HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

The AHL is a complete joke (Rant)...

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Papadice

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Papadice
I cannot believe that with all of the hype that has been created by this that there is not a clip of this floating around the net anywhere... I for one, and by the sound of it, many others, have yet to see the clip of Harding getting smoked... Any help guys?

Old
12-03-2004, 09:41 AM
strib

And do you guys think if it was anyone but Harding or a few other of Doobies favorites this would even be a topic? It was a bad hit but there have been replays on Sportsnet and TSN the past few days. It looked like Taffe at the last minute tried to pull back from the contact. That's probably why he got the four games. Not even in the same ballpark as the Perezhokin hit.

Old
12-03-2004, 11:12 AM
ceber

Grade 3 concussion is pretty severe for your average "pulled back from" hit. Plus, you're looking at just seconds left in the game, and Harding's a goalie, not a skater. Comparing it to stick swinging incidents and other skater-on-skater hits isn't relevant, IMO. Like it or not, goalies aren't fair game, and therefore their equipment isn't designed to protect them from heavy body contact, especially the back of the helmet.

4 games seems a bit light to me, and I'd be concerned about sending a "somewhat open season on goalies" message if I worked in the AHL offices.

Old
12-03-2004, 12:05 PM
vduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18
Yea, its Reitz's fault, don't blame Taffe at all. Reitz should get 10+ games for beating Taffe to a pulp as well.

Taffe didn't get the beating that he really deserved. And I personally was at the game and saw it first hand. You tell me how Reitz is the blame for this and how he could have vered Taffe the other direction when Taffe was in between Reitz and Harding.

gr8....maybe you are the one wearing the rose colored glasses.

strib...I think if this was done to any other goalie, this would still be a topic. How would you feel about it if it was your goalie that was taken out by a member of the opposing team? I am not saying if I am a Houston Aeros fan or not, but I wouldn't want this to happen to any other goalie either.

Last edited by vduke: 12-03-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old
12-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Jbcraig1883

I was being sarcastic. I feel that Reitz did what he was supposed to, and am glad that two penalties were later taken away from him.

Old
12-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak
Did I say that - how about you read before you post junk like this, Everyone sits there and says how could this happen and such, well if the D man, Reitz, did his job and angled Taft away from Harding there would be no problem. I also love all you not talking about him beating the lights out of Taft while he was on the ice, you want to talk about classless moves that was about as classless as you could get, oh I in most of your guys rose colored worlds that one game suspension was too much right.
Your argument about rose colored worlds is weak. I watched every Golden Gopher game Taffe played in here in MN, and have been consistently following his progress along with Westrum and Ballard who play on the same Utah team. I just feel it is asinine to believe that Reitz is at any fault in this. If someone put drugs on the table, and I was with you, and failed to take them off the table, would I be at fault if you chose to take them and get caught? Taffe ran a goalie with 4 seconds left in a game that was already won. Hustle till the final buzzer, but don't do stupid things. Thats all there is to it.

Old
12-03-2004, 01:28 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strib
And do you guys think if it was anyone but Harding or a few other of Doobies favorites this would even be a topic? It was a bad hit but there have been replays on Sportsnet and TSN the past few days. It looked like Taffe at the last minute tried to pull back from the contact. That's probably why he got the four games. Not even in the same ballpark as the Perezhokin hit.
Do you think if this was a Montreal prospect or another prospect from another team that this would get this little of publicity?

Out of Minnesota and Houston, Minnesota prospects aren't worth talking about outside their respected boards and states.

Do you think that if Lehtonen or Fleury or another big name prospect got hit like this, there wouldn't be a topic?

Old
12-03-2004, 02:40 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
You are specifially placing the blame on the defenseman who had to IDEA what the hell Taffe is doing. He could have thought Taffe was going in tight to try and pick up the puck or turn away. But instead TAFFE ran straight into the goaltender. Yeah, angle that away when you don't know what the hell Taffe is doing.

I applaud Reitz for sticking up for our players. You think that you could do something like that and not get away with it? You know how freaking scary it is to see your teammate on the ice not moving? Yeah, you teach a player not to do that by beating the crap out of him right then and there, not like Bertuzzi who came up from behind.
Once again we have people who cannot get thier facts straight, how did Taffe run STRAIGHT INTO THE GOALIE when Reitz was BETWEEN THE Two the entire way playing one on one. Obviously you don't know much about hockey from the point that the DMAN is SUPOSE to ALWAYS angle the guy away fron the net, which is something he did not do, if you need proof why was Reitz back to back with Harding, also none of you failed to note the pick that Harding threw to protect the puck behind the net, the first thing that any player thinks when in that situation (seeing the goalie throw a pick) is how do I get to the puck - by knocking him out of the way.

Old
12-03-2004, 03:19 PM
gr8haluschak

I love the comments that I have rose colored glasses, since I don't really care what happened, all I am doing is simple stating the facts anyway lets look at some suspensions here

Bertuzzi - indefinate
-Premeditaed attack (yes chasing him around the rink is showing you have intent)
-Sucker punch to head (resulting in the concussion)
-Driving Moore's head to the ice (resulting in a broken neck)

Perezoghin (sp ?) - indefinate
-Baseball two handed swing connecting to Stafford's FACE

Hatcher on Lombardi - 3 games
-Elbowing in the last moments of a loss (resulting in a concussion)

Stafford - 6 games
-Swings stick in the direction of Perezoghin
-only situation where I feel the suspension should have been longer since this started the incident and if he connected it would have a worse result that what Stafford received

Turco high sticks Smyth - 4 games
-He, for a lack of better word, flicks Smythin the face with his stick

Weight crosschecks Sedin - 4 games
-Crosscheck to the face

Hatcher hit on Roenick - 7 games
-Hatcher leaves his feet and runs his elbow into JR's Face (resulting in a broken jaw)

C Lemieux on Draper - 2 games
-Boards Draper (resulting in fractured jaw)
-THe other suspension that was not fair

McSorley - rest of season
-High stick (results in Brasheir suffering a concussion)

Ruslin Salei hit on Modano
-Check from behind (resulting in neck injuries)

After looking at these FACTS Taffe got what he deserved. The end result was far more serious than Weight and Turco incidents and FAR less serious than Bertuzzi and Perezoghin and it was slightly less than the Roenick result.

For those that still think that he should get the same as Perzoghin asnswer this what are you thinking. Lets look at the incidents - one was a baseball like swing with at stick TO THE FACE while the other was a PUNCH TO THE BACK OF THE HEAD atleast there is minimal padding in the glove and there was at least some protection, minimal but there was some, unlike a SOLID stick and no protection to the face. What would you rather have done to you ? I know first hand what it is like to be suckerpunched in the back of the head during a game and I would not trade what Harding got for what happened to Stafford, and I am sure he would not either.

Old
12-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

It's interesting no one who saw the game mentioned that D.Boogaard received a penalty earlier in the 3rd period for running the Grizzlie goalie.

Is it possible that Taffe's run at Harding was an attempt at payback for Boogaard's penalty earlier in the period. It certainly seems as if that (as well as the frustration of losing) may have played a part in Taffe's decision to take a little run at Harding.

In any event, given Taffe's style of play, it certainly seems to be a bit judgemental to think that he was intentionally trying to injure Harding.

Like so many times before in hockey, this seems like another example of a hit (based on frustration, not intent to injure) which resulted in a much worse situation than intended. That being the case, there a plenty of examples of similar actions which resulted in suspensions which 'seem' to be a bit leniant.

Time to move on & hope Harding makes a full recovery.

Old
12-07-2004, 04:12 PM
vduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaful
It's interesting no one who saw the game mentioned that D.Boogaard received a penalty earlier in the 3rd period for running the Grizzlie goalie.

Is it possible that Taffe's run at Harding was an attempt at payback for Boogaard's penalty earlier in the period. It certainly seems as if that (as well as the frustration of losing) may have played a part in Taffe's decision to take a little run at Harding.

In any event, given Taffe's style of play, it certainly seems to be a bit judgemental to think that he was intentionally trying to injure Harding.

Like so many times before in hockey, this seems like another example of a hit (based on frustration, not intent to injure) which resulted in a much worse situation than intended. That being the case, there a plenty of examples of similar actions which resulted in suspensions which 'seem' to be a bit leniant.

Time to move on & hope Harding makes a full recovery.
Boogaard did receive a penalty for running into their goalie, but the fact is that Boogaard was pushed into the Utah goalie by another player. The bad thing about the whole event it Josh still doesn't remember the game or the hit and it was been 10 days since the hit occurred. I know this because I spoke with him the other day in the stands at the game in Houston.

Old
01-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Karma has served justice. Jeff Taffe will miss 6 weeks because of a fractured bone around his left eye after being struck by a punch thrown by Manchester's Joe Ruiller last week. I say justice is served, not by the injury, but by the fact that he won't see the ice for 6 weeks. Strange that one guy can do what the leagues front office didn't have the guts to do.

Old
01-03-2005, 10:14 PM
London Knights

Tellqvist was run earlier in the year and given a concussion and no suspension was assessed on the play. I can't remember whether he ended up missing 2 or 3 weeks because of the concussion.

Closed Thread