectacular fashion. IMO, right there, the Pens season was teetering on the edge. If they'd lost that game after losing that lead, then who knows what would have happened thereafter.

Faceoff after the goal to make it 3-3, Moore gets chippy with Geno. Kunitz cools him down. Malkin scores on that shift. Then, he scores the diviing backhanded goal. Then, he drives LeCavalier insane. Then, he scores the EN goal.

For me, that third period was THE defining moment for the Pens season. It's the moment the season could have been saved or lost. And, it's the moment that Geno went out and said through his play 'WE ARE NOT LOSING THIS GAME'.

To be honest, for me, that's was the real moment he became the frontrunner for the Hart in my book.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Geno's third period in the game he played at Tampa.

Just four days before, the Pens had fallen out of the playoffs. Just two days before, there was the Crosby captain article. Then, that night, the Pens won at Florida to snap a six game losing streak. BUT, the team was really fragile at that moment.

So, the Pens go into Tampa and take a 3-0 lead. Early in the third, the Bolts erase it in spectacular fashion. IMO, right there, the Pens season was teetering on the edge. If they'd lost that game after losing that lead, then who knows what would have happened thereafter.

Faceoff after the goal to make it 3-3, Moore gets chippy with Geno. Kunitz cools him down. Malkin scores on that shift. Then, he scores the diviing backhanded goal. Then, he drives LeCavalier insane. Then, he scores the EN goal.

For me, that third period was THE defining moment for the Pens season. It's the moment the season could have been saved or lost. And, it's the moment that Geno went out and said through his play 'WE ARE NOT LOSING THIS GAME'.

To be honest, for me, that's was the real moment he became the frontrunner for the Hart in my book.
this one.

but if I can't steal his I think it has to be the 2nd to last game against Boston where Kunitz and Neal just made Chara look dumb

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:52 PM
SidTheKid8787

Gotta be Sid's backhander.

And Geno in Tampa is very memorable as well.

For me, personally, i'd add Sid's second comeback. To see him get hit and bounce right back up, alot of people breathed a little easier after that.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Skillzz
Registered Boozer

vCash: 450
Tough to pick just one, but Sid's comeback against the Islanders definitely stands out. When he went around those pylon-like defenders and roofed that backhand, I screamed like a 14 year old girl in the front row of a Justin Beiber concert

Skillzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:55 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Season went by to quickly.

This was the moment though.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:57 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

- Malkin's "Shades Of Mario goal" (When discussing Malkin's best goal, it's hard to choose between that goal or his '09 playoff spinning backhander for the hatty on Ward IMO. They're both just so sick.)

- Crosby's 1st comeback/1st goal ("Welcome back Sid" indeed!!!!)

- Malkin lighting up Roloson and his "I wanted him to see my face" postgame quote afterwards.

- James Neal reaching 40 goals and truly proving that he's the Real ****ing Deal.

- The emergence of Pascal The Offensively Gold-Handed Rascal.

- Cookie going from being a safety threat (at times) to an equally powerful offensive one.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:03 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Geno staring down Rolly in Tampa for sure. At that point it was already very well established that Malkin was trying to push himself back into his elite form, and for us Pens fans we already held him back there up to that point...

But at that moment he made a real statement to the entire league about how he was playing the game and his intentions on ice. At that point I believe he shut up anyone that doubted him.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Sid's return against the Isles and Malkin's 1-on-5 goal against the Bolts. Both will be forever etched in my memory.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:07 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Sid's return against the Isles and Malkin's 1-on-5 goal against the Bolts. Both will be forever etched in my memory.
Do you mean his "Shades Of Mario" goal man?

Old
04-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post

- Malkin lighting up Roloson and his "I wanted him to see my face" postgame quote afterwards.
Wait what was this thing?. Dont remeber that one.He actually said that?

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:09 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Almost forgot Asham putting Beagle "to sleep."

Man that celebration was just as badass as Scary Gary Roberts takin' Eager to school a few years ago IMO. It's a shame he had to apologize for it.

Old
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Yeah after Roloson mugged him for no reason he roofed a slapper from an impossible angle and stared him down, then gave that quote after the game.

Roloson also said that Malkin told him where the shot went in case he missed that.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ing/53248258/1

Quote:
Malkin scowled at Roloson, staring at the 42-year-old goalie until teammates arrived for the celebratory group hug.

"I wanted him to see my face," Malkin said.

Old
04-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post

What say you?
That was the first thing that came to mind even though I do know there were many other memorable moments. Without getting too insightful about it, I'll say this. Very exciting all around considering the story going along with it.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Do you mean his "Shades Of Mario" goal man?
The "Shades of Mario" goal will forever be the one he scored against the Devils a few years ago, at least in my opinion. Splitting the D and embarrassing Marty with a few moves before tucking it in far side on his backhand.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Pensgal1158

Malkins GOTY canidate, Crosby coming back both times, James Neal hat trick, Cooke's turnaround, Orpik's hit on Paille lol... so many more

Pensgal1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

"he got his leg with his wand." Bob Errey moment of the year

"TIMBEERRRRRRRR" Paul Steigerwald moment of the year

5 minute discussion on how long and how stiff James Neal's shaft is wins the best duo rant

Old
04-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
"he got his leg with his wand." Bob Errey moment of the year
even better was his immediate self-congratulatory "get it, i made a david legwand pun" mutterings.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:28 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Geno staring down Rolly in Tampa for sure. At that point it was already very well established that Malkin was trying to push himself back into his elite form, and for us Pens fans we already held him back there up to that point...

But at that moment he made a real statement to the entire league about how he was playing the game and his intentions on ice. At that point I believe he shut up anyone that doubted him.
At that point, it was already well established that Malkin was the best (healthy) player in hockey.

If you want the 'I'm back' moment, IMO it was the goal in the home game against Colorado. One of the announcers basically called it his announcement that he was back, and it was really after that when he started racking up the points, the goals, and even a highlight reel goal every week or two.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
At that point, it was already well established that Malkin was the best (healthy) player in hockey.

If you want the 'I'm back' moment, IMO it was the goal in the home game against Colorado. One of the announcers basically called it his announcement that he was back, and it was really after that when he started racking up the points, the goals, and even a highlight reel goal every week or two.
when he danced around Lando? that was a beauty.

Old
04-07-2012, 07:35 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:

Maybe didnt choose my works perfectly there. But my point was more about the later statement than that one. That at the point with Rolly he was making a statement to the entire NHL.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote