HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Disrespected by experts

Old
04-10-2012, 07:55 AM
mug25

vCash: 500
These may be pretty unpopular but these are my concerns:

- Secondary scoring. As my favorite player, it was disappointing to see Stepan NOT produce last year in the playoffs. He needs to turn it up, as do Dubinsky, Boyle (he's heating up) and Fedotenko.

- Del Zotto needs to shoot the puck on the Powerplay. Torts said it. Heck, the Garden crowd screams it. SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK.

- Bickel making bonehead plays. I still feel he's our worst defenseman, including Eminger and Woywitka. I've lost count how many times he's been out of position and has gotten burnt by speed. Hoping he doesn't choke it up in the playoffs.

Besides that, I see the first line producing. Henrik will make up for lackluster playoff performances in the pass and Girardi + McDonagh will be rock solid as usual.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Sens Rule

Disrespected by experts.... Vegas had Ottawa at 30th in the NHL. And those odds were real... it involved money not just a few reporters talking out of their ass.

Disrespected by experts is where the Senators have been all season. Does it mean the Sens beat the Rangers? Nope! But experts are silly. There is such parity in the NHL now that the 8th seed Sens who are mostly healthy are not far off the first seed Rangers. To me it is a pick em series. I read that some posters here think it will be an easy 4 or 5 game series. Unlikely I think. The Rangers have been so well coached and in the Canadian Media they say the Rangers have been playing playoff style hockey all season under Torts... they say it like it is a bad thing and the Rangers are rife to lose. It is clearly a good thing.

However the Senators have played from behind all year. They have played playoff comeback style all season long. They started terrible, they were picked to be terrible and they came back... the start of them marching toward a playoff spot happened early when they started coming back from being down in the third, again and again, even in the last minutes. Ottawa has been streaky but they had some bad losing streaks and came back and started winning again.

Anderson is not as good as Lundqvist... but he is solid and outstanding at times. He keeps the Sens in every game he plays. He is the most SOLID goalie the Sens have ever had (though Hasek for a half season was the best). Karlsson is among the most talented players in the world. He might be solved for a game or two but he is competitive as they come... he won't be shut out. Spezza, Alfredsson, Phillips, Gonchar, Neil are proven playoff warrior players. Been there done that... they won't be intimidated.

Ottawa won't give up easily if down a couple of games in the series. They won't go quietly. They have a better offence then the Rangers... they are not out of any game even if down 2 or even 3 goals.

This will not be an easy series for the Rangers. They may not even win it. They may.. they are a better team but not by as much as some might think. Could be the best series of the playoffs. Both teams have been playing playoff like hockey for most of the year. Maclean is from Detroit, he knows how to win and he knows how not to panic. Torts is a warrior and has won it. Both teams are filled with hard nosed competitors.. it is not going to be a finesse battle.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
This will not be an easy series for the Rangers. They may not even win it. They may.. they are a better team but not by as much as some might think. Could be the best series of the playoffs. Both teams have been playing playoff like hockey for most of the year. Maclean is from Detroit, he knows how to win and he knows how not to panic. Torts is a warrior and has won it. Both teams are filled with hard nosed competitors.. it is not going to be a finesse battle.
The first round is going to be awesome. I wouldn't be shocked if any of the lower seeded teams came out on top for any of the series except maybe the fla-nj series.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
The first round is going to be awesome. I wouldn't be shocked if any of the lower seeded teams came out on top for any of the series except maybe the fla-nj series.
Really? I think the Devils are actually a favorite to win that series. They are a much better team than the Panthers IMHO.

This series will probably go 6, maybe even 7 games. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will come out on top. But it will NOT be easy, by any means.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
The NHL should be rooting for a Rangers - LA finals. Considering the size of both cities and their location, it would attract more fans to hockey than anything else out there.

When the Rangers won the Cup in 1994, it was great for hockey.
This is one of the greatest myths of all. How did it help the NHL?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
TeamRenzo

Sens fan coming in peace...

I am looking forward to this series as Sens and Rangers have never met in the playoffs. It shoudl be a good series.

Best of luck boys!

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Does anyone feel we are being disrespected by the experts on how far of a run we will make? Some have us out in the first round, most have us getting bounced after that.
Fans and players alike love to portray themselves as being dissed. It's a universal based on trying to create a let's rally together against all of "them".

Nobody knows how it will play out, but if Crosby doesn't get hurt, I like their chances. But that's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I am dissing the Rangers.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Rangers must turn their game around by 360 degree....
360 puts you in the same spot you started.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:02 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Disrespected by experts.... Vegas had Ottawa at 30th in the NHL. And those odds were real... it involved money not just a few reporters talking out of their ass.

Disrespected by experts is where the Senators have been all season. Does it mean the Sens beat the Rangers? Nope! But experts are silly. There is such parity in the NHL now that the 8th seed Sens who are mostly healthy are not far off the first seed Rangers. To me it is a pick em series. I read that some posters here think it will be an easy 4 or 5 game series. Unlikely I think. The Rangers have been so well coached and in the Canadian Media they say the Rangers have been playing playoff style hockey all season under Torts... they say it like it is a bad thing and the Rangers are rife to lose. It is clearly a good thing.

However the Senators have played from behind all year. They have played playoff comeback style all season long. They started terrible, they were picked to be terrible and they came back... the start of them marching toward a playoff spot happened early when they started coming back from being down in the third, again and again, even in the last minutes. Ottawa has been streaky but they had some bad losing streaks and came back and started winning again.

Anderson is not as good as Lundqvist... but he is solid and outstanding at times. He keeps the Sens in every game he plays. He is the most SOLID goalie the Sens have ever had (though Hasek for a half season was the best). Karlsson is among the most talented players in the world. He might be solved for a game or two but he is competitive as they come... he won't be shut out. Spezza, Alfredsson, Phillips, Gonchar, Neil are proven playoff warrior players. Been there done that... they won't be intimidated.

Ottawa won't give up easily if down a couple of games in the series. They won't go quietly. They have a better offence then the Rangers... they are not out of any game even if down 2 or even 3 goals.

I think the point of the OP was that for a team that finished 2nd in the NHL they are getting crapped on pretty good by some so called experts. But like your sens it has been happening all season. Before the season they were picked to finish 7th by some experts, the hockey writers even saying that there is no way they would improve.
All season long people were waiting for their drop off, saying there was no way they could continue to play like they were.
Now they are the ones who will be upset in the playoffs.

Both teams have been disrespected all season long so who do some pick in a 1-8 matchup? the 8 seed of course.

I do agree that it will be a tough series, but of course I will say Rangers in 6.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Really? I think the Devils are actually a favorite to win that series. They are a much better team than the Panthers IMHO.

This series will probably go 6, maybe even 7 games. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will come out on top. But it will NOT be easy, by any means.
Oops. That's what I meant. That I wouldn't be surprised with any outcome in any of the series except FLA-NJ because I think NJ is a lock to win that one.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Oops. That's what I meant. That I wouldn't be surprised with any outcome in any of the series except FLA-NJ because I think NJ is a lock to win that one.
Ahhh ok. Yeah, I do too..unfortunately. Makes my wife happy though!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Leetch66

Pens will roll over the Flyers just like we have all season . We just have to hope that Crosby , Malkin and Letang get bruised up somewhat after countless bodychecks by the Flyers . I assume if we win...and the Penguins win and barring any other upsets that we will meet them in 2nd rd ??? That will be a hard series for us...but with some nice bounces we should be able to hold our own against them .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Pens will roll over the Flyers just like we have all season . We just have to hope that Crosby , Malkin and Letang get bruised up somewhat after countless bodychecks by the Flyers . I assume if we win...and the Penguins win and barring any other upsets that we will meet them in 2nd rd ??? That will be a hard series for us...but with some nice bounces we should be able to hold our own against them .
Nope. We'd face them in the ECF, because I'm picking Boston to win vs. the Craps, and the Devils to have an easy time with the Cats. So we'd face the Devils in the 2nd round. Pittsburgh would have to get by Boston.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:23 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

The deal with the Sens during the regular season is that they were offensively productive, but defensively lacking

the Sens were very good on the road and poor at home

and depth is an issue for Ottawa too

Kuba, Gonchar and Phillips are also old.
Gonchar is 37
Kuba 35 and
Phillips is 34

can you imagine the field day the Canadian press would have if NY went into the series sporting grey beards like that ?

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Nyrvana

Experts? Who cares? I'm more concerned with all the hate the Rangers are getting on the main boards. No one is "scared" of us, and they are treating us like a joke. I really hope we come out flying in the playoffs.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:19 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Experts? Who cares? I'm more concerned with all the hate the Rangers are getting on the main boards. No one is "scared" of us, and they are treating us like a joke. I really hope we come out flying in the playoffs.
Ha, yeah, I just finished reading the rangers overachieving thread. Funny stuff.

Thursday couldn't get here soon enough.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:25 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Nope. We'd face them in the ECF, because I'm picking Boston to win vs. the Craps, and the Devils to have an easy time with the Cats. So we'd face the Devils in the 2nd round. Pittsburgh would have to get by Boston.
And this is exactly why the #1 seed was so important.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:13 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
ahhhahahaha, cant stop laughing at this!

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Perhaps he should try 720 degrees instead!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I don't mind the lower expectations.
Rangers do best when they're not expected to. They fail when the expectations are higher.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote