Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
Hi. I wrote about Jacob Trouba in FRB's "7 For 7" series.

Read it with your face.
Very good read.

I agree very much that Trouba seems to possess the abilities that this management team seems to love. While I wish he had a little more offensive upside, I do like the fact that he does not seem to have any major questions or weaknesses in his game.

Trouba is a very realistic expectation for #7 and he's at the top of my wish list.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Hey there!

Nate and I also covered Morgan Rielly for our "7 For 7" series at First Round Bust.

Read it multiple times!

Old
06-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Wait, wait, wait! I thought Wild fans didn't want an offensive defenseman. Because they don't want Mike Green? Or at least taking a gamble on him.
We would need to give up blue chip prospects. Definite no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Reinhart is one of those "has all the tools, but can he find a toolbox" type prospects. If he could ever manage to put everything together, he'd be the best defenseman to come out of this draft without question. However, whether or not he can put things together is a huge question mark. Even if he never manages to get any better than he is right at this moment, there's a good chance he can hold his own as a 6-7 defenseman so the usual boom-bust fears are dampened slightly.
Reminds me of Colton Gillies.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
Hey there!

Nate and I also covered Morgan Rielly for our "7 For 7" series at First Round Bust.

Read it multiple times!
And then tell a friend. You have friends right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
We would need to give up blue chip prospects. Definite no.

Reminds me of Colton Gillies.
Wouldn't go that far. There is something with the size and skillset which would make Reinhart a quintessential Risebrough pick but that's where the similarities end.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-12-2012, 08:50 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Fairly sure if you post on the intrawebz, you have no friends.

Also, just for the hell of it, my top 7 looks like this:
1. Nail Yakupov
2. Filip Forsberg
3. Alex Galchenyuk
4. Ryan Murray
5. Teuvo Teravainen
6. Mathew Dumba
7. Morgan Rielly

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 250
Anyone know how Rielly hurt his knee?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:03 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Anyone know how Rielly hurt his knee?
Went into the net oddly.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
you have some sort of bandwidth throttle on that thing? can't get on.
just spin spin spin.
I am talking about he FRB site.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
you have some sort of bandwidth throttle on that thing? can't get on.
just spin spin spin.
I am talking about he FRB site.
No clue. I can get on.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:46 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Fairly sure if you post on the intrawebz, you have no friends.

Also, just for the hell of it, my top 7 looks like this:
1. Nail Yakupov
2. Filip Forsberg
3. Alex Galchenyuk
4. Ryan Murray
5. Teuvo Teravainen
6. Mathew Dumba
7. Morgan Rielly
I can totally see this but faksa at 6. Burke I have a feeling will like that kid.

God I want grigorenko to be available at 7 so Washington can pony up.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Haite
x

There's an Official Heights and Weights from 2012 Combine thread on the prospect board now.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Reinhart is one of those "has all the tools, but can he find a toolbox" type prospects. If he could ever manage to put everything together, he'd be the best defenseman to come out of this draft without question. However, whether or not he can put things together is a huge question mark. Even if he never manages to get any better than he is right at this moment, there's a good chance he can hold his own as a 6-7 defenseman so the usual boom-bust fears are dampened slightly.
What would make him the best defenseman to come out of the draft aside from his height though? What's his ceiling and how is it going to be higher than say Trouba, Dumba, or Rielly? Or Murray for that matter?

Old
06-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
There's an Official Heights and Weights from 2012 Combine thread on the prospect board now.
Dumba 5'11.5 184

There you go. Not undersized at all. He's 5-10 pounds away from Kronwall and the same height, who's probably his closest comparable.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
No Gopher. All we have is you (me).

Old
06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
nickschultzfan

Faksa could easly be this year's Scheifele or Johansen. Guys with his ceiling are extremely hard to find and are very valuable to their team.

Montreal, Toronto, and Ducks might all be interested in him as an alternative to Grigorenko. .

Old
06-13-2012, 10:07 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Dumba 5'11.5 184

There you go. Not undersized at all. He's 5-10 pounds away from Kronwall and the same height, who's probably his closest comparable.
I just don't see dumba being that good in the NHL, plus if our scouting staff has seen him and have any fear of him being weak in his zone, of making bad decisions, do we really want a more physical zidz with a way better name to use in a bad way?

Old
06-13-2012, 10:18 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Dumba 5'11.5 184

Well, if Dumba is Kronwall 2.0, that's not exactly the guy I want at #7. I think that's a really good comparison. Don't get me wrong, Kronwall is a great player. But he's not a top pairing kind of guy. He's like a really good 2nd pairing Dman.

But when you are picking #7 overall, you want a guy who maxes out as a top line/pairing talent. I think that's more Trouba, Reilly, and even Grigorenko than Dumba.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
What's the consensus on future Gopher Brady Skjei?

I've read he's a great skater with a great shot, perhaps a tad soft and prone to errors.

Any chance he slides into the 2nd?

Old
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
What's the consensus on future Gopher Brady Skjei?

I've read he's a great skater with a great shot, perhaps a tad soft and prone to errors.

Any chance he slides into the 2nd?

Dan Shrader (firstroundbust) did a write-up that involved Skeji

Quoted from earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Dan's not Skeji's biggest fan (hey that rhymed) although other people I have spoken with sing his praises; especially on his shot and skating.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Kronwall's a second pairing defensemen? Right.

Looking at Reinhart, his height, frame, and junior numbers are in line with Weber and Seabrook. Would Seabrook be considered a #1 type defenseman? I think that'd be more realistic than the Weber comparison, but I'm not a scout.

So if we're talking comparable ceilings...

Reilly ~ Mike Green
Dumba ~ Niklas Kronwall
Reinhart ~ Brent Seabrook
Trouba ~ Erik Johnson
Murray ~ Duncan Keith

Old
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
I'd love to have Mike Green, just not for > $6M on the open market or having to give up whatever it would cost to get him via trade.
Depends. Capitals MIGHT have to move him and like Latendresse he has a history of injury but out to prove something. Could be an interesting move.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
What would make him the best defenseman to come out of the draft aside from his height though? What's his ceiling and how is it going to be higher than say Trouba, Dumba, or Rielly? Or Murray for that matter?
He has the size, he has the ability to hit (although right now he usually doesn't use it), he has a booming shot, he's good in his own end, and he's figuring out the offensive game. He has each of the tools that Trouba, Dumba, and Rielly excel at, but hasn't figured out how to use them properly. He plays in his own end like Trouba, can hit like Dumba, and has some of Rielly's offensive game. Phrased the other way, he has a better offensive game than Trouba, better defensive game than Dumba, and brings the physicality that Rielly lacks.

All that said, I don't want to see this organization end up with him. I'd rather not have us pick up a 5 year project at defense with a top 10 pick, especially not when someone like Rielly, Dumba, or Trouba is still on the board.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:06 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Kronwall's a second pairing defensemen? Right.

Looking at Reinhart, his height, frame, and junior numbers are in line with Weber and Seabrook. Would Seabrook be considered a #1 type defenseman? I think that'd be more realistic than the Weber comparison, but I'm not a scout.

So if we're talking comparable ceilings...

Reilly ~ Mike Green
Dumba ~ Niklas Kronwall
Reinhart ~ Brent Seabrook
Trouba ~ Erik Johnson
Murray ~ Duncan Keith
If you're going to use Keith as the comparable for Murray and EJ as the comparable for Trouba, you're best off using Weber for the Reinhart comparable. I don't know that Mike Green is a good comparable for Rielly, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a better one off the top of my head. He personally models his game after Doughty, and says that he's been compared to Keith stylistically, but I can't find the TSN video that happened in right now...

Old
06-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

I've never heard Reinhart described as physical. One of his biggest knocks is physicality and aggressiveness. Those can be learned, but I don't see Reinhart ever playing a physical game like Dumba or Trouba. It's just not his style - which is okay.

He reminds me a little of Victor Hedman.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The comparables really are hard to figure out.

Trouba has been compared to Jack Johnson, but that might be selling him a bit short. I looked at Erik Johnson because the numbers in USHL and WJC weren't too far off. Also, they both have high-end skating ability and two-way play with a physical edge. Trouba could possibly be a better defensive player (I'm not an EJ fan) but he hasn't quite shown the offensive ability that EJ did at lower levels. He might be closer to Cam Fowler, but again a bit better defensively than offensively. Maybe closer to Seabrook, but not quite as big.

I still think Trouba projects very closely with Scandella. Not quite at Seabrook's level, but a good two-way defender who would be a #2 on a bad team and a #3 on a good team.

Rielly to me is a puck rusher and PP QB, someone who just has explosive offensive ability. Mike Green seems quite similar, maybe Brian Campbell as well, although Rielly is between them size-wise. Top pairing guy who should produce offensively, defense may be a question mark down the road depending on how he adjusts to the game.

Murray would be a more smooth two-way defenseman who can constantly turn the play up ice. I went with Duncan Keith because they are similar size and both are great skaters who can handle the puck and transition defense to offense. His question marks would be if he can be a big time offensive player or just a "good" puck mover. Very low bust potential IMO.

Dumba is the explosive player who brings the offense and hitting. I just think from a size, production, and play style Niklas Kronwall is a very similar player. He also has the leadership and stamina like Kronwall. Others have said Subban and Phaneuf, but he doesn't have Phaneuf's size (and potentially strength). Question marks are his ability to play defense at the highest level.

Reinhart has the same size and frame as Weber sure, but he hasn't shown the very high end offensive ability. Granted the numbers are close, and Reinhart could be a dominant #1 player. I suppose if you're looking at all these guys and if they all hit their ceiling, you'd take Weber over Green, Keith, Kronwall, or Trouba's comparable. Question marks are his offensive ability. He could be a #1 elite defenseman like Weber, a #2 defensive guy with respectable numbers like Seabrook, or a 2nd/3rd pairing shutdown guy like Clayton Stoner (minus the physical edge).

I'd guess, if they all hit their max potential, they'd rank:

1. Reinhart
2. Murray
3. Rielly/Trouba/Dumba (really close)

The likelihood of hitting those ceilings:
1. Murray
2. Dumba
3. Rielly (only because of the injury)
4. Trouba
5. Reinhart

Putting it all together, I'd rank them:

1. Murray
2. Dumba/Rielly (a toss up for me)
4. Trouba (slightly)
5. Reinhart

*** disclaimer, all those opinions are generated by 2nd and 3rd hand accounts and my interpretation, so it's all probably incorrect

I don't really think the Wild would go terribly wrong with any of those guys to be honest. I don't think any of them have serious bust potential.

Closed Thread