HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz in this year's draft

Old
05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Sure he doesn't "owe" them anything but that doesn't mean that Ducks fans shouldn't be furious and think he is a complete *********. Any team's fanbase would see it as a huge slap in the face if they were in the same situation.
Yes...exactly. I'd be pissed if I was a Ducks fan too. But having said that, I hope Vancouver is the one that profits from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Everything Ive read heard about Schultz points to him signing in Edmonton.

It would be an amazing offseason if we draft Yakupov and sign Shultz. I think wed have the pieces for a future elite team then.
Really? Everything I've read points to Vancouver or TO

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:

It would be an amazing offseason if we draft Yakupov and sign Shultz. I think wed have the pieces for a future elite team then.
Please do share. Because other than Bob McKenzie saying Edmonton is a good destination because it's in Canada I haven't heard a single indication that he's leaning toward ANY team. In fact, the only hints we've gotten is that he's weary of signing a contract before the new CBA hits or a lockout is enacted, and he's considering returning to Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Yes...exactly. I'd be pissed if I was a Ducks fan too. But having said that, I hope Vancouver is the one that profits from this.

Really? Everything I've read points to Vancouver or TO
As long as we get something back in return.

Honestly, everything anyone has heard is pure speculation. Nothing has been made public from the Schultz camp. For all we know he's gearing up to go sign in Florida.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 04:18 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I don't get what exactly Schultz owes to Anaheim, because they have done exactly nothing to make Schultz a player he is today. If Ducks wouldn't have drafted him, someone else would and that's that.

Shame that you guys aren't living in Europe where teams really get shafted because players that have been trained by their respective clubs since the the age of six leave for NHL. That's a real investment in player, not this "but we drafted you, so you owe us" crap.
This

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:

Funny because all the Toronto media says he is going to sign with the Leafs.

All the Vancouver media says he is going to sign wiht the Canucks.

Nobody knows. Its all speculation and the most annoying part about this is all the fanboys KNOWING he is going to sign with their team.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 05:28 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
In response to the OP,

IF you can claim that NCAA and CHL are roughly equitable development routes to the NHL. Then maybe he gets drafted around the top CHL defenders...

ie. top NCAA dman = top CHL dman. He isn't 17 but neither is Tanner Pearson (he would beat out a lot of younger prospects despite his age)

I would guess top five pick or the 1st, 2nd, 3rd defender taken.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

He will be an oiler July 1st I predict. Oilers draft Yakopov at 1. Then turn around and gun for Schultz. Makes sense for Schultz to sign with the Oilers as well as he is a young Defenceman and will be there top young guy on Defence with lots of playing time. He will grow with the core of oilers with RNH, Eberle, Hall, and Yakopov. Btw I imagine Schultz and Klefbom would play great together

MPStoEberletoHall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:45 PM
thalegion

Kbomb and Schultz would be ideal since they have styles that compliment eachother

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
It would be the first time in a long time that we were significant net winners due to free agency...possibly even the first time in franchise history.
Gretzky?

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Gretzky?
That is a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
Kbomb and Schultz would be ideal since they have styles that compliment eachother
Seriously? A compliment for a player like Schultz is one that plays good physical defense and can contribute offensively.

Klefbom plays almost the exact same style of game as JS.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:13 AM
thalegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
That is a long time.

Seriously? A compliment for a player like Schultz is one that plays good physical defense and can contribute offensively.

Klefbom defines Good physical defender who can contribute offensively....

Old
05-02-2012, 02:14 AM
thalegion

Quote:
That is a long time.

2 way D and a run and gun D, thats the kind of pairing to get excited for.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Chuck Schwartz

I always get a kick out of this situation when people talk like they were in the room whenever Schultz has talked to the Ducks, and know how his conversations have gone with their decision makers.

Chuck Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:53 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
That is a long time.

Actually, Klefbom has become quite the shutdown guy who can chip in some offense from time to time, he needs to work on his offensive game if anything and will get the opportunity next season in the SEL.

I actually think that Nick Schultz would be the ideal partner for Justin Schultz, he's the calming influence that a dynamic offensive threat like Justin Schultz would work well with plus a Schultz-Schultz pairing would be epic.

FTR, i'm not one of the Oiler fans who think that Schultz signing with the Oilers is a guarantee. I think it's silly that some Oiler fans think that although i do think that it would be an ideal fit for both parties.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
teemuselanne

Since when is Justin Schultz signing in Edmonton? Just because he would be part of a younger core and rebuilding defense in which he'd have a lot of icetime doesn't mean anything because he already had that in Anaheim. It ceases to amaze me how teams are already penciling him in their lineup.

teemuselanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:40 AM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemuselanne View Post
Since when is Justin Schultz signing in Edmonton? Just because he would be part of a younger core and rebuilding defense in which he'd have a lot of icetime doesn't mean anything because he already had that in Anaheim. It ceases to amaze me how teams are already penciling him in their lineup.
We're out of the playoffs and have been for the past few years and we're tired of long offseasons. When a top young defenceman (our biggest need) is going to be a free agent and our team is mentioned by Bob Mackenzie as being a great fit you can't blame us for getting our hopes up. Adding fuel to our perhaps futile fire of hope is mention of Edmonton being his favorite place to visit (on his draft profile) and supposed inside information from a poster saying he wants to sign Edmonton.

Not much, I know, but like I said it's just another long off season for us and the most we can do is speculate and hope for next year. At least you can feel good and boast about how right you were if he does end up signing in Toronto, Vancouver etc.

RipsADrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Lacaar

Us Oiler fans have nothing better to do.

Winning the lottery took all the debate out of who to pick in the draft.
Vancouver whom I love to cheer against got eliminated.
There's no chance Luongo get's traded to Edmonton.
There's no chance Suter signs in Edmonton.

Just looking for something to hope for.

Dare to dream Arnold.... Dare to dream.

For the record I think it's crap college players can do this and it needs to be fixed. But sports are way to competitive for me to say my team shouldn't try and sign him because of that.

Lacaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Us Oiler fans have nothing better to do.

Winning the lottery took all the debate out of who to pick in the draft.
Vancouver whom I love to cheer against got eliminated.
There's no chance Luongo get's traded to Edmonton.
There's no chance Suter signs in Edmonton.

Just looking for something to hope for.

Dare to dream Arnold.... Dare to dream.

For the record I think it's crap college players can do this and it needs to be fixed. But sports are way to competitive for me to say my team shouldn't try and sign him because of that.
Better than some crap about how Schultz is well with in his rights, is not being disrespectful, or doesn't owe anything to the team that drafted him

Old
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
I always get a kick out of this situation when people talk like they were in the room whenever Schultz has talked to the Ducks, and know how his conversations have gone with their decision makers.
He's the one that in the past come out and told them he would sign, which was confirmed by Anaheim management a few weeks ago what more do you want?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemuselanne View Post
Because Bob McKenzie speculated, and so their fans think he wants to go there, when there's zero evidence to support it

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Seachd

I hate that the loophole exists in the first place. It's stupid.

That being said, Schultz doesn't owe the Ducks a thing as far as I can tell.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I hate that the loophole exists in the first place. It's stupid.

That being said, Schultz doesn't owe the Ducks a thing as far as I can tell.
When he verbally agreed to sign with the Ducks after his junior season, he absolutely owes us something. However minor or major, the organization goes forward in their business based on things like verbal agreements. When you assume a player like that will play for your team, you tend to look a little less at players who have similar skills.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Seachd

Quote:
When he verbally agreed to sign with the Ducks after his junior season, he absolutely owes us something. However minor or major, the organization goes forward in their business based on things like verbal agreements. When you assume a player like that will play for your team, you tend to look a little less at players who have similar skills.
That's all about the loophole, not the player. The business isn't based on verbal agreements, and maybe assumptions shouldn't be made.

Even outside the loophole, any player can choose not sign with the team who drafted him. Most don't have the guts to go that route because they know they should be happy with any kind of NHL contract. That situation isn't unique to Schultz.

I don't like the fact that Schultz can become a free agent while still in his school years.

But that's the rule for now and Schultz doesn't owe anyone anything for taking advantage of it.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote