HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roman Josi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
  #1
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Roman Josi

Nice article on Josi. Check out the stats bolded in yellow. He is going to be a huge factor in the playoffs.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=627196

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:14 PM
  #2
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable
 
FlexinMyPeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Franklin,TN
Country: United States
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
He has instantly become one of my favorite players. I hope to see him in Predator gold for a long time.

FlexinMyPeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:30 AM
  #3
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
On top of that, here in Switzerland, he was a sniper. Not THE sniper but he had good qualities in this area and had a much higher goal/game ratio. (we have very decent goalies here)

I expect these qualities to resurface at a point in time.
(i will save you my theories on why and when but you can find them on an earlier thread)

I am happy he landed with the monster on the rise.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:36 AM
  #4
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,541
vCash: 500
Very nice read. Josi has quickly moved himself up the ranks and is my fave behind Weber for Dman. When Suter leaves us this summer, Josi will step right in and we won't even notice very much. I hope Ekholm can follow Josi's path.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:12 AM
  #5
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
The Josi-Gill pairing is going to be a key for success. If they play well I really liek our chances. At times they look incredible and most of the time they are playing really solid hockey. Josi is likely underrated by other teams fans because they simply don't know who he is but he has 1st pair potential. Also that pairing allows us to use Klein and Boullion as the third pairing and I know both are whipping boys but you must admit that is a solid third pairing.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:23 AM
  #6
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
The Josi-Gill pairing is going to be a key for success. If they play well I really liek our chances. At times they look incredible and most of the time they are playing really solid hockey. Josi is likely underrated by other teams fans because they simply don't know who he is but he has 1st pair potential. Also that pairing allows us to use Klein and Boullion as the third pairing and I know both are whipping boys but you must admit that is a solid third pairing.
Josi might have more on his plate if the worry from the media is true about Gill. I hope it is all just getting the big guy rest and a smoke screen per say. Gill/Josi are going to be just as important as Weber/Suter.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
  #7
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,699
vCash: 500
Great read. Hope he can put up big numbers!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
  #8
Shea Weber
Registered User
 
Shea Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
This guy has impressed me all year. Can't wait to watch him play for years to come.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:34 AM
  #9
TheZec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
HF has Josi as #3 prospect in Nashvilles organization.

They project him as a top 4 D, tough from what I'm seeing I would have ranked him something higher than 7.0B.

TheZec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:37 AM
  #10
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
HF has Josi as #3 prospect in Nashvilles organization.

They project him as a top 4 D, tough from what I'm seeing I would have ranked him something higher than 7.0B.
Alright, seriously...how do you rank Roman Josi, who has a dynamic skill set and has shown himself as a steady NHL defenseman this season behind Jonathon Blum, who is a solid all-around guy going through a sophomore slump this season and has been buried in the minors since December?

While Blum is the safer pick, Josi has a much higher upside. Both are great prospects that should go on to have long NHL careers - if Blum can prove himself on his next recall and if Josi can stay healthy, but in the long run Blum's upside is likely as Dan Hamhuis, while Josi I would compare to Kimmo Timonen or obviously Mark Streit.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:02 AM
  #11
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,254
vCash: 500
as much as I appreciate being able to use these boards, HF's titular function (i.e. keeping track of the players who are "hockey's future") seems to be completely lame, or at least whoever covers the Preds seems to put in very little effort

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:39 AM
  #12
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Alright, seriously...how do you rank Roman Josi, who has a dynamic skill set and has shown himself as a steady NHL defenseman this season behind Jonathon Blum, who is a solid all-around guy going through a sophomore slump this season and has been buried in the minors since December?

While Blum is the safer pick, Josi has a much higher upside. Both are great prospects that should go on to have long NHL careers - if Blum can prove himself on his next recall and if Josi can stay healthy, but in the long run Blum's upside is likely as Dan Hamhuis, while Josi I would compare to Kimmo Timonen or obviously Mark Streit.
maybe they base it on the fact Josi hasnt stayed on the ice for a full season and has a concussion history. Josi has more upside, but Blum probably will play more in the long run than Roman.

In a perfect world they play 75+ games for us for the next 10 years

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:47 AM
  #13
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
As always you can not take these ratings dead serious, they're just an opinion, and maybe I'm just being a homer, but at this point and after this season, I don't know how Josi isn't Nashvilles best (defensive) prospect?

Josi came from SC Bern where he was an important piece during their cup run at only 19 years old, he then went to North America where he had two good camps but was forced to play 1.5 years in the AHL due to injuries. He had enough time to accustom himself to the NA game and he looked very solid in Milwaukee. This season, he finally got his chance in the NHL and he hasn't looked back since then. It was the logical next step in his career.

There were some rookie mistakes, but all in all, it was a very solid rookie season for a young defender, and I think you can say he has earned himself a place in Nashvilles top-4, which isn't bad if you consider that the 1-2 spots are as good as set with Weber and Suter.

Of course a sophomore slump could happen, but honestly, Josi managed every step he had to take very well and he didn't have difficulties aside from injuries. Plus, he seemed to be quite comfortable with his role in Nashvilles D, so I don't see why he should regress, except for injuries.

As for his ceiling: If you ask me, out of all the young swiss guys that went to NA in recent years, Josi has the highest upside. I would be surprised if he didn't reach Mark Streits level of play. He has the potential to become as good offensively, and better defensively. And that takes nothing away from Streit, but speaks for Josi.

Time will tell, but at the moment I'm pretty high on Josi.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:51 AM
  #14
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
HF has Josi as #3 prospect in Nashvilles organization.

They project him as a top 4 D, tough from what I'm seeing I would have ranked him something higher than 7.0B.
Not entering into the Blum/Josi debate. I definitely agree that 7 B is inappropriate.

I guess it has more to do with HF not looking at him again this year.
They watched him last year (with a usual natural low esteem for Swiss players), they put him a 7 B.
This year, when reviewing their stance on him, he was injured. Therefore they kept the 7B stance. (as an analyst, when you deal with a prospect behind others more sexy, you will not take the time to dig and ... . In absence of real facts and figures ... they will update it leaving the rating unchanged and putting some common, conventional wisdom tinted "passe partout" comments".

The B rating, means that the analyst was sure at the time that he would be level 7 at least. In fact the analyst must have hesitated between 7B or 7.5C or 8D. He made a conservative choice ... .

I do believe that the analyst, if he seriously looks at him again, will upgrade him without discussion.

My personal rating is 9 C or 8.5 B.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:32 PM
  #15
Kass Effect
Registered User
 
Kass Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Data Corrupted
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
yeah... not sure how he can be lower than Blum. Josi has all the tools, and he even man-handled Hossa off the puck - and that is supposed to be his weakness. Imo, he should be #1 on that list - i think he can be an elite 2-way d-man, I don't see that in Ellis or Blum. 7.0B.... more like 8.0B/8.5 C. Just my 2 cents.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
  #16
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Happy no one came with a 5 D proposal after the stollen puck by Datsyuk in game 3 for the 2 : 1 ...

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:08 PM
  #17
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,530
vCash: 500
Josi is playing solid hockey. He got robbed by Datsyuk ... it happens to the best of them in the league.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:20 PM
  #18
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Josi got his pocket picked by a guy they may rename the Selke for.

The real question is...where was Rinne even looking?

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:23 AM
  #19
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,401
vCash: 500
I created the last two top 20 for the preds so let me comment in Josi:

1. This season - when some of you say that I have not watched him play, where do you get this huge assumption from? I am a huge Josi fan aNd have seen him play this season a number of different times. He is actually on my fantasy team even! I keep track of his progress all the time.

2. Why is he at #3 and behind Blum - when this top 20 came out Blum still had NHL playoff success over Josi. The other issue is the numerous concussions Josi has had, as some of you pointed out.

3. 7.0b - Can he be a 7.5? Sure you can make an argument for that. I love his offensive upside. I still feel he has to improve defensively if he wants to be a 1st pairing guy. At times he holds on to the puck for too long in his own zone and that causes turnovers. I am aware he is improving in that area. As some of you have mentioned, 7.0 is the safer choice for him right now. That does not mean he can't move to 7.5 if he stays healthy and improves his defensive play. However please be aware that hf does not like to change the number of the rating...more likely to change the letter on it.

I would say he is my favorite preds prospect right now. However it's not my job to be biased.

When Craig Smith was on pace for 50-60 points and I ranked him at #5 you guys ripped me a new one. He finished the season with 36 points and is warming the Bench in the playoffs ... Hindsight is 20/20!


Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 04-17-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
  #20
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
When Craig Smith was on pace for 50-60 points and I ranked him at #5 you guys ripped me a new one. He finished the season with 36 points and is warming the Bench in the playoffs ... Hindsight is 20/20!
Guilty as charged.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:55 AM
  #21
MedicBluesFan443
Registered User
 
MedicBluesFan443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Haven MO.
Country: United States
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
I really like Josi. The kid is gonna be really good going forward. More experience will only make this kid a stud. Good on ya preds.

MedicBluesFan443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
  #22
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I created the last two top 20 for the preds so let me comment in Josi:

1. This season - when some of you say that I have not watched him play, where do you get this huge assumption from? I am a huge Josi fan aNd have seen him play this season a number of different times. He is actually on my fantasy team even! I keep track of his progress all the time.

2. Why is he at #3 and behind Blum - when this top 20 came out Blum still had NHL playoff success over Josi. The other issue is the numerous concussions Josi has had, as some of you pointed out.

3. 7.0b - Can he be a 7.5? Sure you can make an argument for that. I love his offensive upside. I still feel he has to improve defensively if he wants to be a 1st pairing guy. At times he holds on to the puck for too long in his own zone and that causes turnovers. I am aware he is improving in that area. As some of you have mentioned, 7.0 is the safer choice for him right now. That does not mean he can't move to 7.5 if he stays healthy and improves his defensive play. However please be aware that hf does not like to change the number of the rating...more likely to change the letter on it.

I would say he is my favorite preds prospect right now. However it's not my job to be biased.

When Craig Smith was on pace for 50-60 points and I ranked him at #5 you guys ripped me a new one. He finished the season with 36 points and is warming the Bench in the playoffs ... Hindsight is 20/20!
I respect you and thank you for having the courage to face your readers !

1) I took the assumption you didn't see him this season because the rating 7 is for nber 3 and 4 in defense.
You see in his game, he will be a first liner. Give him 2 more years and he will be their. Possibly even 1 year ... if Sutter leaves or if Sutter or Weber is hurt.
Which you, by the way, use to say that at the time you ranked Blum over him was because of last year.
So then, maybe you looked at him but didn't change the rating. We were basically talking about the analysis dated december 2011. Not judging the analyst.

2) that he would not be 9 ... ok. i have a crush on him. I accept a clear bias. But then to have him 7, 8 or 7.5 because of injuries. Pardon me ... 7 or 8 should remain unchanged. That is his potential. A B C D is the risk that he doesn't fulfill his potential. So if you fear for his health ... he deserves a 7.5 (or 8 ... ) with a higher letter.
The number is the expected value and the letter is the dispersion (risk).
don't reduce the expected value because the risk became higher ! increase the risk ! it is intuitive but it is wrong.

3) From player in AHL, he became a 2nd liner in NHL. While being a perfect rookie.
It is a step that, when made, can be considered as a risk reduction !! And he adjusted greatly ... showing higher potential and being lined up in special units (PP and BP). He is regularly the 3rd TOI on defense and had 0.33 pts/game.

7 B rating was before of that.

4) Besides ... relax ... you do your job and it is up to us to discuss. You take the risk to write down your opinion ... that is normal. you are the analyst. We are the public and discuss the things ... and HFboard is great for that !

Peace Bro we all love hockey.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
  #23
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,401
vCash: 500
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
I respect you and thank you for having the courage to face your readers !

1) I took the assumption you didn't see him this season because the rating 7 is for nber 3 and 4 in defense.
You see in his game, he will be a first liner. Give him 2 more years and he will be their. Possibly even 1 year ... if Sutter leaves or if Sutter or Weber is hurt.
Which you, by the way, use to say that at the time you ranked Blum over him was because of last year.
So then, maybe you looked at him but didn't change the rating. We were basically talking about the analysis dated december 2011. Not judging the analyst.

2) that he would not be 9 ... ok. i have a crush on him. I accept a clear bias. But then to have him 7, 8 or 7.5 because of injuries. Pardon me ... 7 or 8 should remain unchanged. That is his potential. A B C D is the risk that he doesn't fulfill his potential. So if you fear for his health ... he deserves a 7.5 (or 8 ... ) with a higher letter.
The number is the expected value and the letter is the dispersion (risk).
don't reduce the expected value because the risk became higher ! increase the risk ! it is intuitive but it is wrong.

3) From player in AHL, he became a 2nd liner in NHL. While being a perfect rookie.
It is a step that, when made, can be considered as a risk reduction !! And he adjusted greatly ... showing higher potential and being lined up in special units (PP and BP). He is regularly the 3rd TOI on defense and had 0.33 pts/game.

7 B rating was before of that.

4) Besides ... relax ... you do your job and it is up to us to discuss. You take the risk to write down your opinion ... that is normal. you are the analyst. We are the public and discuss the things ... and HFboard is great for that !

Peace Bro we all love hockey.
Torero,

Thanks. One thing that I will agree with you on is that you have a clear bias!

1. 1st pair - anyone can play on the 1st pair at times. Few do it well and consistently. So far he has played mostly on the 2nd pair and I see no clear proof that he is a 1st pair guy. Does he have the potential to get there? A small chance maybe.

2. 9.0 - this is where you lost me sorry. HF gives a 9.0 to elite talent like Lidstrom and Chara. While I like Josi a lot I don't believe he has that upside. If you want to compare him to Strait that's more reasonable....although he is not there yet even.
When you talk about not "reducing expected value" you are maybe not understanding how the hf ratings work?
He was never a 7.5 so he was never reduced. Hf starts each prospect with a number when they are drafted. For that number to go up is rare and the prospect needs to really show he is on a much higher level above the number given. I would say that if he didn't have a serious history of concussions and dominated this season on both ends then maybe. He still has work to do defensively. I see him as a top notch #3 right now with a small upside to be a #2 but not sold on that yet. Blum was all the rave last season... Half an NHL season does not prove much.

3. Adjusting - see Blum... Blum also seemed to adjust perfectly last season. It takes more time to get a clearer picture of a player.

His number may go up to 7.5 in the future but I feel that right now he is rated adequately. There are many #3 who play both special teams and put up 30-40 points a season... It's not a diss on him at all.


Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 04-17-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 07:59 AM
  #24
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,492
vCash: 500
The kid looked outstanding and dominate at times this series.

His one on one skills are incredible.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:06 PM
  #25
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
I see a great future for Roman IF he can shake the injury/concussion rap. Really thinks the game well, sees the ice. Sure, he can join a long list of players that have been victims of Datsyuk, but seriously in game 5 he was lights out. Suter probably made more mistakes in the qtr finals than Josi did. A real gem, makes you understand why the coaches and scouting staff were so high on him the past 2 yrs.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.