HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Newark / Cory Booker Reducing Police Presence Around Arena

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

vCash: 500
what about the parade omggg

Old
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
What he's trying to do politically is incredibly obvious.

Booker is trying to tap into his parties recent political narrative with an intentional attack on "the 1%" and this nouveau 2012 election year attempt to demonize "the evil rich", of which, JVDB is the target.

So Booker intentionally, AND VERY PUBLICLY attacks "the evil rich guy".

Those of the people in this thread that are "shocked" and think it's "dumb" to do this "in public" have missed that point entirely.

This is EXACTLY what Booker intentioned to do - he wants to come off as defending the helpless poor of Newark against the big, bad, powerful "Wall Street" guy, and these extremely public comments were not a passionate and frustrated slip of the tongue, but a quite intentional politically calculated attempt to tap into the Democrat's 2012 political narrative against the rich.
Damn you, was just going to post a similar view.

Booker is taking a ride on the "Lets blame the 1% maaan", train.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
At times yeah. There's crime there too. There were summer robberies that headlined the local news in recent years.
Oh I know, that's why I said at times. I like to think I'm lucky to survived.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Newark loses money via arbitration, saves money by pulling back cops, recoups money if (and it's a big if) the Devils hire Newark cops for security.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Booker is butt hurt because he wasn't allowed to see Springsteen in the town that he is a mayor of. That is hysterical part.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
what about the parade omggg
Screw a parade.

Host a cup party at The Rock and charge the 17,625 a modest $8.50 to attend.

Then turn around and with those proceeds hand a $150,000 campaign contribution check to whoever runs against Booker next time.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 2329
This is starting to sound like an episode of the Sopranos. No Springsteen tickets for me? No police for you!

In the words of one of the great poets of our time: "Child Please!"

Old
04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
MachoDiablo

Ugh, are some people still on about "Guuuuys, Newark is sooooo scary, you guuuuuys." crap?

I'll never, ever claim that it's some kind of Wonderland, but some of us are complaining about freaking bums? OMG THERE ARE BUMS IN CITIES, NO WAI.

I live in downtown Jersey City, right by the brownstones, nice neighborhood...and we have a couple bums who hang out around the corner asking for change every day. Nature of the beast, if their presence offends you so much then don't bother going to any city, ever.

Games are held in Baltimore, St. Louis, Detroit, and other crap holes, yet some of us are getting our knickers in a twist because of big, bad Newark. Good Lord.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Negotiations have to be at the breaking point for Booker to come out publicly like this. I'm sure that VBK has been a complete ******* for Booker to take him to the woodshed like this publicly. I don't doubt it, either, since VBK doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation as being a standup guy at this point.

Also, this is far less a risk for Booker as some are making it out to be. This is a guy with state and national dreams. No one is going to care if someone gets stabbed at a game in the future. And it's not like he'd ever lose the Mayoral race in Newark. Pretty calculated risk by him.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Negotiations have to be at the breaking point for Booker to come out publicly like this. I'm sure that VBK has been a complete ******* for Booker to take him to the woodshed like this publicly. I don't doubt it, either, since VBK doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation as being a standup guy at this point.
Also, this is far less a risk for Booker as some are making it out to be. This is a guy with state and national dreams. No one is going to care if someone gets stabbed at a game in the future. And it's not like he'd ever lose the Mayoral race in Newark. Pretty calculated risk by him.
Based on what?

Old
04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
boy do i love catfights. just no boobies to see here.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:36 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
Screw a parade.

Host a cup party at The Rock and charge the 17,625 a modest $8.50 to attend.

Then turn around and with those proceeds hand a $150,000 campaign contribution check to whoever runs against Booker next time.
I like this

Old
04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Booker is going after the 1%'ers? That sounds like something that the drug addict Hush Bimbo would say.

Oh please, it's typical local political grandstanding that would be occurring even with out that silly OWS nonsense.

Nothing here. Move on. Yawn.

A tough battle looms ahead with a team that fans and players are clearly looking past and don't forget the impending free agent crisis coming this summer. Perhaps even Brodeur wants to handcuff this franchise even further by wanting NOT to retire. We will even have to withstand a deep NYR playoff run.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsIn2010 View Post
Based on what?
He's played quite fast and loose with contract law, first off. I think he's been awfully shady when it comes to fulfilling promises on his end.

Second off, I automatically distrust him (rightly or wrongly) just because of his relation to Lehman at the time of its collapse.

VBK is a shark. You don't get to those heights on Wall Street without being one.

I'm actually surprised you guys defend VBK so much. Rangers fans hate Dolan -- even if he is a pretty damn good owner. There are few genuinely good guys who are at the top of the world like sports owners are. Much more common are the absolutely bloodthirsty sharks like Dolan and VBK. Guys who would willingly cut your throat to get ahead a bit. I have a bit of respect for that (especially because I'll be clerking at a branch of a relatively big, cutthroat law firm this summer), but I would have a hard time really defending them on an emotional level.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
04-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
He's played quite fast and loose with contract law, first off. I think he's been awfully shady when it comes to fulfilling promises on his end.

Second off, I automatically distrust him (rightly or wrongly) just because of his relation to Lehman at the time of its collapse.

VBK is a shark. You don't get to those heights on Wall Street without being one.

I'm actually surprised you guys defend VBK so much. Rangers fans hate Dolan -- even if he is a pretty damn good owner. There are few genuinely good guys who are at the top of the world like sports owners are. Much more common are the absolutely bloodthirsty sharks like Dolan and VBK. Guys who would willingly cut your throat to get ahead a bit. I have a bit of respect for that (especially because I'll be clerking at a branch of a relatively big, cutthroat law firm this summer), but I would have a hard time really defending them on an emotional level.
There really isn't much defending of JVB, a lot are happy with him as a person/fan but not so crazy about him as an owner...

If you are basing the 'defending' on this thread, you have misguided yourself

Old
04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
What promises?

Quote:

I automatically distrust him (rightly or wrongly) just because of his relation to Lehman at the time of its collapse.
What exactly was his "relation to LEH at the time of its' collapse"?

Old
04-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
What promises?
The promises that nobody knows anything about (except him apparently) that Booker brought up

Old
04-10-2012, 06:29 PM
devilsblood

I thought the initial outburst by Booker was ridiculous.

But I don't have a problem with him holding back cops(they are not that needed and the city is broke) nor airing all this in the media(it's a tool, use it).

And at some point in the not to distant future Im pretty sure we will see Booker and Vanderbeek on a stage patting each other on their backs with ear to ear grins.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:41 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Good job Booker make those relations better.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
What promises?

What exactly was his "relation to LEH at the time of its' collapse"?
He was in charge of their global strategy, IIRC, and a risk manager. There is no way that he did not know what was going on inside that firm at the time he was there.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
The promises that nobody knows anything about (except him apparently) that Booker brought up
Well, was the contract ever made public record? I would assume that most people don't know everything about the negotiations and contract.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
I thought the initial outburst by Booker was ridiculous.
I think Booker made the key mistake of not really explaining himself (hence why he had to make this op ed piece now). Should've made the outburst with real explanations.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Well, was the contract ever made public record? I would assume that most people don't know everything about the negotiations and contract.
Exactly, and then how would you know of any promises that were made between the two if nobody knows

Old
04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Exactly, and then how would you know of any promises that were made between the two if nobody knows
I don't think Booker would be outright lying about them. That would be more disastrous than a simple outburst.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
I think Booker made the key mistake of not really explaining himself (hence why he had to make this op ed piece now). Should've made the outburst with real explanations.
The name calling in general was ridiculous. Way over the top on that initial fooray.

Closed Thread