HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 9.0

View Poll Results: Which of these three forwards do you want the Habs to select if available??
Filip Forsberg 54 17.70%
Alex Galchenyuk 138 45.25%
Mikhail Grigorenko 113 37.05%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 02:28 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
They also said the same thing about Fischer. I very much doubt they take a guy like Reinhart at #3.
I never liked the Fischer pick I have been sceptical of some of the work Timmins has done.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:29 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
People said that about Price also and look how that has been working out for us.
Price was the best goalie available. Reinhart is not the best D available. Murray could still be there at #3 if Edmonton are idiots.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
People said that about Price also and look how that has been working out for us.
Bobby Mac had Price 7th on his list and he went 5th. Not a huge reach but kinda surprising as we had Theo.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
WestIslander

a lot of people are saying we should trade the 3rd overall draft pick for a player that can help right away and others (like me) think we should draft and cultivate our own players and build with younger, cheaper and more skilled talent going forward.

Here are the 3rd overall draft picks since year 2000:

Minnesota - Marian Gaborik

Tampa Bay - Alexandr Svitov

Florida - Jay Bouwmeester

Florida - Nathan Horton

Chicago - Cam Barker

Carolina - Jack Johnson

Chicago - Jonathan Toews

Phoenix - Kyle Turris

Atlanta - Zach Bogosian

Colorado - Matt Duchene

Florida - Erik Gudbranson

Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau

Based on these draft picks, I think that it's safe to say that we have an 90%+ chance of drafting a future franchise player and star that will make a difference when it counts and hopefully lead us to another Stanley Cup.

Last edited by overlords: 04-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old
04-11-2012, 02:32 PM
29dryden29

I would take Griffin to replace Tinordi please and thank you.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Too much questions marks for Grigo. Don't want another lazy russian on our team.
I dont know if that is fair. Kovalev and Markov have proven very good for the Habs. Who knows how much better Kovy's career could have been if he was a Hab his entire career. Remember Oleg Petrov? He was not lazy. The only lazy ones in recent memory were Samsonov, AK and SK (both Slavic yes, but Belarussian).

There are plenty of lazy American and Canadian players too.

Seriously. Why does'nt Grigo get any love for playing with an injured ankle. Have any of you ever played a sport with an ankle sprain? Your speed is decreased by roughly 40-50% and it is highly uncomfortable. That has to be taken into consideration when judging his character. No coincidence he hasnt played as well since the injury either is it?

Not saying he is BPA, but just do not know if he has as bad of character issues some people make him appear to have.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

As much as i want us to draft a very good forward prospect, i wouldn't be that mad if we select Ryan Murray.

Murray, Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu, Subban. Epic.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:37 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I dont know if that is fair. Kovalev and Markov have proven very good for the Habs. Who knows how much better Kovy's career could have been if he was a Hab his entire career. Remember Oleg Petrov? He was not lazy. The only lazy ones in recent memory were Samsonov, AK and SK (both Slavic yes, but Belarussian).

Seriously. Why does'nt Grigo get any love for playing with an injured ankle. Have any of you ever played a sport with an ankle sprain? Your speed is decreased by roughly 40-50% and it is highly uncomfortable. That has to be taken into consideration when judging his character. No coincidence he hasnt played as well since the injury either is it?

Not saying he is BPA, but just do not know if he has as bad of character issues some people make him appear to have.
I think Kovalev was somewhat lazy to be honest..He would show up when he wanted to most of the time. He had that one amazing year basically..He was so talented yet only showed up half the games.

Markov is a different beast all together and I don't think that Russians should all be placed in the same boat. We just haven't had that much luck with them recently.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

Agreed. I'm pretty big on Grigorenko. My main concern with any young Russian player is them bolting to the KHL.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
As much as i want us to draft a very good forward prospect, i wouldn't be that mad if we select Ryan Murray.

I'd be pissed if we had to endure such a crappy season only to land Murray as compensation for this nightmare. I think Forsberg is our guy but we'll find out in 10 weeks.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Seriously, Sergei Fedorov, Pavel Datsyuk, Igor Larionov, etc, etc. Sure, culture does influence how a player grows up and plays the game, but he is A. playing in North America B. from Siberia, or close to it and that is a long way from Quebec. C. played through an injury (playing through it) D. Is STILL ranked #2 in Bob Mckenzie's rankings, and I trust Bob.

Also, there are plenty of red flags about Yakupov, perhaps even more. This kid has so much confidence, its borders on arrogance. That is the type of guy who's ego could lead him to bolt to the KHL if he was ever slighted.

One bad scouting report led to endless speculation and no one here should or could deny that "professional" opinion does not add some bias to their observation of a player. Sure, it is useful to have those opinions so that you can see something you didnt notice before. But what if now you are noticing something that is not even there?

Yes, he does avoid taking the puck into traffic and does not party around the net like Galchenyuk does. But he does play a 200 foot game, control the game (according to many) and score goals. 40 goals is a hell of a lot as a first year in any league. He won plenty of awards this yr, etc, etc.

I would be quite shocked actually if Columbus passed on him at #2.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

If Yak and Grigs go 1-2, he'd be BPA IMO.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
If that happens, Habs will pick Galchenyuk, the guy they really need and want.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Our center depth is not that bad actually. If we acquired Murray we would be swimming in defensive riches.

"Hey Nashville, how did you get the playoffs ever year again?"

"We believe in a defense first appro-"

"Oh yeah!"

Old
04-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
a lot of people are saying we should trade the 3rd overall draft pick for a player that can help right away and others (like me) think we should draft and cultivate our own players and build with younger, cheaper and more skilled talent going forward.

Here are the 3rd overall draft picks since year 2000:

Minnesota - Marian Gaborik

Tampa Bay - Alexandr Svitov

Florida - Jay Bouwmeester

Florida - Nathan Horton

Chicago - Cam Barker

Carolina - Jack Johnson

Chicago - Jonathan Toews

Phoenix - Kyle Turris

Atlanta - Zach Bogosian

Colorado - Matt Duchene

Florida - Erik Gudbranson

Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau

Based on these draft picks, I think that it's safe to say that we have an 90%+ chance of drafting a future franchise player and star that will make a difference when it counts and hopefully lead us to another Stanley Cup.
I don't understand how you can make a statement like that with the list you showed there. Are you saying that 90% of those 3rd picks are franchise players?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He still tore the CHL up as a 16 year old. There is no question that he has elite offensive talent. You don't excel in the CHL at 16 if you suck. He came back after missing time and put up a respectable 4 points in 6 games.

He's turning 18. He is a young player and if Markov can come back off two major knee surgeries at his age; Galchenyuk can overcome this knee injury.
Galchenyuk finished the 2010-2011 regular season tied for 18 th in league scoring with 83 points in 68 games, he was 16. Every player ahead of him was :

Tyler toffoli : 18 , 108 points
Jason akeson: 21 , 108 points
Ryan strome : 17 , 106 points ( 68 the next year)
Nail yakupov : 16 , 101 points
Ryan ellis : 20 , 101 points
Christian thomas : 19 , 99 points ( 67 the next year)
Taylor beck : 20 , 95 points
Greg mkegg : 19 , 92 points ( 75 the next year)
Micheal latta : 19 , 89 points
Peter holland : 19 , 88 points ,Kale kerbashian : 20 , 88 points , 2 other 19 yr olds at 88
19 yr old at 87 points
19 yr old at 86 points
19 yr old at 84 points
And then 3 tied for 83 points, 1 19 yr old, 1 18 yr old, and 16 yr old Galchenyuk

Id love to see what galchenyuk can do as an 18 yr old in the OHL.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Our center depth is not that bad actually. If we acquired Murray we would be swimming in defensive riches.

"Hey Nashville, how did you get the playoffs ever year again?"

"We believe in a defense first appro-"

"Oh yeah!"
Hey Nashville how come you never go far in the playoffs?

Because we have no one who can score goals.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:58 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Where did I bring up Edmonton in there? I'm comparing those players in general terms to the rest of the top 6-7.

No doubt the need a lot more help on defense than up front, but I think it would be dumb for them to pass on Yakupov.
I brought them up because Yakupov is going 1st no matter who is picking and Edmonton has the pick so they will decide. You said Yakupov will have a bigger impact than Murray but on Edmonton he probably wont which derails your point. Drafting BPA is not always the best course of action. In order to get the most out of their forwards and goaltending they need a defense or guys like Yakupov will just go to waste.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I think you're confusing a lack of willingness to compete every night and go into traffic to poor character.

Nobody is saying Grigorenko is a bad apple or would corrupt the dressing room, but I don't see him having a lot of success at playoff time against teams that will make you pay the price like Boston, NYR and Ottawa.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I brought them up because Yakupov is going 1st no matter who is picking and Edmonton has the pick so they will decide. You said Yakupov will have a bigger impact than Murray but on Edmonton he probably wont which derails your point. Drafting BPA is not always the best course of action. In order to get the most out of their forwards and goaltending they need a defense or guys like Yakupov will just go to waste.
Edmonton can trade down and still get Murray/Dumba. We'd be a great partner for them. Diaz and Murray(#3) for Yakupov? Hell to the yess.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If Edmonton thinks Murray is a better fit for them they should trade down. Indirectly they would still take the BPA in Yakupov at #1. Yakupov for Murray plus another good asset(1st rounder or young prospect).

I could see us trading our 2013 1st plus 2012 1st to Edmonton for the #1 pick. Would be ballsy.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Edmonton thinks Murray is a better fit for them they should trade down. Indirectly they would still take the BPA in Yakupov at #1. Yakupov for Murray plus another good asset(1st rounder or young prospect).

I could see us trading our 2013 1st plus 2012 1st to Edmonton for the #1 pick. Would be ballsy.
I could also see us trading one of Tinordi or Beaulieu + our 3rd overall for the 1st overall

Old
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I don't understand how you can make a statement like that with the list you showed there. Are you saying that 90% of those 3rd picks are franchise players?
Agreed. The only franchise player on that list is Toews, although there are a number of 1st liners that I would be happy to have on my team.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
I could also see us trading one of Tinordi or Beaulieu + our 3rd overall for the 1st overall
I could see Beaulieu more than Tinordi. Even that is a pretty steep price. If you trade your 2013 1st you gamble that you are a playoff team in 12-13.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Beakermania*

Reinhart is an average at best Skater, not a Timmins pick at all.

I'd bet Murray and Dumba who are great skaters, are much higher in Timmins' rankings if we went for a defenceman.

Not that I even think we'll go defence.

Closed Thread