HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next game - Vs Baltimore | Fri Apr 13 @ 4:00pm PT/7:00pm ET | B. Morrow vs T. Hunter

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 02:04 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I love Alvarez, but I was concerned with what I saw from Drabek. He didn't make it through the sixth inning and walked three batters in just over five innings. I have to keep telling myself it was the Red Sox and he shut them down and issuing a few walks it pretty much par for the course against the Sox.
Red Sox are really good at drawing walks. Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youkilis, probably even Papi just battle every at bat, so a walk is very likely.

Drabek was good, and he'll continue to improve IMO. He still strides a bit to first base, but that comes with repetition.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Yes! Time to murder some cream puffs! LOL
Ya, let's amp up this rivalry.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Clark4Ever

The Jays bats haven't even come close to waking up yet but they have found a way to capitalize on their limited opportunities with runners in scoring position, which is encouraging.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
Ya, let's amp up this rivalry.
Wasn't it two years ago that the Jays won all but one or two games vs. the Orioles?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Swervin81
UNLEASH THE DIRTY

Big win

Old
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Wasn't it two years ago that the Jays won all but one or two games vs. the Orioles?
I dont' want to get too cocky because anything can happen in a given game, but the Jays have had a historical dominance over the O's in the last decade or so.

Old
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
The Jays bats haven't even come close to waking up yet but they have found a way to capitalize on their limited opportunities with runners in scoring position, which is encouraging.
If there is a disappointment in this series it was Jose Bautista. He looked utterly lost at the plate, but I think he's close to breaking out.

Yesterday he was swinging and missing at everything. Today I noticed he was fouling more balls off. Hopefully a dose of Oriole pitching will get him in a groove.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Ya, I think they went 16-2 against them that season. I really just want the jays to have a rival that cares, and since the Orioles are awful I want to turn the usually somewhat tepid games into a hate-fest.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Auzzie19

Jays gonna dominate orioles. Oriole's starter?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I dont' want to get too cocky because anything can happen in a given game, but the Jays have had a historical dominance over the O's in the last decade or so.
What a sad case that team has become. They used to be a powerhouse and have morphed into something of a baseball version of the New York Islanders.

I remember how much respect I had for the owner of the Orioles when he refused to employ replacement players during the strike of 1994/95. But, wow, he has driven his team into the ground.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
What a sad case that team has become. They used to be a powerhouse and have morphed into something of a baseball version of the New York Islanders.
That's a good analogy. Peter Angelos is baseball's version of Charles Wang. Meddling owners rarely result in good teams.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:14 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
They have a bunch of scrubs

Old
04-11-2012, 02:17 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
Tommy Hunter on Saturday, Jason Hammel on Saturday and Brian Matusz on Sunday. Not exactly Cy Young candidates.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonMushroom View Post
That's a good analogy. Peter Angelos is baseball's version of Charles Wang. Meddling owners rarely result in good teams.
I find it amazing to compare them with the Jays. Both teams have been non-contenders for essentially the same time period. But over the past three seasons the Jays have concentrated on rebuilding their farm system via the draft and the international market while also focusing acquiring young major league players with controllable contracts. The Jays are now seen as an organization on the verge of breaking out with young talent spread throughout its system.

The Orioles, well, they still stink and have nothing in their system. I find it fascinating.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Orioles website doesn't seem to list probables for the upcoming series.

ESPN lists probables for their schedule, so if that's to be believed, we'll see Tommy Hunter in game 1, Jason Hammel in game 2, ad Brian Matusz in game 3.

Of course, they also still list that Joel Carreno will pitch game 2 for Toronto, so....

But, if we take the Orioles probables as correct and adjust for what we know the Jays will do, we're getting:

Morrow vs Hunter, Alvarez vs Hammel, and Drabek vs Matusz

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonMushroom View Post
Tommy Hunter on Saturday, Jason Hammel on Saturday and Brian Matusz on Sunday. Not exactly Cy Young candidates.
I was reading my Sports Illustrated baseball preview between innings today and it said the Orioles decision to trade Jeremy Guthrie (their one reliable starter) for Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom was the worst trade of the off season.

Hammel's ERA in the NL was almost 5.00 and now he is in the AL East?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:23 PM
weems

Quote:
I find it amazing to compare them with the Jays. Both teams have been non-contenders for essentially the same time period. But over the past three seasons the Jays have concentrated on rebuilding their farm system via the draft and the international market while also focusing acquiring young major league players with controllable contracts. The Jays are now seen as an organization on the verge of breaking out with young talent spread throughout its system.

The Orioles, well, they still stink and have nothing in their system. I find it fascinating.
I wouldnt say they have nothing. They got 2 elite prospects in Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy, but ya there farm system really isnt very good.

This many years of losing and there rotation is still laughable. They dont even have one established starter.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:38 PM
GeneralSwell

The biggest surprise for me so far this season has been the defence. It has been incredible! What a boost to the team so far.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
LloydChristmas*

Can anyone imagine this team minus Drabek and plus Halladay... :| Not that I regret the trade, and not that I don't think it was necessary. Just daydreaming.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
Can anyone imagine this team minus Drabek and plus Halladay... :| Not that I regret the trade, and not that I don't think it was necessary. Just daydreaming.
This team would prolly look differently if Halladay was never traded.

We prolly dont trade Marcum for Lawrie for one

Old
04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:

Who in their right mind is comparing the Orioles to the Jays?! I mean, it's fair that they've both accomplished nothing in the AL East for at least a decade, but realistically the comparison ends there.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
Minus Drabek, AND Brett Wallace (flipped for Gose), AND Travis d'Arnaud.

It was heartbreaking to say the least. I'm still surprised at the value we got considering how he was being dangled left right and center rather than playing it cool.

Anyways, this discussion should really be taken to the other thread since it's not game related.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralSwell View Post
The biggest surprise for me so far this season has been the defence. It has been incredible! What a boost to the team so far.
Colby has been dynamite in Centre field, and Brett has been a vacuum at third.

Maybe that'll be the surprise story of the year?

Old
04-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 50
Quote:
If there is a disappointment in this series it was Jose Bautista. He looked utterly lost at the plate, but I think he's close to breaking out.

Yesterday he was swinging and missing at everything. Today I noticed he was fouling more balls off. Hopefully a dose of Oriole pitching will get him in a groove.
Looked like he was just a bit anxious to get going. He'll settle down against the O's rotation. I predict a couple Bombs in this series.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Whoops. 1000 posts.

Closed Thread