HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz in this year's draft

Old
04-10-2012, 09:25 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
He didn't bail on the Ducks. A loop hole in his contract allowed him the choice to be a FA instead.

Why not choose to pick your own destiny instead of allow someone else to do it for you.
What contract? He doesnt have a contract

I know what you mean theres a loophole in the CBA

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:23 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
This is pretty much my feeling on it. He's allowed to do it, and I don't think there needs to be a rule against it.

Of course not, which is my point.

As far Wheeler being 'this good', taking him 5th overall, I'm sure PHX thought he'd be pretty good. A top 5 pick not reporting is a lot more impactful to an organization than a 2nd rounder not reporting, IMO.
Also MY point. If this was happening to your club, your fanbase(can't speak for you individually) would be livid. The boos every time Schultz would touch the puck in Toronto would put Winnipeg's true north chant to shame.

Of course Leaf fans can be debonair about it when it's a possibility that he might sign with you guys. But if a thread about a Ducks prospect hit 1000 pages, imagine how many threads there would be if this was Toronto's nightmare.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:13 PM
BoHorvat53
Crabs!

So is Justin a FA or does he re-enter the draft?

BoHorvat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:15 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
How big of a troll job would it be if Edmonton snagged Schultz under the radar?
Does anyone understand any part of this post?

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:18 AM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Does anyone understand any part of this post?
I guess cause both team are in the western conference. And that Pronger left Edmonton got the Ducks. Now it'S there turn to still one of there best prospect by draft Schultz in the 2012 Draft.

LOL!!!! I guess the sentance was miss guided.

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
How big of a troll job would it be if Edmonton snagged Schultz under the radar?
It would be the first time in a long time that we were significant net winners due to free agency...possibly even the first time in franchise history.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Kulemon

8th overall probably.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:05 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Schultz is a ********* in my book.
Gives team his word, then backs out on it.
If he had said from the beginning he wouldn't sign, I think everyone would be far less pissed.
And yes trading Gardiner was stupid. we have a moron for a GM

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
nikyc

It's his career that he has to look out for and not any perticular teams. He will give it his all for the team once he signs. You would be looking out for number 1 too if you were in his shoes. For now all his options are open. Blame the league rules and not the player for any loopholes.

nikyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Leehh

If Schultz going to be that ****** i hope Ducks will draft him again and force him to play with them.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
nikyc

I understand he is a free agent after july 1. He will not need to go through the draft. His best bet I believe is in Edmonton. Perhaps the ducks will trade him to them or some team he wishes to sign with (if he does) between june 1 and july.

nikyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:00 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikyc View Post
I understand he is a free agent after july 1. He will not need to go through the draft. His best bet I believe is in Edmonton. Perhaps the ducks will trade him to them or some team he wishes to sign with (if he does) between june 1 and july.
Why does everyone keep saying that?

Joining a youth movement and having a guaranteed spot doesn't mean **** when he already had that in Anaheim.

He's more likely to go to Vancouver or Toronto.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNudge View Post
I guess cause both team are in the western conference. And that Pronger left Edmonton got the Ducks. Now it'S there turn to still one of there best prospect by draft Schultz in the 2012 Draft.

LOL!!!! I guess the sentance was miss guided.

LOL....What?!?!?

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
SilverHaireDevil

If you reread the OP, It clearly states a Hypothetical scenario where he reenters the draft as opposed to what may or may not actually happen IE Declaring he is leaving school prior to June 1st and becoming a UFA or signing with the ducks.

Then the OP asks what spot would he be drafted at IF he was part of this years draft with his current skillset and playing history.

Top 10, probably first Dman drafted (hypothetical again) IMO

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
If you reread the OP, It clearly states a Hypothetical scenario where he reenters the draft as opposed to what may or may not actually happen IE Declaring he is leaving school prior to June 1st and becoming a UFA or signing with the ducks.

Then the OP asks what spot would he be drafted at IF he was part of this years draft with his current skillset and playing history.

Top 10, probably first Dman drafted (hypothetical again) IMO
3 years in the NCAA has to factor in to Murray possibly going first.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
3 years in the NCAA has to factor in to Murray possibly going first.
Could be, but Schultz is considered to be NHL ready is he not? Murray will likely take some time in the AHL before he is going to be able to take that step.

Thats my reasoning at least for saying Schultz would go earlier. (again Hypothetically )

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
grits207

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I don't get what exactly Schultz owes to Anaheim, because they have done exactly nothing to make Schultz a player he is today. If Ducks wouldn't have drafted him, someone else would and that's that.
Sure he doesn't "owe" them anything but that doesn't mean that Ducks fans shouldn't be furious and think he is a complete *********. Any team's fanbase would see it as a huge slap in the face if they were in the same situation.

As a Leafs fan, I would love for Toronto to be the beneficiaries of Schultz's ************* but I would still say that Ducks fans' hatred of him is 100% justified. Hell, I'm pissed that the Leafs are going to lose Josh Nicholls for nothing and he was only a 7th round pick who likely wont be anything more than a role player in the NHL and I still love cheering against Billy Sweatt because he refused to come to Toronto after they traded for his rights. I can only imagine how angry it would make me to lose a good prospect like Schultz who actually has the potential to be an impact player in the NHL.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Old
04-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Lacaar

Chalk me up in agreement that Ducks fans have a right to be pissed.

If he doesn't want to play for Anaheim they should be able to trade him. I'm sure they'd get much more then the second round pick originally invested.

If a player doesn't want to play for the team that drafts him then request a trade. And I still don't really like that. I'm more in line with if you don't want to play for the team that drafted you. Go play in a different league.

If this became common practice it could ruin the competitive balance of the game IMO.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

If he doesn't want to play for Anaheim they should be able to trade him. I'm sure they'd get much more then the second round pick originally invested.

If a player doesn't want to play for the team that drafts him then request a trade. And I still don't really like that. I'm more in line with if you don't want to play for the team that drafted you. Go play in a different league.

If this became common practice it could ruin the competitive balance of the game IMO.
They just need to figure out a way to block that loophole where college players can become UFA's, they should have the same rules as Euros and juniors and no way out into such situations, otherwise teams will just abstain drafting college kids.

Same situation with Kristo for the Habs, I'd put money on him bailing out on us and taking the free agent route, he also gave management his "word" but at this point there's a very slim chance he doesn't bail.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:15 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

Lame thing is, if we don't trade him, we don't get diddly squat. If he was a first round pick we'd get a second round pick. I don't see how even that is fair compensation. Say Schultz was a first round pick and Vancouver signs him...I mean a 26th overall...what are the chances we nab a guy even close to being as good as Schultz. Second round that's what...56th overall? In know way is THAT scenario fair, but while we're at it, Schultz is a second rounder, one of the best players not in the NHL, and if we walks we get nothing.

As ZeroKnowledge said, this loophole must be eliminated. It's not a common enough occurrence to say that it defeats the purpose of the draft, but some players have something called decency and they respect the team that honored him with their selection. I mean, ****, if Detroit or San Jose drafted me I'd play for them. Maybe even past my ELC. But something has to be done about this. It's rare that a draft pick ever pans out into a top prospect or a talented player. Especially in the mid second round. It's not fair that an investment in the future like that is totally gone to waste because a player doesn't "feel" like playing for the team that drafted him.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
grits207

I think if I was a Ducks fan the thing that would annoy me the most about this whole situation is that most of this could have been avoided if Schultz had just been honest and told them that he didn't want to play for them. Then they would have at least had more time to try to trade his rights.

Schultz's dishonesty undoubtedly had a big effect on trades the Ducks made or could have made and on their draft strategy. The Gardiner trade is the most obvious example of a move they made because they assumed their D was set with Schultz, Fowler, Sbisa etc. If Schultz had been honest about his intentions then it likely would have been him who got traded for Beauchemin instead of Gardiner since Schultz was the player Toronto was asking for in the first place.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:18 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
I think if I was a Ducks fan the thing that would annoy me the most about this whole situation is that most of this could have been avoided if Schultz had just been honest and told them that he didn't want to play for them. Then they would have at least had more time to try to trade his rights.

Schultz's dishonesty undoubtedly had a big effect on trades the Ducks made or could have made and on their draft strategy. The Gardiner trade is the most obvious example of a move they made because they assumed their D was set with Schultz, Fowler, Sbisa etc. If Schultz had been honest about his intentions then it likely would have been him who got traded for Beauchemin instead of Gardiner since Schultz was the player Toronto was asking for in the first place.
He actually told Murray that he'd sign a contract after the season was over. He was given a contract offer after his sophomore year and he declined it saying he wanted to play one more year before coming to Anaheim. So...yeah. We can easily label him a liar if he bounces.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:00 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post

and that's why we're pissed....if he had told the truth from the beginning I don't think people would be nearly as frustrated with the situation

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Everything Ive read heard about Schultz points to him signing in Edmonton.

It would be an amazing offseason if we draft Yakupov and sign Shultz. I think wed have the pieces for a future elite team then.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote