HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

2012 (now 2013!) Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
  #451
Primetimey
Registered User
 
Primetimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 83
I don't like keeping 14 forwards.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
  #452
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,924
vCash: 558
Losing faith in Gully.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
  #453
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
I don't like keeping 14 forwards.
Most teams keep 14. How is that an issue?

On a 23 man roster you almost always see 14 forwards, 7 D, and 2 goalies.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:08 AM
  #454
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,663
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Losing faith in Gully.
Why? what's wrong with the roster moves made?

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
  #455
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Why? what's wrong with the roster moves made?
Oleksiak to the AHL ... which I'm fine with. Benn and Dillon are gone so Oleksiak should now be the #1 D in Texas.

He's barely 20 years old and a little patience never hurt anyone.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:19 AM
  #456
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Oleksiak to the AHL ... which I'm fine with. Benn and Dillon are gone so Oleksiak should now be the #1 D in Texas.

He's barely 20 years old and a little patience never hurt anyone.

I expected this, but was secretly hoping to see him this year. Kind of excited about Oleksiak.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
  #457
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
I expected this, but was secretly hoping to see him this year. Kind of excited about Oleksiak.
I'm with you. I really do want to see him ASAP. Personally, I think we will see him full time by the end of the season.

I'm more surprised Benn is a Top 6 D. Based on Oleksiak skating with Rome last night, that seems to be the case though.

If Benn sticks in this role ... it'll be tough for Nemeth to break into the lineup. I think Dallas is fairly committed to Goli, Daley, and Larsen right now. That means with Robi out of the picture you'd have Benn, Dillon, and Oleksiak.

The bonus might be you can usually get a nice asset for a decent NHL D. When/if Nemeth forces his way into the Top 6, everyone but Benn could have value.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
  #458
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,601
vCash: 27750
3 things-

If Benn is actually the #6 D we're in serious trouble.

They're doing the right thing by letting Oleksiak continue to build on his season in the AHL and solidify his progress.

I can't believe Roussel made the team. I guess I've always got to have one player to hate.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:47 AM
  #459
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,924
vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Why? what's wrong with the roster moves made?
Benn is in the NHL.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
  #460
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'm with you. I really do want to see him ASAP. Personally, I think we will see him full time by the end of the season.

I'm more surprised Benn is a Top 6 D. Based on Oleksiak skating with Rome last night, that seems to be the case though.

If Benn sticks in this role ... it'll be tough for Nemeth to break into the lineup. I think Dallas is fairly committed to Goli, Daley, and Larsen right now. That means with Robi out of the picture you'd have Benn, Dillon, and Oleksiak.

The bonus might be you can usually get a nice asset for a decent NHL D. When/if Nemeth forces his way into the Top 6, everyone but Benn could have value.
I think Jordie gets the spot because he has puck skills. Dallas is definitely placing emphasis on dmen who can move the puck and Rome just doesn't.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:50 AM
  #461
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I can't believe Roussel made the team. I guess I've always got to have one player to hate.
Is it the Ott comparison? Because I don't buy it. Early on he was a knucklehead, but he just kept getting better in the AHL. He also seemed to limit the post-whistle nonsense I'm not a fan of.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:53 AM
  #462
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 475
He had 9 PIM in the January games, and 5 of them were from a fight defending Alex Chiasson. In 14 January games, he only took 5 minors.

Roussel is young, and I think he's another potential solid NHL 4th liner that Texas found.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
  #463
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,601
vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Is it the Ott comparison? Because I don't buy it. Early on he was a knucklehead, but he just kept getting better in the AHL. He also seemed to limit the post-whistle nonsense I'm not a fan of.
I can't stand the way he plays the game. I think he makes terrible decisions with the puck, much the same way Ott used to. Can't stand the diving/embellishing/spraying the goalie/jawing crap. We'll see if he's actually able to limit his penalties when he's trying to impress and make a name for himself. It was embarrassing how many penalties this team took last season and I'm not eager to repeat that.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
  #464
ginblossoms
Registered User
 
ginblossoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
for what it's worth, i thought roussel looked pretty good from what i've seen at camp. he kept on doing nhl-caliber things and i asked myself repeatedly "who is this guy?" HE needs an avatar... except with his real name, his real picture, and his real position.

and even if he does take some stupid penalties, consider who he's effectively replacing.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:04 PM
  #465
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I can't stand the way he plays the game. I think he makes terrible decisions with the puck, much the same way Ott used to. Can't stand the diving/embellishing/spraying the goalie/jawing crap. We'll see if he's actually able to limit his penalties when he's trying to impress and make a name for himself. It was embarrassing how many penalties this team took last season and I'm not eager to repeat that.
That is a fair concern I hadn't considered.

With the mass exodus of those type of players though, I imagine GMJN and Gully wouldn't put up with much of it. Over half of his penalties though were fighting or a major that didn't impact manpower. He did have one dumb kneeing major though early in the season. I just really was impressed with the last 20 games where he managed to limit minors to just 7. I honestly do think he made some big strides.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
  #466
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 11,995
vCash: 500
hey guys, couple questions? So Smith is on the team?

I am really surprised Olesiak was cut. he looked very impressive in the AHL. did he have a bad camp? too slow?

Was Chaisson in camp? if so how did he look?

thanks.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
  #467
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,630
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I am really surprised Olesiak was cut. he looked very impressive in the AHL. did he have a bad camp? too slow?
Am almost positive they just don't want to rush him. He looked fine in camp imo.

Chiasson was not outside of the time Texas was here for the scrimmage.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:44 PM
  #468
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!
 
Arpi3080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Most teams keep 14. How is that an issue?

On a 23 man roster you almost always see 14 forwards, 7 D, and 2 goalies.
Which number is Ryan Garbutt?

Did I miss something?

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:45 PM
  #469
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,105
vCash: 50
Anyone else think Jordie was kept up to help smooth negotiations with his brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Bachman and Oleksiak to the Texas Stars.
Wow, so Nihlstorp gets the backup gig? Should be interesting. Here's hoping Gully doesn't pull a Tippett and nail him to the bench for two months.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:47 PM
  #470
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
Cristiano Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Anyone else think Jordie was kept up to help smooth negotiations with his brother?
Good point, never thought of that.

I think that's definitely a possibility.

Cristiano Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
  #471
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
Which number is Ryan Garbutt?

Did I miss something?
I don't understand the question? Do you want to know what number he wears on the ice or are you asking if he is a forward or D?

He's one of the 14 forwards on the roster, and he wears number 40.

He's skating on a line with Eakin and Reilly Smith, and according to Heika, Sceviour or Roussel could get in the game on Sunday meaning Garbutt would likely be out.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:03 PM
  #472
ginblossoms
Registered User
 
ginblossoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Wow, so Nihlstorp gets the backup gig? Should be interesting. Here's hoping Gully doesn't pull a Tippett and nail him to the bench for two months.
for now... bachman's probably got a little rust to shake off. nilstorp's in game shape. he's also played well in austin and is an experienced professional. it appears they'll eventually do some sort of back-up rotation between the two.

and seriously, what happened to the "h"? heheh...

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
  #473
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!
 
Arpi3080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I don't understand the question? Do you want to know what number he wears on the ice or are you asking if he is a forward or D?

He's one of the 14 forwards on the roster, and he wears number 40.

He's skating on a line with Eakin and Reilly Smith, and according to Heika, Sceviour or Roussel could get in the game on Sunday meaning Garbutt would likely be out.
Sorry my bad, thought Sceviour took his place.
I really like Garbutt for his game, every shift he gives 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
3 things-

If Benn is actually the #6 D we're in serious trouble.
It has nothing to do with Benn the Stars are already in serious trouble with this defense. Hopefully Kari will be the big difference.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
  #474
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
It has nothing to do with Benn the Stars are already in serious trouble with this defense. Hopefully Kari will be the big difference.
That's why the organization is fond of Roussel. He does have a non-stop motor, but piqued does have a point about him possibly putting his antics in overdrive to get noticed. It'll be interesting to see how he handles his first NHL game.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:18 PM
  #475
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!
 
Arpi3080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
That's why the organization is fond of Roussel. He does have a non-stop motor, but piqued does have a point about him possibly putting his antics in overdrive to get noticed. It'll be interesting to see how he handles his first NHL game.
Yeah but what has your post to do with the defense? I want this good old times back with Hatcher, Zubov, Sydor and Mativchuck in the line up... That was a great core

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.