HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Warmington: Burke tarnishing Leafs' brand

Old
04-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Gatorade*

vCash: 500
MLSE took out full page newspaper ads and apologized for Burke's performance. So MLSE is on board with using the media to point out failure. Soon they will also be owned by two media companies.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The best way to get MLSE Ownership attention is to make as much noise as possible, so there is a well planned method behind what some consider madness by the Toronto media. They have already drawn an apology letter out of ownership, in an effort to appease the masses using the media as the messenger to deliver it.

Every Anti-Burke article is another nail in his Leafs employment coffin so to speak, as things claiming to tarnish the "brand" like this article do get the attention of the desire audience and its not message board posters nor Leaf fans that its directed towards as its principle intent.

Burke delivering 2 bottom 5 overall finishes in the past 3 seasons speaks towards his job performance, but his actions and the way he conducts himself publicly by how he represents MLSE as an employee, extends to other issues like this one that has drawn more negative media attention in addition now.
Mess... I'll bet the only paper the MLSE ownership read is the stock market section of the Globe & Mail. Any other rag is just lining for thier bird cages.

This is going to be one hell of a boring town once Burke is gone!!!

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
The best way to get MLSE Ownership attention is to make as much noise as possible, so there is a well planned method behind what some consider madness by the Toronto media. They have already drawn an apology letter out of ownership, in an effort to appease the masses using the media as the messenger to deliver it.

Every Anti-Burke article is another nail in his Leafs employment coffin so to speak, as things claiming to tarnish the "brand" like this article do get the attention of the desire audience and its not message board posters nor Leaf fans that its directed towards as its principle intent.

Burke delivering 2 bottom 5 overall finishes in the past 3 seasons speaks towards his job performance, but his actions and the way he conducts himself publicly by how he represents MLSE as an employee, extends to other issues like this one that has drawn more negative media attention in addition now.
Burke is a very active member in the Toronto community and portrays this orgainization very well in that regard. He is an activist for gay rights, donates to the police, attends a number of charity events, makes his players attend charity and is an extremely involved person in Toronto charities.

Brian Burke is an outstanding member of the community and I am proud of what he does for Toronto. If he vents his frustrations on a few members of teh media then so be it.

You guys put way to much stock in how much MLSE cares about how Burke treats the media. MAybe you should read a few of the other articles on what he gives back to Toronto!! People have become so selfish and bitter that they don;t care about the good he does, only how some schmuck like Cox or whoever rips him apart.

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneArmedMan View Post
Soon as I saw this was from the Toronto Sun I didn't even read it. I just came in to laugh at this thread and people who post Sun articles.
Did you read the MLSE apology letter in the Sun the other day?

"Leafs fans woke up to an unusual surprise on Tuesday morning: MLSE chair Larry Tanenbaum had taken out a full-page ad in several daily news-papers to apologize for the Leafs’ poor performance this season".

MLSE BOG had no problem using the Toronto newspaper media, so you know they're well aware of what is being printed and do care what is being said, as they themselves are utilizing its resources to send their own messages to the public through its distributorship.

Will "tarnishing the brand" claiming articles like this one, require further MLSE involvement to address the action of their employee and acknowledge that the behaviour has offended some of their clientele ?

Last edited by Mess: 04-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Burke is a very active member in the Toronto community and portrays this orgainization very well in that regard. He is an activist for gay rights, donates to the police, attends a number of charity events, makes his players attend charity and is an extremely involved person in Toronto charities.

Brian Burke is an outstanding member of the community and I am proud of what he does for Toronto. If he vents his frustrations on a few members of teh media then so be it.

You guys put way to much stock in how much MLSE cares about how Burke treats the media. MAybe you should read a few of the other articles on what he gives back to Toronto!! People have become so selfish and bitter that they don;t care about the good he does, only how some schmuck like Cox or whoever rips him apart.
Very well said. Once Burke is gone all we'll hear is Cricket, Cricket, Cricket.

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Are they really making a big deal about saying "god damn"? People need to loosen up a bit...
He also said "a-s-s". That has to be grounds for dismissal, or at least the forfeiture of a high draft pick.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Rhinorage

All I have to say is use logic and reasoning to dictate what your thought process will be on a subject like this. The fact is Brian Burke could have handled the press conference with a bit more tact but it was obvious the question was designed to get him to react in that manner. Religious zealots will always come out of the woodwork and claim great harm was all of a sudden done in the name of God because one man spoke sinful words. Burke's job is to be a spokesperson for the leafs and his hot headed antics got him to the point where he used gods name in vain.

Regardless he made a mistake he is a human being not a divine person out to preach the word of god to everyone that is not his job in this life. Don't get bent out of shape if he used certain words you do not like I am sure if you came out and said you were hurt by those words he would apologize he was just angry in the heat of the moment it happens to us all. If you follow god then forgive as god teaches you to do.

Also it is pretty obvious the article is using this issue to draw attention to the fact that they want Burke out and will use this sort of negative publicity as a way to achieve their goals but that is based on my opinion of what I perceive to be logical.

Rhinorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post

Doing good things doesn't "tarnish Leafs brand", but those that offend do.

How is Harold Ballard remembered, as I doubt very few know this about his legacy.

Quote:
The Harold E. Ballard Foundation was founded in 1993 and seeks to improve society and the lives of Canadians. It is philanthropy based on the wishes of Harold Ballard, as stated in his will. Those wishes were that primary benefactors would be:
  • the Wellesley Hospital (St. Michael's Hospital),
  • the Salvation Army,
  • the Bloorview MacMillan Hospital and
  • organizations that treat and care for cancer patients.
During his lifetime, Mr. Ballard contributed generously to the Wellesley Hospital, the Ontario Cancer Society and was a member of the Board of Directors of the Ontario Crippled Children Centre.

Recently, major contributions were provided by The Harold E. Ballard Foundation to the:
Other organizations that the foundation has funded include the Diabetes Hope Foundation, Hospice Niagara, Sherbourne Health Centre, Countryside Camp Conference Centre, Safehaven, Easter Seals Ontario, the Anishinabek Nation Seventh Generation Charity, Covenant House Toronto, Moorelands Community Services, Street Health and the Stop Community Food Centre.

The Harold E. Ballard Foundation is managed by a dedicated Board of Directors who continue to ensure that the wishes of the late Mr. Ballard are honoured.

Seems like a lot of charity work continues in his name today well after his death, but he is remembered most for his actions that angered and offended Leaf nation, and little towards the good.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Are they really making a big deal about saying "god damn"? People need to loosen up a bit...
Umm, it is a big deal one reason why it's bleeped out on major television networks unless you're watching HBO or something that allows offensive words freely. Were not allowed to post "shi*" or "fu**" but we can say "g*d damn" on this forum, weird. I hear people use it far too much on this forum, the leafs get scored on "g*d damnit!" the leafs score an amazing goal "g*d dammmmn that was awesome" etc, etc... really? Why say this? What is even funnier is if people who use this curse word and are not even Christian/Muslim/Jewish. Isn't it kind of like an oxymoron which makes you look silly. People really don't know how else to display disgust for something without using those words?

Next time you are about to post such a phrase, ask yourself 1) are you Christian, Muslim or Jewish? If no then you're making yourself look foolish and ignorant by swearing at something you don't subscribe to anyways, and 2) if you are Christian/Muslim/Jewish you're not very respectful to your Lord and you should think about why you are resorting to such an extreme sentiment over a hockey play you don't agree with. Think about it. I'll put on my s**t suit now to protect from the almost certain attacks and mockery I'll receive from some here. Doesn't matter I made a great point, people with a little IQ can see that.

Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Antropovsky

I like Burke, I think he's a bright man, but he himself underestimated the Toronto media and in my opinion, like alot of players have and will continue to do, Burke is losing to the pressure.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:21 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

So you are on board with writers who lie about things like Burke calling the entire media "********" creating the direction for the team and basically dictating who can be GM.

Not surprising, actually.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Doing good things doesn't "tarnish Leafs brand", but those that offend do.

How is Harold Ballard remembered, as I doubt very few know this about his legacy.

Seems like a lot of charity work continues in his name today well after his death, but he is remembered most for his actions that angered and offended Leaf nation, and little towards the good.
Well now your changing the argument. We were never talking about his legacy or how he will be remebered???

You said

Quote:
but his actions and the way he conducts himself publicly by how he represents MLSE as an employee, extends to other issues like this one that has drawn more negative media attention in addition now.
You said the way he conducts himself publicly brings negative media attention and damages the image of MLSE.

HE conducts himself in a respectful and admirable way publicly and is an advocate for the city of Toronto and a active member in many issues! He in no way reflects poorly on MLSE and I am personally extremely proud of how our GM acts publicly.

We can't let these little blog-writting idiots brainwash us into thinking evrything is negative and make us forget the good things that have been done too.

Did this reprter march in the gay-pride parade?
Did this reporter donate a horse to the police?
Did this reporter lose a child and instead of cracking, use the courage that child showed and continue his fight??

I don't know? But I hope he's done something alot more than sit there and trash Burke for saying "*********" because god will be a lot more forgiving on a guy who aids his fellow-man but accidently uses his name in vein than a guy who only condemns his fellow-man for using his name-in-veoin.

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:24 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:

I'll go out on a limb and predict that MLSE knows how the Team has preformed without having to read it in the paper.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
SexyJoffreyLupul

by reading the sun, you have contributed to the problem.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:35 AM
ponder

It's hockey, being aggressive, to the point, and "uncouth" is expected. Just look at John Tortorella, he's about as abrasive as it gets, but he's one of the more respected coaches in the league. If Burke gets fired, it'll be because he hasn't done a good job building the team, NOT because he's rude to the media.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Ometheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I wasn't referring to the media. I said he has made a laughing stock of the brand because he is chief architect of the worst playoff drought in Maple Leaf history.
Burke's been with us since the lockout?

Yeesh.

Ometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Ometheus

Quote:
Calling somebody a spoiled baby due to a difference in opinion is a personal attack.
Or an metaphorical observation.

Ometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I'll go out on a limb and predict that MLSE knows how the Team has preformed without having to read it in the paper.
Again that wasn't my point.

The issue here seems to be of the opinion that the Toronto media Sun and Star should be ignored or silenced or disregarded outright, but its the very same media outlet that MLSE chairman Larry Tannenbaum used to send this apology letter to Leafs nation for the poor performance of the team.

He is well aware of the teams performance without needing to read about it, because he is often sitting in the seats at the ACC watching it unfold live.. However I'm sure he was hoping a lot of fans, season ticket holders and sponsors etc picked up the Sun/Star newspaper and read his letter addressed to the them in it and it wasn't ignored..

Point being MLSE is well aware and cognizant of what is being said and written about them and realizes as to the vast numbers of the population it extends to. Claims of "tarnishing the brand" by disrespectful comments made in public by their personnel will not go unnoticed by those who it affects most.

Someone should check Burke's cellphone and see if he has been contacted recently by Mr. Tannenbaum or other MLSE executive, in regards to offending fans by his choice of words. This article might even draw a response from someone within the organization to address the issue.

The more MLSE has to run behind Burke apologizing for his actions on & off the ice, the shorter his employment representing the brand and the team is expected to be.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometheus View Post
Burke's been with us since the lockout?

Yeesh.
4 years is a Leaf record for the GM. Yeesh

Old
04-11-2012, 11:54 AM
birddog*

Quote:
The article was in The Toronto Sun.
Read nationally.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:58 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
4 years is a Leaf record for the GM. Yeesh
Of course, we're also at a point in time where only 53% of teams make the playoffs. I believe it's the second lowest percentage in the last 70 years or so. Personally, I think the Leafs were worse in the 80s but since 17/21 (81%) of teams made the playoffs a lot of years, they didn't appear to be as bad.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:00 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Again that wasn't my point.

The issue here seems to be of the opinion that the Toronto media Sun and Star should be ignored or silenced or disregarded outright, but its the very same media outlet that MLSE chairman Larry Tannenbaum used to send this apology letter to Leafs nation for the poor performance of the team.

He is well aware of the teams performance without needing to read about it, because he is often sitting in the seats at the ACC watching it unfold live.. However I'm sure he was hoping a lot of fans, season ticket holders and sponsors etc picked up the Sun/Star newspaper and read his letter addressed to the them in it and it wasn't ignored..
Point being MLSE is well aware and cognizant of what is being said and written about them and realizes as to the vast numbers of the population it extends to. Claims of "tarnishing the brand" by disrespectful comments made in public by their personnel will not go unnoticed by those who it affects most.

Someone should check Burke's cellphone and see if he has been contacted recently by Mr. Tannenbaum or other MLSE executive, in regards to offending fans by his choice of words. This article might even draw a response from someone within the organization to address the issue.

The more MLSE has to run behind Burke apologizing for his actions on & off the ice, the shorter his employment representing the brand and the team is expected to be.
Burke already sent us an apology video a few weeks ago.

Tannenbaum specifically mentioned that he was apologizing for Burke? I read it over quickly and thought he was endorsing Burke and his plan.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Read nationally.
It is? How? By whom?

Old
04-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Of course, we're also at a point in time where only 53% of teams make the playoffs. I believe it's the second lowest percentage in the last 70 years or so. Personally, I think the Leafs were worse in the 80s but since 17/21 (81%) of teams made the playoffs a lot of years, they didn't appear to be as bad.
This is the only team in the league to not play a playoff game in this era. That's pretty bad when we are talking about the team that calls itself the flagship and has the most resources available to it.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Burke already sent us an apology video a few weeks ago.

Tannenbaum specifically mentioned that he was apologizing for Burke? I read it over quickly and thought he was endorsing Burke and his plan.
Burke didn't say he was sorry in that video. He talked about the ups and downs but nowhere did he apologize.