HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Nick Petrecki (2007, 28th, SJS; UFA)

Old
08-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Flyer765

vCash: 500
LD Nick Petrecki (2007, 28th, SJS; UFA)

I came across this guys name when looking through the 2005 OHL draft. And was just wondering if anyone knew anything about him. What team he plays for? College or OHL? Is he any good or is he going to be any good? etc. Also while i'm on the subject any info on Ian Cole?

Flyer765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2005, 10:01 AM
orangeandblack

Arguably the best defensive 89 prospect. played last year in the ejhl, and made the all-star team. 1st round ohl draft choice. was ranked the top dman at usntdp tryout by ushr. will play in the ushl this coming season, and will choose either ohl or college after this season.

cole is a poor mans petrecki

www.uscho.com, good article on petrecki and cole

www.ushr.com, april news reviews ntdp tryout camp with info on both players.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
ktownhockey

Petrecki is probably the best 89 D prospect in NA, if not the states for sure. He has an incredible blend of all the tools that make a solid pro defenceman.... He would have been the 2nd overall pick in the OHL draft if he would have declared his intentions to play there. Anyways he will turn out to be a good one no matter which route he decides to take.

ktownhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Funkymoses

I was under the impression that the CHL was a heavy favorite here. Yes/no?

Funkymoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2005, 07:58 AM
orangeandblack

most speculation is he'll play a year in the ushl and off to plymouth ( i think they hold his rights?) anyone hear if llewelyn is likely to do the same thing? i know he gave a verbal to michigan, but on draft day it was still in the air leading him to slip.

Old
08-05-2005, 01:19 PM
graffsareit

...I guess Orangeandblack hadn't heard that the Plymouth Whaler's offered Ian Cole to be their first round pick BEFORE Petrecki. Cole turned them down along with other first round offers because of his plans to play college hockey. The hype that a players "family advisor" puts out there and to the "ranking services" doesn't take away other players talent. It just gets more noticed. The 89's have many excellent D-men.

graffsareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2005, 08:44 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffsareit
...I guess Orangeandblack hadn't heard that the Plymouth Whaler's offered Ian Cole to be their first round pick BEFORE Petrecki. Cole turned them down along with other first round offers because of his plans to play college hockey. The hype that a players "family advisor" puts out there and to the "ranking services" doesn't take away other players talent. It just gets more noticed. The 89's have many excellent D-men.
If you're trying to infer that Cole is better than Petrecki you'd be the first person I've seen try and do so. Petrecki has huge potential. Cole, while good, is not on his level.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack
most speculation is he'll play a year in the ushl and off to plymouth ( i think they hold his rights?) anyone hear if llewelyn is likely to do the same thing? i know he gave a verbal to michigan, but on draft day it was still in the air leading him to slip.
I think that's extremely doubtful but VOB will swoop in at any minute and say something vague that implies that there's a good possibility that there's a chance Llewellyn might consider the OHL and thus the NCAA will cease to exist.

Funkymoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2005, 12:51 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffsareit
i dont doubt that they tried to get cole, after all hes from michigan and plymouth has probably seen him play many times. cole is a very good player, hes already committed to notre dame, but the consensus among just about everyone is petrecki is the best north american 89 defenseman. the 88 and 89 are real good years for US defensemen. at 89 petrecki is at the top followed by llewellyn, then theres about 10 or so that are impact players such as cole, colby cohen, kevin shattenkirk, dan kelly, joey lavin, cade fairchild, etc. that would fall slightly behind the top 2.

Old
08-10-2005, 07:55 AM
ktownhockey

Quote:
i dont doubt that they tried to get cole, after all hes from michigan and plymouth has probably seen him play many times. cole is a very good player, hes already committed to notre dame, but the consensus among just about everyone is petrecki is the best north american 89 defenseman. the 88 and 89 are real good years for US defensemen. at 89 petrecki is at the top followed by llewellyn, then theres about 10 or so that are impact players such as cole, colby cohen, kevin shattenkirk, dan kelly, joey lavin, cade fairchild, etc. that would fall slightly behind the top 2.
Is Colby Cohen going to play for Oswego this year in the OPJHL? I was surprised he was drafted so late considering his point totals and size I know he probably said he was going the NCAA Route but still Im sure he could have swindled someone.

Dan Kelly is going to be a good dman im excited to see him in Pembroke this year their going to have a really strong club.

Old
08-10-2005, 08:22 AM
orangeandblack

hes committed to the ntdp, and will play there as far as i know. he was chosen after petrecki declined the offer. no one can really get a consistent opinion on him. some say hes the most over rated player on the east coast, others feel he would have been the highest drafted defenseman if he would have committed to the route. theres always been rumors though that he will end up in the ohl, especially around the philly area. i think kelly will also end up in the ohl too. he hasnt really given anyone an idea of where he wants to play, so colleges and major junior really dont know where he stands.

Old
10-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Flyer765

Where is Petrecki playing this year?

the thread title says it all, does anyone know where Nick Petrecki is playing this year? i checked the Capital District Selects website and he wasn't on there 05/06 roster. Also is this guy a potential top 5 pick in 2007?

Flyer765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2005, 01:49 PM
ratsgirl

Petrecki is with the Omaha Lancers in the USHL.
http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/pr...4&seasonid=883

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 08:54 AM
ktownhockey

Nick Petrecki

Nick Petrecki for those of you who don't know is a highly touted d-man from Omaha of the USHL (which is a step between) Jr. A and the CHL. It's a great league with alot of top end taleant coming out of it lately.

I saw Nick play last season in his OHL draft year and he was incredible, that being said I didn't get a chance to see him play alot this year and I was just wondering about his progress?

I saw his stats this year and they weren't all that impressive
GP 56 G 0 A 3 +/- (-12)

Can someone let me know whether these stats were indicitive of his overall play? thanks alot.

Old
05-12-2006, 09:59 AM
hardice

The word from some pro scouts is he didn't do so well this year. He struggled. Sometimes people hear your name enough, they just assume you're that good. It's hard for a 17 year old to live up to the hype all the time.

hardice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 10:26 AM
JJ24

Petrecki was only 16 last season, doesn't turn 17 until this summer, making one of the league's youngest players.

There was a recent online report that his OHL rights might end up with Kitchner. Petrecki is adivsed by Bobby Orr, who prefers his clients play Major Junior than college.

JJ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 01:33 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ24
Petrecki was only 16 last season, doesn't turn 17 until this summer, making one of the league's youngest players.

There was a recent online report that his OHL rights might end up with Kitchner. Petrecki is adivsed by Bobby Orr, who prefers his clients play Major Junior than college.
yea i heard petrecki, llewellyn, kane, and mcrae are all going to report to the ohl.

Old
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardice
The word from some pro scouts is he didn't do so well this year. He struggled. Sometimes people hear your name enough, they just assume you're that good. It's hard for a 17 year old to live up to the hype all the time.
mckeens still ranks him 2nd overall for 2007

Old
05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
I saw him play 3 games in December for a USA team...he was an absolute beast at the Viking Cup, any scout who was there must have left drooling.

Nielson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
yea i heard petrecki, llewellyn, kane, and mcrae are all going to report to the ohl.
I am pretty sure that Llewellyn has a commitment with Michigan for the 2007 season.

Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielson81
I saw him play 3 games in December for a USA team...he was an absolute beast at the Viking Cup, any scout who was there must have left drooling.
That's exactly what I heard.

The kid is an absolute stud. Wouldn't suprise me at all if he displaces Esposito as #1 in his draft.

Old
05-12-2006, 02:51 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
I am pretty sure that Llewellyn has a commitment with Michigan for the 2007 season.
so what, so was mueller and a thousand other guys that went major junior

Old
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Quote:
so what, so was mueller and a thousand other guys that went major junior
Well, I haven't heard anything about him wanting to go the CHL route.

I also feel that Kane will be better suited to college hockey, but that's just me.

Petrecki is a toss up. I hear he's 50/50 on where he's going.

Old
05-12-2006, 03:55 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Well, I haven't heard anything about him wanting to go the CHL route.

I also feel that Kane will be better suited to college hockey, but that's just me.

Petrecki is a toss up. I hear he's 50/50 on where he's going.
ushr has reported that all are exploring the option along with sam gagner and kevin montgomery. i doubt they would even write about it if all werent all going to go to the ohl though. they've had a pretty good track record in reporting this. kane is definitely not going to college, hes going to the knights. its become almost blatant now. llewellyn is sort of like mueller, what benefit does he get from playing in the ushl for 3 years. when youve been ranked that high for so long, whats the point of waiting around to go to college. work out an education package with a chl team, play a few years, and then head to the ahl or nhl. from what i remember petrecki has always said he was strongly considering the ohl, or else no one would have wasted a 1st on him. i just dont think he wants to play for plymouth.

Old
05-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

I never said Kane wasn't going to the OHL. I think it's pretty much written in stone now.

I just said his game is more suited for the NCAA, IMO.

Llewellyn has just always seemd to favor the college game and that route. I haven't heard of any interest in the CHL.