HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win the Draft Lottery (again) - Part II

Old
04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
The Oilers of the 2010's are going to start looking like the Oilers of the 1980's pretty soon if this continues.

An embarrassment of riches in top end offensive talent.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
ChuckWoods

If we are going by "Best Player Available" then it should realistically look like this:

1: Yakapov

2 and 3: Grigorenko and Murray

4 and 5: Galchenyuk and Forsberg

So if Murray happens to fall to us because other teams are picking based on their positional needs then I'll be a very happy person.

That being said, the Leafs do need a Centreman more than a defender, but Murray is no slouch either. This kid will be NHL ready out of the gate, and has all the potential in the word to be a #1.

ChuckWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
So guys, do you think Edmonton winning helps or hurts our draft?

It helps since we had D-men to trade.

Schenn, Reimer, 5th Overall, MacArthur for 1st Overall

Dr.Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
I'm not sure, it just seems like EDM winning was kind of a shake-up. If they drafted Yakupov then they'd have Hemsky, Eberle and Yakupov on the right wing with Hall at left. It just seems like it wouldn't makke much sense for them to draft Yakupov when there are major holes on the backend and in net. They could benefit more from trading down, picking a defenceman and gaining more assets while doing so.
that's what I'm thinking will happen too.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
I see it as:

EDM: Yakupov
CBJ: Murray/Forsberg
MTL: Grigorenko/Galchenyuk
NYI: Murray/Forsberg
TOR: Grigorenko/Galchenyuk

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
The GM of the Isles sounded like a Dman was the main target, so I would assume so.
I thought tambelini sounded like that also, before being handed Yakupov. Hopefully one or two of the defencemen go ahead of us, we really need to land one of the those three forwards. Last thing I need is another defenceman picked at #5.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:01 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
The GM of the Isles sounded like a Dman was the main target, so I would assume so.
That wasn't the GM. Garth Snow is the GM.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:03 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
That wasn't the GM. Garth Snow is the GM.
He was head of scouts I think, but I'm sure he just meant whom ever was there representing the Isles.

LeeIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Taylor Nails Ryan (in the shower) line could be entertaining for sure.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
kihei

vCash: 3202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If he traded for Capitals 2 first rounders it could make things interesting.
I hate this idea. The Leafs don't need good prospects, they need elite prospects. Stay at five or make a deal with one of the four teams ahead of them and move up a couple of notches.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:08 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Taylor Nails Ryan (in the shower) line could be entertaining for sure.
I don't think they'll separate Hall and Eberle...

Hemsky - RNH - Yakupov

Hall - Gagner - Eberle

One of the scariest and smallest Top 6's in the league.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
It helps since we had D-men to trade.

Schenn, Reimer, 5th Overall, MacArthur for 1st Overall
The Oilers might just bite at that.

All the players you listed were former WHL Canadian kids that grew up out west.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kibago

those assuming Columbus won't risk Grigo - why wouldn't they take Gal? completely different risks between the two

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Knighthammer

Ken Morrow was there for the Isles during tonight's draft lottery (I'm sure it only took him about a day to grow out that stache too |)

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nuck
Flatfoot

I was pretty sure the Oil would take a D at 2. I don't see now they have a choice but to take and keep Yak. As an elite prospect he could still become the best player they have. This is an embarrassment of riches. I think they will potentially move Gagner and or Mps at the draft for a pick to bring them a high end D prospect. They will have an immediate need for some sand in the top 6 to address as well.

I think CBJ had a much greater need for marquis star forward at #1 but the fact Murray is as highly considered as the two Russian centers might make the D their best fit. I can't see them ignoring Russians because of their previous bad luck but a small bias might exist and that's all it would take. If there is even a hint of a lack of intensity or work ethic, as has been mentioned with Grigorenko, and they have to be thinking of their previous bad luck with the Ruskies. Coming off a knee injury Galy is not likely to help them next season so he isn't saving anyones job. Forsberg could even be in the mix but I think Yak is the only one who's rep could sell some tickets and Murray is the only other player who could likely step in next fall.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
South Indian Stunna

The talk about the Oilers "needing a defenseman" is the most ridiculous argument....you make it sound as if the Oilers' fortunes are going to be reversed tomorrow if Dumba or Murray or drafted.

We have Oscar Klefbom who is just coming off smelling like roses in the WJC's, and by all accounts is developing as expected in the SEL. In addition to that, Justin Schultz appears to be looking at Edmonton as his first choice to sign currently.

At this point, Dumba does not have a leg up on either of the aforementioned, and Ryan Murray (as much of a stud as he is) is worth passing up if Yakupov is the consolation.

So I can't understand why we would covet a package around Schenn, Gardiner, or Phaneuf.

South Indian Stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

I'm actually shocked they won. CLB was so lowly, I thought it was nearly impossible for them to fall

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

"On either of the aforementioned"

Schultz is not even part of your organization yet.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
darrylsittler27

Edmonton shows the way.

We didn't want to tank.But we missed the playoffs anway.We tried the shortcut,while Edmonton is laughing.They will be feared for years now,while we wont even make the playoffs anyway.The east is improving faster than us and Burke will trade the pick to save his job.Pitts my azz,backfired,did you see Burke's look?Edmonton has shown the way,tank and get it over with.There is no way the team Burke built will win a cup,look a the other teams.

Thanks for showing the way Edmonton.Pitts my azz.Edmonton my azz too!This team isn't even close and trades won't save us,the sharks smell Burke's odour.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Indian Stunna View Post
The talk about the Oilers "needing a defenseman" is the most ridiculous argument....you make it sound as if the Oilers' fortunes are going to be reversed tomorrow if Dumba or Murray or drafted.

We have Oscar Klefbom who is just coming off smelling like roses in the WJC's, and by all accounts is developing as expected in the SEL. In addition to that, Justin Schultz appears to be looking at Edmonton as his first choice to sign currently.

At this point, Dumba does not have a leg up on either of the aforementioned, and Ryan Murray (as much of a stud as he is) is worth passing up if Yakupov is the consolation.

So I can't understand why we would covet a package around Schenn, Gardiner, or Phaneuf.
No young player will knowingly sign in Edmonton, I don't think Schultz will sign here, but there's less of a chance that he signs in Edmonton. Bob Mckenzie isn't his agent so you can't say Justin Schultz is looking to sign "here".

Your defense is horrible, you have 2 Top 4 defensive prospects.

No one said you should pick Murray number one overall, they're just jealous that you're city has been given so much talent and still manage to fail.

Have fun when you have to sign Eberle, Hall, Nuge and Yakupov.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:18 PM
turbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I bet Burke loathed every minute of that lottery draft and wished he didn't have to be there.
No doubt, unlike the Islanders guy who seemed positively giddy about being there for the umteenth time.

turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:20 PM
DPyro

Quote:

Why? Because Mackenzie said so? There is no indication Schultz is going anywhere.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:21 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
We didn't want to tank.But we missed the playoffs anway.We tried the shortcut,while Edmonton is laughing.They will be feared for years now,while we wont even make the playoffs anyway.The east is improving faster than us and Burke will trade the pick to save his job.Pitts my azz,backfired,did you see Burke's look?Edmonton has shown the way,tank and get it over with.There is no way the team Burke built will win a cup,look a the other teams.

Thanks for showing the way Edmonton.Pitts my azz.Edmonton my azz too!This team isn't even close and trades won't save us,the sharks smell Burke's odour.
Shown the way? Edmonton has drafted 1st overall for two years, soon to be three in a row and each year have used their picks to play in the upcoming season. They have literally shown ZERO success and have wasted a few years on their "stars" ELC's, not to mention the terrible contract signing of Hemsky.

Edmonton will start competing two years from now, and they'll need to sign those ELC's, and I GUARANTEE they can't manage Yakupov, Hall, Eberle and RNH contracts for an extended period of time. They won't have long running success and they won't win the cup as soon as people think.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:21 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post

If the goal is to accumulate as many first overall picks as possible, yeah -they've done an amazing job in Edmonton.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:

don't know about "needing" but I can see them liking. they may be able to swap a position or two picking up another asset at the same time, and still getting a pretty damn good player from this years top 10 or less.

but no, I agree, it won't have anything to do with a current Leaf dman.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote