HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official 2012 Draft Thread: Part VII | OILERS WIN THE LOTTERY!

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
If the Oilers are so lucky as to win the lottery tonight, I think it settles a lot of issues:

-A potential elite LW (Smyth's on the decline from there, Paajarvi may never reach that.)

-What to do with center (Nothing; Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky is a dynamite second line.)

-What to do on defense (FA or trade. Drafting a stud just isn't the cards.)
I would argue that it would be a mistake for the Oilers to keep the first and draft Yakupov.

The last thing this team needs is more of the same thing.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
If we win the lottery for first overall,

edm 1st + Lander for cbj 1st + johansen?

probably not fair, but dont think we really need yakupov. I'd rather have Murray+

Old
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He's pretty much played at RW exclusively in the OHL and internationally.

I wouldn't call him a LW just yet.
His style of play involves driving up the middle of the ice and finding pucks in the high slot; as a lefty shot, I can't see why he couldn't adjust to the left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I would argue that it would be a mistake for the Oilers to keep the first and draft Yakupov.

You can have too many 40-goal scorers?

Old
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post

probably not fair, but dont think we really need yakupov. I'd rather have Murray+
dont think columbus will jumping to overpay to move back up and select a russian.

they might almost be hoping for a loss.

must

wait

hours

to see if i get to start throwing all kinds of random trade proposals for the 1st OA. until then its futile.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I'm definitely less excited about this year's lottery compared to the previous two. I wanted so badly to win the lottery so we could get Hall and RNH. This year.. its almost like.. 'mehhhh.. if we win we win.. if not, no big deal'. For some reason, Yakupov is not a big draw for me as Hall/RNH were. But having said that, I'd probably still be jumping tonight if we win.
i also felt the last 2 years that we as fans deserved the 1st overall pick as our team was garbage... while the results werent much different we saw glipses of the future this season, hence finishing 2nd last instead of last. I dont feel that entitlement to the 1st overall like i did the last 2 years.

hope we win the lottery Yakupov > the rest

Old
04-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Koto

Quote:
His style of play involves driving up the middle of the ice and finding pucks in the high slot; as a lefty shot, I can't see why he couldn't adjust to the left side.

dimishing returns on great wingers versus giant holes for defensemen who can get them the puck.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:07 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post

yeah more goals and offence would be debilitating

Old
04-10-2012, 01:10 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post

If you were Columbus would you trade Grigorenko and Johansen for Yakupov and Lander?

In other words a #1 Center and #2 Center for a #1 Winger and #3 Center.....not quite fair value.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:10 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
dimishing returns on great wingers versus giant holes for defensemen who can get them the puck.
Name a defenseman we can't trade hall for. We don't want to, but his value is through the roof. If yakupov is anything like hall and rnh, pick the one you like the least and pick the defencemen you like the most....done deal. Honestly, who couldn't hall or rnh fetch? Doughty? Webber? Pietrangelo? I mean we're talking preference, but you go yakupov with the first pick and enjoy the ride

Old
04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
GMofOilers

Im a huge Murray fan so would I take Nail at #1? Probably but it would be really close for me, the ideal situation is us to keep the #2 spot and pick Murray. The kid is going help teams win cups the same way Toews helped his team win a cup. Hes special.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Name a defenseman we can't trade hall for. We don't want to, but his value is through the roof. If yakupov is anything like hall and rnh, pick the one you like the least and pick the defencemen you like the most....done deal. Honestly, who couldn't hall or rnh fetch? Doughty? Webber? Pietrangelo? I mean we're talking preference, but you go yakupov with the first pick and enjoy the ride
rather than showing me that you understand certain guys are unavailable, why dont you actually try to suggest who would be available?

probably not as great as you think.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
rather than showing me that you understand certain guys are unavailable, why dont you actually try to suggest who would be available?

probably not as great as you think.
So if a proven NHLer taken 1st overall can't net this elite D-man, why do you think an unproven one could?

Old
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

Yet the team will still be lacking a good 2nd line center and 1st pairing defenseman which are the most pressing needs.

I know that common knowledge is always draft BPA at #1 but i think this is a special situation for the Oilers since the team has so many needs none of which would be addressed with drafting Yakupov although 2nd line scoring on the wing is important, it's just the least of the most important needs.
Also, they will be holding all the cards with that pick and could get a very nice package for that pick and possibly fill 2 needs in one trade with the player they draft and whoever they get in the package in addition to the pick.

Do you have confidence that the Oilers could so easily get a top pairing defenseman or especially top 6 center on the FA/trade market? If so, i would like to hear your solutions. Which of these top players would sign with the Oilers and which assets do the Oilers have to trade for a top player? IMO the likely answer is none and none.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Grigorenko:

Good lord, if that's what he actually said then I have lost all interest in him. He won't survive in the western conference with an attitude like that.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
DousedInOil

We got this in the can, tanking for Monahan.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He's pretty much played at RW exclusively in the OHL and internationally.

I wouldn't call him a LW just yet.
you would think that one of hemsky, eberle or yakupov would be able to move over to the left side.... i certainly wouldn't pass up on yakupov just because he plays RW, where we have 2 top-6 guys already .... if need be, you trade hemsky to make room

i really think one of them would be able to play the other side though

Old
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
win the derby for kerby

Old
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Nail Yakupov
Russian Rocket 2.0

If Yakupov is on the board you have to take him.... no ifs ands or buts. He's BPA, and he's an asset. He has goal scorer written all over him.

I could see it now, we pass on Yakupov to take Murray who wont make an impact till another couple years while Yakupov is destroying the league on another team.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

If we did end up with Yakupov... I'd move Hemsky to LW. I'd also play them together on the 2nd unit and hope Hemsky finds Yakupov with regularity with the cross-ice one-timers.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
exactly... the return on any of the "big 4" (if we got yakupov it would become the "big 4" overnight) would be almost anything we wanted... it would be a short list of dmen we couldn't trade one of them for

take BPA, always, every time, 100% of the time.... and yakupov is the BPA, and it's not even close

Old
04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
DousedInOil

Ryan Murray coming on the team 1260 next. Should send in some good questions.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:41 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
If we did end up with Yakupov... I'd move Hemsky to LW. I'd also play them together on the 2nd unit and hope Hemsky finds Yakupov with regularity with the cross-ice one-timers.
hemsky would be my choice for the move to LW as well... he's the most experienced so would likely have the easiest time with it.... yakupov plays on his off-wing (left handed shot on the RW) so is perfectly situated for one-timers... hemsky is still a sublime passer, so this is a combo that would likely work very well... it would also keep yakupov and hall off the same line, as i'm not sure they would work on the same line

hall - RNH - eberle
hemsky - gagner - yakupov

while thats a smallish top-6, it's *ridiculously* talented

edit: jeez, i've just drifted off into la-la-land dreaming about the offence this top-6 would provide, lol.... 3 guys (hall, eberle, yakupov) that should be almost locks for 30+ goals each year and 2 passers (hemsky and RNH) feeding them the biscuit.... a guy can dream, a guy can dream

Last edited by jadeddog: 04-10-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old
04-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
IF by some remote chance we end up with Yakupov, wouldn't it just make more sense to roll 3(ish) scoring lines with a disgusting RWs?

Chicago had Kane-Hossa down the RW side when they won.

No need to be changing player positions right away.

04-10-2012, 01:42 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yet the team will still be lacking a good 2nd line center and 1st pairing defenseman which are the most pressing needs.
We can keep 1/2 of that out of this thread; the Gagner discussion is occurring elsewhere.

As for a 1st pairing defenseman...

Quote:
Do you have confidence that the Oilers could so easily get a top pairing defenseman or especially top 6 center on the FA/trade market? If so, i would like to hear your solutions. Which of these top players would sign with the Oilers and which assets do the Oilers have to trade for a top player? IMO the likely answer is none and none.
So, again, there's a fairly blatant paradox on display here: you claim the Oilers don't have the assets to trade for a top player. Let's say they use the 1st overall on Yakupov. That would make an Eberle or Hall expendable. If neither asset is good enough to trade for a top-tier defender, why would the unproven 1st overall be?

Old
04-10-2012, 01:44 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
hemsky would be my choice for the move to LW as well... he's the most experienced so would likely have the easiest time with it.... yakupov plays on his off-wing (left handed shot on the RW) so is perfectly situated for one-timers... hemsky is still a sublime passer, so this is a combo that would likely work very well... it would also keep yakupov and hall off the same line, as i'm not sure they would work on the same line

hall - RNH - eberle
hemsky - gagner - yakupov

while thats a smallish top-6, it's *ridiculously* talented
I do like the option of keeping the RWs RWs:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
PF UFA/Trade-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

I just don't know who might be available to fill that 2nd line spot. Clarke MacArthur?

Closed Thread