HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 9.0

View Poll Results: Which of these three forwards do you want the Habs to select if available??
Filip Forsberg 54 17.70%
Alex Galchenyuk 138 45.25%
Mikhail Grigorenko 113 37.05%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
And before those Galchenyuk was rated well above grigorenko, good thing you omitted them though.
Think of it, that means we would be evaluating 15 year old athletes...

There are a lot of variables when you talk 15 year olds.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:12 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post

That is just so young.........Kudos to the parents.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post

Not sure where you get 15? Yakupov was only eligible for the OHL at 17 and Galchenyuk only arrived last year at 16.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:24 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Trade Nashvilles 2nd to Dallas for Ryder

then Ryder, Weber and 2nd for Yakupov
keep dreamin'

Old
04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yakupov and MacKinnon are very similar players, about the same size with pretty similar upsides. Neither guy is in the Crosby/Ovechkin level as #1 but they are still legit franchise type players.

What puts Yakupov at #1 is he has less risk and is more NHL ready than the other forwards and will make a bigger impact than Murray.
Very similar, totally different upside imo. MacKinnon is at the very least one grade over Yakupov at the same age. He's proving a lot more on the leadership side of things.(The one thing you don't necessarily see on the ice)

Old
04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
And before those Galchenyuk was rated well above grigorenko, good thing you omitted them though.
Exactly.

Seeing as how Galchenyuk was hurt in September, his failure to show any of the pre-september rankings, really doesn't give us information as to how Galchenyuk was rated before his injury.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yakupov and MacKinnon are very similar players, about the same size with pretty similar upsides. Neither guy is in the Crosby/Ovechkin level as #1 but they are still legit franchise type players.

What puts Yakupov at #1 is he has less risk and is more NHL ready than the other forwards and will make a bigger impact than Murray.
On a team with Hall and Eberle and a defense that would struggle in the AHL? I find that hard to believe.

I think Murray even if he isn't at the same level as Yakupov could not only improve all of their forwards drastically but helps out whatever goaltender they are developing and the young dmen. If Murray is ready for the NHL he could be there to guide the less talented guys when they make their way.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Very similar, totally different upside imo. MacKinnon is at the very least one grade over Yakupov at the same age. He's proving a lot more on the leadership side of things.(The one thing you don't necessarily see on the ice)
I talking about on ice impact. Both are game changers with their scoring ability in the Hall/Stamkos mold. However they are not on the Crosby level of elevating the calibre of their linemates with off the charts hockey sense and vision.

Crosby=superstar
MacKinnon and Yakupov=perennial all stars and franchise type players

Old
04-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
On a team with Hall and Eberle and a defense that would struggle in the AHL? I find that hard to believe.

I think Murray even if he isn't at the same level as Yakupov could not only improve all of their forwards drastically but helps out whatever goaltender they are developing and the young dmen. If Murray is ready for the NHL he could be there to guide the less talented guys when they make their way.
Where did I bring up Edmonton in there? I'm comparing those players in general terms to the rest of the top 6-7.

No doubt the need a lot more help on defense than up front, but I think it would be dumb for them to pass on Yakupov.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I remember Howson mention after acquiring JJ that he wanted to improve his blue line. Now, that does not really tell us anything, but if we observe, they do have Brassard and Johansen as the their future top line centers. Not to mention the assets the could acquire on the offensive or defensive side if they trade Rick Nash. Still, I know that Howson has scouted Grigorenko and is likely enticed by the prospects of adding him to his team. There is also always the possibility he drafts Grigorenko to dispel the notion that he, and Columbus, are turned off by Russian players. They do have a young man by the name of Fedor Tyutin patrolling their blue line after all. Oh yeah, and how about Nikita Nikitin? My point being is that they could easily go with either Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Murray. Personally I think it would be intelligent for them to draft Murray because then they would quite a formidable blue line.

Blue line next year without Murray and without trades/signings:

Johnson, Tyutin, Wizniewski (always hurt), Nikitin, Moore, Savard and Methot

Thats a pretty solid top 7, but some of those guys have serious defensive holes in their game.

Yet, their offensive prospects leave much to be desired. They also lack some serious punch from their wingers: Umberger, Atkinson, Prospal, Huselius (always hurt), Nash (to be dealt).

All things considered they should and most likely will select one of: Forsberg, Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. Either way I would happy to land one of Grigorenko, Forsberg, Galchenyuk or Murray.
They also have winger Maksim Mayorov in their system. He played 10 games for them this year and has been on their Springfield farm team for the last three seasons. The idea that all Russians will take off for Russia is so wrong. Many players do stay because they want to make the NHL. Mayorov is someone who has stayed and played in the AHL for them.

I think if Columbus trades Nash they could probably secure a forward, a D and probably either an extra 1st or extra 2nd for him. Giving them added NHL depth at D. Considering the surplus of Ds in this draft, they could pick up a Dalton Thrower or Damon Severson in the 2nd rd, which would help their prospect depth, so no real need to draft a D with their 1st pick.

Add in everything you said about their lack of quality forward prospects, which I agree with, and I can't see how they don't take a forward. Grigorenko can always play at wing. Brassard played well towards the end of the season, but he could always end up as trade bait if Grigorenko proves to be a better pro. Johanson, Grigorenko & Jenner is tremendous centre depth, and you need quality centres to be competitive in the NHL.

I also don't think Columbus is going to be scared off by the Russian factor. I think they'll take either Grigorenko or Forsberg.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
As of now:

1. Edmonton: Yakupov (or trade down)
2. Columbus: Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Murray
3. Montreal: Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Forsberg

I think Murray is probably ranked #3 or #4 on our list, but need will prevail here.

I cant envision us moving up in the draft as I would assume Timmins has Grigo and Gally at a relatively equal standing.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:59 PM
yoteshot
Lazy Habs fan

Quote:
As of now:

I think Murray is probably ranked #3 or #4 on our list, but need will prevail here.

I cant envision us moving up in the draft as I would assume Timmins has Grigo and Gally at a relatively equal standing.
When it comes to the draft, as a fan, we might say we are fine with Galchenyuk or Grigorenko, but the scouting team surely has a preference and don't want to just settle for the remaining one. If they want one guy, they will do what they have to get him, unless they are certain they can get him by staying in 3rd place.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
As of now:

With their history, I doubt Columbus goes for Grigorenko. Most likely either Murray or Galchenyuk. Habs will select Grigorenko at the #3 spot, that I am 100% sure about.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
29dryden29

I want Griffin Reinhart please.... No Grigo no Forsburg I can't deal with more guys that will fail in our fishbowl in Montreal.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
With their history, I doubt Columbus goes for Grigorenko. Most likely either Murray or Galchenyuk. Habs will select Grigorenko at the #3 spot, that I am 100% sure about.
Why?

Grigorenko is not a Timmins pick at all.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I want Griffin Reinhart please.... No Grigo no Forsburg I can't deal with more guys that will fail in our fishbowl in Montreal.
That's an off the board pick. At the #8-10 spot, I'd love it. Not at the #3 spot though.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
overlords
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I really doubt we pick Grigs at #3.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I really doubt we pick Grigs at #3.
Really? Why wouldn't they?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
As of now:

If we pick someone other than Grigorenko or Galchenyuk....I'd be surprised TBH.

I do see us trading down a spot if the one we are targetting has dropped to #4 and use that asset to help move our 2nd up into the 1st rd....maybe?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
The 2012 NHL Mock Draft has been changed (MYNHLDRAFT.com)

I can see Montreal picking Galchenyuk and I am sure Brian Burke will be PISSED OFF if both Grigorenko and Galchenyuk are gone when he drafts.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/
It could very well go that way. However, if Leafs are really desperate for that big centre, and both Grigs and Gally are gone, they may reach for Faksa before taking Forsberg.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Exactly.

Seeing as how Galchenyuk was hurt in September, his failure to show any of the pre-september rankings, really doesn't give us information as to how Galchenyuk was rated before his injury.
Jesus you guys are so defensive

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=220

Quote:
THN's Top 10 for 2012 from Future Watch:

1. Nail Yakupov
2. Ryan Murray
3. Mikhail Grigorenko
4. Nick Ebert
5. Martin Frk
6. Jacob Trouba
7. Alex Galchenyuk
8. Matia Marcantuoni
9. Matt Dumba
10. Gianluca Curcuruto
And that would be before Grigorenko's amazing U18 performance.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Jesus you guys are so defensive

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=220

And that would be before Grigorenko's amazing U18 performance.
Well I guess that Ebert, Marcantuoni and Curcuruto didn't help themselves this season...

Old
04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
That's an off the board pick. At the #8-10 spot, I'd love it. Not at the #3 spot though.
People said that about Price also and look how that has been working out for us.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
overlords
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
People said that about Price also and look how that has been working out for us.
They also said the same thing about Fischer. I very much doubt they take a guy like Reinhart at #3.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Really? Why wouldn't they?
Too much questions marks for Grigo. Don't want another lazy russian on our team.

Closed Thread