Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Yeah, Morreale other than Rielly to Anaheim (if I had to pick one player Anaheim won't draft, would be Rielly) isn't bad in the top 10. I disagree with Galchenyuk to Columbus, but it's still realistic. I can't see Ceci over Trouba (11?) and Reinhart though. The later parts of the draft are always much more of a toss up, but Collberg at 25? No Aberg in the first? Frk at 20? Wilson at 16?
Yeah, outside of the top 10, I'd say it's pointless to even guess. Each team's pick is going to change depending on who falls.

The reason I see Galchenyuk going to Columbus is because he has superstar potential. His ceiling is arguably the highest in the 2012 draft, and I could see Columbus (for better or worse) taking the chance on him just like they did with Filatov.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:02 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
You forgot a year.

2008-09 = 356
In hits per game (I'm assuming you guys have accurate hits numbers):

08-09: 4.564
09-10: 4.297
10-11: 4.421
11-12: 3.892

If you see a trend in those numbers, it's because you're looking for something and modifying the results to prove it. Could it be the start of a trend? Sure, but there's no data to support such an assumption. If he puts in another year sub-4.0 hits per game, you can start making that accusation.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Even if he dips below 4 hits-per-game, Clutterbuck is still a great 3rd liner who's top 5 in hits.

Not to mention he's a 3rd rounder for Pete's sake. Don't expect him to exceed expectations forever.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:10 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
If you see a trend in those numbers, it's because you're looking for something and modifying the results to prove it. Could it be the start of a trend? Sure, but there's no data to support such an assumption. If he puts in another year sub-4.0 hits per game, you can start making that accusation.
I'm sorry, but I had to have a little chuckle. The numbers speak for themselves. The trend is in plain sight, and it's not a positive slope.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:11 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I had to have a little chuckle. The numbers speak for themselves. The trend is in plain sight, and it's not a positive slope.
You know how I know you failed every math and statistics class you ever took?

Old
04-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Granlund 64

So who's the favorite out of the dmen on these boards? I kind of like what I'm seeing of Mathew Dumba

Old
04-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Doesn't look very subjective with Dustin Brown. Last four seasons: 285, 287, 300, 293.
I'm not sure what this tells us except Dustin Brown maintains a consistency around what is Clutterbuck's worst year (statistacally). If Clutterbuck maintains a level at ~ 300 and keeps popping in the 15 or so goals per year, I'm fine with it.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
So who's the favorite out of the dmen on these boards? I kind of like what I'm seeing of Mathew Dumba
My completely ignorant ranking is as follows...

1. Murray
2. Trouba
3. Rielly
4. Dumba
5. Ceci
6. Reinhart

Old
04-12-2012, 11:18 PM
forthewild

Didn't clutterbuck say he was trying to adjust to Shanaban and didn't want to get suspended because guys were turning their backs to him? not to mention the injuries as well.

out of the mock drafts, man i dont like who we end up with at all, just don't like either of those 3 guys, i guess out of them i'm ok with Faksa given that he is back and i do hope is done with any concussion issues.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:21 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
My ranking for "favorite" dmen:

1. Rielly
2. Dumba
3. Trouba
4. Murray
5. Ceci
6. Reinhart

My ranking for "order I would draft them in:"

1. Dumba
2. Rielly
3. Murray
4. Trouba
5. Reinhart
6. Ceci

My ranking for "order I expect them to be drafted:"

1. Murray
2. Dumba
3. Reinhart
4. Trouba
5. Rielly
6. Ceci

Old
04-12-2012, 11:22 PM
mnwildgophers

Why aren't you a fan of Murray?

Old
04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
If Clutterbuck maintains a level at ~ 300 and keeps popping in the 15 or so goals per year, I'm fine with it.
I would be too, but I don't see it happening. His smaller stature may already be catching up to him.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
I would be too, but I don't see it happening. His smaller stature may already be catching up to him.
I guess I haven't seen anything that would lead me say otherwise. I realize he's on the smaller side, but he knows what he has to do to stay in the league. He stops hitting, he stops playing. He's not going to change his style, so the only way it stops would be injuries.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Why aren't you a fan of Murray?
I'm not a fan of Murray for this team. If our defense looked more like Edmonton, I'd have him higher. I view him as maxing out as a #2 defenseman because of how he appears to think the game. If you're picking a guy in the top 7, I can't justify picking up a guy who I don't believe will be a #1 in his position on his NHL team.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Murray for this team. If our defense looked more like Edmonton, I'd have him higher. I view him as maxing out as a #2 defenseman because of how he appears to think the game. If you're picking a guy in the top 7, I can't justify picking up a guy who I don't believe will be a #1 in his position on his NHL team.
I've read that Dumba compares favorably to Dion Phaneuf. I haven't seen a lot of Dumba; is that a fair comparison?

Old
04-12-2012, 11:29 PM
forthewild

looking more at those mocks, i would take trouba for this team over teuvo, radek and dumba. man i get this rotten feeling in my gut about dumba, i don't know much on him but i just don't feel good about him at all. i know its sound logic.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:36 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
looking more at those mocks, i would take trouba for this team over teuvo, radek and dumba. man i get this rotten feeling in my gut about dumba, i don't know much on him but i just don't feel good about him at all. i know its sound logic.
I wouldn't make the same selections, but I do know the feeling about Dumba. I just don't like the idea of picking him. I don't want to, but if he's there and Galchenyuk/Grigorenko aren't, I think we need to pick him.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I've read that Dumba compares favorably to Dion Phaneuf. I haven't seen a lot of Dumba; is that a fair comparison?
Dumba doesn't have the size to really be compared to Phaneuf. Kronwall is probably a better comparable for size and play. That's not to say he will or will not become the same as Kronwall, but he's probably the best player to think of.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:41 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I can see that, I guess that from the very little I've read on him it seems that his offensive game might leave little to be desired. I agree with that philosophy in that we need to go for a higher end player that could be a possible #1. I think that guy is Dumba, but I get the concerns about him. I just think his skillset would compliment a guy like Brodin.

Old
04-13-2012, 12:52 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Minnesota likes good skaters and smart players; Dumba fits that...hell all the defense fit that.

Personally trade with Washington. They get Forsberg or Grigs or whoever (Russians have no problems in Washington). Minnesota gets the 11th and whatever pick. Pick Maata (he fits Minnesota. Finnish and has had a concussion already) and whoever.

Last edited by thestonedkoala: 04-13-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Minnesota likes good skaters and smart players; Dumba fits that...hell all the defense fit that.

Personally trade with Washington. They get Forsberg or Grigs or whoever (Russians have no problems in Washington). Minnesota gets the 11th and whatever pick. Pick Maata (he fits Minnesota. Finnish and has had a concussion already) and whoever.
Dumba's biggest weakness is being overaggressive and getting caught out of position. Not sure I'd necessarily call that "smart," but his skills are unique.

Also, what does being Finnish and having a concussion have to do with Minnesota? We don't give preferential treatment to Finns. Realistically, we have more Canadians than anything.

I think we'll take someone with leadership qualities. It really seems to be the drafting trend since Fletcher became GM.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:18 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Dumba's biggest weakness is being overaggressive and getting caught out of position. Not sure I'd necessarily call that "smart," but his skills are unique.

I think we'll take someone with leadership qualities. It really seems to be the drafting trend since Fletcher became GM.
Actually Minnesota tends to draft very smart, cerebral players. Brodin, Granlund, Phillips. Guys with good hockey sense. They don't have to have size but they need to get out a jam and quickly.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Actually Minnesota tends to draft very smart, cerebral players. Brodin, Granlund, Phillips. Guys with good hockey sense. They don't have to have size but they need to get out a jam and quickly.
I agree. I'm just saying Dumba doesn't fit that mold. He plays a very risky style of defense. A very good counter-balance to Brodin's conservative, smart style of defense.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I'd rather see us trade up than down. Now that we have some solid prospects coming in, we are looking for quality over quantity.

I could see us taking Dumba. I don't think him or Murray will make it that far. The top 4 forwards will be gone before we pick. Leaving us a good crop of d to choose from.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:28 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I'd rather see us trade up than down. Now that we have some solid prospects coming in, we are looking for quality over quantity.

I could see us taking Dumba. I don't think him or Murray will make it that far. The top 4 forwards will be gone before we pick. Leaving us a good crop of d to choose from.
I rather trade down. Outside the top 4-5? It becomes REALLLLLLLLLLLY muddled between around 6-15.

I've seen drafts with Reilly, Dumba, Trouba, Ceci and Reinhart all vying for around 4-15.

If someone gets enamored with a prospect, we should move down.

The problem is, quality in this draft could be the 19th pick and the coal could be the 6th pick. It's really jumbled. I rather have some more rolls to the dice.

Closed Thread