Old
04-11-2012, 09:14 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
How can you be so sure about that?
Can't be certain of anything insofar as prospects are concerned, but that's where Reinhart is. He's a big guy who can skate well for his size. He doesn't hit. He's just starting to figure out the offensive end of the game. He is Justin Falk, only 5 years younger. If a team takes him along slow and develops him right, he'll probably finish figuring out the offensive end of the game, but he still doesn't hit. He just doesn't have that mean streak in him, and that's extremely hard to cultivate. You can teach a guy how to pass or shoot the puck, but it's really hard to teach a guy to look for hit.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

If it's a defenseman, I'd like it to be Dumba or Rielly (if either is available) because they do seem to have a lot of offensive upside to their game. That's what I would prefer in a defenseman if they were going to draft one highly at 7. Though, at the same token, a lot of room to swing and miss there.

Based on what I've read, I'd be slightly disappointed with a Reinhart selection. Haven't seen him play or anything though, just a feeling by reading reports.

All told, I haven't seen enough of anyone to have a real sound opinion. They'll get a strong player at this slot regardless.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
nickschultzfan

Rielly has a lot of risk to him.

Rather just target Dumba, Trouba, and Reinhart, plus Grigrenko or Galchenyuk if they drop.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Reinhart needs about 3-5 years before seeing NHL ice unless we just want Justin Falk 2.0.
I dont see why he needs that long... Im no scout, but he is putting up decent numbers and is already big enough..

He is our new #8 !!

Old
04-11-2012, 09:56 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
I dont see why he needs that long... Im no scout, but he is putting up decent numbers and is already big enough..
As I explained in the follow up post, he currently in Justin Falk, except 5 years younger. He's not going to develop an offensive game by being thrown in at the NHL level, and he has a lot of developing to do in that regard. He's just now starting to figure out how to be an offensive guy, and he doesn't have any instinct to hit at all. He's all tools, but no knowledge of how to use them. As I've been saying, he's got the potential to be far and away the best D-man in this draft, but he's so far away from that ceiling right now that I have no interest in him whatsoever.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Rielly has a lot of risk to him.

Rather just target Dumba, Trouba, and Reinhart, plus Grigrenko or Galchenyuk if they drop.
I'd take Dumba, Grigs, or Gally over Rielly, but I'm not scared enough by his injury to go with Trouba or Reinhart over him. Had he not been injured, he would have been contending to be the first defenseman off the board (we saw enough of him this season to know he wasn't going Ebert on us).

Old
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Can't be certain of anything insofar as prospects are concerned, but that's where Reinhart is. He's a big guy who can skate well for his size. He doesn't hit. He's just starting to figure out the offensive end of the game. He is Justin Falk, only 5 years younger. If a team takes him along slow and develops him right, he'll probably finish figuring out the offensive end of the game, but he still doesn't hit. He just doesn't have that mean streak in him, and that's extremely hard to cultivate. You can teach a guy how to pass or shoot the puck, but it's really hard to teach a guy to look for hit.
There must be more to his game than Falk - He's a consensus top 20 pick, whereas Falk was a 4th rounder.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
There must be more to his game than Falk - He's a consensus top 20 pick, whereas Falk was a 4th rounder.
He is, as an 18 year old, where Falk is now as a 23 year old. If he's not given plenty of time and space to develop (and it takes these sort of players a very long time to develop) he won't get better. He certainly won't get better offensively by playing against NHL competition before he's figured out his offensive game.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
Eberle is a beast. I don't know what you are talking about just okay. I would trade anyone in our organization for him straight up besides maybe Koivu, even then I would think about it.
I'm cautiously optimistic that Eberle's sophomore season wasn't an anomaly simply because of the lack of offense and go to go guys they had on offense.

Quote:
Also I wouldn't really consider Gagner a bust. He has gone over the 40 point mark for 5 straight years since hes been in the league. I mean sure it is not what you would like to see from a 6th overall pick but he is definitely a serviceable depth scorer that can play with elite talent as seen this year when he was put in between Hall and Eberle.
Gagner has been in almost every trade proposal that Edmonton has to offer. From a 6th overall player, I would like to see more of a 60 point player.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'll be satisfied with any one of Dumba, Murray, Reilly or Trouba. I'm hoping we take a d-man but won't be disappointed if we take another forward either. As long as it's not Forsberg.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I'll be satisfied with any one of Dumba, Murray, Reilly or Trouba. I'm hoping we take a d-man but won't be disappointed if we take another forward either. As long as it's not Forsberg.
Don't worry, we won't have the opportunity to draft him. I've read some articles where scouts are saying they would bet he turns out better than Grigorenko.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Don't worry, we won't have the opportunity to draft him. I've read some articles where scouts are saying they would bet he turns out better than Grigorenko.
More Columbus propaganda so they can pick him at 2.

/theorized anti-Grigorenko PR was Columbus protecting themselves for when they lose the lottery

Old
04-11-2012, 02:23 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:

/theorized anti-Grigorenko PR was Columbus protecting themselves for when they lose the lottery
You did call that whenever that article came out, nice work.

Old
04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
As I explained in the follow up post, he currently in Justin Falk, except 5 years younger. He's not going to develop an offensive game by being thrown in at the NHL level, and he has a lot of developing to do in that regard. He's just now starting to figure out how to be an offensive guy, and he doesn't have any instinct to hit at all. He's all tools, but no knowledge of how to use them. As I've been saying, he's got the potential to be far and away the best D-man in this draft, but he's so far away from that ceiling right now that I have no interest in him whatsoever.
Okey. I get your drift.

Im still stoked on him though..

Big boy, cool name and a awesome # number to replace my old favorite..

Old
04-11-2012, 06:08 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

he does have a name straight out of Harry Potter.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:21 PM
forthewild

Quote:

Ot it might be his sizw, skill, pure goal scoring talent and other abilities he possesses. I find it funny how wild posters all want a "true goal scorer" yet scoff at a guy who is that.

I feel that wild brass would have forsberg really high on their board.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:27 PM
se7en
infamous...

Im not understanding why so many people are anti-forsberg period? What is it about him that people dont like?

Old
04-11-2012, 07:34 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Ot it might be his sizw, skill, pure goal scoring talent and other abilities he possesses. I find it funny how wild posters all want a "true goal scorer" yet scoff at a guy who is that.

I feel that wild brass would have forsberg really high on their board.
8 goals in 43 games in a b-league. If here were a pure goal scorer, he'd be potting goals in the SEL. Zibanejad was considered a non-scorer with his 5 goals in 26 games in the SEL.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Im not understanding why so many people are anti-forsberg period? What is it about him that people dont like?
i thought he didnt even play in the top tier league ( i could be wrong), i think hes playing in the second tier, so hes not playing against quality players really, although he does really well when playing with his own age group

Old
04-11-2012, 08:08 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

as long as faksa is healthy, i'd consider him at 7. seems like a good TWF, can score which is what this teams needs too. otherwise maybe 1st rd draft D? then 2nd round draft a forward? hyka or stepan in the 2nd?

Old
04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
i thought he didnt even play in the top tier league ( i could be wrong), i think hes playing in the second tier, so hes not playing against quality players really, although he does really well when playing with his own age group
allsvenskan isn't really tier 2, its a league for teams that are not necessarily good enough to be in SEL (limited amount of spots, bottom two teams face relligation to the alsvenskan and teams from there can go to sel if they win) so his team isn't as big as some of the big power teams but they have an excellent junior development program, his team is the same one that produced Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

to say his competition is weak is stupid, he played vs MEN while guys like Yakupov play vs kids, no CHL team could take an Alsvenskan team and win, they would get worked hard. so his competition is better then any CHL kid faced. Look at Sain Johns, think they have some stiff competition? yeah

Forsberg has some very high end and desirable skill, he also plays vs men and put up good points for a 17 year old, he could very well put up 50-60g on a team like Kitchner like Landeskog did last year, plus he doesn't have some massive holes in his game.

he would be an excellent pick, and he has a very good chance to be a quality NHLer someone people will wish fell to us. Squidz is just being a "omg i checked his stats and know little of european leagues so he is terrible tho he's been a consensus top 5 pick all year"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HockeyAllsvenskan some explanation

for example Forsberg is playing in a higher division then Henrik zetteberg was at his age http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...er=285&lang=en

Old
04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
I don't read the Pioneer Press but a co-worker said Fletcher was quoted as saying he wanted a defenseman or he was willing to trade our pick for a defenseman.

Now, I do read Mike Russo's work for the Star Tribune almost regularly. He mentioned in his blog it was a defensive heavy draft but none of the above about Fletcher being quoted on either accord. I would also assume, if there was some rumblings, he'd also be on it.

Was my co-worker either mistaken, lying, or correct, and I just can't find the information?

Old
04-11-2012, 08:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
allsvenskan isn't really tier 2, its a league for teams that are not necessarily good enough to be in SEL (limited amount of spots, bottom two teams face relligation to the alsvenskan and teams from there can go to sel if they win) so his team isn't as big as some of the big power teams but they have an excellent junior development program, his team is the same one that produced Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

to say his competition is weak is stupid, he played vs MEN while guys like Yakupov play vs kids, no CHL team could take an Alsvenskan team and win, they would get worked hard. so his competition is better then any CHL kid faced. Look at Sain Johns, think they have some stiff competition? yeah

Forsberg has some very high end and desirable skill, he also plays vs men and put up good points for a 17 year old, he could very well put up 50-60g on a team like Kitchner like Landeskog did last year, plus he doesn't have some massive holes in his game.

he would be an excellent pick, and he has a very good chance to be a quality NHLer someone people will wish fell to us. Squidz is just being a "omg i checked his stats and know little of european leagues so he is terrible tho he's been a consensus top 5 pick all year"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HockeyAllsvenskan some explanation

for example Forsberg is playing in a higher division then Henrik zetteberg was at his age http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...er=285&lang=en
And Zetterberg was drafted in the 9th round...

If Forsberg is there in the 12-15 range, that's a good pick. He's not a top 5 caliber talent, and he's certainly not an elite goal scorer.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

would you say more of a J. Larsson kind of guy?

Old
04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
If Forsberg is there in the 12-15 range, that's a good pick. He's not a top 5 caliber talent, and he's certainly not an elite goal scorer.
Not that I disagree, but it would be foolish to say this with absolute certainty. That's why it is so hard to project these young SEL players. The few goals, few assists 1st year players like Larsson, Zetterberg, Zibanejad, Forsberg, etc. could develop in either (sometimes extreme) direction.

Closed Thread