HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Warmington: Burke tarnishing Leafs' brand

Old
04-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
This is getting pathetic, I can't imagine any person having to take this abuse on a daily basis for doing a job no matter what that job is. It seems to me that if Burke gets fired most of these reporters will have nothing to write about and be on the unemployment line.

Unbelievable.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Brian Burke has brought all of this abuse on himself.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:55 AM
veedubn1

What a terrible article. It's senseless straw-grasping.

I could care less what God fearing folks think of how Burke talks. I just want to see this team improve year after year under Burke... which it has.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:58 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Brian Burke has brought all of this abuse on himself.
I think Steve Simmons question yesterday says it all "is this the lowest point of your professional career"? Directed at Burke. Nothing like utilizing your grade 12 education to ask and informed high gain question, while taking a personal shot. Toronto media are not used to being called out, at least not until Burke got here.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:02 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
What's your point? I simply stated how things have changed, not that they should be the way they were. Now what was the point of your post?
Saying that everything has changed. Including the language and other things that are deemed suitable for television..

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I think Steve Simmons question yesterday says it all "is this the lowest point of your professional career"? Directed at Burke. Nothing like utilizing your grade 12 education to ask and informed high gain question, while taking a personal shot. Toronto media are not used to being called out, at least not until Burke got here.
Yeah, it's the media that can't handle being called out....

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Imagine how many complainers we would have here if brian. Burke was doing a wonderful job

Do u see who is right behind the leafs in the draft ...Anahiem!

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Gatorade*

Burke is getting exactly what he deserves. It's probably going to get worse and it looks good on him for the way he has treated the media and fans with his boisterousness proclamations, lies and insults.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
bobbyflex

Burke couldn't even win the lottery. What a loser

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

How can people complain about what he said? A reporter asks about the Pittsburgh model.. Burke asks him what the Pittsburgh model was and he said struggling for years and getting draft picks.. I'd be pissed too if this guy is going to ask a stupid question. He already said he was grumpy, he warned them.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

What nonsense. A minor bit of swearing by Burke is going to tarnish a brand that has been in the hands of men like Smythe and Ballard? It's pretty well-known how Smythe and the other owners treated players in their day and do I really need to get into Ballard's antics? Or how about how the group that took over after Ballard's death which supposedly screwed the charities that were to benefit from Ballard's estate? And of course, saying "god damn" is far worse for the Maple Leafs brand than the pedophile ring that operated in the halls of the fabled Maple Leaf Gardens.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:34 AM
toronto murphy laws

The sun is doing a great job of tarnishing Canada's intellect.

toronto murphy laws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Gatorade*

Burke has made the brand a laughing stock and swearing has nothing to do with it.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
How can people complain about what he said? A reporter asks about the Pittsburgh model.. Burke asks him what the Pittsburgh model was and he said struggling for years and getting draft picks.. I'd be pissed too if this guy is going to ask a stupid question. He already said he was grumpy, he warned them.
See...I disagree here. Burke seemed to go off on a tangent when asked about Pitt. What it seemed the question was driving at, are the mixed messages we keep hearing .He isnt a patient man and wants to get in the playoffs, but has no interest in getting in the playoffs and getting his ass kicked. What exactly is the game plan here? If we are rebuilding here and he we are trying to stockpile youth, then just come out and say we have to be patient and keep on same track. Pittsburgh arent a top team due to winning a lottery, they have a nunmber of pieces in place due to patient approach several years ago. Burke can slag them for winning a lottery, but you dont win the lottery if you dont have a ticket.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:41 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
See...I disagree here. Burke seemed to go off on a tangent when asked about Pitt. What it seemed the question was driving at, are the mixed messages we keep hearing .He isnt a patient man and wants to get in the playoffs, but has no interest in getting in the playoffs and getting his ass kicked. What exactly is the game plan here? If we are rebuilding here and he we are trying to stockpile youth, then just come out and say we have to be patient and keep on same track. Pittsburgh arent a top team due to winning a lottery, they have a nunmber of pieces in place due to patient approach several years ago. Burke can slag them for winning a lottery, but you dont win the lottery if you dont have a ticket.
I think you're forgetting what happened for the Crosby lottery. There was a lock-out. EVERY team had a ticket for the lottery and Pittsburgh won it and got Crosby.. No one played that season. So now they have the best player in the World on their team.

I think EVERYONE on this board can agree if we had Crosby, we'd be a playoff team.

So yeah.. He had a reason to be pissed.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
I think you're forgetting what happened for the Crosby lottery. There was a lock-out. EVERY team had a ticket for the lottery and Pittsburgh won it and got Crosby.. No one played that season. So now they have the best player in the World on their team.

I think EVERYONE on this board can agree if we had Crosby, we'd be a playoff team.

So yeah.. He had a reason to be pissed.
It was a weighted lottery. Pittsburgh had the highest odds because they were still in tank mode to build via the draft.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:45 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
ya burke forgot about malkin stall and letang etc ......second rounders are higher too .why does anybody defend burke ......hes mediocre the whole world knows it including his bosses ,live with it

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
It was a weighted lottery. Pittsburgh had the highest odds because they were still in tank mode to build via the draft.
If I remember correctly, it wasn't as weighted as these lotteries with a season are.

Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:49 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
ya burke forgot about malkin stall and letang etc ......second rounders are higher too .why does anybody defend burke ......hes mediocre the whole world knows it including his bosses ,live with it
Letang is a 3rd round pick. Not sure what that has to do with the "Pittsburgh model", most people refer to the first round and again they got Letang because they won the lottery. Same year they picked Crosby, they got Letang.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
I think it's time for a change. In Vancouver Burke was not very well liked by the press or team ownership - he only got his second deal after a very public battle with ownership and they gave it to Burke very reluctantly.

I think it's time the Leafs made a change. The Leafs need someone calm, totally proffesional with a track record to back him up. Just like they need leadership on the ice they need profeesionalism and credibility in management right now.

Someone like David Poille, Holland, Bryan Murray, not a blow hard and a media hound, just a good old Canadian Boy who knows how to build a winning product and brand

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
You going to post one of these every day? Why do we give a crap about everyone with a blog?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Holy Mackinaw

Warmington is a ****** writer and a puppet. Read his stuff. He really is a hack and a kissass.

Today, Warmington blasted Burke. Simmons and Buffery had articles, side by side in sports, blasting Burke. Sense a pattern here?

It is obvious the Sun has a personal agenda. Burke doesn't like Simmons, and Simmons wants to make sure everyone knows he doesn't like Burke, either -- every time he writes.

I like how the Sun brings up the Kessel trade every chance they get -- yet they don't like to mention how Burke got Lupul AND Gardiner for Beauchemin, or Colborne AND a first for Kabs.

An 80-point Kessel for Seguin, Hamilton and Knights still isn't the greatest trade for the Leafs, hindsight being what it is, but Burke absolutely pillaged Anaheim and Boston on those other deals. Yet the anti-Burke trade brigade rarely mentions that.

God damn, Warmington sucks.

Holy Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
samwitch

Joke of an article. It's like he's trying to get the more religious demographic to hate on him or something. I don't see the point of this at all and have no clue in hell how they'd let a piece of garbage like this out to the public.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:13 AM
samwitch

This thread needs more:

If I hadn't watched the press conference yesterday, this is probably what I would have expected. Simmons is the QB and Burke the coach lol.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Stringer Bell

I agree the article is biased and isn't real journalism, etc, but I still found the idea interesting that...

Considering our lack of wins, Burke's constant effort to make him the center of attention is helping hurt our overall image.

To be this abrasive and confrontational when you can't back it up in the win column is just sad and pathetic. It's really making the organization look like more of a joke than when JFJ was running things and when most people didn't even know what his voice sounded like.

Stringer Bell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Stopped reading when it became a "Lord's name in vain" argument.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote