Draft a defensemen. 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

vCash: 500
I highly doubt the draft is going to go like that guy predicted. I was questioning a few of his choices. First off, I see Edmonton trading down to 2 or 3 and drafting Murray.

Now I forgot the rest of his draft, but I'm almost positive one of Forsberg, Grigorenko or Galchenyuk will fall to 7.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:36 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I would just like to say, I predicted in January that Columbus would finish last and lose on the lottery because God hates 4 letter states.

Edmonton will try very hard to trade this pick to someone in the top 5 or top 10.

Old
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
I can't think of any Eddy d propects off the top of my head....Petry? Teubert? Nothing to exciting.
Klefbom. That's really about it.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
I highly doubt the draft is going to go like that guy predicted. I was questioning a few of his choices. First off, I see Edmonton trading down to 2 or 3 and drafting Murray.

Now I forgot the rest of his draft, but I'm almost positive one of Forsberg, Grigorenko or Galchenyuk will fall to 7.
Why would the Oilers trade their 1st exactly?

Old
04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Why would the Oilers trade their 1st exactly?
To get a kings ransom while still getting their guy- Murray.

Old
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Not sure which of Button's choices you would question (other than Dumba falling). I think it's extremely unlike for any of those three to fall to us. My hopes are back on Rielly. Had he played the full season like the few games he had pre-injury, he would be a guaranteed top 5 pick.

Old
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
I can't think of any Eddy d propects off the top of my head....Petry? Teubert? Nothing to exciting.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/edmonton_oilers

Old
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

They should do something around that first overall to Nashville for Weber...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Klefbom. That's really about it.
They have about a dozen prospects (Klefbom, Petry, Fedun, etc) but they're just not really any top pairing prospects. They have to draft Yakupov or trade the pick though. Those are pretty much their only options.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Why don't we want a D now?
Our D prospects are : Brodin........Seeler?
I know we haven't had a 'pure goal scorer' since gaborik, but it's not like D is a point of surplus for us.
Defense can be taught and enhanced through Yeo's system. All we need are players who are both durable and competent and our system should tighten things up. We had a stifling defense early this year with a blueline that would be more accurately described as a green line. We've got Brodin on the way and I'm sure we can find someone serviceable on the free agent market if we strike out on Suter.

Goal scoring on the other hand has been a problem ever since this franchise played game one back in year one. We just set a record for lowest goals total after the lockout, and 2nd lowest since the last round of expansions, bested only by Columbus' 164 in I think their 2nd season.

We need someone who is going to lead our offense and ignite our scoring. We're not gonna get that at the 7th pick unless one of the top forwards falls to us.

Quote:

Forberg perhaps, but I do not see Grigs or Gal being there past the top 5. I'm very very iffy on Forsberg. He's not even playing in the top tier league where he is. That sours me a little bit on him.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I would just like to say, I predicted in January that Columbus would finish last and lose on the lottery because God hates 4 letter states.

Edmonton will try very hard to trade this pick to someone in the top 5 or top 10.
I hope GMCF has a decent conversation with the Oilers even if it's highly unlikely we trade for it. You never know...they might want something that makes perfect sense for both of our clubs again.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Joffrey Lupul, Ryan Suter and Jeff Skinner were all 7th overall picks. Mark Scheifele was taken 7th overall by the Jets last year. #mnwild
http://twitter.com/#!/mnwild/status/189875492957077506

Old
04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Defense can be taught and enhanced through Yeo's system. All we need are players who are both durable and competent and our system should tighten things up. We had a stifling defense early this year with a blueline that would be more accurately described as a green line. We've got Brodin on the way and I'm sure we can find someone serviceable on the free agent market if we strike out on Suter.

Goal scoring on the other hand has been a problem ever since this franchise played game one back in year one. We just set a record for lowest goals total after the lockout, and 2nd lowest since the last round of expansions, bested only by Columbus' 164 in I think their 2nd season.

We need someone who is going to lead our offense and ignite our scoring. We're not gonna get that at the 7th pick unless one of the top forwards falls to us.
I don't think you're familiar with Morgan Rielly.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Wild to select 7th in NHL Draft

Old
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

guys, clearly the Edmonton pool of prospects is 100% better than anything out there. just like their forward prospects and their top six roster forwards. sick.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
BigT2002

I can't believe Edmonton won it again...

Old
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
I hope GMCF has a decent conversation with the Oilers even if it's highly unlikely we trade for it. You never know...they might want something that makes perfect sense for both of our clubs again.
Brodin. lol they get Brodin, Klefbom, and our #7 and you have your wish of us drafting a scoring forward. of course we have **** for D and end up looking like Eddy has looked the last couple years with their #1 picks.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Brodin. lol they get Brodin, Klefbom, and our #7 and you have your wish of us drafting a scoring forward. of course we have **** for D and end up looking like Eddy has looked the last couple years with their #1 picks.
Man, a Brodin-Klefbom pairing when those two get acclimated to the NHL would be sweet though.

And yeah, Eddy would be trading the pick because they don't want another forward, only thing we could realistically offer them is Brodin+.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I keep trying to come up with legitimate trades for the 1st round pick, and all I can come up with is Toronto moving #5 + 1 or 2 defensemen (say Franson and Blacker/Holzer) for #1. I don't think Edmonton wants to move out of the top 5-7 without an established NHL top 4 defenseman coming back, and I don't think there's anyone willing to give Edmonton what they'd want in the 8+ range.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I think Edmonton just became the #1 most despised franchise in the NHL.

What a joke.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:58 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
guys, clearly the Edmonton pool of prospects is 100% better than anything out there. just like their forward prospects and their top six roster forwards. sick.
Huh? They've got a great top six. A deadly top six. But they've got plenty of holes, and good luck to them when the ELC's run out. How many players will they have asking for $6 million or more in a cap system. They have to do a major makeover on defense, and in 2-5 years, they won't be able to afford many decent additions with the salaries they'll be paying.

They'll probably tank another year just for fun.

And another thing, they could be one major target for an offer sheet.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Huh? They've got a great top six. A deadly top six. But they've got plenty of holes, and good luck to them when the ELC's run out. How many players will they have asking for $6 million or more in a cap system. They have to do a major makeover on defense, and in 2-5 years, they won't be able to afford many decent additions with the salaries they'll be paying.

They'll probably tank another year just for fun.

And another thing, they could be one major target for an offer sheet.
I was going to say "they'll make a Kessel style trade before being hit by an offer sheet" but then I remember that they have a reputation of being an extremely poor trade partner.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Bullrun

Quote:

this...I think there will be someone falling...we'll take whoever it is.

but ive also always had this feeling like its going to be dumba...even since before the wild had a chance at him (early in the season)

Old
04-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Well, for me the draft was just the toilet flush to end this giant season of crap.

I wish I had not drank that wine the other day. I need it right now.
The draft hasn't even happened yet! Don't you want which new prospect we instill our hopes and dreams into?

Old
04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Allright, in an article I read the other day when talking about better ways to do the lottery, there was mention of a system where wins after being eliminated would be the determining factor of who picks when. I think I'm gonna walk backwards through the standings and see if I can construct this years top 14 draft order using such a system, just for comparison.

Closed Thread