Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Guelph Storm 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
StormLifer

vCash: 500
General Comments

Some general comments about the team and a few players....
Overall very impressed, yes there have been some breakdowns all over the ice but in general they have been a fun team to watch so far this year. They seem to have a lot of heart and usually make things interesting.

Individual player comments:

Keegan Wilson: That trade was really worth it....NOT....would rather see DaSilva get some much needed experience.
Andrey Pedan: He's slowly working his way up in my books, have never liked him other than his wicked point shot....anyone else sick of his stupid penalties??
Daniel Poliziani: super impressed with him....one of the most consistent players we've had, especially given he is usually playing forward or even switching between forward and defense in a game.
Kyle Locke: Sad to see him go to jr b but glad he will get to play more and on D. Like the energy and grit he brought as a stand in forward.
Brock McGinn: Love this kid....so much heart and energy...and I went to school with his brother Jamie so I have a soft spot for the McGinn brothers.

That's all for now!!

Old
01-07-2013, 05:46 PM
StormSurge9

I was critical of the deal for Wilson even a few days ago. But the two losses this weekend we're definitely not his fault. He actually played reasonably well.

I don't know what's up with Garlent as far as points go, but he is still working hard. I know he is supposed to be a point producer but I still can't complain to much about his overall game.

Andrey has been better recently, I get real mad at some of the penalties he takes. But his offensive game is probably the best on the team. There aren't many guys in the OHL that have a harder shot either, his is a rocket.

Locke being sent to Jr. B is the right move, and one I think should have happened with Ben Harpur (A player who has really played better this season). Locke will get plenty of ice time, on DEFENSE. The Cambridge team is pretty good as well sitting second in the league.

Can't wait till Bertuzzi gets back in the lineup, that spark will really be beneficial to the team.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
I was critical of the deal for Wilson even a few days ago. But the two losses this weekend we're definitely not his fault. He actually played reasonably well.
He was absolutely brutal tonight.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
He was absolutely brutal tonight.
From the sounds of it, that was the last straw.

Guelph has acquired OA Saverio Posa from Windsor. No word yet on what is going the other way. But with 4 OA's now on the roster, looks like Wilson is the odd man out.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Caje

Quote:
From the sounds of it, that was the last straw.

Guelph has acquired OA Saverio Posa from Windsor. No word yet on what is going the other way. But with 4 OA's now on the roster, looks like Wilson is the odd man out.
Yep, he's no longer listed on the roster (http://www.guelphstorm.com/roster/index/team/5).

Edit: Looks like we just picked up a goalie from the Q: http://guelphstorm.com/article/storm...ltender/135852

Last edited by Caje: 01-10-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
StormSurge9

Yea when you look at there stats, Nishi is about that same compared to Wilson so it's a wash. With Sparks back he isn't going to play much, if at all.

I do like how it allowed us to get Posa though, steady guy that brings some much needed leadership. Brings that much needed playoff experience (Having been on Windsor's 2010 Mem Cup team). He will likely only be the 5th-6th dman playing with Harpur or Poliziani and having Baumann as a scratch. I doubt they mix with the chemistry the top 4 have.

Friday night will be a big game, Tyler Bertuzzi draws back into the lineup for the first time since Oct. 29. He may be a but rusty, but even just the energy he brings will hopefully be infectious. Also, 2012 5th round pick Marc Stevens will make his debut. Should be interesting to see considering Mike Kelly said at training camp that he likely would have been kept but there was just no room for another forward.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Caje

Quote:
Friday night will be a big game, Tyler Bertuzzi draws back into the lineup for the first time since Oct. 29. He may be a but rusty, but even just the energy he brings will hopefully be infectious. Also, 2012 5th round pick Marc Stevens will make his debut. Should be interesting to see considering Mike Kelly said at training camp that he likely would have been kept but there was just no room for another forward.
You nailed it, both have been pretty great tonight. Beauty set-up by Bertuzzi on that first goal.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:33 PM
StormSurge9

It is unreal to see how much more confident these guys play when Sparks is in net vs. anyone else this season. Not afraid to take some chances knowing that Sparks is behind them.

It is good to see Kosmachuk scoring goals again. He had that real rough stretch but he looks good now.

Bertuzzi and Stevens were awesome. You can tell this lineup seriously missed what Bertuzzi brings. For his first game, Stevens looked sharp as well, can't wait to see him full time next season.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
StormSurge9

This weekend will probably be one of the biggest this season for the team. Trailing Owen Sound by 5 points and Kitchener by 1 point, this weekend includes 2 games against OS and once against Kitch.

Hopefully the momentum the guys have will continue to carry them through.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Caje

Great game tonight, it seemed like we were in control the whole time. I'm surprised we only won by a single goal, there were so many chances. I noticed Sparks seemed to injury his leg mid-way through the third though, he went down a few times and struggled to get back up. He finished the rest of the game fine, so I'm not sure what was up with that.

McGinn's second goal was a beauty, he had a great game. Dickinson has impressed me every single time I've seen him play.

I'm loving this weekend pass promotion the Storm have this year. The Kitchener game should be great as well.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:34 AM
bidzey

good effort by Guelph, I rather see OS meet Kitchener in the first round than Guelph

Old
01-26-2013, 04:53 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Great game tonight, it seemed like we were in control the whole time. I'm surprised we only won by a single goal, there were so many chances. I noticed Sparks seemed to injury his leg mid-way through the third though, he went down a few times and struggled to get back up. He finished the rest of the game fine, so I'm not sure what was up with that.

McGinn's second goal was a beauty, he had a great game. Dickinson has impressed me every single time I've seen him play.

I'm loving this weekend pass promotion the Storm have this year. The Kitchener game should be great as well.
I was sitting in that end when Sparks was hurt, it looked more like his chest area and not his leg. My prediction was he just got hit somewhere where there wasn't a lot of padding and got the wind knocked out of him.

Loved Dickinson's hit that sent the OS player into the bench, a thing of beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
good effort by Guelph, I rather see OS meet Kitchener in the first round than Guelph
Great to see a fan coming in peace. I have seen plenty of OS fans very angry over the end of the game yesterday. The intensity from last night from both teams felt more like a game 7 in the playoffs instead of a regular season game.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Caje

Quote:
I was sitting in that end when Sparks was hurt, it looked more like his chest area and not his leg. My prediction was he just got hit somewhere where there wasn't a lot of padding and got the wind knocked out of him.
That makes sense, I wasn't sure if it was from the shot or if he just pulled something when he jumped up. I was actually sitting in that end too, we probably saw each other at the game.

5-0 win tonight despite being out shot 38-33. I didn't get a chance to watch it, but sounds like Sparks had a great game.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:16 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
That makes sense, I wasn't sure if it was from the shot or if he just pulled something when he jumped up. I was actually sitting in that end too, we probably saw each other at the game.

5-0 win tonight despite being out shot 38-33. I didn't get a chance to watch it, but sounds like Sparks had a great game.
My guess was either the shot, or the butt end of a stick seeing as there was enough traffic around him.

It was a huge win tonight, I watched it and the boys played real well. Unfortunately Pedan is headed for another suspension after getting called for a slewfoot. Although I found it strange how the refs called it normal tripping but changed the call after Pedan got into the box. Missing Pedan and Finn is going to be tough to swallow, hopefully the other guys step up as they did tonight.

Sparks was good again as he has been all season. He broke the Storm single season shutout record, and sits just one behind McCollum for the career shutout record.

Pumped up to be at the Sleeman Centre for Kitchener, here's to hoping the arena gets LOUD!

Old
01-28-2013, 02:16 AM
Caje

What a ridiculous amount of penalties. The refs called every little infraction and totally killed the flow of the game for the first two periods. Can't complain about the third, though.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
What a ridiculous amount of penalties. The refs called every little infraction and totally killed the flow of the game for the first two periods. Can't complain about the third, though.
Yea 3, 5-3's against. That is not very good. How does Horvat get called for diving on that one play, boggles my mind.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Caje

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9842

Bobby Mack has Dickinson as #24 in his mid-season draft list. Weird, I thought he was suppose to be higher than that.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Caje

Shots were 47-15 for Guelph, score was 3-1 for Windsor. DeKort put on a clinic. I am in utter disbelief. I missed the third period but I figured it was just a matter of time before we took the lead. Could not believe the final score.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Caje

Why the **** can't we ever beat Kitchener. The D was brutal tonight.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:14 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9842

Bobby Mack has Dickinson as #24 in his mid-season draft list. Weird, I thought he was suppose to be higher than that.
Dickinson is inconsistent. Some games he's exceptional and other games he's invisible. As for now he should be slotted in the 20-25 range. I feel 15-20 is the highest he could move up in such a talented draft class unless he carries the team in the playoffs his stock will improve massively.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
StormLifer

Overall didn't mind Guelph's effort last night. A couple bounces didn't go our way, but you can't have any breakdowns like we did against Kitchener or you get scored on...like we did. I think Pedan's guy scored 2 of the goals, he was atrocious!! Auger has been inconsistent of late, love the guy, he just looks so awkward out there sometimes. Horvat has really impressed me all season but especially the last couple games. He kinda just does everything, without always being flashy about it. Wouldn't mind seeing Fabbri up on the first line again with Mitchell and Kosmachuk and put Richard with Auger and Mcnaughton maybe. Not to promote/punish either of them just to change it up. Fabbri seems to have a little extra pep in his step on the first line. Putting Richard with the other two would allow Auger to park in front of the net, Richard to make some nice plays and McNaughton to cause trouble along the boards. Just a thought!

Anyone else find Kitchener a bit whiny? From the coaches to the captain and really through most of the team?? I'm glad that Dickinson and Horvat were really giving it to Murphy last night, can't stand that guy. Would love to see McGinn rock his world. All clean hits though!

Old
02-13-2013, 02:40 PM
StormSurge9

I decided to do some research on how some of our 2012 draft picks were doing. So here is the list with stats. Some players I couldn't seem to find this seasons stats. Everyone but Fabbri is listed (As most Storm fans know how he's doing)

Kyle Locke - Cambridge Winter Hawks - GOJHL (Junior B.)
GP - 13
G - 2
A - 3
PTS - 5
PIM - 20

Matt Mancina - Leamington Flyers - GOJHL (Junior B.)
GP - 26
W - 18
L - 6
GAA - 2.82
SV% - 0.905

- Selected to the GOJHL All Star Game.
- Was on team Ontario during the past WJC-17

Alex Tuch - USNDP - USNDP-U17
GP - 42
G - 9
A - 12
PTS - 21
PIM - 20

- Was on Team USA for the WJC-17
- Currently has a verbal commitment to the University of Boston College

Marc Stevens - Stoufville Spirit - OJHL (Junior A.)
GP - 18
G - 4
A - 7
PTS - 11
PIM - 47

- Played 2 Games for the Storm, registering an assist.
- Played for The Hill Academy before joing Stoufville (12 points in 8 games)

Andrew Dodge - Sudbury Nickel Capitals - GNML (Midget)
GP - 17
G - 5
A - 8
PTS - 13
PIM - 41

- Last game recorded was DEC 15/12, I can't seem to find if it has been an injury or he's been assigned to a new team

CJ Bollers - Hamilton Red Wings - OJHL (Junior A.)

- The Red Wings are the last team I can find him listed on, I can't seem to find stats anywhere.

Nolan Stevens - USNDP - USNDP-U17
GP - 22
G - 1
A - 4
PTS - 5
PIM - 2

Oliver Chabot - Kapuskasing Flyers - GNMHL (Midget)
GP - 41
G - 23
A - 47
PTS - 70
PIM - 43

- Also dressed for one game for the North Bay Trappers of the NOJHL (Junior A)

Quinn Diamond - Cambridge Hawks - Alliance (Midget)
GP - 32
G - 24
A - 20
PTS - 44
PIM - 52

- Currently sits 4th in league scoring.

Eric Luzar - Oakville Rangers - SCTA (Midget)

- http://www.leaguelineup.com/player_h...ayerid=8274565 Listed on roster, but they don't have stats posted.

Davis Gadjovich - Whitby Wildcats - OMHA (Midget)

- Again, stats were hard to find.

Max Balison - Ridley Tigers - Prep Hockey
GP - 40
G - 10
A - 7
PTS - 17
PIM - 18

Griffin Heitshu - Guelph Storm - Midget
GP - 40
G - 15
A - 33
PTS - 48
PIM - 70

Old
02-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
I decided to do some research on how some of our 2012 draft picks were doing. So here is the list with stats. Some players I couldn't seem to find this seasons stats. Everyone but Fabbri is listed (As most Storm fans know how he's doing)

Kyle Locke - Cambridge Winter Hawks - GOJHL (Junior B.)
GP - 13
G - 2
A - 3
PTS - 5
PIM - 20

Matt Mancina - Leamington Flyers - GOJHL (Junior B.)
GP - 26
W - 18
L - 6
GAA - 2.82
SV% - 0.905

- Selected to the GOJHL All Star Game.
- Was on team Ontario during the past WJC-17

Alex Tuch - USNDP - USNDP-U17
GP - 42
G - 9
A - 12
PTS - 21
PIM - 20

- Was on Team USA for the WJC-17
- Currently has a verbal commitment to the University of Boston College

Marc Stevens - Stoufville Spirit - OJHL (Junior A.)
GP - 18
G - 4
A - 7
PTS - 11
PIM - 47

- Played 2 Games for the Storm, registering an assist.
- Played for The Hill Academy before joing Stoufville (12 points in 8 games)

Andrew Dodge - Sudbury Nickel Capitals - GNML (Midget)
GP - 17
G - 5
A - 8
PTS - 13
PIM - 41

- Last game recorded was DEC 15/12, I can't seem to find if it has been an injury or he's been assigned to a new team

CJ Bollers - Hamilton Red Wings - OJHL (Junior A.)

- The Red Wings are the last team I can find him listed on, I can't seem to find stats anywhere.

Nolan Stevens - USNDP - USNDP-U17
GP - 22
G - 1
A - 4
PTS - 5
PIM - 2

Oliver Chabot - Kapuskasing Flyers - GNMHL (Midget)
GP - 41
G - 23
A - 47
PTS - 70
PIM - 43

- Also dressed for one game for the North Bay Trappers of the NOJHL (Junior A)

Quinn Diamond - Cambridge Hawks - Alliance (Midget)
GP - 32
G - 24
A - 20
PTS - 44
PIM - 52

- Currently sits 4th in league scoring.

Eric Luzar - Oakville Rangers - SCTA (Midget)

- http://www.leaguelineup.com/player_h...ayerid=8274565 Listed on roster, but they don't have stats posted.

Davis Gadjovich - Whitby Wildcats - OMHA (Midget)

- Again, stats were hard to find.

Max Balison - Ridley Tigers - Prep Hockey
GP - 40
G - 10
A - 7
PTS - 17
PIM - 18

Griffin Heitshu - Guelph Storm - Midget
GP - 40
G - 15
A - 33
PTS - 48
PIM - 70
Bollers on the North York Rangers Midgets.....missed a couple of months with shoulder injury but back in line-up.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Crottenham

Eric Luzar stats:

GP55
G 5
A 11
P 16
PM 68

Old
02-18-2013, 12:40 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Bollers on the North York Rangers Midgets.....missed a couple of months with shoulder injury but back in line-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Eric Luzar stats:

GP55
G 5
A 11
P 16
PM 68
Thank you for the updates!

Is Posa really out 3 games? The OHL website says it is TBA, but says a minimum 3 games. Now I do agree it was probably worth the 5min penalty, but a 3 game suspension?!?

Playing in a game that the boys really need to win without Posa and Finn is going to be a struggle. Posa has been a rock since he was acquired.

Closed Thread