HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

BBurke's April Mock Draft (Picks 1-14)

Old
04-11-2012, 03:02 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

vCash: 500
BBurke's April Mock Draft (Picks 1-14)

1. RW- Nail Yakupov
NHL Comparison: Patrick Kane with an edge
Edmonton continues to stockpile elite talent by selecting the explosive Yakupov. His combination speed, stick handling, shot, and willingness to go into the dirty areas have him poised to be a superstar at the next level. Edmonton is adding to a position of strength with this selection, but lucky for Edmonton, dynamic, game breaking talents are not subject to diminishing returns.

2. C/W Filip Forsberg
NHL Comparison: Somewhere inbetween Patrick Marleau and Corey Perry
Unfortunately the hockey gods were not smiling upon Columbus at the draft lottery and they are unable to select Nail Yakupov. However, Filip Forsberg is a fine consolation prize. Forsberg is almost an entire calendar year younger than Yakupov, and despite lacklustre numbers in Allesvenskan, could be the best player in the draft. Forsberg boasts C/W duality, a heavy shot, willingness to go into the corners, natural finish (for those quick to compare him to Paajarvi), as well as a large frame that could easily fill out to 6'3 210+lbs. Forsberg comes with an element of grit and a willingness to block shots. He is not particularly NHL ready, but he is a lock to become a top 3 forward that can help ease the blow of Rick Nash's imminent departure.

3. C Mikhail Grigorenko
NHL Comparison: Eric Staal-lite
Montreal is disappointed that they will not be able to select Forsberg in this slot, but are excited to add a game breaking talent up the middle in Grigorenko. Although many cite his work ethic as an area of weakness, I believe this can and will be coached out of him, especially if Mr. Roy is at the helm. Grigorenko has elite vision and stick handling abilities, along with a deceptive skating stride and great finishing abilities. He is a threat for 30+ goals in the NHL and has point-per-game potential.

4. D Griffin Reinhart
NHL Comparison: Somewhere in-between Alex Pietrangelo and Ed Jovanovski
After basically announcing to the world their interest in selecting a defenseman, the Isles make good on their promise and select Griffen Reinhart. Although Reinhart is seen in the 6-9 range right now, his elite size, shot, and ability to play in all situations lead to projecting as a top pairing defenseman. He is also very close to being NHL-ready. Reinhart adds a new dimension to the Islanders prospect pool, and would look great alongside Travis Hamonic. Although many have Dumba/Murray above him in their draft rankings, Reinhart has similar if not greater upside than both those players and some team will fall in love with him come draft day.

5. C Alex Galchenyuk
NHL Comparison: Somewhere in-between Jonathan Toews and Henrik Zetterberg
Leafsnation has been craving a 1C prospect and they get him in Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk boasts elite stick handling, skating, and playmaking ability. He is also an extremely hard worker. Although Galchenyuk's knee injury is a concern, Toronto decides his upside is worth the risk.

6. D Ryan Murray
NHL Comparison: Somewhere in-between Karl Alzner and Ryan Suter
The Ducks are excited to see other teams pass on Murray due to questions about his upside, and his age advantage over other players in the draft. Murray is not a flashy player by any means, but will likely find his place in the NHL as a #2 defenseman. Murray boasts elite hockey sense and skating ability. He is a great leader and is known to elevate his game in the playoffs.

7. D Matthew Dumba
NHL Comparison: P.K Subban
Minnesota is very excited to see the talented Dumba take a tumble all the way down to #7. Dumba is game changer on the back end, possessing the quickest feet in the draft along with a powerful shot. Matt Dumba hates losing even more than he likes winning. Dumba could one day end up a dominant defenseman in the NHL, but questions about his hockey sense and size allow him to fall to #7. Dumba is also likely 2-3 years away from regular NHL duties, as he needs to add size.

8. C Radek Faksa
NHL Comparison: Jordan Staal
Carolina selects another former Ranger in Faksa. Radek Faksa possesses a large frame, strong puck protection skills, willingness to go into the dirty areas, and a strong defensive game. Faksa has transitioned well to North American ice and has shown a real commitment to the defensive game since coming over. Faksa will be a great 2C behind Eric Staal for years to come, promising at the bare minimum modest offensive upside (55-60 points), as well as a very strong defensive game. It is also extremely possible Faksa has untapped offensive potential.

9. W Teuvo Teräväinen
NHL Comparison: Martin St. Louis
Teräväinen is a dynamic player capable of controlling a game. He is very quick and extremely creative offensively. He also possesses a deceptive shot. Winnipeg considers Trouba in the slot, but their need for dynamic offensive talent is too great to pass up on Teräväinen, who also happens to be the BPA. Teräväinen adds a dimension of high-end skill to Winnipeg that they sorely lack.

10. D Jacob Trouba
NHL Comparison: Erik Johnson
Steve Yzerman takes another step towards building the Tampa Bay defense core by selecting Jacob Trouba. Trouba has good size, mobility, shooting ability, and plays with an edge. No doubt he will be a minute eater at the next level, and may form a dominant pairing with Victor Hedman in as soon as 2 years.

11. D Morgan Rielly
NHL Comparison: Duncan Keith-lite
Rielly is an extremely skilled offensive defenseman. He has elite vision and skating, and can takeover a game from the backend. Rielly is coming off of serious knee surgery and has yet to return, so he takes a tumble down draft boards not due to decreasing his own stock, but due to other players raising theirs.

12. C Brendan Gaunce
NHL Comparison: Ryan Kesler
Buffalo is thrilled at the prospect of having Ennis-Hodgson-Gaunce down the middle. Gaunce is a big, strong centre that has a pro release. Questions about his offensive upside leaves teams deciding wether he is better suited for a 2nd line role or a 3rd line role. I believe Gaunce has untapped offensive potential and this pick will pay dividends for Buffalo in the future.

13. D Cody Ceci
NHL Comparison: Dion Phaneuf-lite
Dallas continues to add to their growing prospect pool by selecting the BPA, Cody Ceci. Ceci is a big defenseman with a huge shot from the point. Ceci will be able to play tough minutes at the NHL level, as well as being a mainstay on the power play. Ceci should see himself in a stars uniform as early as 2012-2013.

14. Sebastian Collberg
NHL Comparison: Teemu Selanne
It's no secret that the Calgary Flames lack elite skill in their prospect pool. They get this in bundles with Sebastian Collberg. Collberg is a pure offensive talent, possessing everything from a good shot to good vision. If he had the size Forsberg had, we could see this player in the discussion as a top 3 pick.

Last edited by Bernier the Boats: 05-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Not bad but there is no way NYI will pass on Murray. Murray to NYI, Gally to Leafs, Dumba/Reinhart to Ducks, Reinhart/Dumba to Minny

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:45 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Not bad but there is no way NYI will pass on Murray. Murray to NYI, Gally to Leafs, Dumba/Reinhart to Ducks, Reinhart/Dumba to Minny
I have no clue as an Islanders fan if they will draft a forward or defenseman, that being said if they like Reinhart that much they will trade down.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:45 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Not gonna complain about Murray even for a minute, but Forsberg to CBJ seems like a sneaky way for the Leafs to get Gally. Could happen...but I'm not so sure. Also, I'd switch Reinhart and Dumba.

And I have no way of knowing for sure, but Winnipeg seems like their approach is going to be a more safe one. They'd probably take Trouba or Ceci there. Teravainen is a late riser and hasn't really done much to deserve it vs other prospects other than a strong showing at a u-18 tourney.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:31 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Not gonna complain about Murray even for a minute, but Forsberg to CBJ seems like a sneaky way for the Leafs to get Gally. Could happen...but I'm not so sure. Also, I'd switch Reinhart and Dumba.

And I have no way of knowing for sure, but Winnipeg seems like their approach is going to be a more safe one. They'd probably take Trouba or Ceci there. Teravainen is a late riser and hasn't really done much to deserve it vs other prospects other than a strong showing at a u-18 tourney.
IDK if you pay attention to stuff in the media and whatnot, but Howson's supposed interest in Forsberg is apparent. I'm trying to predict the mock draft correctly, not spit you the same 1-14 Craig Button just did.

Winnipeg has in the past selected late risers or reached on players they really like.

Also find it kind of funny/ironic you accusing me of designing the draft so the Leafs get Galchenyuk, when you have him also going to the Leafs in your mock draft and all scouts have him a consensus 5-6. Just interesting.

Last edited by Bernier the Boats: 04-11-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:37 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
IDK if you pay attention to stuff in the media and whatnot, but Howson's supposed interest in Forsberg is apparent. I'm trying to predict the mock draft correctly, not spit you the same 1-14 Craig Button just did.

Winnipeg has in the past selected late risers or reached on players they really like.

no need to get so defensive I understand you put thought into this, I'm just adding my own consideration.

My mock was before CBJ got knocked out of BPA/Yakupov guarantee. Not saying CBJ will take Galchenyuk but it's perfectly reasonable to think that they would. Kid's got a lot of drive, talent, and heart. They'll be nervous to pick Grigorenko...can they pick Forsberg? Sure. Don't know why they would though. They could also pick Murray too. CBJ is too hard to pick. Just seemed convenient that they'd pick Forsberg allowing Gally to fall. That's all.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think if Columbus is going to pick Forsberg, they will try to trade down to 5th. They might be too fearful that Toronto/Montreal/NYI pick Forsberg, but I can't see either for the first two picking him, so it's more of an evaluation of what the Islanders would do. Toronto would likely be willing to put #5 + excess defenseman (probably Blacker/Holzer) for #2 overall.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:45 AM
TrentSteele

I fully expect Winnipeg to take Brendan Gaunce 9th overall assuming that Yakupov, Murray, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and Forsberg are all gone ahead of him. Winnipeg will not take a D, and their doesn't seem to be concensus BPA after the top 5 picks. I can see them attempting to trade down a few picks if they feel they can get him at 11-13.

Winnipeg wants size up front, they want character guys, and based on the fact that Gaunce is a Point per game player on a crappy team, I think they will see him with offensive upside.

To be clear, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with Gaunce at 9, but this is what I can see Winnipeg doing based on what we did last year and what Chevy has said about the types of players he is looking for.

TrentSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:03 AM
pspot

Quote:

Cls cannot afford to screw up this pick
With Galy having questions around health and Grigs around work ethic
I think they go Murray or Forsberg

either way Mtl take Grigs or Galy
NYI a dman
Leafs Galy or Grigs

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
blueNwhite89

Don't see Murray falling past the top 5

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Krazy

Quote:

no need to get so defensive I understand you put thought into this, I'm just adding my own consideration.

My mock was before CBJ got knocked out of BPA/Yakupov guarantee. Not saying CBJ will take Galchenyuk but it's perfectly reasonable to think that they would. Kid's got a lot of drive, talent, and heart. They'll be nervous to pick Grigorenko...can they pick Forsberg? Sure. Don't know why they would though. They could also pick Murray too. CBJ is too hard to pick. Just seemed convenient that they'd pick Forsberg allowing Gally to fall. That's all.
Were you the one who made a mock with to picking trouba over gally because Trouba is an american? and putting gally on the ducks.

But beyond that I have read a few articles saying that Howson wanted forsberg even over Nail. Not that this is for sure, but there have been quite a few articles on it.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:

It's somewhat a tough call. I could easily see CBJ either going with Forsberg or Murray. Didn't think they'd like to go Russian if they could help it, but Yakupov was just that good. But if they sit #2 I could see them going with one of those guys. Of course my view may have a bit of a selfish wish in there of wanting Galchenyuk free for the Leafs .

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:40 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Were you the one who made a mock with to picking trouba over gally because Trouba is an american? and putting gally on the ducks.

But beyond that I have read a few articles saying that Howson wanted forsberg even over Nail. Not that this is for sure, but there have been quite a few articles on it.
Yeah. Kinda did that on purpose but I wasn't taking that mock too seriously. I gave Toronto Gally in my last one.

Old
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:

I'm a leaf fan and I want gally, but imo columbus needs a 100% sure prospect is going to work out, forsberg isn't 100% but people said he may end up being the best player in the draft. Murray is the closest thing (after yakopov) to make the NHL barring injury. Galchenyuk was hurt all season, a team with very little resources imo shouldn't risk taking a guy with injuries. Toronto might be able to take the risk because we have a couple decent prospects coming up (ie Kadri, colborne, ashton, frattin ect ect)

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:05 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentSteele View Post
I fully expect Winnipeg to take Brendan Gaunce 9th overall assuming that Yakupov, Murray, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and Forsberg are all gone ahead of him. Winnipeg will not take a D, and their doesn't seem to be concensus BPA after the top 5 picks. I can see them attempting to trade down a few picks if they feel they can get him at 11-13.

Winnipeg wants size up front, they want character guys, and based on the fact that Gaunce is a Point per game player on a crappy team, I think they will see him with offensive upside.

To be clear, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with Gaunce at 9, but this is what I can see Winnipeg doing based on what we did last year and what Chevy has said about the types of players he is looking for.
Winnipeg won't take a D because?

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Leafs03

as a leafs fan, im not worried at all!! no matter what, we are getting a solid prospect! either grig,galy,forsberg or Murray cant wait till the draft!

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote