HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Warmington: Burke tarnishing Leafs' brand

Old
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Leafsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Burke didn't say he was sorry in that video. He talked about the ups and downs but nowhere did he apologize.
Oh?!?!? Well, your probably getting a extra awesome special personalized one just for you! I'd be checking your inbox for it! He's probably extra sorry for everything you went through personally!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Burke already sent us an apology video a few weeks ago.

Tannenbaum specifically mentioned that he was apologizing for Burke? I read it over quickly and thought he was endorsing Burke and his plan.
MLSE Chief Operating officer Tom Anselmi took it a step further today, apologizing for the team and making further promises to address complaints personally.

Quote:
Apologies don't cut it, fans want wins
By Mike Zeisberger, QMI AGENCY

There were almost as many apologies issued by the Maple Leafs this week as we heard from Exxon 23 years ago when the Exxon Valdez oil spill turned the Alaska coast into a black gooey ecological disaster.

In a 24-hour span, defenceman Cody Franson, team co-owner Larry Tanenbaum and even president/general manager Brian Burke all told the team’s faithful supporters they were sorry for the sub-par product that was offered up to fans who shell out the highest ticket prices in the National Hockey League.

While Burke’s job seems safe for now, there is no doubt both Tanenbaum and the board of directors of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment understand the bitterness and venom flowing through an angry fan base.

While Tanenbaum opted to deliver his message in an open letter to Leaf fans that ran in the major Toronto dailies on Tuesday, a letter was sent out to Maple Leaf season ticket holders on Monday night detailing the so-called “state of the union.”

To that end, Tom Anselmi, chief operating officer of MLSE, is vowing that this is not just idle chatter either. Anselmi, one of the leading candidates for the vacant MLSE president’s job that opened up with the retirement of Richard Peddie, claims he will personally get back to any season ticket holder who reaches out to him with their concerns.

“I gave them an e-mail address (in the letter) and I’m going to respond to every one of them if they want to call,” Anselmi said on Tuesday at the Air Canada Centre, where Burke and coach Randy Carlyle were holding their end-of-season addresses.

I’ll guarantee I’m going to talk to every one of them if they reach out. Send me an email address. Give me a phone number. We’re going to call them, we’re going to talk to them. Because I want them to understand that this is upsetting us just as much as it is upsetting them. And that’s not fair. They’re the ones who are paying their hard earned dollars".

Full Story: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19615666.html
Seems a lot of senior MLSE execs are feeling compelled to get involved now, trying to douse the flames, clean up and appease the masses for Burke's performance, and this new issue today only more fuel on an already raging fire their attempting to contain.

"I want them to understand that this is upsetting us just as much as it is upsetting them. And that’s not fair".

Last edited by Mess: 04-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
It is? How? By whom?
You might have heard of this thing called the Internet that exists today.

I'm a Leaf fan living in BC and can read the very same articles any Leaf fan can living in the GTA just be typing "Toronto Sun" into my google search.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Holy Mackinaw

That ad was a farce. Nothing more than damage control.

If MLSE is so sorry and wants to take this "you deserve better" stance, how abour a 10% refend to season ticket holders? If they are so unhappy with Burke's job and can sense the uneasiness amongst the fans, why not just tie the can to Burke?

Holy Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:43 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
MLSE Chief Operating officer Tom Anselmi took it a step further today, apologizing for the team and making further promises to address complaints personally.

Seems a lot of senior MLSE execs are feeling compelled to get involved now, trying to douse the flames, clean up and appease the masses for Burke's performance, and this new issue today only more fuel on an already raging fire their attempting to contain.

"I want them to understand that this is upsetting us just as much as it is upsetting them. And that’s not fair".
That's okay, think about the customer but just don't be stupid enough to let them dictate what you do.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post

If MLSE is so sorry and wants to take this "you deserve better" stance, how abour a 10% refend to season ticket holders? If they are so unhappy with Burke's job and can sense the uneasiness amongst the fans, why not just tie the can to Burke?
The Leafs are on the cusp of new owners. These new owners are media companies. Burke will likely tie the proverbial can to himself if he keeps up his hostilities with the media.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:49 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Why should they refund anything to the season ticket holders? Was there something in the agreement that the purchaser signed that wasn't delivered?

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:49 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
You might have heard of this thing called the Internet that exists today.

I'm a Leaf fan living in BC and can read the very same articles any Leaf fan can living in the GTA just be typing "Toronto Sun" into my google search.
Maybe you're not familiar with the term "National Newspaper" but being able to view a paper on the Internet hardly makes it "National".

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Leafsman

Quote:

Burke's performance???? What about Nonis, Fletcher, Dudley, Loiselle, Allaire, Wilson, CArlyle, Assistant Coach's, Phanuef, Komi, Kessel, Lupul. Bozak, Grabo, Kule, Connolly, Armstrong............................

Burke iced the team.. The performance falls on the player!

Should Connolly not apologize for signing a sizeable contract and not living up to even partof it?

Should Armstrong not apologize for not fulfilling his end of the contract!

Etc, etc...

Why shoudl Burke apologize for everything and be the sole benficiary of an entire nation's anger!

That team shoudl have performed far better than they did! Most of our blame has been directed at Burke when most of it shoudl be directed at players who didn;t do their end!

Tired of all this whipping boy mentality of Leafs Nation! The blame and fault never goes to teh people responsible it just gets concentrated and targeted on whoever is easiest! Hard to keep blaming a lot of people so let's just focus it on one!

Komi shoudl have been a great signing but he **** the bed!!!

Armstrong was a good signiong but he got injured and called her quits!

Connolly decided to grab a contract and then play occassionally when he felt like it!

I am not excusing his role in this meltdown but jesus christ, let's think rationally and target the blame where it rightfully belongs and not all of it belongs in the lap of Burke. He iced the team but that is all he can do!! He can't go Weekend at Bernie's and control these guys withlevers and pulleys to ensure they live up to their end!

Old
04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Maybe you're not familiar with the term "National Newspaper" but being able to view a paper on the Internet hardly makes it "National".
The Sun is delivered across Canada.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Leafs are on the cusp of new owners. These new owners are media companies. Burke will likely tie the proverbial can to himself if he keeps up his hostilities with the media.
I don't know. The Leafs GM blowing up at the media makes good material for sports news and discussion shows. So, hed just be providing more of what they are purchasing MLSE for: content. Plus if the GM is at odds with their on-air personel and is criticized because of it, it looks like they are not completely favoring the Leafs in their coverage.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
4 years is a Leaf record for the GM. Yeesh
Sooo we haven't won a cup since 67 and we've never had a GM that lasted longer than 4 years.

Coincidence?

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Burke's performance???? What about Nonis, Fletcher, Dudley, Loiselle, Allaire, Wilson, CArlyle, Assistant Coach's, Phanuef, Komi, Kessel, Lupul. Bozak, Grabo, Kule, Connolly, Armstrong............................

Burke iced the team.. The performance falls on the player!

Should Connolly not apologize for signing a sizeable contract and not living up to even partof it?

Should Armstrong not apologize for not fulfilling his end of the contract!

Etc, etc...

Why shoudl Burke apologize for everything and be the sole benficiary of an entire nation's anger!

That team shoudl have performed far better than they did! Most of our blame has been directed at Burke when most of it shoudl be directed at players who didn;t do their end!

Tired of all this whipping boy mentality of Leafs Nation! The blame and fault never goes to teh people responsible it just gets concentrated and targeted on whoever is easiest! Hard to keep blaming a lot of people so let's just focus it on one!

Komi shoudl have been a great signing but he **** the bed!!!

Armstrong was a good signiong but he got injured and called her quits!

Connolly decided to grab a contract and then play occassionally when he felt like it!

I am not excusing his role in this meltdown but jesus christ, let's think rationally and target the blame where it rightfully belongs and not all of it belongs in the lap of Burke. He iced the team but that is all he can do!! He can't go Weekend at Bernie's and control these guys withlevers and pulleys to ensure they live up to their end!
Burke gets the blame. He built the team and had told us it would be different.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Leafsman

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that!!! Rogers and Bell are going to fire Burke cause he got angry with some nobody on am-whatever or gave a short answer to some reporter at a press conference! Your so friggin delusional that it is past the point of help!

NOBODY at MLSE or the new ownership give a **** about some pissant beat reporter and their feelings!! NOBODY!!! Simmons, Cox, Berger and whoever else are not the media! CNN, MSNBC and other news outlets are the media! These little blog-posting morons are just idiots who get far too much attention on these boards.

My dad spends a good amount of time watching the news and reading evrey paper and has been a Leaf fan since before colour TV and I have to tell him who Damien Cox is or these other reporters!

Old
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Sun is delivered across Canada.
Is it? I know there are local varieties available across the country, but I remember not being able to buy the Toronto Sun in Eastern Ontario, because only the Ottawa Sun was available. And while they share content, they are not the same paper.

And by delivered, do you mean door-to-door delivery or do you mean that you can subscribe and get them to mail it to you? Because the latter can be done with alomost any paper.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Sooo we haven't won a cup since 67 and we've never had a GM that lasted longer than 4 years.

Coincidence?
Sure we have had GMs for longer than four years since 1967. However, Burke is the only one to miss the playoffs four years in a row since the Leafs came into existence. In fact none had even missed three prior to Burke.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Hahaha, oh wow. How many more of these piece of **** articles until the Leafs hit the ice again?

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That's okay, think about the customer but just don't be stupid enough to let them dictate what you do.
What they want as Owners, is the same thing we as fans want, and that is a winning hockey team. Fans/season ticket holders are their clients so keeping them happy is the key goal and does dictate and influence actions.

From the same article today as Tom Anselmi continues ...
Quote:
According to critics, MLSE’s motivation for on-ice success is centered around the additional revenues created from playoff gates, yet another notion Anselmi was quick to dismiss.

“I don’t even look at it that way,” Anselmi said. “It’s about winning. It’s about doing right by your fans. This is what we’re all in this for.“Yes, this is a business. But it’s a business based on emotion, about passion and about caring. These fans care. You owe them a great product. And when it’s not good enough, that’s not good enough.

“What was in the paper was just a real honest expression of how our owners (and board members) are feeling. You know, we’re all fans. We sympathize with the fans. We had expectations this year and we didn’t meet those expectations. That’s just not right. So that’s what that was about in the paper today.

“It’s a real disappointment. You go into every year wanting to succeed. (Burke’s staff) is three years and change into building a team. They thought they were going to take a step this year that didn’t happen. Everyone’s disappointed, Expectations were higher this year and we didn’t live up to them.”

Old
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Is it? I know there are local varieties available across the country, but I remember not being able to buy the Toronto Sun in Eastern Ontario, because only the Ottawa Sun was available. And while they share content, they are not the same paper.

And by delivered, do you mean door-to-door delivery or do you mean that you can subscribe and get them to mail it to you? Because the latter can be done with alomost any paper.
Mail and they also have Edelivery available.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Leafsman

Quote:
Burke gets the blame. He built the team and had told us it would be different.

So did your mechanic, your contractor, your dentist, your accountant, the salesperson at Sears, the girl in the drivethrough at McD's! Your mom probably told you you could be priminister one day!

**** happens, things don;t go as planned! Get over it! He said in the press conference.

" I was hopeful we can do it faster, we haven't"
"I don;t like what's happened here, I don;t like the lack of progress. Obviously I am the one driving thebus, I am ultimately responsible. I am not happy with were we are today. I thought we'd be further"

- He admitted he thought it would be quicker, it wasn;t! He took responsibility for it and stated that he is not satisifed with what has happened!

You want to lynch the guy for overestimating how long this was gonna take. You want him fired because he was hoping hew can do it faster but was unable to??? The guys human and the team was **** and it is gonna take longer! Either get over it or get out of it!

Old
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
veedubn1

Quote:

A 10% refund? Did someone hold a gun to their heads and tell them they had to purcahse season tickets? Get real.

Fire a GM because the fans are uneasy? I guess the Rangers should have fired Glen Sather 5 years ago when the Rangers were really bad.. because trusting their decision to hire Sather and sticking to his plan certainly hasn't yielded any positive results... oh wait.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
What they want as Owners, is the same thing we as fans want, and that is a winning hockey team. Fans/season ticket holders are their clients so keeping them happy is the key goal and does dictate and influence actions.

From the same article today as Tom Anselmi continues ...

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leafsman

Quote:
Sure we have had GMs for longer than four years since 1967. However, Burke is the only one to miss the playoffs four years in a row since the Leafs came into existence. In fact none had even missed three prior to Burke.
So what????? Thanks for the trivia answer!! But so what??? What's your point?

Old
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
So did your mechanic, your contractor, your dentist, your accountant, the salesperson at Sears, the girl in the drivethrough at McD's! Your mom probably told you you could be priminister one day!

**** happens, things don;t go as planned! Get over it! He said in the press conference.

" I was hopeful we can do it faster, we haven't"
"I don;t like what's happened here, I don;t like the lack of progress. Obviously I am the one driving thebus, I am ultimately responsible. I am not happy with were we are today. I thought we'd be further"

- He admitted he thought it would be quicker, it wasn;t! He took responsibility for it and stated that he is not satisifed with what has happened!

You want to lynch the guy for overestimating how long this was gonna take. You want him fired because he was hoping hew can do it faster but was unable to??? The guys human and the team was **** and it is gonna take longer! Either get over it or get out of it!

I don't want to lynch him. I just want him gone. He has earned it.