HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Of Who Will Be Available at 5th...

View Poll Results: Which of The Possibly Available Should We Take at 5?
Trouba 3 1.08%
Reinhart 1 0.36%
Murray 22 7.91%
Dumba 12 4.32%
Rielly 0 0%
Galchenyuk 186 66.91%
Forsberg 48 17.27%
Other(Who?) 6 2.16%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-11-2012, 12:41 AM
PeeBee78

vCash: 500
Galchenyuk is a huge risk.....had an ACL injury that required surgery and was out pretty much the whole season....He's just come back.

He could be damaged goods? By the draft he'll have a few games and potentially a series or two in the playoffs (unless they win it all)...

Seems like a risk to me....remember what happened to Antropov after he tore his ACL?

I think Burke trades up for Grigorenko. Perhaps with Columbus? Everyone knows Columbus doesn't want to draft a Russian and the player they want will probably be available at #5....

PeeBee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Torn between Gally and Forsberg.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee78 View Post
Galchenyuk is a huge risk.....had an ACL injury that required surgery and was out pretty much the whole season....He's just come back.

I think Burke trades up for Grigorenko. Perhaps with Columbus? Everyone knows Columbus doesn't want to draft a Russian and the player they want will probably be available at #5....
Thank you. Been saying this for a while now, I am concerned about his health. Talented player, but injury prone and I hate saying this but I wouldn't take that chance. McG is gonna be a steal, in my eyes, he's got the total package.

If burkie can trade up and make a deal, I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited by Giuseppe Sallo: 04-11-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I was reading the Montreal boards, and most are convinced they will be getting Galy. Someone posted that they watched Grigs and he played very floaty and lazy.

I have a feeling it might go Yak, Grigs, Galy.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
I was reading the Montreal boards, and most are convinced they will be getting Galy. Someone posted that they watched Grigs and he played very floaty and lazy.

I have a feeling it might go Yak, Grigs, Galy.
I think Forsberg could be our guy in the end.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:06 AM
leafobserver

I'm not convinced that NYI will be in front of us when 4th is on the clock. If Murray is gone, it wouldn't surprise me if they traded down to 7-11. There are so many talented defensemen available they may be able to add an asset while still getting a player they covet.
I really can't see them taking the BPA in this case, they're absolutely stacked with young talent up front. There has to become a point where you look at organizational needs and I think NYI are there.

Luckily the top 5 aren't really a question mark, but it could be interesting if MIN, CAR, WPG, or WASH make that move.

leafobserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:06 AM
kihei

vCash: 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee78 View Post
Love for this to happen. But Columbus would probably lean toward a defenseman. They'd have to figure that the Islanders will nab Murray, so they would have to like a second D in the 5th spot an awful lot to make the trade. I don't see it happening unless the Leafs make an offer they absolutely can't refuse. Barring that, a deal with a team a little further down the draft might be more attractive to the Blue Jackets than a deal with the Leafs.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Love for this to happen. But Columbus would probably lean toward a defenseman. They'd have to figure that the Islanders will nab Murray, so they would have to like a second D in the 5th spot an awful lot to make the trade. I don't see it happening unless the Leafs make an offer they absolutely can't refuse. Barring that, a deal with a team a little further down the draft might be more attractive to the Blue Jackets than a deal with the Leafs.
Jacob Trouba is available, would that please Howson?

I'm all for it if Burkie does pursue McG.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Schennanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafobserver View Post
I'm not convinced that NYI will be in front of us when 4th is on the clock. If Murray is gone, it wouldn't surprise me if they traded down to 7-11. There are so many talented defensemen available they may be able to add an asset while still getting a player they covet.
I really can't see them taking the BPA in this case, they're absolutely stacked with young talent up front. There has to become a point where you look at organizational needs and I think NYI are there.

Luckily the top 5 aren't really a question mark, but it could be interesting if MIN, CAR, WPG, or WASH make that move.
I agree, I can see the Isles trade down once again this draft. They can easily trade down to 7 and get a solid defensive prospect and add a few other pieces (picks or roster players) And I don't think Murray will be available to them, so this is very realistic I think.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Murray is the BPA and our defence aint all that...

Murray Phaneuf
Gardiner Schenn

Now that can be an awesome defence for the ages.

1 Murray
2 Galchenyuk
3 Forsberg

...for me in that order
Methinks Schultz will be signing with the Leafs to play with his buddy Gardiner.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:12 AM
agropop

one of Dumba or Murray is what I'm hoping for....

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:15 AM
MorriPage

Burke needs to pull something magical off in this draft. Unless this team can be guaranteed that one of Galchenyuk/Forsberg/Grigorenko will be available at the 5th spot, he needs to move up or down.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Peace Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
Burke needs to pull something magical off in this draft. Unless this team can be guaranteed that one of Galchenyuk/Forsberg/Grigorenko will be available at the 5th spot, he needs to move up or down.
I think Burke will stay at 5th overall and pick the BPA. Any assets he decides to use in trade, will be for a #1C or top end goalie, not for a higher draft pick. None of the players in the top five (except perhaps Yakupov) will be able to jump right into the line up and make an impact.

Burke knows that playoffs are an absolute must for next season. Any assets moved, will be for immediate help. This doesn't mean that he'll throw away the future for a quick fix. He'll just use one set of young assets, to acquire a more proven young asset. Just my opinion.

Peace Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:49 AM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher Jackson View Post
Taking a Russian is crazy. Ever heard of Semin, Zherdev, Filatov, Radulov, Grebeshkov, Svitov, Chistov, Vorborov, Smirnov and Kostitsyn, man that is brutal. Burke will not draft a Russian.
good thing galachenyuk is american!

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:19 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
If he's there absolutely Galchenyuk. Followed by Forsberg and Murray. I really want to get out of this with a good forward, but if everyone goes forward in the top 4 I'll take Murray and be satisfied.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:33 AM
ponder

Murray would be my top pick of the options in the OP, but I expect him to be gone. After that, I like Galchenyuk, who may or may not be gone. Barring that, hard to say, I like the sound of Forsberg from scouting reports, but haven't had the chance to watch him much at all. Dumba, Trouba, Reilly and Reinhart all are similarly intriguing to me, not sure how to rank them, all seem like good d prospects.

Last edited by ponder: 04-11-2012 at 02:57 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:39 AM
tmlms13

This might be the easiest draft for the Leafs in a long time.

There is a clear top 5, Burke sits there and watches the other 4 jockey for position and make tough decisions. When #5 comes up he just takes whichever one is left. Easy game.

It reminds me of the Bruins in 2009, let Edmonton do all the hard work figuring out Taylor or Tyler, we just take whichever you don't.

tmlms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:02 AM
stavs

God some people ITT getting so analytical, Obviously a center would be good in this draft. But look at it this way, we are FOR SURE getting either: Murray, Forsberg, Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. NO ONE should be pissed about acquiring any of these players, they all have elite potential to succeed at the NHL level. Is there a worst case scenario to this event? I dont really see it because no matter what, we are getting a really good player. Now if we were in the 6th to 8th range, we could argue about who to choose because many scouting reports indicate that the drop off of talent happens again after the 5th/6th pick.

I will be happy with the pick no matter what, the only question i have regards Grigs and he very well could be the player that drops in this draft due to his work ethic. Truly a tremendous potential, and if we do acquire him hopefully eakins/carlyle will get ihim to understand that that **** doestnt fly at the NHL level.

Other than that we will be acquiring a HUGE asset this June... in the end that's what counts. Don't get too stressed if we dont get "the guy you want" because I'm sure you'll get to love the guy burkie and co. choose no matter what.

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:22 AM
MorriPage

This might actually be one of the rare times where I don't think Burke can screw up. As long as he keeps the pick (or trades up) he should be drafting one of the players mentioned above. Obviously I'd like that player to be one of Galchenyuk or Forsberg (or even Grigorenko, but there's little to no chance he falls to 5) but I'd be more than happy with Ryan Murray if the top 4 picks were used on Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk and Forsberg. It's not often this team would be in a position to select the top rated defenseman in the draft.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Stephen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
I live in Halifax and just got home from the Mooseheads game, i know its just one game but god I don't want Grigorenko anymore. This is the only game iv seen him play(going to tomorrows game too) but he was 100% invisible, my wife was even like "I think there is something wrong with him hes just coasting around, maybe he got hurt" I really could see Kovalev in him. if i was a scout i would have not put him in the top 20 players in tonight's game.

This was game 3 of the second round of the playoffs

Have any of you guys seen him play because I have read that he will play a game like this and then play great another game?
if i was a scout i would have not put him in the top 20 players in tonight's game.
I was at the game too and noticed this. You can't form an opinion on someone based on one game but he was very underwhelming. I like his size, and he does have skills but I was not impressed at all. On a side note, MacKinnon is going to be a stud.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Stephen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshaw View Post
soooo howd mackinnon look then ??
MacKinnon is a phenomenal player. Who ever drafts him will really luck out. He is strong on his skates, hard to knock over, got some meanness to his game. He creates plays out of nothing. I have seen two games with him, and you always know when he is on the ice. He dangles extremely well too. And goes to the board. He completely outclassed Grigorenko tonight.

Other players I noticed to keep an eye on is Jonathan Drouin (Taken #2 after MacKinnon) and Konrad Abeltshauser. Marty Frk would be nice if he was still available at #35. On The Remparts, I took notice of Gabriel Desjardins and Mathieu Lavallée.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
I just named 3. Would you like me to name more 1st round Russian draft picks that turned out to be good NHL'ers? Because I can.

Just because Ovechkin and Kovy were more highly regarded prospects than this year's crop of elite Russians doesn't mean that they will turn out to be good/great NHL players.
Name them. You named 2 first rounders and I named 12 that are not. Datsuyk was not a first rounder.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

xxxx

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Thank you. Been saying this for a while now, I am concerned about his health. Talented player, but injury prone and I hate saying this but I wouldn't take that chance. McG is gonna be a steal, in my eyes, he's got the total package.

If burkie can trade up and make a deal, I'll be a happy camper.

I dunno G, I think a knee injury is a lesser risk than lack of heart.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

I voted Forsberg, basically a slight edge to him over Galch because of the knee injury. If both are available and we take either one, I'm happy.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote