HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread II (CBJ to pick #2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 07:40 PM
MU Jacktets*

vCash: 500
I'm really hoping that we take Murray. I think the team needs to build from the net out. One thing that has been lacking from day one in Columbus is an identity. Im slowly beginning to picture a team with a relentless 6 d-man rotation.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

With the rumor that Murray is going to get the invite to the World Championships, I'm really interested to see how he holds up against men.

The fact that Lowe is Canada's GM is intriguing. If he shines, I could see the Oilers just biting the bullet and taking Murray regardless of having the #1 pick.

This could be a defense mechanism of rationalizing the lottery loss, but I'm starting to wonder if I'd rather the Jackets get Murray instead of Yakupov.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:54 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
With the rumor that Murray is going to get the invite to the World Championships, I'm really interested to see how he holds up against men.

The fact that Lowe is Canada's GM is intriguing. If he shines, I could see the Oilers just biting the bullet and taking Murray regardless of having the #1 pick.

This could be a defense mechanism of rationalizing the lottery loss, but I'm starting to wonder if I'd rather the Jackets get Murray instead of Yakupov.
If that is the case, and Lowe wants Murray, then the Jackets hold all of the cards by simply stating that they will take Murray #2. Hopefully that will get us Yakupov through a trade with EDM, or he falls to #2. That would be a great day.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
If that is the case, and Lowe wants Murray, then the Jackets hold all of the cards by simply stating that they will take Murray #2. Hopefully that will get us Yakupov through a trade with EDM, or he falls to #2. That would be a great day.
Actually, I've started to think that a trade may not be necessary. Jackets play chicken with the Oilers and state that they're fine picking either Yakupov or Murray at #2. Make it clear to the Oilers that the only way they get Murray is to take him #1.

I think the Jackets may really be fine with getting either, so that makes the game of chicken pretty easy.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:37 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 19309
Quote:
so that makes the game of chicken pretty easy.
Edmonton doesnt have to play chicken. They can and (IMO) probably will trade the #1 pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Hopefully that will get us Yakupov through a trade with EDM, or he falls to #2. That would be a great day.
There is no way the CBJ trade up to #1 to get Yakupov. Edmonton can get a better offer elsewhere and the CBJ doesnt have expendable assets worth bumping up 1 draft position.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:53 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Actually, I've started to think that a trade may not be necessary. Jackets play chicken with the Oilersand state that they're fine picking either Yakupov or Murray at #2. Make it clear to the Oilers that the only way they get Murray is to take him #1.

I think the Jackets may really be fine with getting either, so that makes the game of chicken pretty easy.
I think so too, in this situation, but I wouldnt mind a trade (if EDM says theyre fine picking Yak and we want Yak) if it was like the trade we made with Florida for Nash. I dont see us finishing lower than Edmonton next year. I know, optimistic..

Old
04-15-2012, 08:55 PM
leesmith
Still in.

We really can't go wrong with selecting either of the two.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
If Galch is added can we still say the same? If EDM takes Yak, are people comfortable with Murray or Galch?

Old
04-15-2012, 09:02 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I know this, and the more I read about Murray, the more I like him. The only reason I wouldnt is because that makes Savard expendable, and I have an unhealthy man crush on Savard.

I have one question that Im hoping our in-house scout (SL) could answer. Could Murray's potential be that of what was thought of Doughty's potential during his draft year?

Old
04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Edmonton doesnt have to play chicken. They can and (IMO) probably will trade the #1 pick.
I don't know how much value the pick really has for two reasons.

The first is that Yakupov was injured late, and Sarnia didn't do much of anything in the OHL playoffs (and neither did he).

The second is that so many prospects have been injured that I can see a massive reshuffling of the draft order itself. For the first time, GMs might actually be telling the truth when they say, "We couldn't believe he was still there when we picked". No one knows where Galchenyuk may go; it could be anywhere from 2 to 9. Radek Faksa may blow up the draft board, as could someone like Cody Ceci. There's about 10 different players who could go in the top-5, and probably 20 who could go in the top-10.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:37 PM
jacks johnson

I can't see us taking Murray , unless he just looks like a stud in the championships . With the trading away of Voracek, then Jeff Carter, then Rick Nash, I would have to think we go Center/Forward. We are pretty set with Johnson, Wiz, Tyutin, Methot, Nikutinn, and John Moore, with Lebda, Savard, Holden, Gobeleuf waiting in the minors. Unless we are moving Tyutin, or Methot ? We are lacking at depth in our forward positions at both the Nhl level, and Ahl level, so would have to think we draft Yupokov(assuming we move up, or he falls to 2), Gakchenyuk , of Forsberg. I think on the last page some scouts, as well as hockey prospects have galy as best prospect in draft. Guess a lot will depend on how Galy looks when he works out for teams.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
I can't see us taking Murray , unless he just looks like a stud in the championships . With the trading away of Voracek, then Jeff Carter, then Rick Nash, I would have to think we go Center/Forward. We are pretty set with Johnson, Wiz, Tyutin, Methot, Nikutinn, and John Moore, with Lebda, Savard, Holden, Gobeleuf waiting in the minors. Unless we are moving Tyutin, or Methot ? We are lacking at depth in our forward positions at both the Nhl level, and Ahl level, so would have to think we draft Yupokov(assuming we move up, or he falls to 2), Gakchenyuk , of Forsberg. I think on the last page some scouts, as well as hockey prospects have galy as best prospect in draft. Guess a lot will depend on how Galy looks when he works out for teams.
Of those defensemen you just named - Johnson, Wisniewski, Tyutin, Methot, Nikitin, Moore, Lebda, Savard, Holden, and Goloubef ... where is there an elite player? I like Johnson .. I think he'll be a staple of our blueline for many years to come, but he can't do it alone. Wisniewski is a good (not great) puck mover with obvious defensive holes. Tyutin is either good, or (more often than not) disappointing and overpaid; I'd love to see us dump that contract ... Nikitin is a good second/third pairing guy, as is Methot (overpaid). John Moore could develop into a top pairing guy with puck moving skills, but he could very easily be just what he is now. Lebda is horrendous, and I hope he's not back next year. Goloubef and Holden are - at best - second/third pairing defensive guys, just like Methot and Nikitin - and they're unproven. Savard might have the best potential of the prospects we have, and even that is of maybe a 1b type guy.

Why wouldn't we want an elite blueline prospect like Ryan Murray? At #2 (assuming the Oilers have taken Yakupov at #1), Murray is the one player that we could select that will absolutely become a player for us. We have the luxury of allowing him to develop properly behind some of those guys you listed, giving him confidence and allowing him to adjust to the pro game and learn under veterans. We've never had that with any of our prospects before.

Imagine these pairings in two years:

Johnson/Savard
Murray/Wisniewski
Nikitin/Methot/Tyutin

That's an NHL defense corps. There are numerous high end forwards that will be available at next year's draft, many of whom could go first overall in this year's draft. I'm not against picking Galchenyuk at all, but let's not be against drafting Ryan Murray just because we don't think we need a defenseman.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:18 AM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Kings are going to beat Vancouver, it's just a question of how many games. I believe their first is still 18th overall unless they make it to the conference finals.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Erik Estrada

''According to a source the Oilers big three are apparently in the corner of Yakupov. President Kevin Lowe, General Manager Steve Tambellini and Head Scout Stu MacGregor are all big fans of Yakupov while a few of the Oilers scouts would prefer to go after Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhart.''

http://www.theteam1260.com/blog/niel...tryID=10370466

Old
04-16-2012, 01:07 AM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

That sucks

Old
04-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Doug19

I want Vancouver, San Jose, and New York to lose in the first round. San Jose and New York can fight with Toronto for Nash while Vancouver can trade Schneider to us for something (I don't know what!).

Old
04-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
''According to a source the Oilers big three are apparently in the corner of Yakupov. President Kevin Lowe, General Manager Steve Tambellini and Head Scout Stu MacGregor are all big fans of Yakupov while a few of the Oilers scouts would prefer to go after Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhart.''

http://www.theteam1260.com/blog/niel...tryID=10370466
When NHL95 came out, it was the first game to allow trades (one-for-one, no actual trade engine, no draft picks....just pick one of your guys and then one from an opposing team). To keep it fair, my friend and I would alternate trades, each loading up our teams with the best in the league.

Somehow, I think my friend would be proud that someone is taking his lead and getting so starry-eyed over scoring forwards that the back end is totally neglected. The difference is that we were playing a video game, while these guys are actually building an NHL team around a second pairing that will have one or both of Theo Peckham and Cam Barker on it.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:03 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
When NHL95 came out, it was the first game to allow trades (one-for-one, no actual trade engine, no draft picks....just pick one of your guys and then one from an opposing team). To keep it fair, my friend and I would alternate trades, each loading up our teams with the best in the league.

Somehow, I think my friend would be proud that someone is taking his lead and getting so starry-eyed over scoring forwards that the back end is totally neglected. The difference is that we were playing a video game, while these guys are actually building an NHL team around a second pairing that will have one or both of Theo Peckham and Cam Barker on it.
In what way are video games relevant here?? /////

Old
04-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I want Vancouver, San Jose, and New York to lose in the first round. San Jose and New York can fight with Toronto for Nash while Vancouver can trade Schneider to us for something (I don't know what!).
You guys want Schneider, then the 2nd overall pick is heading to Van. The question then is what do we add on top of Schneids.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:21 AM
EspenK

Unless the plan is to keep telling Nash that "we didn't get a good enough offer to make the deal" then next year's need is for offense before defense imo. (Side note-yes getting a goalie is priority 1 but it isn't coming directly from the draft-maybe as part of a trade but who knows).

However in the long run, a good solid D is probably more important than a high flying offense.

So to me what it comes down to is Murray the real deal, someone who has Suter, Neidermaier, etc, potential? If so then draft him. If not then pass and take a flyer on Galchenyuk.

I just don't see this team as a playoff team next year regardless of who is drafted so I'd take the one with the highest long term potential. And for all the talk of highly touted forwards in next year's draft, I was reading about Seth Jones a D man who some say could be the bpa in next year's draft.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
You guys want Schneider, then the 2nd overall pick is heading to Van. The question then is what do we add on top of Schneids.
"We" don't want him that badly.

And I would think Howson might go ahead and check in with Gillis anyway, just to make sure your assertion is correct.

My take on what happens if Vancouver falls to the Kings is that Luongo is on the move rather than Schneider, provided Gillis can make it happen.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
"We" don't want him that badly.

And I would think Howson might go ahead and check in with Gillis anyway, just to make sure your assertion is correct.

My take on what happens if Vancouver falls to the Kings is that Luongo is on the move rather than Schneider, provided Gillis can make it happen.
Getting some team to take on that long, bloated contract will be a daunting task. Oh wait, we have Howson doing the deals.

Never-mind.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Getting some team to take on that long, bloated contract will be a daunting task. Oh wait, we have Howson doing the deals.

Never-mind.
I never even suggested it would be the Jackets. Just my perspective would be that would be Gillis' first course of action.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:41 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
He isn't worth the #2 pick. Not even close.

Now you might find a few fans around here that would. Dudes played 68 games on one of the best defensive teams in the league. No idea if he can gold up to 50+ starts with a group of five players in front of him that has the appearance of swiss cheese for 5-10 minutes a night.

Ultimately he may turn out to be what we suspect he'll be. But I'm not prepared to give up that much for him.

You figure out what to do with the cap situation and that silly contract they gave to Luongo.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Yeah, me too.

Closed Thread