HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Switzerland

Old
04-23-2012, 06:58 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Josi is in the playoffs, Diaz and Weber are injured, and there are better options than Weber anyway.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:00 AM
jonas2244

Disappointing, Mr.Simpson. No Cunti, no Plüss.

Tor (3): Reto Berra (Biel), Lukas Flüeler (ZSC Lions), Tobias Stephan (Genf-Servette).

Verteidigung (10): Goran Bezina (Genf-Servette), Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Félicien Du Bois (Kloten), Philippe Furrer (Bern), Robin Grossmann (Davos), Luca Sbisa (Anaheim/USA), Mathias Seger (ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (NY Islanders/USA), Julien Vauclair (Lugano), Patrick von Gunten (Västra Frölunda/SWE).

Sturm (15): Andres Ambühl (ZSC Lions), Matthias Bieber (Kloten), Damien Brunner (Zug), Denis Hollenstein (Kloten), Michael Liniger (Kloten), Thibaut Monnet (ZSC Lions), Simon Moser (Langnau), Nino Niederreiter (NY Islanders/USA), Benjamin Plüss (Fribourg), Kevin Romy (Lugano), Daniel Rubin (Genf-Servette), Ivo Rüthemann (Bern), Julien Sprunger (Fribourg), Morris Trachsler (Genf-Servette), Roman Wick (Kloten).

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:09 AM
duga

so Genoni got cut?

about Cunti: Maybe it's the right choice, he had his first big season, from zero to hero... maybe it's better to go step by step.

and in the last 2 PO-Games his weaknesses were quite exposed.

nevertheless I'd loved to see him in one of the 2 Prep. games against Canada, with Brunner. Image: Both got skills and skating to go coast-to-coast, so the opponents would've a hard time figuring out who gonna carry the puck up the ice...

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:11 AM
helicecopter

Genoni cut?

also, what's Diaz's injury?
i saw listed as day to day with the Canadiens like forever, but never got what the exact injury was.

helicecopter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:17 AM
jonas2244

Genoni didn't feel himself enough good to compete with Berra and Stephan. So he told Simpson he would not be available.

Diaz has muscular problems I think.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:18 AM
jonas2244

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
nevertheless I'd loved to see him in one of the 2 Prep. games against Canada, with Brunner. Image: Both got skills and skating to go coast-to-coast, so the opponents would've a hard time figuring out who gonna carry the puck up the ice...
That's my point. I didn't say Cunti would have a secure spot, but if we see Hollenstein, Bieber and Beni Plüss we also should see Cunti.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
holyprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
Disappointing, Mr.Simpson. No Cunti, no Plüss.
It seems like it was Plüss's own decision, he wants to recover from some sicknesses or injuries he had in this season.

but i do wonder a little who's gonna take his center position with that line up.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:12 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Very surprising choices here. I agree with Duga about Cunti, but leaving Plüss home makes no sense to me with the center depth being a bit suspicious already.

It means that at most three out of Hollenstein, B. Plüss, Rubin, Sprunger and Liniger will be cut.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:15 AM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
That's my point. I didn't say Cunti would have a secure spot, but if we see Hollenstein, Bieber and Beni Plüss we also should see Cunti.
Hollenstein and Bieber mainly would be on the team to complement a strong line with their skating skills, while Cunti has to have the puck on his stick most of the time to be effective. Thus, would have a lot more responsibility.... and you remember how many times he lost the puck in risky situations in Game 6 and 7 in the middle or even D-Zone? (I know the SCB adjusted very well, and the ZSC-D oftenly handed him the puck bad-timed, but nevertheless, if he get trapped like this on international Level, it'd be close to a sure goal against. Maybe too much risk for Simpson?)

Genoni got a very good head. He wasn't on the Level of the others while the PO's, so it's not a bad decision IMO (pretty surprising nevertheless). It's the biggest Line-Up on Goal we probably ever had.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:19 AM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprime View Post
It seems like it was Plüss's own decision, he wants to recover from some sicknesses or injuries he had in this season.

but i do wonder a little who's gonna take his center position with that line up.
Where you got this info from? cause it's the only plausibel reason IMO to leave him of the team.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:27 AM
swisdan

I saw in the swiss txt Pluess want some rest.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:29 AM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Very surprising choices here. I agree with Duga about Cunti, but leaving Plüss home makes no sense to me with the center depth being a bit suspicious already.

It means that at most three out of Hollenstein, B. Plüss, Rubin, Sprunger and Liniger will be cut.
about Cunti: haven't you written before that you 'd leave him off the team?
(couldn't find your post, but acctually wanted to reply on that)

I would add Monnet to your list of possibel cuts,(and he's one of my favourites in the NLA):
Beside his shot and offensive smarts he's missing a lot for WC-Level:
skating, physical play, or deking skills

Old
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisdan View Post
I saw in the swiss txt Pluess want some rest.
well deserved, definitely!

Old
04-23-2012, 10:38 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
about Cunti: haven't you written before that you 'd leave him off the team?
(couldn't find your post, but acctually wanted to reply on that)
I agree with your "step by step" point. I think he needs a bit more experience, his style is a bit too risky for the moment.

Quote:
I would add Monnet to your list of possibel cuts,(and he's one of my favourites in the NLA):
Beside his shot and offensive smarts he's missing a lot for WC-Level:
skating, physical play, or deking skills
His skating is ok, and his physical play, despite being below average at best, is not as bad as it was earlier in his career. His hand skills are poor, but this is a fixture among Swiss players.

On the other hand, he has proven that he can be useful at this level and has chemistry with Ambühl, which has to count for something.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
duga

Quote:

His skating is ok, and his physical play, despite being below average at best, is not as bad as it was earlier in his career. His hand skills are poor, but this is a fixture among Swiss players.

On the other hand, he has proven that he can be useful at this level and has chemistry with Ambühl, which has to count for something.
Yep, agree about everything. but than he needs 2 guys who carry the puck and pass to him well-timed (Ambühl-Brunner again?)

BTW, while he still isn't an active physical player, he can handle checking pretty well nowadays, and goes to the dirty zones.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:58 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Who will be the Swiss starter? Or will they do a 50, 50 with the two goalies and whoever performs better gets the job

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Tritsche

vCash: 267
Send a message via MSN to Tritsche
Quote:

Are you serious? You would cut Sprunger? Unbelievable!

Tritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritsche View Post
Are you serious? You would cut Sprunger? Unbelievable!
Why not? He doesn't bring anything apart from scoring (he's neither fast nor strong), and doesn't score much at this level.

Sprunger's WC stats:
2007: 7 games, 2 goals (both in a 4-1 win against Denmark)
2008: 7 games, 3 goals 2 assists (1 goals in a 4-1 win against France, 2 in a 2-1 win against Belarus)
2009: 5 games, scoreless
2011: 6 games, 1 assists

In 25 games, he had 8 points, and was decisive in only one game. Not the contribution you expect from a purely offensive player. With Brunner, Wick, Rüthemann, Monnet and Ambühl on the team, there are enough wingers who are proven scorers at this level and are more complete players to cut him, even if one of Ambühl or Monnet will probably play center.

(I updated the orginial post)

Last edited by stv11: 04-23-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 01:31 PM
BLBarmada

Can the Swiss goaltending pull off an upset ? And is Niño going ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Can the Swiss goaltending pull off an upset ? And is Niño going ?
Nino already played few friendly games with Swiss, last in victory over Sweden scoring two goals

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
torero

Quote:
Why not? He doesn't bring anything apart from scoring (he's neither fast nor strong), and doesn't score much at this level.

Sprunger's WC stats:
2007: 7 games, 2 goals (both in a 4-1 win against Denmark)
2008: 7 games, 3 goals 2 assists (1 goals in a 4-1 win against France, 2 in a 2-1 win against Belarus)
2009: 5 games, scoreless
2011: 6 games, 1 assists

In 25 games, he had 8 points, and was decisive in only one game. Not the contribution you expect from a purely offensive player. With Brunner, Wick, Rüthemann, Monnet and Ambühl on the team, there are enough wingers who are proven scorers at this level and are more complete players to cut him, even if one of Ambühl or Monnet will probably play center.

(I updated the orginial post)
Impressive !
Intuitively, i would have wanted Sprunger to play.
Yet these are eye opening stats.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Partagas

I am very much worried about the quantity and the quality of the center in our team :
without Martin Plüss and Bykov it's a problem and i'd have given a chance to Cunti ,Romy perhaps the best but Bieber ?Liniger ? Trachsler ? Our best forward are all wingers .

Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:24 PM
ElTailR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
Who will be the Swiss starter? Or will they do a 50, 50 with the two goalies and whoever performs better gets the job
I think it will be 50/50. When you see Sweden games. The first with Berra everyone enjoyed his performance.Second game with Stephan... exactly the same. Maybe Stephan will be the "starting" goalie because he has more experience but i think it's 50/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Can the Swiss goaltending pull off an upset ?
Definitely yes. If Stephan plays as he did in Sweden or in his best games this year with Geneva, few times he seems unbeatable. And Berra isn't the best goalie in LNA this year for nothing

ElTailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
jonas2244

Monnet can play Center. Liniger, Nino and Wick seemed to work quite well in Sweden.
Trachsler is a very solid 4th line Center.

Goalkeeping, it's a 50-50 decision now, I guess both will get their playing time, and I also guess that Stephan will start the first game because of his experience. But Berra will get games, too.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
croAVSfan*

Question for Swiss members, is this year's Swiss team good enough to finaly crack semis ?

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote